EVE Online

Cynical

Canuckistani Terrorist
The only thing that impacts training time is your attributes and you can raise those with implants, or change them around with a attribute remap. No more learning skills. If you had those before you should have some un allocated SP from when they refunded them. If you do you can assign them to anything.

Having 10m SP it will be worthwhile to use injectors if you have the isk to puchase them. The further you get along the fewer SP you get out of each injector.

If you use plex to raise isk right now is a pretty good time. Last week Jita got low on plex on the market and prices have skyrocketed as they have been lately but really took off even more.

Abyss space looks pretty good. Go with a cheap ship and no implants at first to try it out. You don't finish in 20 minutes you lose your ship, and your pod. It's part of the triglavian race that was officially announced today and the triglaian ships that have been in a while. The weapons ramp up damage the longer you go the more damage they do. They also announced some more triglavian ships today with a few sketches. Eventually a whole new ship line, now just frigates, destroyers, cruiser, logi, battlecruiser and battleship.

Dunno if you played since citadels were introduced. That's one of the biggest changes.
I haven't done much of anything before really, mainly remember doing missions, lowsec rats, did some trading in some kind of skillbooks way back that made me alot of money. I made the character in 2005, but literally have only played him a couple months total, I understand a lot of the game, just never took the time this takes to get a "path" going. Now that I can "cheat" a bit with SP, I might get over that hump and stay interested awhile.

This probe/scanning stuff seems interesting, I don't remember that. Is it all reasonably lucrative if you invest skills in it for casual player? Any ship for a Minmatar that I should focus on? Wouldn't mind being useful to a corp either, basically my only noob question for this thread, WTF should I do given all the damn ships. I don't want to focus skills on a Covert Op Cheetah and find out I'm useless to anyone else later kinda thing.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Exploration is profitable. Can be down and profitable with very low SP. In fact I think a day one alpha can do exploration. The higher your scanning skills the quicker it goes of course.

Even an alpha can do exploration. Take Heron. Fit 2 sensor boosters, run eccm scripts. You can and will be caught on sites and gates. But, you can make a bookmark in space, sit there with the 2 sebos running scripts and you will be almost impossible to scan down. Giving you time to scan, larning scann, or even go afk.To scan you down will require perfect scanning skills and an expensive implant set. Eve Scout the streamer offered 1 billion isk to scan him down in the heron and gave the system. Several hours later nobody had. Next best thing to a cloak. Heron because it has a good slot layout for exploration.

If you lose a Heron while figuring it out so what. Fitted ship <10m and you get much more profit. Largest single can for me so far 100m, 19 intact armor plates out of one can out several at a site.

I used to use a Cov ops. Now I use an intereptor. Bubble immune. <2 sec align time. If you are paying attention and someone lands on your grid or decloaks and you see them you can warp off faster than anyone can attack you other than a stealth bomber. I fit a regular cloak to cloak up at bookmarks while scanning or going afk. But not for cloaking while warping. Your biggest threat if you are paying attention is someone smart bombing on a gate and not getting close enough to dscan it down first.

I have 4 in scanning skills and 5 in the skills to use a t2 analyzer (archeoly and hacking). Exploration with t2 analyzer and the blackglass implant makes hacking almost nothing other than click. You get enough strength to kill all nodes before they can attack back. Click anywhere quickly and go lol. The t2 faction analyzer , the zeguma is not cheap. It does allow you to hack a data site and a relic site all in one module. The blackglass implant is +20 strength and -40 coherence. The way it works you'll have enough strength to kill every node before it can attack back meaning your coherence won't matter at all. All that is optional. Start cheap and see if you like it and get the hand of scanning and hacking.

You need 73 sensor strength to scan down the hardest/most profitable relic site in null. Hover over probes in game or fitting page to see what yours is. To scan them down in wormholes it takes MUCH less. It changed when alphas were added. Like low enough it will be very hard to make a character that can't scan them. But C1, C2, C3 wormholes get a lot of exploration traffic. In C1, C2, C3 wormholes the ones that have a pirate name in them are the same as null.

Handy chart.

Evescout is the in game channel for signal cartel corp all about exploration.

To get from X to Y in null and wherever quickly with limited jumps and avoiding the gate camps at first low/null system go thru Thera. Signal cartel maps it and post it on their website with handy links to zkill and dotlan to see where a good place to go is and such. Go to spot, scan down that sig to get to thera, go into thera, make a few bookmarks, it's 300 au across, scan down the one on the listing where you want to go. Go. Bookmark both sides of the conection in case you lose probes, or your ship and need to warp out in a pod.

A LOT of null is empty. Avoid the ratting systems you can see on dotlan by the number of npc kills.

Skill book trading ending for the most part last week. Now you can buy skillbooks from the character sheet directly without having to use the market, for a lot of books.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Borzak

Sorry about the long ass rambling post. If you want to do exploration of doing relic and data sites look for a youtube of "the rule of 6" will help a lot early on. If you want to do combat exploration that's entirely different.

Oh and there's a FoH channel named FoH suprisingly enough. People come and go. Been pretty low right now.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Tauro

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Exploration/scanning can be quite lucrative, if you go to the "right" 0.0 and do relic sites specifically. The good ones (best loot drops) are in space where sansha rats are (providence/catch/stain), they drop up to about 100 mil ISK per site. Serpentis relic sites are the second best, try in Syndicate (NPC 0.0). Its really empty there, good for uniterrupted scanning.

If you are into PvE you could also try the newer Abyssal sites (solo instanced combat PVE) introduced last year. They are reliably giving you good money but are not braindead easy:
Abyssal Deadspace - UniWiki
EVE Evolved: Ship fittings for EVE Online’s Secrets of the Abyss event | Massively Overpowered

• 1Like

Cynical

Canuckistani Terrorist
Nice, from what I've read there isn't any skill barrier other than profit you can get with all various scanning/exploration. Means I can play around with it no matter what. Game seems more noob and pve friendly since I last played.

I'll likely end up going the mining/industry route, even solo devouring a belt in a procurer is pretty relaxing like meditation for me, especially if I smoked a joint. I did mining ops with a corp in the past, and it was pretty much sit around and chill, that kind of gameplay works fine for me, especially if I'm away working a lot this summer. If I really want spicy, I can go solo mine null/lowsec, or streak around in a rifter for lulz right? The "crafting" side of things seems interesting enough as a side hobby. If I really hate it later, but still with the game, I'll throw isk at more combat skills.

I'll prob get into reading up on WH and Abyss when I decide to look for a corp, doesn't sound like inexperienced solo stuff.

WTF is with these NPC mining fleets? Fuckers keep screwing with my timer for my strip miners.

Borzak

They will empty out a belt eventually and you might have to move. You can attack them if you want. They bring in reiforcements of some sort (never done them) and from what I've heard the big drop is skins and maybe ore from the hauler. Not sure but I don't think they are a pushover.

Don't know how long you were away, mining now = rorq. At Eve Amsterdam over the weekened Fozzy said they should have nerfed the rorq earlier due to injectors (changes incoming on it). No shit sherlock. It was nerfed twice with the excavator drones pretty quickly after the change and introduction of the excevator drones. It was getting a plex worth (500 new plex) of isk out of mining in 3-4 hours at first. Like he just woke up and realised null mining is saturated with injected rorq's. Said he was glad so many people use it now since not many had been using it before, well except for off grid buffs that were removed.

Last edited:

Cynical

Canuckistani Terrorist
You can't use those outside nullsec right? I probably won't be there for a bit until I get used to things, according to evemon its within reach of what i was gonna spend on injectors anyway, but id rather put some points elsewhere, rather than rush it. I'll just top up with more injectors down the road if I gotta. I'm just gonna have fun with this for awhile, not gonna setup the printer, and get personal eve database setup yet.

People just solo mine in those things? They the mining Titan basically I thought? They never existed last I played, just read about them here I think.

Borzak

Yeah nullsec only. In certain plaes in null they are everywhere in large groups and some solo. Everywhere. When the excevator drones were introducted (same patch as alphas I think) which are capital mining drones usuable by rorq's only (bill each give or take) large numbers of people injected them and still do. Some guys you see post on reddit have a half dozen or more rorq alts in his on mining fleet all injected and paid off pretty quickly. They are reducing the mining yield of rorqs some, reducing the amount of excevator drones you can stick in a mobile depot. Procedure is you get attacked you recall the drones and stick them in a mobile depot. If you die you can come get the drones later and recoup most of your isk. The rorq also gets PANIC (Pulse Activated Nexus Invulnerability Core ). Rorqs drastically changed mining in null. Drastically. If you've never seen one it's pretty cool. They fold and unfold. They boost the fleet and such with mining and shields.

The Pulse Activated Nexus Invulnerability Core (P.A.N.I.C.) is a new defensive superweapon available exclusively to the Rorqual Industrial Capital Ship. It allows the Rorqual to make itself, as well as its allies, invulnerable for a short time. The activation requires an asteroid to be locked and causes a Weapons Timer for the user.

For the duration of this invulnerability, affected ships will be unable to warp and the effects make weapons (including drones) as well as Entosis Linking ineffective. As such, the module is a tool to buy time for reinforcements to arrive rather than securing a getaway. When affected by a P.A.N.I.C., a ship will also not be able to dock, cloak or jump in any capacity for the duration of the effect. Any ship that is within a forcefield of a starbase or tethered to a structure will not receive the effect.

You know you can moon mine in 0.5 systems now and they have/can get the same ores as null (I think it's very popular). A refinery (citadel) locks onto moon, blast it, and tractors in large chunk and blows it up. It takes a week or so to get there. if you warp to refineries in 0.5 you will see some of them, you can see the tractor beam with the giant moon chunk. Fracking.

Also Orcas can mine with drones now. There is the porpoise ship which is an Orca junior. It can fleet boost and mine with drones.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Cynical

Canuckistani Terrorist
I must have been really high yesterday, I do enjoy mining, but I'm not throwing a bunch of Isk/SP into it, and I'd need to run multiple accounts to get what I'd want out of it. I'm also remembering sitting in belts for hours and doing nothing else gets boring quick. Great for when you busy, and can't focus on the game though.

I'll likely go the cov ops/cheetah route with exploration, I always wanted to fly the cov ops type ships, even if its not considered the best for survival. At least I can get around easier, and do some actual exploration of EvE. I can still comfortably fly a battlecruiser, and with a little time a battleship, and I still have my procurer and mining/industry skills. My skill plan has essential core skills trained too, so I can fit these ships properly, not just sit in the ship.

With exploration relic is better? I have the choice between Hacking 5 or Archeology 5 in my plan, not both, I'll train the other after. I was going to go with relic, then around a week I can get the other and use those integrated scanners.

Aiming for a Loki a good next goal? While not the best, I was reading they still pretty damn good for exploration sites? I'll figure where I fit in EvE soon enough, I'll be corp hunting once I get some practice with this Cheetah in.

Borzak

Relic sites pay much better. You might get extremely lucky in a data site with a really expensive BP, but it's extremely rare, extremely. Relic sites if you want to actually make some isk.

Loot from relic sites takes up much less cargo space as well. Some of the data sites are very hard to scan down, but they're not hacking and loot sites, more combat/puzzle oriented. Most people run them with a T3C. I never do.

You can look at that chart I posted earlier, don't want to warp to a ghost data site not knowing what it is. You will die about 1 hack into the site. Oddly enough get a kill mail saying you killed yourself lol.

If you are right on the edge of being able to scan down a site. Get the scan % high as you can. If you get 80% or so or more. Then hold down ctrl and roll the scroll wheel to make the probes move in. You can go make them smaller and scan. Don't try moving the probes individually. Pinpoint formation 100% of the time. As you move the probes in with the scroll wheel the scan % will go up, until it no longer goes up and will start to drop off. I have to do this to scan the hardest relic sites with an interceptor. The crystal quarries. I could add modules or rigs to increase scan stregnth but I have more tank added to help with smart bombers on gates.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
I was heavy into Eve back around launch til about 2006, same time I was at Uni. Was awesome sitting in a belt mining while studying, occasionally typing a witty comment in chat. Then when done studying I'd go out and shoot shit.

It's still a good pass time if you want to watch something. But sitting there, only mining... fuck that.

• 1Like

Cynical

Canuckistani Terrorist
Nice, can always use more instant SP.

This exploration stuff is great, wish it had been around like this years ago. I pulled a few hundred million isk out of the WH systems I did yesterday. At this rate I can lose multiple ships a day and still make a profit, I haven't even ran into a threat yet. I finally realized it was 3:30am, when I last looked at the time it was 11pm, shit is addictive. I don't know what the longtime hardcore players of the game think, but the game is a lot more appealing on the casual side of things.

I'll likely want to eventually do the combat sites too, Loki is only 7 days training to sit in it, so I suppose I'll aim my training towards skills I need to use it properly. It says you lose a random subsystem skill with those ships, that mean you lose SP on death with those ships, or it means something else I don't understand yet?

Fooled around with that Project Discovery thing too, it seems pretty simple to find the transit each time, not sure I see the point besides Isk and reward crates. Am I analyzing data for the Chinese? lol

Borzak

T3C you lose one lvl of a random subsystem on death. If you don't need a certain subsystem trained up leave one at 1, or no higher than you need it. Unless you need all 4 at lvl 5....

Cynical

Canuckistani Terrorist
Yeah doesn't seem like something that would be an issue for me after reading up on it, I'd probably go with basic boost to shield tank or weapons. Losing SP is kinda nuts though.

Glad I went with Minmatar originally, all the ships I'm interested in is Minmatar tech.

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
What are the popular ships for solo stuff these days (exploration, missions, combat sites, whatever)? I just ended up downloading it again after a few years off. I can fly quite a few of the sub-capital ships but not all of them. I have a dominix and noctis left from when I stopped before but the other night I got blown up like 9 times trying to fly out to the system they're in and said screw it. Might have been faction warfare related cause I was still in Minmatar or could've just been someone camping the gate (was a 0.5 system) I dunno.

I have roughly 1.3b isk if that matters as far as good ships.

Last edited:

Borzak

For PVE now (it changes of course) drones and missles together. So Gila is king for combat exploration and the Rattlesnake for heavier PVE. A rattlesnake depending on your fit can hit 1500dps with 1/2 being drones and 1/2 being missiles if you have the skills for it. A passive shield regen fit with only harderners and shield extenders, and prop mod of course are popular for both. The Gila is popular for running the abyss sites.

The Gila is getting an upcoming nerf knocking the drone hp bonus down a bunch. I think this is aimed Abyss stuff. Will have no impact on me running 5/10 sites in a Gila. 43m OPE guaranteed, 12m bountiy and loot from 0 to most I've had was 900m on back to back ones. Depends on which ones you do of course.

Can always use faction drones. Twice the hp of t2 drones, little more tracking, and close to same dps and doesn't require t2 skills for them. They cost more, but depending on what you are doing with them you'll lose a lot less with 2x the hp. The ones that are Caldari Navy and such, for each rae in light, medium, heavy, and sentry.

For exploration on sites that have rats and stuff like the higher end data sites Tengu used to be the goto ship. I have no idea now after the T3C rebalance changed a bunch.

Of course for just general rattings there's always the semi afkable VNI.

Last edited:

Borzak

I mentioned this in chat the other night but never got around to explaing it. Dscan had some quality of life/use changes. It's still dscan but...

If for instance you are on a roam and want to pick on ratters running anom sites. They made it much easier/quicker to find them. Works for gates, citadels etc... as well.

Go to Dscan window/UI. Uncheck align to camera
At the bottom narrow your scan to 5%
Look at your probe scanner where it list all the anoms in the system, same list as sigs.
Hold down your d-scan key (V default) and while holding it down click on the anom you want to scan. As long as it's in range you'll see the window show the scan going and it will show what is on that site if it's in range.
Can quickly go thru the list of anoms that are in range. Same for gates and such.
Some instances you can do the anom list dscanning before your cloak wears off from entering a system.

No more using the map to find out what you can scan and watching the cone and stuff. Don't forget to set it back to 360degree scan if you want to keep an eye out for people warping in on you. No more having a 360 degree scan and having to "look at" something and narrow the scan down to see if that's where the ship that showed up on dscan actually is.

At the bottom of the window you can change the distance from AU to KM, down to 10k km. Which I would assume by the time something shows up on your overview and is withint scram range you really would notice and not have to dscan them down. Just saying.

That's my potentially useless tip of the day :) I've got lots of useless tips :)

Possily useless tip#2 I see people ask a lot.

If you are a citadel you can change implant sets with no delay if it's to a set at the same citadel, you only pay the fee. So you can swap out to combat set, back to learning set within minutes if you pay the fee. Just make sure it's not a citadel someone is going to offline or something. Poof goes implant set.

Last edited:

Borzak

Yes, if you can't tell I'm incrediably bored. My bio pretty much sums it up.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Cynical

Canuckistani Terrorist
Been looking for a corp since yesterday, holy fuck EvE players are super paranoid. Almost every conversation is an interrogation, and they are responding to my LF corp lol. I'm not even trying to join some serious pvp outfit or anything. I guess a 2005 character with no corp history could be considered suspicious.

I just want to go live in null/WH, not go through more hoops than doing security clearances for doing DoD contracts in real life.