EVE Online

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Best bet is probably getting your feet wet in Reddit's fleets or Goons or something like that if you have accounts for either site. You're a pretty huge red flag with that corp history.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Cynical

Canuckistani Terrorist
Best bet is probably getting your feet wet in Reddit's fleets or Goons or something like that if you have accounts for either site. You're a pretty huge red flag with that corp history.
Yeah I'm likely just gonna join a random corp for a bit until I get used to things again anyway, I need to organize my shit. I can content myself with PvE stuff for awhile, bunch of mission stuff I haven't done yet, and it won't hurt to build up some quick LP.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
You can start a few alphas and get the free 5m sp out of the way lol to inject them later.

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
Fit out a Gila and been doing some of the abyss filaments (t1-t3 whatever I get as loot atm). I feel like my fit could do a t4 but i'm a little scared to try one and lose my ship since I haven't made enough on the low tiers to replace it yet. They're pretty fun and a decent change of pace from level 4 missions.

Dunno what I want to end up doing long-term, might try faction warfare again once I have some funds built up. Living in a wormhole solo seems like too much work for me, especially since I don't have alts. Is it possible to live in null as a solo player, or would you be stuck using low/hi sec for markets/storage?

Borzak

Can fit one on sisi and give it a try for a t4 to see if it works. Lose ship, no loss. Markets are seeded with stuff at 100isk for each item.

I lived in a wh solo for a long while. Of course I wasn't running combat sites and such. I only lived in a C3 with a null static connection to have access to a different null all the time. Then would use null for exploration. Didn't roll any holes or such. I kept an alpha clone there to scan me back in if I got locked out. Moving stuff in an out solo would be a pretty big pain I would think.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Saw at top of thread, see no drama - I am disappoint.

• 1Solidarity

Cynical

Canuckistani Terrorist
I think EVE has settled into senior citizen home level of drama these days.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
Can you do planet management stuff in hi-sec systems like .9 and up?

I had a Tayra warp in on me as I was coming out of a filament at a random planet in the system I was in so ended up just warping out and docking in case it was a setup for an attempted suicide gank.

Borzak

The few I've done I just make a bookmark in between 2 spots and not a planet. Some people use a 2nd account in a cheap ship to sit at the abyss outside to let you know if someone is ready, and at worst they can jam someone and lose their ship/concorded while you get away in your more expensive ship.

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
Yeah I should probably set up a safe spot. The first gila I was using before was fairly cheap but it got blown up in a t4 firestorm so I went with a new much more pimped fit and would prefer not to lose it to like 5 alpha-strike ships saying hello, although it might be fairly safe against that, too. Not sure how hard someone would be hitting me through my 2 40% hardeners and i'm running 2 shield boosters for I think 800shields/2.2s but maybe it's closer to 900 with my blue pill up, don't remember.

Even with a safe spot, though, i'd imagine the risk of suicide gank would be the same since you can scan down where the filament was used while the person is running it, I think.

Cynical

Canuckistani Terrorist
I haven't read up on this abyss stuff at all yet, what kinda ships and skills are needed to do it solo? I've been focusing towards fitting/flying a Loki eventually, but can fit/fly a BC/hurricane well, and could probably fly a BS half assed. I just haven't branched and trained other ships I qualify for yet, all the basic skills are trained level 5 now, some of the more adv skills are 5 as well, and 90% of anything else useful is lvl 4. I still need some work in some drone skills, missles and weapon upgrades/adv though.

Thinking of getting a couple extractors and simply taking out all my mining/industry skills, and injecting them elsewhere, I don't see myself needing those skills, I have pretty much the same stuff on my alt account.

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
Abyss is for cruisers/frigates/destroyers. Can't use BC/BS.

Drone and/or missile ships seem to be the most popular from what I could find online (sacrilege or gila mainly) but I think for t1-t3 abyss stuff you can use quite a variety of ships. Missiles seem to be preferred but I think that's just EVE in general and i'm sure gunboats can do them too, maybe only certain types depending on your ship/fit though.

I didn't even think about using some extractors to swap my mining/industry stuff over to more combat skills, I might have to do that too although I have most of the stuff I use/need at lvl 4 and level 5 is so many SP that it's like multiple large injectors per skill so maybe not worth.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Xaven

Molten Core Raider
Want to get into EVE again but I haven't played since 2009. Anyone have advice or an article to read to get up to speed? I have a small child so more solo focused objections would be preferred.

Borzak

Want to get into EVE again but I haven't played since 2009. Anyone have advice or an article to read to get up to speed? I have a small child so more solo focused objections would be preferred.

Lot of changes. But on the other hand it's still a matter of shooting stuff till it gets to zero hp lol. The meta changes in ships for pvp and pve really come and go. I really don't know where to go and find about all the changes, some people say go thru the patch notes but that wold take forever.

For a lot of people the citadel change has been huge. May not apply to you. POS are on the way out and most player owned structures are now citadels, engineering complexes, and refineries. They're everywhere. Saw on reddit the other day one system had someone spam 100 citadels in it.

You can tether to a citadel (undock or warp to zero to one) and get thethered. Free repair and invulerable.

The rest of it I dunno, other than try it and look up or ask questions here or in chat for any that come up. Or join a corp and they'll know. Or join the FoH channel in game.

Can always use an alpha player to find out what you don't know. I still use an alpha to pvp in FW zones.

I have to be free to bail as well. No kids, but medical reasons. You can always do something you can warp out to a safe and cloak up quickly, or warp to a citadel/station. Losing ships is not a big deal at all, depending on what you fly. There's a LOT of isk floating around in game now.

Oh and old plex is now 500 new plex. It takes 500 plex for a month of omega time. If you have plex left from before just be aware a nuPlex is worth about 4million, 500 of them to make a sub. Aurum went bye bye. All stuff thru ccp is bought with plex now, game time, ship skins, skill extractors (used to extract SP and turns into a skill injector that you can reinject or sell on the market).

NO MORE LEARNING SKILLS. Big one. You should have a refund of SP you can use apply to any skill assuming you had learning skills back in 2009. Possibly some others. I started in 2009 and when I came back a few years ago I had a few million SP that had been refunded I could apply to anything.

I hear this one a lot. If you buy a skin it stays with your account. Not your ship. Loose ship the next one you can apply it to it. Only a limited number of skins are temporary, they're labeled temp. Very few.

If you do PVE drones and missiles (combined together if you can) or the meta for that now. Which means Gilas, Rattlesnakes, VNI
s and the Caldari missile ships. For pvp there's a lot more metas and ships used.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Borzak

Oh, and after 14 years they put an in game fitting tool. Now you can simulate fits, make changes and simulate them. Also import fits from website or share them etc...

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
Yeah in-game fitting tool is nice.

Fit an Astero and wandered my way out to nullsec today and someone from a corp in one of the systems I was flying through started talking to me and invited me to their corp. Any dangers to me for joining them as far as scams/whatever that's popular? Talked with the guy for a while and he seemed friendly enough and nullsec play is something I've always kinda wanted to give a go.

Borzak

It is kind of odd to get a random corp invite. But I guess. Don't take them up on the offer to move your stuff to null for you. Pack light and see how it goes.

Corp/Alliance own Sov or was it a renting corp? Be wary of renters that want isk up front to pay the rent.

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
He didn't say anything about wanting ISK. He said they could move my stuff if I needed them to for a slight fee but I just have my gila/clone for abyss and a domnix I was using for l4 missions and he said "oh no big deal then, you can get that stuff out here" and mentioned 2 market hubs that are pretty decently stocked in their area. Said he saw me flying through and that I had just come back to the game so figured he'd see if I wanted a home.

I think they own space, or at least the alliance they are in does. I recognized the alliance name as showing up over some of the systems I was flying through. I spose if the only risk is me having them move my stuff and stealing it then I don't have anything to worry about.

He said they were fairly casual too so my playtime wouldn't be an issue, which was one of the main reasons I never tried to find a corp for anything last time I played.

Borzak

Most corps have a jump freighter service to move stuff in and out and charge by the m3. Just kind of half joking I've heard people say they get scammed giving their stuff to a corp they join to move to null and poof it's gone.

Go for it. Nothing to lose really. Kind of suprised you didn't run into bubbles on the weekend tho.

Last edited: