Event Horizon (1997)

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Pandorum is a good watch as well if you like this. It's not as good, but it's the next best thing. Ben Foster is great.

• 9Like
Reactions: 8 users

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
i didn't particularly like pandorum. it was okay, i guess? the ending sort of normalized everything and i wanted it to go full batshit. ben foster, on the other hand, absolutely kills it. he's one of those guys that seems underrated, except i've never heard anyone actually underrate him. but he's also in a TON of otherwise crappy movies.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

DirkDonkeyroot

Blackwing Lair Raider
The first time I watched this I was home sick with a fever and this movie fucked me right up. Between the captain holding up his eyeballs to the flashing scenes of body horror when the fight at the core happens at the end, I actually covered my eyes while watching a movie for the first time in my life.

I will say that was the scaredest I was ever watching a movie. I blame the fever. But it was a while before I was able to watch it again.

I got my wife to watch this about 6 months ago, and she didn't sleep for 2 nights. I'm guessing you two aren't the only ones this movie put a mindfucking on.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
Pandorum is a good watch as well if you like this. It's not as good, but it's the next best thing. Ben Foster is great.

lulz ppl are stoopid
e9810331d0afc9877b168adbd6c4a63a.png

i give pandorum a good 7/10. giving it a score of 3/10 is like reserved for b-movie trash like new ghostbusters

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Ridas

Pay to play forum
Fuck this movie. Watched it at around 12 or 13 years old, alone and during the night. Was scared like a little child.

• 3Worf
  • 2Like
Reactions: 4 users

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
Fuck this movie. Watched it at around 12 or 13 years old, alone and during the night. Was scared like a little child.
A bit of an aside, kind of a discussion of responses to horror movies in general, but when I watched Blaire Witch for the first time I was alone in my apartment at midnight in the dark and it scared the bejeezus out of me. Now, mind you, I am a city boy at heart and terrified of the woods at night, so I had some visceral reactions to a lot of the scenes (the ending was "whatev" but the screams in the dark and the running around with just the flashlight really spooked me). I have rarely felt that kind of responsive terror as when I watched that the first time. Since seeing it since I didn't get the same "thrill", but oh man that first time.

Same with Event Horizon. I was pretty deep into the movie watching it the first time, you know how sometimes you just get soaked up in a movie? And when that fight happened at the end I could barely stand it!

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
is event horizon the first time we see the

"this paper is space, fold in half, warp!!!"

in movies that try to explain warp? or wormholes

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
is event horizon the first time we see the

"this paper is space, fold in half, warp!!!"

in movies that try to explain warp? or wormholes

Sam Neil could probably give a monologue about how the world was flat and I'd probably roll with it.

I don't like Prince of Darkness all that much (it's fine, it's just not something I'd seek out to rewatch more than I have) but goddamn if it doesn't have a couple really amazing scenes.

I do have a soft spot for Ghosts of Mars though.
Ghost of Mars is a special kind of horrible movie. When I first saw it in the theater, my buddy was high on acid making hilarious remarks throughout the film. There were maybe 3 groups of people and they were all laughing. That, Vinny, and flying decapitation is about all I remember from that movie.

Great fuckin' movie. The ending kinda undermines the whole thing, but plenty forgivable. The absurdity of a species living 1000 years or whatever without replenishable food.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Where are you seeing a 4K release for this?

Fun note In the Mouth of Madness is part of John Carpenters Apocalypse Trilogy.
Looks like it might just be a 4K rescan but encoded at 1080p for an updated remastered Collector's Edition. Need to find the original posting I saw on it to confirm.

*Edit: The "UHD" option is newly available on VUDU. Apparently, the 4K scan is available via Kaleidescape, and its file size is representative of it actually being a full 4K scan (50% larger than the original Bluray).

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Looks like it might just be a 4K rescan but encoded at 1080p for an updated remastered Collector's Edition.
Still the Scream Factory releases and 2k or 4K rescans are usually really good. They almost always try to get additional things for the release too. Rumor going around there is a VHS screener directors cut floating around. If true I hope they get their hands on it.

• 1Like

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
This is yet another of those movies that I'm in the vast minority of not really liking it as much as everyone else (Tombstone the other big one I can think of offhand). I saw it in theaters originally and just thought it was boring and lame. I rewatched it again a couple years ago just to see if maybe I had been wrong the first time. While I wasn't as bored this time around, I still wasn't super-impressed by it or anywhere near putting it on a "must rewatch every few years" list. Speaking of Ghosts of Mars, I'd rather watch that again than Event Horizon, even though I can objectively admit that EH is a better movie. It just does nothing for me. I was even playing WH40K at the time EH came out in theaters so I knew all about the warp.

Honestly, the best part about seeing Event Horizon in theaters was that my girlfriend at the time hated horror, but was pressured into going by all the other girlfriends my buddies brought along, and since I was already well on my way to despising her, I took pleasure in her hiding her face and turning away from the screen for like 80% of the movie. You'd think I would have loved the movie for giving her nightmares for months afterward, but not even that was enough.

I sat through Pandorum in the theater too, and came out of that highly disappointed as well. Even though I specifically said that I liked the girl, and she turned out to be Faora-Ul in Man of Steel a few years later (whom I loved). It was just an even suckier "space horror" movie than Even Horizon.

Fucker

Log Wizard
This is yet another of those movies that I'm in the vast minority of not really liking it as much as everyone else (Tombstone the other big one I can think of offhand). I saw it in theaters originally and just thought it was boring and lame. I rewatched it again a couple years ago just to see if maybe I had been wrong the first time. While I wasn't as bored this time around, I still wasn't super-impressed by it or anywhere near putting it on a "must rewatch every few years" list. Speaking of Ghosts of Mars, I'd rather watch that again than Event Horizon, even though I can objectively admit that EH is a better movie. It just does nothing for me. I was even playing WH40K at the time EH came out in theaters so I knew all about the warp.

Honestly, the best part about seeing Event Horizon in theaters was that my girlfriend at the time hated horror, but was pressured into going by all the other girlfriends my buddies brought along, and since I was already well on my way to despising her, I took pleasure in her hiding her face and turning away from the screen for like 80% of the movie. You'd think I would have loved the movie for giving her nightmares for months afterward, but not even that was enough.

I sat through Pandorum in the theater too, and came out of that highly disappointed as well. Even though I specifically said that I liked the girl, and she turned out to be Faora-Ul in Man of Steel a few years later (whom I loved). It was just an even suckier "space horror" movie than Even Horizon.
I'm with you on thinking it was bad.

The coolest part of the movie when they figure out it is an Earth ship and then it immediately shits the bed right after that.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Pretty sure you're thinking of Sphere there, Fucker.
They were explicitly sent out to retrieve the Event Horizon in the titular movie; it had vanished years before trying to take a shortcut to another system.

Granted, that might be the joke, but it looked off to me =|

• 1Like

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser

I've never cared for the Exorcist.

• 1WTF

ohkcrlho

In my opinion, movies that make you uncomfortable (not disgusted), are the ones that scary you.
And think about what the crew went through to do what you saw in those disturbing videos, imagine the madness was going on when that happened... Jfc.
Some scenes are pretty bad in terms of CGI but other than that, the movie is pretty awesome.
How in the fuck the director of the Resident Evil series made this gem beforehand?

• 1Like

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
In my opinion, movies that make you uncomfortable (not disgusted), are the ones that scary you.
And think about what the crew went through to do what you saw in those disturbing videos, imagine the madness was going on when that happened... Jfc.
Some scenes are pretty bad in terms of CGI but other than that, the movie is pretty awesome.
How in the fuck the director of the Resident Evil series made this gem beforehand?

He stuck his dick in Milla. Mortal Kombat, Event Horizon, and 20 years of Resident Evil projects for her. Yyyeeaahhh.

Kind of like how we lost Guy Ritchie there for a minute when the whole Madonna thing happened. Swept Away? Sorry, doesn’t ring a bell...

• 1Like

TBT-TheBigToe

Gemcutter
<Gold Donor>
Maybe there is a very, very good fucking reason we will never get a "directors" cut.

• 1Worf

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I saw Event Horizon in the theatres as a teenager and it was scary as fuck. I have seen it since and it isn't scary anymore, but still pretty fun sci-fi.

I also saw Pandorum in the theatres and it was pretty shitty. I generally like Ben Foster but he over-acts sometimes.

j00t

Maybe there is a very, very good fucking reason we will never get a "directors" cut.
such as? this sounds like there's some super juicy illuminati-but-with-the-warp hidden story... i'm really hoping it's not something simple like "the director's cut was probably just a garbled mess of a story"