Everquest - 20th Anniversary TLP

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I had one the best EQ experiences with Faceless on Agnarr. There are always a lot of personalities to manage in every guild hardcore or not and I really felt those guys stayed pretty proactive on keeping everyone together.
Faceless is a great group of people and tremendously efficient. The entire culture is successful because Zaide sets the tone. He is a lead by example type of guy, high energy, positive and enthusiastic. He will Ned-Stark a jackass if they ask for it, but he will also handle a basic screw up with grace and understanding. He is a rarity in this MMO space.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Cabales

Trakanon Raider
Yes you can play just a single character and mostly group just fine, going in to classic if you play a chanter, healer or tank it shouldn't be too hard to find a group if you go the pug route. If you choose a dps class though you might end up spending a lot of time lfg. Also with AoCs likely, you can just find a guild that raids on a schedule that fits for you. There will be guilds with all kinds of schedules.

Thanks, I pretty much play healers and tanks exclusively, so that should work out fine. I'll certainly be looking for a guild if I jump in too, so I'm please about the addition of AoCs.

Wingz

Being Poor Sucks.
They did a hardcore server before. It was called Discord. Open pvp at level 6+ with permadeath and full loot rights.

I was the 2nd highest toon on that server with a 44th level druid and my pvp partner was a 45 cleric when it ended.

They ended the contest 2 months early because <Darkwind> killed off all the competition to the point where there was only 20ish people on at a time.

It's funny seeing all the folks here clamoring for a hardcore server. You really don't want it.

As someone who joined that server I hated it personally. I was in West Commonlands as a lvl 6 pally and just killed a skelly. Was low health and some Rogue back-stabbed me right as I won and just laughed. Was it funny? yea probably but it pissed me off to no end. I would not want to repeat that experience..ever.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
I like using the change agents to get ordinary group stuff like fire giants and that elusive seahorse and in theory the efreeti dude (though I've never seen him up in an instance).

Would be cool if you could just make your own private zone instances that respawned and everything without being locked out for days.

Nate

Molten Core Raider
I don’t have high hopes for anything other than marginal changes to the current tlp formula, but I’d like to see the server open with kunark live or < 3 month expansion unlocks. Most people are going to lose interest in a TLP within a year or 2, if not sooner. With 3 month expansion releases, it leads to a never ending cycle of the “current” tlp server getting cannabalized in PoP by the next annual TLP.

Cukernaut

Sharpie Markers Aren't Pens
<Gold Donor>
Faceless is a great group of people and tremendously efficient. The entire culture is successful because Zaide sets the tone. He is a lead by example type of guy, high energy, positive and enthusiastic. He will Ned-Stark a jackass if they ask for it, but he will also handle a basic screw up with grace and understanding. He is a rarity in this MMO space.

I will also vouch for this.

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
1548957714821.png

LOL these names you guys used on test

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Wynn

Golden Knight of the Realm
I think it was the AOC's 100% that made it popular. Think of the amount of raid guilds that got absolutely 0 raid loot on Ragefire and we got raced on 95% of raids. We lost 2 DPS races in all of Ragefire and it was Rosengard / Bonlgon the homie doing some really smart and cool shit to catch us with our pants down.

Can you imagine no AOCs and being in the 2nd place or whatever guild and getting 0 raid loot every expansion? Fun for us to bully but not so fun for the community or health of the game.

On Lockjaw they imposed a GM/Daybreak forced rotation on us, surprised that didn’t happen on RF.

Wynn

I like using the change agents to get ordinary group stuff like fire giants and that elusive seahorse and in theory the efreeti dude (though I've never seen him up in an instance).

Would be cool if you could just make your own private zone instances that respawned and everything without being locked out for days.

I think they nerfed a lot of tbat and said many of those mobs were group content and shouldn’t be in AoC. I think the named FGs will still spawn in a SolB instance but only after like 5 hours of uptime.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
They can drop MoTM but keep Mark of the Old Ways so that raid mobs ignore pets. If they continue to scale back skill caps and innate AA it will make it even more feasible.

I was still a teenager when I made Faceless on Vulak. I had no crew, no plan, and no idea what it meant to compete. Of course we got stomped.

Just remember that any time someone talks about beating me on Vulak its an old man reminiscing about the time he beat a teenager at a video game ten years ago.

If you weren't Damdor or some officer you probably just picked the top guild and pressed two buttons when you were told. I respect the guild leaders who beat me, not the warm bodies.
Lol damdor. Dude was probably the biggest abuser of macroquest/showeq ive seen. I still remember him dropping down into the vox pit then warping back upwith everything to train you guys.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Lol damdor. Dude was probably the biggest abuser of macroquest/showeq ive seen. I still remember him dropping down into the vox pit then warping back upwith everything to train you guys.
I was in EoE for awhile, damdor was a huge cunt to anyone not in the guild. Training other raid groups as they formed was common, leapfrogging and killstealing even on bosses we didn’t need anything from just go fuck with those guilds and slow them down happened pretty much daily. MQ seemed like a given, but i don’t think I ever heard him admit it

On the inside it was pretty funny though

Sterling

El Presidente
You want dudes like that to defend America. You generally hate when you're on the wrong side of it, but it's something guilds really do benefit from in some situations.

gugabuba

Does there tend to be a big enough community to support this play style on these servers, or is it pretty much hardcore raid or go home?

I still need to decide if I'm willing to fight with the antiquated interface, but my EQ memories are so good that I'd love to go back and relive some of it...I think.

Generally taking a casual-medium intensity approach, my experience has been that you have to fight against the efficiency incentive structure in the game to have any fun. Assuming these rules are like prior servers I'd say be very purposeful about how you play.

Up to the level cap you can definitely group and go at whatever pace (at least up through PoP). But pickup groups congregate in a few zones starting around level 12 (unrest-lower guk-seb-velks-grieg's-fire), which is possible thanks to pick zones. It is very possible to level in just a few zones and can be hard to get people to leave them.

One of the side effects of the AoCs and the way they've buffed raid targets is that at max level the most effective way to get good loot is to join a guild doing 72 (later 54) man raids. These are boring and generally trivial, at least for rank and file members. They've been especially boring when I've only really had the playtime to make 1-2 raids a week and so I haven't known the guild well enough to make shooting the shit with people on these big raids any fun. Doing group or lower tier raid content just feels like a waste of time when the big targets are sitting there waiting for you to make an instance with your 71 closest friends.

gugabuba

buttt you can kill most anything with mid 20s as well. which actually does make it fun

Mid-20s seems hard and most of the mid-tier types of guilds are big. I guess my point is that it is easy to get funneled into boring shit if you're not thoughtful about it.