Everquest - 20th Anniversary TLP

Kaines

Potato Supreme
on one hand, instancing makes the game boring and crushes player involvement, since everyone has their own sandbox there is no rivalry between guilds and there are very few emotions involved

on the other hand, the great majority of the current EQ audience only wants to play ez-mode eq

this is why we can't have nice MMO's

i'd rather have my trak stolen and train the fuckers that did it the week after, then kill an instanced trak every week

I appreciate your preference in the way you enjoy your MMO's, but the market has spoken. Your version is not a viable economic model for long term success. Sorry.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Mwapo

Golden Knight of the Realm
I appreciate your preference in the way you enjoy your MMO's, but the market has spoken. Your version is not a viable economic model for long term success. Sorry.

I wouldn't call anything everquest is doing a viable economic model for long term success though. Right?

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Vanessa

Uncle Tanya
<Banned>
Am I the only one getting salty at their lack of deets and losing interest in this faster than a gay dude at a strip club?

I know patience is a virtue but I mean c'mon... how difficult is it to flesh this out and let the playerbase know something?

• 1Worf

Kaines

Potato Supreme
I wouldn't call anything everquest is doing a viable economic model for long term success though. Right?
Which some old-school MMO'ers have a hard time grasping. The market has moved on from their horse-and-buggy MMO. Sure it had some charm and a few redeming qualities, but time marches on.

Sterling

El Presidente
I would enjoy a no AoC server. The problem is I don't think it's sustainable and if one guild dominates for a long time other guilds fall apart and either join the winning guild or just quit. I can't imagine a server like that would ever maintain a real population since I think the majority of TLP people are perfectly happy getting their nostalgia fix 2 or 3 nights a week on schedule.

• 1Like

yerm

Golden Baronet of the Realm
A no aoc server needs something else to compensate. A mass respawn happy hour where they force-respawn ALL motm mobs at x times each week so guilds can prep and rush but not poopsock more than 1? Sounds fantastic and never gonna happen too much work. Putting in anti-camp mechanics like punting people out on respawn? Annoys nearby xpers and just moves the poopsock starting line to server select which is even more awful. Rotations are cancerous regardless and very exploitable with such low cs awareness. Top guild monopoly means bad news for a tlp.

This is why my "ideal" server is a luclin start with aocs and a lvl 50 cap. It's doable. My first idea above is better but out of the dev's scope. So many awesome ideas fail because we forget that just the aocs we have took literal months to get right and then still bugged out now and then.

Not a shred of doubt in my mind that at least combine/sleeper and phinny were massive financial successes, if not almost all the tlps. In fact I bet either none or only special events were NOT profitable.

Metalhead

Blackwing Lair Raider
Selo and Mangler Progression Servers - Coming March 16, 2019! | EverQuest Forums

Next month, EverQuest will turn 20 years old. Together, we've shared 20 rich years of magical moments and created countless memories in Norrath.
Of course, we're excited to keep creating this magic with all of you. Beginning on EverQuest's 20th Anniversary, we will have the chance to start together in Norrath once again, on the new Progression Servers Selo and Mangler. These True Box Progression Servers will launch on Saturday, March 16, 2019 for EverQuest's 20th Anniversary!

What is a True Box Progression Server?
An EverQuest Progression Server is a way to experience EverQuest as it grew over time. It begins with access to only the original zones that were available at a specific point in the game’s history, then gradually adds expansions at varying intervals specific to the rules of the server. On a True Box server, each player will only be able to play on one EverQuest account from their computer. We want to encourage players to play with their friends on this server, and not just form groups of only their alts. If people are truly wanting to multi-box, they’ll have to do it the old-fashioned way - with a whole lot of computers!

Selo Progression Server
502.png

The Selo Server will be a "fast" or "casual" Progression Server. This means that gaining experience will be much easier, with experience nearly double that of Ragefire or Lockjaw when the server launches. Additionally, instances can be reused more often, rares are more likely to spawn, and faction is earned more quickly.
This server will start during the Shadows of Luclin era, and will unlock new expansions on the first Wednesday of each month, starting with The Planes of Power on May 1, 2019. Once the server catches up to the present era, it will become a Live server.
For more detailed information on Selo, you can read the server FAQ here.

Mangler Progression Server
501.png

The Mangler Progression Server will be a more hardcore server that is tuned to feel similar to the original EverQuest launch - perfect for those who are looking for a challenge. Experience rates will be slightly lower than those on other Progression Servers, and players will lose more experience on death.
Unlocks will initially happen every 12 weeks, but after Gates of Discord unlocks, expansions that do not include a level cap increase will remain current for just 8 weeks before the next unlock. If an expansion does include a level cap increase, it will last for a full 12 weeks before the next expansion is released.
For more details on Mangler, you can check out the server FAQ here.

Like other Progression and special ruleset servers, you must have an All Access Membership to play on either of these servers. In addition to letting you join the server, All Access Memberships include other great benefits, like 10% off most Marketplace purchases, and a claimable 500 DBC grant each month! For more details and to sign up for membership, you can visit the Membership page here.

Whether you're gearing up for a challenge, or just looking to enjoy the adventure again, we can't wait to see you on Saturday, March 16, 2019!​

• 1Worf
  • 1WTF
Reactions: 1 users

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Rofl. Told you. Nothing cool just more penalty, slower exp and lose more on death, Just wow, they couldn't be any more less creative.

Casual server actually sounds awesome. Starts in luclin(when classes start to be robust) and fast unlocks, super fast exp, more rares, still true box, 3.5 day lockouts. I might actually play again on this server. Would be almost perfect it they allowed 1 box per account.

Honestly the 1 month expac and 3.5 day lockouts might be a bit too much for some casual guilds.

Last edited:

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Q: What’s the XP rate on Mangler?
Earning experience on the Mangler server will be faster than original EverQuest at launch, but slower than every other progression server.

Q: How is this server different from other Progression Servers?
Mangler is what we refer to as a Challenge Server and is tuned to be closer to the original launch experience of EverQuest. The XP rate is lower than other progression servers, more XP is lost on death, there are no focus effects until The Shadows of Luclin unlocks.

Slower than Phinny/Coirnav? Go fuck yourselves. "Faster than EverQuest at launch" is a line they've used a few times over the years and it's just nonsense. Coirnav and Phinny are already slower than launch EQ with the dumpstered quest exp rates.

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
ooooooooh so scary!!!!

THE MANGLER

Jesus Christ what is this shit the 1995 Texas State Fair?????!!

What's the next server name ??? GRAVEDIGGER and BIGFOOT?

Last edited:
  • 1Worf

Elderan

Blackwing Lair Raider
The hardcore server is a joke.

The casual server is as well, 1 month unlocks are way too fast.

Maybe their plan was to make Coirnav look better?

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
One month unlocks with fast XP and a luclin start at least means Selo will be fun to dick around on. Most classes are viable by that era, there's actual gear for melee to use, etc.

No way am I socking any of this though.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Thinking about it more Selo seems a little misguided with its super fast unlock speeds but I could see it being a hilarious clown car wreck as people race to kill Aten in the shittiest fucking gear possible. Its got some merit as a short-duration challenge server and could be really memorable.

I don't think Mangler is actually for anyone. Having focus effects disabled is good. Having the exp rate be the worst of any progression server to date is not. I hope they reevaluate what they're doing with that one but I doubt it. Hey, Phinny was super popular and Coirnav did alright so maybe I'm the crazy one but Jesus it sounds awful.

yerm

1 month is NOT too fast. This is what combine and sleeper had, without hyper xp or extra rares or any instances, and it was fine. Eq was balanced around a fuckton less loot than aocs allowed and until them only one or maybe a couple guilds even touching top items.

Everything will be fine. Selos is a really good idea that needs to not get fucked with. Mangler, heh, fuckem.

• 1Like

lost

<Bronze Donator>
at this point why leave coirnav? pop opens this week and will be faster than hardcore and only an expansion ahead of the casual server, and yeah 1 month unlocks is too fast IMO unless you want to ride the wave to experience the upper expansions but you wont get bis each expansion cause 1 month is too fast. - played on sleeper. so you wouldnt reeally get to experience the newer expansions cause by the time you get your feet wet youll be moving onto the next, i remember how it was on the sleeper. you go out one weekend miss a raid (cause was no AOCs) then the guild could decide to "take a week off before the next expansion" and you miss it. I remember getting my VT key with IV and i went out that weekend came back they said that was the only VT raid they'd do before the next expansion opened, i was like wat? i spent all that time keying as a solo monk for wat? they ought to remove key requirements if its going to be one month unlock.

will be interesting to see where people go. people that go hardcore probably be investing in PL services M Mommy lol, only thing ive noticed is slower xp = more PL services. to me it makes more sense casuals would want longer unlocks so they have time to get BIS or make multiple alts, i dont get how DBG doesnt understand this. the whole complaint about sleeper/combine WAS that they would unlock in a month and people couldnt experience their favorite expacs long enough. the whole reason some of the votes failed on what fippy?.. was cause casuals wanted more time to experience shit..

but yeah wtf no corpse runs?! this is so dumb.

i guess in DBG's eyes, TLPs are the new "flavor of the year" and faster unlocks means its an easier server but the "casual" should expect to be playing multiple of these servers a year instead of just one cause its "easier." where as the whole concept behind a progression server was to relive the content.....

Last edited:
  • 1Like

yerm

Vacation time scheduled 3/18-19. Gonna do a beastlord; debating a box (cleric probably if so). Time to shmooze a guild.

1544213858079.png

• 1Like