Everquest 3 - 2028?

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
The original FF14 shut down. What exists today isn't the original FF14. What part of this are you too stupid to understand?
And the LOTRO that exists today isn't the original LOTRO. MMOs change. And yes, I am aware that FFXIV underwent an overhaul, and that it is one of the most successful MMOs of all time. It is not a failure by any metric.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
And the LOTRO that exists today isn't the original LOTRO. MMOs change. And yes, I am aware that FFXIV underwent an overhaul, and that it is one of the most successful MMOs of all time. It is not a failure by any metric.

It was a massive fucking failure if you're going by the original game that actually shut down. "Shutting down" isn't a metric to you that would indicate failure?

You clearly didn't know or forgot about that, and the "hurr lotro has changed too since it was released 11 years ago" is a pretty pathetic attempt to save face. The entire point of it all is that it's the game that matters, not the IP.

• 1Potato

Chris

Potato del Grande
The original FF14 shut down. What exists today isn't the original FF14. What part of this are you too stupid to understand?
FF14 didn't shut down. The devs apologised and it went free to play until the first expansion which fixed the game.

Nobody is saying that original FF14 wasn't a failure. You appeared to be saying that modern FF14 is a failure compared to modern Lotro, when WoW and FF14 are competing for largest MMO right now.

I'm saying that new MMOs don't really stand a chance to be truly successful without being a sequel to a big non MMO gaming IP. Even big non gaming franchises like Star Wars and Lotr got to subsistence money and nothing else.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

hory

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
They needed something hot to keep the stock from plummeting. Expect to see the CEO sell 1 million shares while its up.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Chris

Potato del Grande
lol what? Why are you just making shit up?
Oh I googled it and there was a half a year gap between, my bad. They did apologise and make the sub free though.

That still doesn't make LOTRO more successful than FF14 or damage my initial point. I'm talking about the target market here, not dev fuckups.

Everquest 3 has no target market. FF14 did and exploited it once the game was fixed. LOTRO didn't have a strong game leading into it.

• 1Like

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
You down for EQ3 static group big dog?

I quit my job and moved to the desert to begin fasting and working out in preparation.

american gladiators pain GIF

• 2Like
  • 2Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Oh I googled it and there was a half a year gap between, my bad. They did apologise and make the sub free though.

That still doesn't make LOTRO more successful than FF14 or damage my initial point. I'm talking about the target market here, not dev fuckups.

Everquest 3 has no target market. FF14 did and exploited it once the game was fixed. LOTRO didn't have a strong game leading into it.

November to August is more than 6 months, but the point is an IP gets people to try your game it doesn't keep them there if the game sucks.

People didn't drop New World 2-3 months later because they suddenly realized it was a new IP.

Eq3 would probably fail because the company has no idea what they're doing and most MMOs fail anyways. It won't be because of the IP.

• 1Like

Chris

Potato del Grande
November to August is more than 6 months, but the point is an IP gets people to try your game it doesn't keep them there if the game sucks.

People didn't drop New World 2-3 months later because they suddenly realized it was a new IP.

Eq3 would probably fail because the company has no idea what they're doing and most MMOs fail anyways. It won't be because of the IP.
New World would have been bigger if it had an IP and still failed

New World would have been a better game if the studio had made an RPG previously and maybe not failed.

Everquest has neither of these things. WoW had both.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
New World would have been bigger if it had an IP and still failed

New World would have been a better game if the studio had made an RPG previously and maybe not failed.

Everquest has neither of these things. WoW had both.

My fault for using actual real life examples. I should have just made shit up and then accepted them as facts

• 1Solidarity

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
It was a massive fucking failure if you're going by the original game that actually shut down. "Shutting down" isn't a metric to you that would indicate failure?

You clearly didn't know or forgot about that, and the "hurr lotro has changed too since it was released 11 years ago" is a pretty pathetic attempt to save face. The entire point of it all is that it's the game that matters, not the IP.
You were the one tossing out the fucked up examples. LOTRO had a very brief peak at release when lots of people played it, then it had zero retention and has been on life support for over a decade. FFXIV did have a rocky start, but they turned it around massively and are now a juggernaut in the MMO marketplace. FFXIV is a massive success by any metric you can toss out. LOTRO.... not so much. ROI. Sub counts. Profitability. Relevance. Longevity. FFXIV just beats the ever loving shit out of LOTRO.

But by all means, keep trying to argue about it, it just makes you look stupid.

• 1Truth!

Chris

Potato del Grande
My fault for using actual real life examples. I should have just made shit up and then accepted them as facts
You can quibble a few details I'm slightly misremembering, my bad, but regardless the spirit of my point remains...

Everquest isn't a solid IP anymore, it was buried by WoW. Any use of the Everquest IP would just hold them back in story and setting with little nostalgia gain.

Daybreak isn't a games studio and hasn't ever made a game, it's an MMO graveyard.

So what are we expecting here?

They have a relationship with MTG via their maintenance of the MTG Online graveyard. MTG is the best potential IP for an MMO imo - they should go for that.

Even then they should make a proof of concept game first, like a MTG ARPG or something, otherwise it's just more vapourware.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
You can quibble a few details I'm slightly misremembering, my bad, but regardless the spirit of my point remains...

Everquest isn't a solid IP anymore, it was buried by WoW. Any use of the Everquest IP would just hold them back in story and setting with little nostalgia gain.

Daybreak isn't a games studio and hasn't ever made a game, it's an MMO graveyard.

So what are we expecting here?

They have a relationship with MTG via their maintenance of the MTG Online graveyard. MTG is the best potential IP for an MMO imo - they should go for that.

Even then they should make a proof of concept game first, like a MTG ARPG or something, otherwise it's just more vapourware.
Lmao MTG Online is finally dying? What happened to the people who built their retirement accounts in there???

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I quit my job and moved to the desert to begin fasting and working out in preparation.

I'm moving out to Cambodia and fighting in the tar pits to strengthen my fortitude.

hot shots tar pits.jpg

• 1Mother of God
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Pharone

Trakanon Raider
While I would love to see a company put real money in to making an actual EQ3, I just don't have any faith in the current development company's ability to do anything meaningful at this point. I mean look at the expansions they have put out for EQ over the past decade. It's extremely minimal with very little actual content. They put more effort in to making new shades of bunnies every year than they put in to making actual game content.

The thing that pisses me off the most is that they had potential, a lot of good people worked their asses off for that company over the years, and in the end, bad management fucked the whole thing year after year. I can not for a second believe that the average employee at DBG actually wants the shit show that the company has become. They're just powerless to make real change and right the ship.

Do I hope that EQ3 is real, actually gets created, gets released, and is an actual GOOD Everquest successor? You bet your fucking ass I do.

I just can't honestly say I believe it will happen. I hope DBG proves me wrong. I truly do.