Everquest - Agnarr Server: Sunset Mode

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
I made a paladin on Phinny and hated it so bad. 1-50 is a blast, you always have a group. Farming planes is ok, there are usually few paladins so you fill up on loot pretty quickly. But raiding blows, soloing anything is either stupid slow, or flat out impossible. I mean, they get their shine time starting in Velious, but man it's a long wait until then. SK is the only tank I'd consider these days.

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
It sounds that way, but expansions get finished in a few days and with splitting instances and everything else everyone gets all the gear they want pretty much before the 12 weeks anyways.
How long does it take to reach max? Cause P99's leveling is long as shit.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
If this has the same rates as LJ/Ragefire it's not that bad. The initial weekend of socking on LJ I made it to 40 over the weekend, probably like 24 hours total playtime?

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Thrudd

Silver Knight of the Realm
Well, I rerolled a troll shaman. God, leveling is slow solo. Think it took me 4 hours to get to level 5 (plus getting used to the game again after 2-3 years). I forgot how annoying they made Innothul and the Feerrott with mixing difficulties. I might try rolling a halfling cleric next to see how that goes once I get to level 9 on the shaman (Gotta have SoW first)

A bunch of people want to do shaman already, so I might go cleric since no one has volunteered for it yet

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Well, I rerolled a troll shaman. God, leveling is slow solo. Think it took me 4 hours to get to level 5 (plus getting used to the game again after 2-3 years). I forgot how annoying they made Innothul and the Feerrott with mixing difficulties. I might try rolling a halfling cleric next to see how that goes once I get to level 9 on the shaman (Gotta have SoW first)

A bunch of people want to do shaman already, so I might go cleric since no one has volunteered for it yet
4 hours to 5 for a troll shm, fuck...

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
4 hours to 5 for a troll shm, fuck...

Leveling is odd. The very first few levels are just miserable. When you are level 3 and punching level 1 snakes the exp is horrible. Leveling actually speeds up for a time once you finish the initial slog. It is a big part of why organized grouping is so helpful. Stabbing an endless sea of yellows with a group is so much better you can hardly believe it.

• 1Like

Thrudd

Silver Knight of the Realm
Pretty much, it's a level or 2 of punching whites and yellows until you can get burst of flame. Then you run to the Feerrott to kill Lizards for quick gold from weapons to buy some bags and spells. Once you have some spells and gate, it starts to pick up, but the first few levels are terrible.

Once you get Frost, you can one shot half the blues, but the Feerrott has a crap ton of stuff to jump you that's yellow+ while you're trying to get the gold in.

That's also my first time leveling from scratch in that area in like 15 years too. I'm sure I can do it twice as fast as that the second time around anyway

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Yep, oddly for L1-3 or so on RF/LJ it was actually most efficient to group from what I remember even though it was counterproductive on normal servers.

yimmien

Molten Core Raider
I had at least 500 days /played as a mage and my feels tell me to pick it again, but my brain doesnt like the changes. Maybe wizard is the way to go. Or monk, both seem good for casual play with low gear requirements.

Sterling

El Presidente
I had at least 500 days /played as a mage and my feels tell me to pick it again, but my brain doesnt like the changes. Maybe wizard is the way to go. Or monk, both seem good for casual play with low gear requirements.
Wizards are amazing in classic and velious and luclin, good in PoP too, but kunark is fucking awful as a wizard.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Mage pets might of gotten neutered (because they got OP as fuuuuck through the years) in these progression servers, but I bet they are still better than live back in the day.

yimmien

Molten Core Raider
The best mage tricks from live that I am sure wont work anymore...

Bolt spells hitting twice by standing at a certain elevation, talk about dps.

Low level earth pets could root any mob in the game for a time, even raid bosses. I used to CC some shit in PoP. You could also single pull pretty much anything by SoWing a low lvl pet and attack/back off until it cast on it from range.

I used to have a clay bracelet from a sol ro temple quest, it had instant click Eye of Zomm. Pretty innocuous but they caused so many bugs. The best was they had it programmed to count as a pet for a while. You could summon a mage pet, then click zomm, mele kill the eye, and the server would think your pet was dead so you could summon another. I think I could summon about 40 before my fps was shit. Some great late night farming there when noone was around.

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
Here's the best mage trick, box 12

Moq0WLC.jpg

• 1Like

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Here's the best mage trick, box 12

I had only played on Sleeper prior to RF/LJ and Sleeper and Sleeper wasn't anything like RF/LJ. At all. Were Mages also commoditized slave labor on the other prog servers? Not only did we get super boxers (40+ types) eating up raid content and warping the economy but tons and tons of people had squads that they used for farming and PLing.

Kenadul

Golden Knight of the Realm
Cool, I was in Dealers of Death when Solusek Ro opened up, then I ran Necessary Evil for like 4-5 years.

Thrudd that's where we all know each other from then, I was Krassus for early expacs and then played Iyamm in BoR on Solusek Ro. Pikallo is playing with us on Phinny from BoR also but he goes by Dyll now. Bruuce is up around here still too.

It's cool seeing familiar names from so far back still hanging around.

• 1Like

rad

Lord of Guk
Ya monks are OP cause of that AA they get at like 55 and 60, increase the physical damage on top of their overpowered h2h tables with epic. But I've always hated not being able to gate and bind so I went necro usually. Yeah they wont let you stack poison line of dots anymore, not a huge deal breaker but they might venture into disease dots (shaman) or just our dots in general who knows, all to balance live servers i heard.

Stacking poison was the only way I could win freeti... #RIP

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
I had only played on Sleeper prior to RF/LJ and Sleeper and Sleeper wasn't anything like RF/LJ. At all. Were Mages also commoditized slave labor on the other prog servers? Not only did we get super boxers (40+ types) eating up raid content and warping the economy but tons and tons of people had squads that they used for farming and PLing.

People used mages for different purposes, mine mainly was to lock down Drusella Sathir in Kunark for the expansion. Most of the 40 box guys on Ragefire were RMTing I would guess.

It's not an issue on Phinny much and wont be on Agnarr. The true box code does a decent job but can still very easily be circumvented with VM Ware.