Everquest - Agnarr Server: Sunset Mode

lost

<Bronze Donator>
Yeah hard to enforce shit without recording it or if theyre dumb enough to do it after a guide spams hes around, otherwise GM's take forever.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
Edit: I also don't sell about 60% of the efreeti loot i get. I give a lot of it away for free to randoms and new players, and sometimes even to people in faceless, or i just stockpile it in my vault. I camp efreeti because it's the most contested camp in classic, and that aspect of it is enjoyable.
would any lurkers who have received free GEBS from Atabishi, Robin Hood of Agnarr, care to corroborate this audacious tale?

• 3Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
would any lurkers who have received free GEBS from Atabishi, Robin Hood of Agnarr, care to corroborate this audacious tale?

Shouldn't too hard to find. The price parsing site is down but just look for GEBS and Atabishi or one of his boxes in there. Not sure people use redguide to sell fruit boot.

Louis

Trakanon Raider
Yeah hard to enforce shit without recording it or if theyre dumb enough to do it after a guide spams hes around, otherwise GM's take forever.
Seriously, had a dj ring disappear from my inventory last week and petitioned about it. I have very little hope that they would reimburse it, but haven't even managed to get a denial yet.

lost

<Bronze Donator>
yeah good luck. my father had 7 krono disappear, sometimes the server will lag, specially during maintenance, and if you try to pick one up it wont work so you end up trying again and again, then you zone or relog and poof gone. told my dad for a month that he used them and wouldnt give them back, after enough bitching they did give it back.

its really about the gm you get though, ive been told by some that if you accidentally sell items they wont give it back but some have gotten it done so good luck on who you get. (yeah you didnt sell it i know)

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
TIL using SEQ and virtual machines makes me a hacker, does anyone have a foreign government or secret mission they'd like to send USA's number 1 most advanced hacker on?

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
TIL using SEQ and virtual machines makes me a hacker, does anyone have a foreign government or secret mission they'd like to send USA's number 1 most advanced hacker on?
@Atabishi there is a large gap between exploiting or "hacking" and using tools to passively help.

To give you a parallel you might understand just look at the kronos concept.

One player can buy krono, direct from DBG, and use that to pay for all of their gear and a power level. They would be better geared than someone else that had put in 48+ hours of work. All with just the input of a credit card number.

The usage of a VM instead of a physical box isn't hacking or exploiting. It's a refusal to buy a separate PC and all that entails when any modern computer can run 72 instances of EQ (might be an exaggeration) due to its low footprint.

ShowEQ is a little more gray but you aren't doing anything but looking at the packets on your network. You aren't manipulating them in any way.

• 1Picard

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
@Atabishi

ShowEQ is a little more gray but you aren't doing anything but looking at the packets on your network. You aren't manipulating them in any way.

Oh come on. ShowEQ is cheating just like maphacks in Starcraft or radars in any FPS. Calling it a grey area is duplicitous. Now -- should anyone really give a shit in this faux-nostalgia trip? Probably not. If you want to be king of the neckbeards then you gotta box and cheat -- if you don't want to cheat you don't get to be king. Just like, well, everything in life.

• 4Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 4 users

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
using my cell phone to look up answers on college exams wasn't cheating either.

• 1Like

Ridas

Pay to play forum
Of course it is cheating, but who really cares in a 20 year old game. I just raid casually and enjoy the game and the drama here. No PvP, no tryhard.

• 1Solidarity

sneakyflute

Golden Squire
An army of Asian boxers invaded Hate last night and promptly used ShowEQ to steal all our mobs before training us. Boy oh boy am I glad Daybreak is on the ball when it comes to punishing these people.

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
Using SEQ, ISBoxer, or running VMs are all forms of cheating. VM makes it so I don't have to swap my other PC's to steam stream and can just run it easier on my main box.

SEQ let us know when a raid mob popped, the mobs would stay up for sometimes 8 hours to a day so no one really gave a fuck. Its more just an excuse to rationalize not being able to DPS race for the 1 guild complaining.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Why are you being so pedantic about ShowEQ?
Just because. I find it gray, gray has black in it. I don't think it's not cheating and I don't think it is cheating. It's a tool that gives you an advantage but not an extreme one. Especially with instancing and /pick it just is meh. Saves you very little time and gives you very little information.

• 1Picard

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Is it cheating if the teacher leaves the notes for the test up on the board in front of you?

I don't think that designing third party tools to manipulate the client in order to see in game spawns is something that you can consider legitimate gameplay. I mean. I get that people do it and that its a thing.

Doesn't mean its not exactly what it is.

• 1Like

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Let's be real here. Imagine there was zero way to exploit reading packets to know when mobs spawn or not. If DBG somehow permanently broke SEQ. If this were the case, every neckbeard would have a ranger tracker box to remain competitive. A weaker ability to track mobs spawns / location is technically there in game already.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Let's be real here. Imagine there was zero way to exploit reading packets to know when mobs spawn or not. If DBG somehow permanently broke SEQ. If this were the case, every neckbeard would have a ranger tracker box to remain competitive. A weaker ability to track mobs spawns / location is technically there in game already.
Exactly. And with /pick it doesn't even matter.

It's not a huge enough benefit.

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider

We actually FD'd monks at most spawns for a long time before we used twitter. It's not hard to see a HUGE fucking dragon or boss in the one room they spawn in. Ninety percent of raid mobs went untouched for long periods of time, one guild likes to make a big deal out of it but like I said no one else really ever gave a fuck.

Mobs were left up from classic through Velious long enough where I scheduled clears at 11am and 5pm most expansions. I think in Kunark we had people poopsocking VS and just ignored him a bit and in Velious Rosengard got a little more serious and pressured us into raiding at 2pm EST. Besides those 2 no one even cared about open world mobs at all or they wouldn't have stayed up for 24 hour periods.