Everquest AMA Answered!

Barraind

Trakanon Raider
EQ Devs can never play to the same level as a hardcore player, which is ultimately what those questions are trying to show. It's a trap, because the next statement is effectively always, "You don't know shit about your own game. I know more than you do. You should do what I say to make it better".

So this makes me wonder if things changed from the era I knew devs to the era they had all moved on.

We had a dev raiding with us in EV from classic to the end of LDoN (she would webcam stream after raids and her icq screen name was suspiciously similar to her dev handle so it was pretty easy to confirm) and from her statements, that was a thing most all of them did, and it was almost expected for them to do that to catch things they missed that we didn't. It made some of the awful early VT weeks interesting when we hit stuff that wasnt despawning / spawning / working / not working / being a shithole of a zone correctly and the official word was "that shouldnt work that way, but heres the gflux trick to get around it"

I know of a couple Sony VPs that were also involved in the planes-dragons era (who were instrumental in making sure people weren't permabanned for mq and sEQ tomfoolery the first... few times it happened).

Had that changed by the time you were there?

If Prathun or Ngreth or Absor or any dev popped onto bristlebane and asked who wanted to do a GM event I imagine everyone would ask wtf they were doing and to get back to work.

Ngreth is (or was, it's been a year or so since I've logged in much) a pretty regular fixture of the Test Server bank rooftop.

Dude is a pretty cool guy.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
new AMA question for them:

p99 has over 3k players right now, all single box. Does this make you jealous?

• 1Barf

Zaide

TLP Idealist
The last time I participated in a "GM Event" it was actually E Elidroth doing it. It wasn't like the old style live quest events but it was cool to have him roll into PoFear during a poopsock in 2011 and start turning everyone into famous raid and dungeon mobs. I think we had people running around as Frogloks, Spectres, Scarecrows, Tunare, AoW, Innoruuk and Cazic Thule (especially confusing at first since we were mid CT sock).

Edit: I have have this gem
Elidroth.png

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

yerm

Golden Baronet of the Realm
P99 devs probably make more than daybreak staff. If you don't believe me because you can't figure out how, I envy you...

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
P99 devs probably make more than daybreak staff. If you don't believe me because you can't figure out how, I envy you...

If DBG wanted to make money the way the P99 devs make money, I'm sure they could make even more.

• 2Like

Greyform

Bronze Knight of the Realm
So not sure if talked about but DBG broke up into 3 studios and Darkpaw Games takes over EQ

This guy seems to think this might be a good sign EQ3 is in the works. But since part of his info is actually from this forum (In fact this very thread) I don't know if it's wishful thinking or an actual hope.

• 1Worf
  • 1Like

Zaide

TLP Idealist
So not sure if talked about but DBG broke up into 3 studios and Darkpaw Games takes over EQ

This guy seems to think this might be a good sign EQ3 is in the works. But since part of his info is actually from this forum (In fact this very thread) I don't know if it's wishful thinking or an actual hope.

Has to be close to zero chance this actually happens.

• 1Like

xzi

Mouthbreather
0 chance of them stealing 100$ again from hopeful hearted idiots, hopefully

• 2Like

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I there a plan to do another AMA?

I saw this and felt charitable enough to DM a_skeleton_03. His answer wasn't terribly surprising.

"Kind of hard to get an AMA done when Lightning Lord Rule Lightning Lord Rule and Amod Amod are going out of their way to ensure nobody in the industry will touch the community."

I do think it's unlikely DBG will bother responding to another AMA request if it's not from the guy who organized the first one.

• 1Like

xzi

Mouthbreather
I saw this and felt charitable enough to DM a_skeleton_03. His answer wasn't terribly surprising.

"Kind of hard to get an AMA done when Lightning Lord Rule Lightning Lord Rule and Amod Amod are going out of their way to ensure nobody in the industry will touch the community."

I do think it's unlikely DBG will bother responding to another AMA request if it's not from the guy who organized the first one.

I mean, in this age of the internet where your entire company can get blasted as racist for simply responding to questions on twitter towards people with pepe avatars, it's beyond me that they even participated in an AMA on this forum in the first place.

It turned out pretty good though for the most part, but it doesn't take much lookin around to find some shitheads lmao

• 1Worf

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>

It's called cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Like it or not This is the largest and most active EQ community that isnt directly based on quasi illegal emulation software. The people who run the biggest guilds with the most people and spend the most money all post here.

If they dislike what the community is or has become then they have to realize this is what their consumer base has come. And truthfully outside of the general forum that has NOTHING to do with MMOS, EQ or video games this is a pretty standard internet forum.

If they wanted to do an EQ press tour and they skipped this and went directly to MMOjunkie/Reddit and skipping FOH then all they will acomplish is reminding people that EQ still exists instead of the people who are currently vested in the game.

My personal opinion is we should not bother, This isn't reddit and we should not suck video game dev dick just so they can lie to us in an AMA. Remember when a_skeleton_03 tried to get some shitty mobile game tied into this forum?

What can Holly tell us that we don't already know? Their tiny company got split up for russian tax laundering reasons most likely and they will continue to support Daybreaks failing ventures by reskinning and remodeling the same 500 assets into new EQ expansions.

AMA over.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Kahleem

Trakanon Raider
I was originally super hyped about the AMA, but thought more on it and i'm glad I didn't end up disappointed (cause i wasn't expecting anythign we already didn't know).

I agree with a_skeleton_02 200% .

That being said, anyone up for the new TLP whenever they announce it this month? :)

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I was originally super hyped about the AMA, but thought more on it and i'm glad I didn't end up disappointed (cause i wasn't expecting anythign we already didn't know).
I have zero comprehension of what you just said.

giphy.gif

Kahleem

Trakanon Raider
I have zero comprehension of what you just said.

giphy.gif

>I was originally super hyped about the AMA,

>but thought more on it -----> Meaning I took a step back and went "Wait a minute, nothing will probably come from this"

>and i'm glad I didn't end up disappointed.... -----> After the AMA happened, I was glad I had stepped back to reconsider

>(cause i wasn't expecting anything we already didn't know). -----> Self explanatory

:)

• 1Worf
  • 1Like