Everquest AMA Answered!

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
It is my suspicion that even though the TLP servers are essentially keeping the entire EQ franchise alive, they are not getting their commensurate share of dev resources.

yeah man this is probably true. same old story of EQ1 profits going towards deving other games. TLP profits going towards deving other servers. it really is baffling how history repeats with this company haha.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Of course, devs don't have the time to play as much as hardcore players. However, that's not the question I asked. I asked them how much time do you play EQ each week. That's a simple and straightforward question. Let the EQ devs answer that question and let the chips fall where they may.

And yes, there are lots of hardcore players do know more about a MMO than developers which is why hardcore raiding guilds are used as alpha/beta testers. Many hardcore players have gone on to become notable devs in the industry.

I'd like to hear it from the actual devs themselves as to how much time they spend working. Yes, a person who has worked in the industry I have experienced 50-60 hour weeks and worse. When I was in the industry, I raided 3 hours a night. I think some honest answers from the devs would help players to understand the plight of devs and give them more appreciative of the sacrifices that are made to create the video games they love.

They may be meaningless to you but not to me and others.

The VP key quest is a terribly designed intentional bottleneck that has caused many people to quit EQ. It's a mean-spirited, tedious timesink that does nothing but frustrate players who want to experience more content with their guild. I know of people that have camped the Ancient Jarsath for 18 hours and had their AJ KSed from them on numerous occasions. I shudder to think what the total number of hours that some people have dedicated to completing the entire VP key quest.

Waiting for the random number generator to produce a rare spawn for a bloody zone key quest -- not loot -- is not an accomplishment. It's pure luck. Winning the lottery is also not an accomplishment. Of course, virtual worlds and real worlds are subject to randomness, but quests should be about achievements and accomplishments.

Unlike the EQ devs, I actually play on TLP servers. I've personally completed the VP key quest. Waiting around with 20 other players for the Pained Soul to spawn and having a DPS race to hope that you get the kill so you can loot the medallion is EQ at its worst and an utter disgrace. It's like throwing a piece of meat into a pit of starving dogs. Sadly, that is the reality for those who play on TLP servers with no Play Nice Policy and no GM support whatsoever. That's a reality that the devs who don't play have no clue about it and would change it in a heartbeat if they had to personally experience it.

If the EQ TLP dev team were forced to endure the VP key quest then they would know exactly what the players are going through. That would give them tremendous insight into the game design process. Don't force your players to endure preposterous quests when you won't do so yourself.

Let me ask you this: do you think a chef should ask people to eat food that the chef has not tasted himself? Do you think a chef that eats his own food would be a better chef than one that does not? How long do you think a restaurant will stay in business with a chef that doesn't eat his own food?

The general thrust of my article was that MMO devs need to play the MMO they are working on. My suspicion is that the EQ devs do not play their own MMO with any sense of regularity or dedication and sadly, it shows. Contrast this with how Blizzard operates. Every quest is extensively tested by devs who are working on other games within Blizzard. Blizzard employees play their own games.

Bottom line: don't expect players to play your shitty half-baked quests/content when you yourself won't do them.

The revenue that DBG makes is our business. Without the players who purchase Krono EverQuest will die. Yes, this is a strange partnership but a partnership nonetheless. We pay the devs, the devs make our game. All of us who love EQ want it to keep going. SOE and DGB don't have a track record that is inspiring, to say the least. Putting a spotlight on them and asking tough questions might actually help keep EQ going for longer.

Many of us who've played and paid for EQ over the years feel like shareholders. Shareholders should be entitled to know what is going on so the business can be managed effectively. Holly Longdale gave a disrespectful "none of your business" answer during the Reddit AMA and I think that was unfortunate. This is the same DGB that canceled EQ Next and Landmark and took a lot of money from alpha and beta testers for those products. We have every right to ask those questions.

Krono and Daybreak Cash and the All-Access Pass are the prime forms of monetization for the EQ TLP servers. I suspect that the TLP servers are subsidizing the EQ live servers. Holly Longdale admitted in a recent interview that each year EQ makes more money than the previous year. It is my suspicion that even though the TLP servers are essentially keeping the entire EQ franchise alive, they are not getting their commensurate share of dev resources. They could easily afford GMs to police the TLP servers, after all both Manger and Selo's are premium servers that require a subscription to All-Access Pass.

Thanks for sharing that. :)

Again thanks for sharing your insight. I agree with you on meetings. I hated meetings when I worked in the industry. I am an introvert and I'd rather be accomplishing something than chattering on endlessly in a meeting.

Fair enough.

You say that the rest of the questions weren't very useful. So you don't think it's useful to discuss why there are no more live dynamic quests, events and invasions in Norrath anymore? I was a Senior Guide and wrote and ran many official live quests. The players loved them. I got lots of positive feedback from the community. My goal as a volunteer was to help bring the dream of Norrath being a living and breathing world to fruition in just a small way. The fact that these events no longer are allowed is a tragedy and a betrayal of the spirit of EverQuest which was published on the official EQ website tilted: "Masters of the Quest" but no longer available but saved for posterity on my website:

If you can read that and not feel that SOE/DGB has shortchanged their players by eliminating all live events, then I don't know what else to say.

Every EQ dev has GM access to go on to every live/LP server and do invasions. What is stopping them from logging on once a week and having the deities visit Norrath for a good old fashion invasion? Nothing is stopping them, except a lack of will and imagination.

How about Krono as pay to win? You think Krono is not a pay to win scheme? How so? Do you think pay to win is good MMO design?

I do not doubt that you and your teammates were exceptionally dedicated and passionate. A few months ago I read and reviewed John Statt's:WoW Diary and he explained how hard everyone work creating the original Word of Warcraft. It was a grueling process and the WoW dev teamed were passionate about what they are doing. Can the same thing be said about the current EQ dev team?

You're one of the best posters on this forum because you give readers a good glimpse of what happened behind the scenes in the development of EQ. Although we disagree on some
things I really enjoy your perspective and thanks for the insights.

You're obviously very passionate about EverQuest.
You're also sounding very entitled.
The game came out over 20 years ago, you should be glad you can still log in and play it, and that there are even a handful of devs WILLING to work on it. I know if I was an EQ dev I'd feel embarrassed and would seek alternative studios/games at this point. You're flailing around building content for a small group of players in a game that is long past its expiration date.

Regarding a few of your points: I'm sure the devs played the game back in its heyday a lot. Plenty of guilds had EQ devs in them. I assume the 5 or so devs (if that) nowadays only focus on playing the newest and most recent content, maybe they participate in a TLP server for a bit, but then I bet they play modern games like most gamers. Which isn't terrible, because playing other games can give ideas... although probably not much that can translate well to EQ at this point from a modern game.

And the most shocking thing in your reply is thinking you have any share or partnership of the game. Wow. It's stuff like this that you only ever see from passionate MMO players. The entitlement is off the charts. As someone claiming to have "worked in the industry" (whatever that means) I'd think you'd be a person of reason.

But no... EQ people are just crazy. It's why I loved the game (the first 5 years).

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
wolfshead wolfshead You really have no idea of how the business is split between live and TLP. You say it's your suspicion that TLP is keeping DBG alive but you have absolutely no data to back this up. You absolutely are way too biased by your own personal experiences with EQ. The devs themselves said it was split but you must assume they're lying.

You sound a little unhinged. You want the like 5 EQ devs to spend 20% of their time doing live events? A horrible use of resources, since running GM events don't need people making $80-120k to run them. You seem to think EQ devs are somehow EQ producers or EQ execs. No, they're not. If the money people don't want to pay for things, that's who you should blame, not the actual developers.

Last edited:

Rali

Trakanon Raider
The revenue that DBG makes is our business. Without the players who purchase Krono EverQuest will die. Yes, this is a strange partnership but a partnership nonetheless. We pay the devs, the devs make our game. All of us who love EQ want it to keep going. SOE and DGB don't have a track record that is inspiring, to say the least. Putting a spotlight on them and asking tough questions might actually help keep EQ going for longer.

Many of us who've played and paid for EQ over the years feel like shareholders. Shareholders should be entitled to know what is going on so the business can be managed effectively. Holly Longdale gave a disrespectful "none of your business" answer during the Reddit AMA and I think that was unfortunate. This is the same DGB that canceled EQ Next and Landmark and took a lot of money from alpha and beta testers for those products. We have every right to ask those questions.

As others have pointed out. Just because you feel like a shareholder, does not entitle you to make demands like one. People who paid for Alpha and Beta testing of Landmark (or any other game, yes I'm looking at you, Pantheon nerds) and then lost that money hopefully learnt a valuable lesson about giving companies money for a product that doesn't fully exist, and it will prevent them from doing so again!

wolfshead

Molten Core Raider
You sound a little unhinged. You want the like 5 EQ devs to spend 20% of their time doing live events? A horrible use of resources, since running GM events don't need people making $80-120k to run them. You seem to think EQ devs are somehow EQ producers or EQ execs. No, they're not. If the money people don't want to pay for things, that's who you should blame, not the actual developers.

The devs should do those live events and dynamic quests in their free time. If they CARED they would. The original EQ Guide Program had hundreds of guides that spent thousands of hours answering petitions and running quests in their free time. We guides all had lives and jobs but somehow we managed to spend all that free time helping and entertaining players. You mean to tell me that the EQ Devs can't find the time to log on once a week, conjure up Cazic Thule (or some other deity....yes many are in the global file) and rampage his way through the Commonlands to provide some unpredictability and rare loot to a stale Norrath?

They haven't cared in years. It's a culture of indifference and mediocrity. Don't get me started. All that matters to them are monetization schemes and really important stuff like free Pride bunnies. Everyone who plays EQ knows this. And yes, I blame the lazy people at top for cultivating this dysfunctional culture at SOE and DGB over the years.

• 2Picard
  • 1WTF
  • 1Seriously?
Reactions: 3 users

Elidroth

Trakanon Raider
The devs should do those live events and dynamic quests in their free time. If they CARED they would. The original EQ Guide Program had hundreds of guides that spent thousands of hours answering petitions and running quests in their free time.

You're out of your damned mind. It has ZERO to do with whether they care about the game or not. Your time as a guide, while admirable, is not comparable to actually working on the game. It's also not the same for you to work in your job, and then go do events and things in EQ. A more accurate analogy would be you do your job, and then when you get home, you do your same job more, FOR FREE.

100% the devs on the team HATE having to deal with microtransaction shit. Your complaining about things in the current state of the game honestly show you have absolutely zero idea what game development is like. Sorry for the reality check..

• 4Like
  • 1Mic Drop
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

DickTrickle

Yeah, the guides spent their free time doing stuff because it wasn't their job they did 50-60 hours a week. Jesus Christ. It's appalling that you don't see the difference. Whatever your RL job is (produce stocking, clothes folding, fluffing, etc) go and do it for free for an extra day and see if that changes anything.

You are one of those unhinged EQ forum posters. Just quit the game already so your fanatic toxicity can go away.

yerm

Golden Baronet of the Realm
The devs should do those live events and dynamic quests in their free time. If they CARED they would. The original EQ Guide Program had hundreds of guides that spent thousands of hours answering petitions and running quests in their free time. We guides all had lives and jobs but somehow we managed to spend all that free time helping and entertaining players. You mean to tell me that the EQ Devs can't find the time to log on once a week, conjure up Cazic Thule (or some other deity....yes many are in the global file) and rampage his way through the Commonlands to provide some unpredictability and rare loot to a stale Norrath?

They haven't cared in years. It's a culture of indifference and mediocrity. Don't get me started. All that matters to them are monetization schemes and really important stuff like free Pride bunnies. Everyone who plays EQ knows this. And yes, I blame the lazy people at top for cultivating this dysfunctional culture at SOE and DGB over the years.

You quoted me and then inside it is not the actual text of the quote, and it doesn't read like something I would have written. I looked through the post between the article one and now and don't see it.

The fuck man?

• 1Like
  • 1Weird Boner
Reactions: 1 users

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
This is guy is proof as to why EQ devs rarely do AMAs. (As he states in his article)

These paragraphs are starting to give a whole new perspective:
I need to give kudos to the FOH admins for organizing the AMA because the tenured Daybreak Games devs hidden away in their non-descript industrial park bunker in metro San Diego don’t do many interviews. These days EQ is largely forgotten in the video game zeitgeist, like that creepy old man who lives at the end of your street in a house with overgrown grass and cars sinking into the ground.

As an aside, while on vacation in California, this loyal EQ fan for 20 years visited their headquarters unannounced hoping to buy some souvenirs and was told by a stern security guard at the lobby that unless I had an appointment I was not welcome. Fair enough. So much for completing my life-long quest of finally seeing the headquarters where my beloved EverQuest was made. Back when I was a volunteer Senior guide, SOE would give tours of their facility to guides who were in San Diego.

Last edited:
  • 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Elidroth

Trakanon Raider
People LITERALLY threatened to blow up Smed's house after the SWG changes happened.

• 2Worf
  • 1Rustled

DickTrickle

This is guy is proof as to why EQ devs rarely do AMAs. (As he states in his article)

These paragraphs are starting to give a whole new perspective:

Holy shit, this guy is actually a loon. Who shows up unannounced at a place of business hoping to buy souvenirs? This isn't Disneyland.

• 2Worf

Il_Duce Lightning Lord Rule

Lightning Fast
<Charitable Administrator>
Sounds like perfect FoH material to me.

He's even got his own newsletter to subscribe to!

• 1Like
  • 1Worf

Elidroth

Trakanon Raider
As an aside, while on vacation in California, this loyal EQ fan for 20 years visited their headquarters unannounced hoping to buy some souvenirs and was told by a stern security guard at the lobby that unless I had an appointment I was not welcome. Fair enough. So much for completing my life-long quest of finally seeing the headquarters where my beloved EverQuest was made. Back when I was a volunteer Senior guide, SOE would give tours of their facility to guides who were in San Diego.

Couple problems with this..

Who's going to give you that tour? Certainly not the dev teams.. They're too busy working on the games. In the 9 years I worked at SOE/DBG, the ONLY time we did tours was during specific events where there were people setup specifically to do this, such as when Comic-Con was happening. We never did ad-hoc tours just because someone showed up at our offices. We also don't have souvenirs for sale, because again, we don't have stuff like that. When we print up t-shirts, or have things made, it's for specific events like FanFaire or GDC, or similar.

I can completely understand that you loved the games, but replace SOE with literally any other workplace.. Would they give you a tour just because you showed up and asked for one?

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
I was just on vacation in San Diego where I grew up.

I had scheduled way in advance a lunch with Holly and two lead deva. We had time for lunch off campus and about ten minutes on campus just to see their common areas. It’s not a place to buy stuff or visit.

• 3Like

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
Couple problems with this..

Who's going to give you that tour? Certainly not the dev teams.. They're too busy working on the games. In the 9 years I worked at SOE/DBG, the ONLY time we did tours was during specific events where there were people setup specifically to do this, such as when Comic-Con was happening. We never did ad-hoc tours just because someone showed up at our offices. We also don't have souvenirs for sale, because again, we don't have stuff like that. When we print up t-shirts, or have things made, it's for specific events like FanFaire or GDC, or similar.

I can completely understand that you loved the games, but replace SOE with literally any other workplace.. Would they give you a tour just because you showed up and asked for one?

I has waffles.

Also weed.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
The devs should do those live events and dynamic quests in their free time. If they CARED they would.
If Prathun or Ngreth or Absor or any dev popped onto bristlebane and asked who wanted to do a GM event I imagine everyone would ask wtf they were doing and to get back to work.

Elidroth

Trakanon Raider
for good reason.

Actually no.. Not for good reason. Lucasarts/Lucasfilm demanded the NGE changes. SOE didn't have creative control over SWG at all. Smed had to suck it up, put on the smiling face, and try and sell it to the players. That whole debacle was way out of Smed's control, and he got roasted for it..

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Actually no.. Not for good reason. Lucasarts/Lucasfilm demanded the NGE changes. SOE didn't have creative control over SWG at all. Smed had to suck it up, put on the smiling face, and try and sell it to the players. That whole debacle was way out of Smed's control, and he got roasted for it..
you and your facts have no place when it comes to butthurt!