Everquest AMA Answered!

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

wolfshead

Molten Core Raider
Holy shit, this guy is actually a loon. Who shows up unannounced at a place of business hoping to buy souvenirs? This isn't Disneyland.

I was on vacation in San Diego with my wife. One day we had some extra time. I always wanted to see where the SOE -- now DGB -- studio was. I had spent many years volunteering as a Senior Guide for SOE I stopped by, took a few pictures and left. Now I'm a "loon" for doing so. Got it.

It must have been a slow news day for you to have been so upset to post that. Go find something legit to complain about.

• 2Salty
Reactions: 1 users

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
I was on vacation in San Diego with my wife. One day we had some extra time. I always wanted to see where the SOE -- now DGB -- studio was. I had spent many years volunteering as a Senior Guide for SOE I stopped by, took a few pictures and left. Now I'm a "loon" for doing so. Got it.

It must have been a slow news day for you to have been so upset to post that. Go find something legit to complain about.

But you were upset because you were expecting a tour and to buy souvenirs. Yes, that is crazy.

wolfshead

Molten Core Raider
If Prathun or Ngreth or Absor or any dev popped onto bristlebane and asked who wanted to do a GM event I imagine everyone would ask wtf they were doing and to get back to work.

First off, you would never know that it was them doing a GM event. Second, most players in my experience loved live GM invasions. Did you take a poll on your server and ask the community if they like GM events? No, you probably didn't. So you don't know what you are talking about. When we ran GM events, it was people like you that would ruin them.

Your smartass post is typical of what is wrong with the FoH achievers/raiding mentality that is, unfortunately, the underlying mindset of these forums. You don't care about lore, you don't care about role-playing, you don't care about any other player archetypes that inhabit a virtual world. People like you have taken fantasy worlds into a stifling rabbit hole of achievement via raiding. All the good people over the years that originally played EQ have been driven away by people like you. Now, most MMOs are left with a monochrome raiding culture. Sadly the starstruck EQ devs were only happy to comply and pandered to people like you.

Last edited:
  • 1Rustled
  • 1Picard
  • 1Seriously?
Reactions: 2 users

wolfshead

Molten Core Raider
But you were upset because you were expecting a tour and to buy souvenirs. Yes, that is crazy.

I didn't expect a tour. I just mentioned that guides used to be given a tour. I'm not going to waste my time replying to you anymore.

• 1Rustled
  • 1Salty
Reactions: 1 users

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Bro, if you have learned anything, it's that EQ is like family to the FoH community. We can and will talk shit on our family all day long. But when some 'johnny come lately' tries to come in and start shit, you are going to get told to fuck right off.

Your questions did come off as passive aggressive, snarky, and a bit entitled. I don't know if that was your intention and I am willing to give you the benefit of the doubt on all of it.

Welcome to the FOH boards none the less. Stay awhile and listen.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

wolfshead

Molten Core Raider
You're out of your damned mind. It has ZERO to do with whether they care about the game or not. Your time as a guide, while admirable, is not comparable to actually working on the game. It's also not the same for you to work in your job, and then go do events and things in EQ. A more accurate analogy would be you do your job, and then when you get home, you do your same job more, FOR FREE.

100% the devs on the team HATE having to deal with microtransaction shit. Your complaining about things in the current state of the game honestly show you have absolutely zero idea what game development is like. Sorry for the reality check..

I treated you with respect and civility when you replied to my initial post where I linked my article. You didn't have enough class to reciprocate and extend a fellow video game dev some professional courtesy and instead replied with hostility. Of course, I expect this kind of treatment from the FoH forums, but I didn't expect it from a former developer.

So please continue to do your ex-MMO dev song and dance routine to amaze the gullible natives here. The posters here need a hero they can believe in and you seem to be it. In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king. I guess it helps to pass the time when your flying paper airplanes for the military-industrial complex. I hope you enjoyed a little taste of your own medicine. Goodbye.

• 3WTF
  • 2Salty
Reactions: 4 users

DickTrickle

I treated you with respect and civility when you replied to my initial post where I linked my article. You didn't have enough class to reciprocate and extend a fellow video game dev some professional courtesy and instead replied with hostility. Of course, I expect this kind of treatment from the FoH forums, but I didn't expect it from a former developer.

So please continue to do your ex-MMO dev song and dance routine to amaze the gullible natives here. The posters here need a hero they can believe in and you seem to be it. In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king. I guess it helps to pass the time when your flying paper airplanes for the military-industrial complex. I hope you enjoyed a little taste of your own medicine. Goodbye.
He was barely snarky and you act like you were horribly disrespected. Thin skin...

Are you actually or have you ever been employed as a game dev?

I'm going to guess not. Being a guide doesn't count. And even if you are/were, why would he know who you are?

Last edited:

Elidroth

Trakanon Raider
I didn't expect a tour. I just mentioned that guides used to be given a tour. I'm not going to waste my time replying to you anymore.

"As an aside, while on vacation in California, this loyal EQ fan for 20 years visited their headquarters unannounced hoping to buy some souvenirs and was told by a stern security guard at the lobby that unless I had an appointment I was not welcome. Fair enough. So much for completing my life-long quest of finally seeing the headquarters where my beloved EverQuest was made. Back when I was a volunteer Senior guide, SOE would give tours of their facility to guides who were in San Diego. "

You literally said you were hoping to see where your beloved EQ was made..

Out of curiosity, when were you a dev, and who did you work for? Yeah.. I lost my temper a bit, but I put up with 12 years of players feeling entitled to tell me how to do my job.. The "I pay your salary, you need to do what I want" mentality.. And so I reacted. I'm not in the industry anymore, but suffice to say ALL developers get tired of people having this kind of attitude.

• 3Like

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
First off, you would never know that it was them doing a GM event. Second, most players in my experience loved live GM invasions. Did you take a poll on your server and ask the community if they like GM events? No, you probably didn't. So you don't know what you are talking about. When we ran GM events, it was people like you that would ruin them.

Your smartass post is typical of what is wrong with the FoH achievers/raiding mentality that is, unfortunately, the underlying mindset of these forums. You don't care about lore, you don't care about role-playing, you don't care about any other player archetypes that inhabit a virtual world. People like you have taken fantasy worlds into a stifling rabbit hole of achievement via raiding. All the good people over the years that originally played EQ have been driven away by people like you. Now, most MMOs are left with a monochrome raiding culture. Sadly the starstruck EQ devs were only happy to comply and pandered to people like you.
I'm not going to say that you're what's wrong with anything, but it's exhausting seeing the attitude so many EQ players have that because they care a lot about the game, they deserve some special bullshit from EQ devs in addition to the 60 hours a week those devs put into the game.

If your opinion is that the budget for EQ should be increased to the point where game designers can interact with the community in addition to making the game, then you and I agree. In fact my question in this thread was carefully crafted to push that. Whether that makes sense in the context of long-term profitability and sustainability of Daybreak Games is a question neither of us have the information to even begin to answer.

• 3Like

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Unlike you wolfshead wolfshead when I was on vacation in San Diego a mere week ago I did make an appointment. I did get a tour. I did get some souvenirs.

You meet one asshole in the morning, he’s an asshole. You meet nothing but assholes all day, well ... maybe you’re the asshole.

• 5Like
  • 2Worf
  • 1Mic Drop
Reactions: 7 users

Haynar

Golden Knight of the Realm
If I ever get out to San Diego, I want a tour at DBG too.

How do we sign up for that?

I want a hat. That would also be cool.

Haynar

• 2Worf
  • 1Mother of God

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
Actually no.. Not for good reason. Lucasarts/Lucasfilm demanded the NGE changes. SOE didn't have creative control over SWG at all. Smed had to suck it up, put on the smiling face, and try and sell it to the players. That whole debacle was way out of Smed's control, and he got roasted for it..

Yeah, this is actually what happened, can confirm - I heard horror stories from the SWG community manager about that whole fiasco. Something about LucasArts not liking the direction the game was going, and demanded changes to make it more accessible. Everyone higher-up including Smedley told them it was a bad idea. Though I don't like what they did to the CM after she took the blame for it all; that falls square on SOE's hands. At least she landed on her feet. I know plenty of community managers in today's age that wouldn't have survived after being laid off like that.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
I'm actually surprised at how courteous everyone is being to this wolfshead wolfshead psycho

a lot of the more aggressive posters don't come to the Gaming subforum, especially the EQ threads. which is ironic considering the origin of the forun, but hey.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Unlike you wolfshead wolfshead when I was on vacation in San Diego a mere week ago I did make an appointment. I did get a tour. I did get some souvenirs.

You meet one asshole in the morning, he’s an asshole. You meet nothing but assholes all day, well ... maybe you’re the asshole.
Wait, are you implying that we aren't all assholes?

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
  • 1Worf

DickTrickle

Yes, this board does make that old bit of wisdom fall flat.

Well, I guess it still is true. If you surround yourself by genuine assholes, then you too are probably a genuine asshole.

Synj

Dystopian Dreamer
<Gold Donor>
a lot of the more aggressive posters don't come to the Gaming subforum, especially the EQ threads. which is ironic considering the origin of the forun, but hey.

Motherfucker I'm right here.

Don't be such a pussy wolfshead wolfshead

Also: don't take it personal, just doing my job.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user