Everquest Confessions

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
What was your favorite part?
I've probably forgotten most of them but training the Fennin trigger along with everything else in the area onto a particular competitor by drawing aggro and running back under the walkway comes to mind as a particularly good one.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Guzrog

<Gold Donor>
I wasn't sure where to drop this but it seems like the best place. For years now I've wanted to just setup my own EQ sandbox and run around the zones. I don't care about mobs or anything. That would be cool but I'm looking for minimal effort here. I don't mind standing up things or using CMD so being technical isn't an issue.

Anyway I have to imagine these days there is a really quick way to accomplish this.

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
Beyond the obvious guilty confessions of training zone ins, being dumb and accidentally looting something you shouldn't have, I'd say.... scamming Sony out of their $15 a month by putting in 1234 1234 1234 1234 whenever I logged in as the CC info. Not sure why their front end engine didn't actually authenticate this shit but it'd let you log right in for a day or two with no issues. Cannot begin to imagine how many other people did the same thing and how much money they lost from it

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I wasn't sure where to drop this but it seems like the best place. For years now I've wanted to just setup my own EQ sandbox and run around the zones. I don't care about mobs or anything. That would be cool but I'm looking for minimal effort here. I don't mind standing up things or using CMD so being technical isn't an issue.

Anyway I have to imagine these days there is a really quick way to accomplish this.

Probably not exactly what you're looking for but EQ Scout is nice for a bit of a nostalgia kick.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Rogosh

Lord Nagafen Raider
I've probably forgotten most of them but training the Fennin trigger along with everything else in the area onto a particular competitor by drawing aggro and running back under the walkway comes to mind as a particularly good one.
We did this on Rodcet Nife too. Shit was fun, bards were so op in that zone.

• 1Like

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Holy shit! That is like one of my most fucked EQ memories, almost made me quit the game. I had been playing for a few weeks tops, and I was exploring places I shouldn't be, I was just so amazed by everything and wanted to see the world. I was running for my life to zone lines constantly. Anyway, there are some announcements that there's some big tournament, and I have no idea how to get to the place they are saying, but someone in the zone shouts out to go south. I follow a bunch of other players and zone in. I walk in and there are tons of people, super laggy, but I'm walking around trying to figure out what's going on exactly. I get a message from a GM telling me to sit down, this will be my only warning... so I sit down and try to message him back but it acts like that player doesn't exist. To this day I don't know if I was sitting on the stage or what, but all of the sudden I get a loading screen. I appear in Tox, though I had never been there and had no clue where I was. Got a text from a GM saying something like "You have been judged guilty of interfering with a GM event, this is your punishment" and nothing else. Messaged back and got the same "A player with that name doesn't exist" or something. So, I get killed pretty quick, reappear naked in Qeynos, I was so fucked up about it. Pretty sure I cried, I genuinely wasn't trying to cause problems and didn't do anything intentional and I was just basically in shock that I had 0 chance of getting my stuff back and weeks of playing every free minute were just yanked away. I can't even remember the process, but I know I basically put in a ticket explaining the situation and got no help.

After a couple of days of not having a chance of getting my stuff back, not getting help from GM's, and not having luck finding another player to help, I gave up. Eventually my anger/frustration was replaced with still REALLY wanting to play the game, and I decided I would just make a new character and try a different class/starting area. Really could have ended my EQ experience though! Insane to hear it from the GM view 20 years later... and maybe fuck you? haha
That story touched me a lot more than I expected it to. It might be that I empathize with how amazing EQ was.

I won one of the rogue BotB's, but I don't have access to a single screenshot from my years of playing. I still have my account, but I've long forgotten my password. I wonder if I could recover it after all this time.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Zaide

TLP Idealist
That story touched me a lot more than I expected it to. It might be that I empathize with how amazing EQ was.

I won one of the rogue BotB's, but I don't have access to a single screenshot from my years of playing. I still have my account, but I've long forgotten my password. I wonder if I could recover it after all this time.
You definitely can. I recovered my old account recently which I had as a 9 year old and used my mom’s CC from an address we hadn’t lived in for 20 years. It will be like a multi day process with their customer service, but it should be totally possible and they’re sort of understanding of the circumstances as long as you can remember the account name and at least some other info like the name of the person who paid for the account or the original billing address.

Rais

Trakanon Raider
I did the same about 5 years ago. Same process. They will give you a few options. This was of course like 20 years after I last logged in. Just gagged saying 20 years. What the fuck

• 1Worf

Deebo

Molten Core Raider
In planes of power, there was some exp bug, and I forget the zone name and what it was now. But there were some people exploiting it for a short time. Well, they got wind of it, and I was identified as doing it. So, I got a message from a GM, and I got the message "You have been summoned by the gods!" I was in this small box, and I couldn't get out, I then was killed like 10 times in a row. It said "You have been struck down by the gods" over and over so I lost exp. I ended up still like 3 bubbles ahead of what I was, before the exploit.

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
This thread inspired me to take a trip down memory lane and I found some old posts at the Safehouse while I was working as the rogue class correspondent after we came up with the idea at the SOE Summit.

The digital stroll brought back a lot of great memories and I was incredibly surprised at how much I remembered about people by simply seeing their name. For most, when I read their names, I was instantly able to recall their class/race and what guild they were in. However, I did have some holes in my memory that surprised me. For one, I had almost completely forgotten that Rezz and I used to run in the same circles. It was near the end of my time, but still.

I was also reminded of a couple of the massive douchebags that were absolutely eaten-up with jealousy. For example - I was guilded with this faggot rogue named Fitz Awlsyzes and it absolutely ate him up that I had a title when he didn't, was one of the few invited to the Summit, and ended up as the rogue correspondent. He was so insecure that he'd talk shit and outright lie about me at every opportunity. Including telling people that I quit playing EQ because of a failed guild coupe when the simple truth is that I started playing WoW like so many others.

In front of a large crowd, I ended up confronting that beta cuck to his face at the '03 FanFaire (Vegas) and he backpeddled so fast he almost did a backflip. The amount of public shame he endured that day was immense. He even tried to befriend me while we were at the event, but as soon as everyone went home, he went right back to talking shit because he felt safe.

Fuck you, Fitz. I still regret not stomping the shit out of your faggot ass.

Last edited:
  • 5Worf
Reactions: 4 users

Jais

Trakanon Raider
This thread inspired me to take a trip down memory lane and I found some old posts at the Safehouse while I was working as the rogue class correspondent after we came up with the idea at the SOE Summit.

The digital stroll brought back a lot of great memories and I was incredibly surprised at how much I remembered about people by simply seeing their name. For most, when I read their names, I was instantly able to recall their class/race and what guild they were in. However, I did have some holes in my memory that surprised me. For one, I had almost completely forgotten that Rezz and I used to run in the same circles. It was near the end of my time, but still.

I was also reminded of a couple of the massive douchebags that were absolutely eaten-up with jealousy. For example - I was guilded with this faggot rogue named Fitz Awlsyzes and it absolutely ate him up that I had a title when he didn't, was one of the few invited to the Summit, and ended up as the rogue correspondent. He was so insecure that he'd talk shit and outright lie about me at every opportunity. Including telling people that I quit playing EQ because of a failed guild coupe when the simple truth is that I started playing WoW like so many others.

In front of a large crowd, I ended up confronting that beta cuck to his face at the '03 FanFaire (Vegas) and he backpeddled so fast he almost did a backflip. The amount of public shame he endured that day was immense. He even tried to befriend me while we were at the event, but as soon as everyone went home, he went right back to talking shit because he felt safe.

Fuck you, Fitz. I still regret not stomping the shit out of your faggot ass.
Fucking Safehouse was the shit. Rodcet Nife had a very good community of rogues.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Kithani

Blackwing Lair Raider
Fucking Safehouse was the shit. Rodcet Nife had a very good community of rogues.
I realize there is more to it but I got a laugh thinking about a bunch of dudes creating a “community” out of sitting around going “ok so make sure to turn on auto attack and keep hitting that backstab button. Don’t forget to stand BEHIND the mob!”

• 9Worf
  • 1Double Worf
Reactions: 9 users

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
I miss the era when EQ had multiple class specific forums that were active and full of good OT discussion.

Then shortly after EQ died Graffes and The Safehouse turned into these absolutely bizarre Far Left extremist communites. It seemed like it happened overnight but I guess it probably took years. I wonder if those shitholes are still around

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
The guy that ran the rangers glade gave a sob storry about how expensive the site was to run and needed donations and such. Short time later he posted for a reason I have no idea why, that he bought his girlfriend an engagement ring with the money that was donated. Site was sold shortly after and like a lot of EQ stuff it just went away.

• 1Worf

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
The guy that ran the rangers glade gave a sob storry about how expensive the site was to run and needed donations and such. Short time later he posted for a reason I have no idea why, that he bought his girlfriend an engagement ring with the money that was donated. Site was sold shortly after and like a lot of EQ stuff it just went away.

Such a boss move

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I miss the era when EQ had multiple class specific forums that were active and full of good OT discussion.

Then shortly after EQ died Graffes and The Safehouse turned into these absolutely bizarre Far Left extremist communites. It seemed like it happened overnight but I guess it probably took years. I wonder if those shitholes are still around
Safe house is still around but no one really uses the forums. Their discord is a cesspool like the FoH forums.

• 1Weird Boner
  • 1Salty
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Synj

Dystopian Dreamer
<Gold Donor>
I’m so grateful that I got to live through the early days of MMOs and the culture surrounding it, toxicity and all. I chased the magic of UO/EQ for a long time and I eventually realized that even if EQ3 somehow emerged as a successful endeavor, I can never relive the magic of being 21-24 and living in the golden age of the original EQ trilogy and all the trimmings around it. I spent so many hours either playing EQ or reading about EQ and the drama around it.

I loved Safehouse and Shaman’s Crucible and EQLizer

It reminds me about how grateful I am to have been a child and seeing the original Star Wars trilogy in theaters and living through the cultural phenomena that that was.

I’m not sure that lightning in a bottle can ever be recaptured for me and it’s a little disheartening at times because I’m almost positive it never will be again.

I loved the forums. Hard to believe I’ve been around FoH forums for almost 20 years or whatever it has been. 05er’s was 18 years ago. Jesus Fuck.

I’ll cross-post this in the Existential Crisis/You Know You

• 7Like
  • 7Solidarity
Reactions: 13 users

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole

No mozz sticks or a dirt bike? What a faggot

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
Rangers had years of pretending to be good dps in Classic thru Velious so he had to pretend he could compete with a Rogue somehow.

• 1Like