Everquest Confessions

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I tried to play P99 when green broke out, but some of the magic about EQ classic was that I was 17 almost 18 when it came out. I wasn't out of high school, no job, and no real responsibilities. I drove home from school, logged in, and would typically play until about 2-3 in the morning. Get up at 7 and do it all over again.

Now, I own a company with 70ish employees, married, and 5 kids. I think I made it to level 7 on my ogre warrior on green before I realized that there is not a snowballs chance in hell that I will ever have the time to invest in it like I did back then. Sad, but that is life.

Hopefully, p99 will still be around and have green server v.20 when I retire. Maybe then I'll have the time it requires.

It was fantastic, and I absolutely loved that I got a chance to experience it in March of 99; although, sadly, I have also come to the realization that the captivating appeal that EQ had back then will probably never happen again.

Pogi Ironhorse <Legion> and <Cestus Dei> Veeshan server

Have you learned nothing in life? If your kids want dinner, they'll rotate leveling your ogre.

• 7Worf
  • 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 10 users

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Have you learned nothing in life? If your kids want dinner, they'll rotate leveling your ogre.
My father used to make me level his characters in EQ back from '99-'05 with bribes, when he was busy at work. It was great.

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
My father used to make me level his characters in EQ back from '99-'05 with bribes, when he was busy at work. It was great.

A game being equivalent to doing chores is when you know you've struck gold

• 3Worf
  • 1Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 4 users

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
People box because they want to log in and be able to progress. Especially after PoP, population just drops off too much for people to just log in, go LFG and find a group quickly. The game also shifts somewhat in that there is a shitton of stuff to do that doesn't involve meaningful XP. Like if you want to get a quest drop or some aug at a camp that's just light blue mobs, it's shitty XP you'd never want to join but it's pretty much required content for some classes so they either box it or they don't get it done.

It's possible to play as a solo player but you're probably going to end up just raid logging. If you want to get stuff done outside of raids, and you pretty much have to to progress your character eventually, you either have a pre-arranged regular group or you box. I don't think 3-6 boxing is needed, two boxing opens up enough possibility that you can get stuff done.

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
People box because they want to log in and be able to progress. Especially after PoP, population just drops off too much for people to just log in, go LFG and find a group quickly. The game also shifts somewhat in that there is a shitton of stuff to do that doesn't involve meaningful XP. Like if you want to get a quest drop or some aug at a camp that's just light blue mobs, it's shitty XP you'd never want to join but it's pretty much required content for some classes so they either box it or they don't get it done.

It's possible to play as a solo player but you're probably going to end up just raid logging. If you want to get stuff done outside of raids, and you pretty much have to to progress your character eventually, you either have a pre-arranged regular group or you box. I don't think 3-6 boxing is needed, two boxing opens up enough possibility that you can get stuff done.

Mainly I've been wondering as we progress through SoF if SoD is going to be even worse with people just using mercs to do everything a person could do.

I feel like I've gotten my answer though, the game isn't what it was, the remaining people play the game for the nostalgia hit.

At this point I'm trying to decide if I want another guild or another game. We spent an hour and a half wiping to Breakneck and Bargangle in Meldraths because of boxes and I just wonder if another guild will even fix that if everyone is running boxes. Honest to god it feels like I'm running a shitty run in raid-finder in WoW, but if every guild is this then that answers all my questions..

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Mainly I've been wondering as we progress through SoF if SoD is going to be even worse with people just using mercs to do everything a person could do.

I feel like I've gotten my answer though, the game isn't what it was, the remaining people play the game for the nostalgia hit.

At this point I'm trying to decide if I want another guild or another game. We spent an hour and a half wiping to Breakneck and Bargangle in Meldraths because of boxes and I just wonder if another guild will even fix that if everyone is running boxes. Honest to god it feels like I'm running a shitty run in raid-finder in WoW, but if every guild is this then that answers all my questions..
You do know what player attrition is right? Youre playing an old TLP server, what do you expect. Finding people to group with is few and far between. This is why most servers die at PoP.

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
You do know what player attrition is right? Youre playing an old TLP server, what do you expect. Finding people to group with is few and far between. This is why most servers die at PoP.

NAAH FAM I'M DON'T KNOW WHAT IS PLAYER ATTRITION.

My man that was the premise for all my questions for people familiar with TLP poopsocking and you all seems to have the same take, after PoP servers die if there isn't people doing 20 boxing, Understandable.

Most my other shit has been observations and bitching about the state of my guild specifically.

I have all the answers I was lookin for I just don't wanna accept that the game isn't the memory I had of it being that boxing is required to maintain raids / groups, and people suck at playing.

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

I was on Aradune as well, quit recently. Just didn't like SoF at all, keying is bullshit where you need 30 people and can only flag 12, bunch of factions you need to max, wasn't enjoying the raids either with insta-wipe mechanics and general busywork stuff. Doesn't help that all of the advanced raid mechanics feel horribly clunky in the EQ interface.

Posted this in the other thread as well so forgive me if I repeat myself, but I'm entirely happy to just be shooting the shit with guildies doing content that is moderately challenging at best. I just do not like having to bang my head against hard content anymore, or getting benched because of flagging BS. Guess I'm old and boring now but for the amount of time you have to sink into this game to keep up I better be having fun most of the time. I wasn't anymore so it was time to unsub.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
I was on Aradune as well, quit recently. Just didn't like SoF at all, keying is bullshit where you need 30 people and can only flag 12, bunch of factions you need to max, wasn't enjoying the raids either with insta-wipe mechanics and general busywork stuff. Doesn't help that all of the advanced raid mechanics feel horribly clunky in the EQ interface.

Posted this in the other thread as well so forgive me if I repeat myself, but I'm entirely happy to just be shooting the shit with guildies doing content that is moderately challenging at best. I just do not like having to bang my head against hard content anymore, or getting benched because of flagging BS. Guess I'm old and boring now but for the amount of time you have to sink into this game to keep up I better be having fun most of the time. I wasn't anymore so it was time to unsub.

I feel like I'm almost to the same page, SoF was a flagging nightmare to be sure. I don't understand the need for flagging at all for TLP's. Sure it's a "RACE" to things but with all the cheese that's out there for encounters and keying I don't really understand why they don't just do away with keying drops and just tie them entirely to achievements if they STILL want keys to be a thing.

If yall weren't aware, you can enter crystallos with a full raid IF...you cycle out every unflagged person in the raid every 2 minutes. Somethign easily accomplished with 3rd party tools that, apparently every other guild uses aside from us. THEN you can cheese nearly every boss (not like you really NEED to cheese more than 2), skipping either all the trash or skipping mechanics entirely through banner usage and Z-axis exploiting.

Someone likely knows more than I do about the cheese because I stopped in OG at GoD.

MIND YOU, with ALL this shit, my guild still manages to wipe. It is mind-blowing. People shouting in discord for various people boxing to run their box for things like Breakneck charge and we all still die. Gunna out my guild with this but honestly I'm past the point of caring.

--

EDIT:

I wanna add clarity to the charts below, if you see a DPS or healer that has low "time" in seconds, it's not that they joined late or anything. It's literally that they aren't doing anything but were there in the raid the entire time..

-- damage

1674833283646.png

-- Healing

1674833360170.png

Last edited:

Zaide

TLP Idealist

It’s time to come to Mischief and enjoy double the server population. We unlock TSS this week so barely any lost progress.

• 1Truth!
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Evernothing

Bronze Baronet of the Realm

What guild were you in?

• 1Solidarity

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
What guild were you in?

I will sincerely laugh if it was the one I am in..

Don't recognize most of those names other than having seen some of them run around PoK so no. I'm in RWT. They don't generally run boxes on progression raids, mains only until everyone's familiar/geared enough to split it with boxes. Of course, you need a big roster to do that, every single Euro guild on the server has merged into it now and there is also a good number of daytime US players so there's enough people to have to bench a bunch if not splitting. Guild wasn't the problem for me, as above I just was not getting enough enjoyment out of the game to warrant the time investment any longer.

Zaide

TLP Idealist
He's in The Ta'Veren based on Ivorysoul appearing in the parse.

• 1Truth!

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
Don't recognize most of those names other than having seen some of them run around PoK so no. I'm in RWT. They don't generally run boxes on progression raids, mains only until everyone's familiar/geared enough to split it with boxes. Of course, you need a big roster to do that, every single Euro guild on the server has merged into it now and there is also a good number of daytime US players so there's enough people to have to bench a bunch if not splitting. Guild wasn't the problem for me, as above I just was not getting enough enjoyment out of the game to warrant the time investment any longer.

I never have bad run-ins with either.

We had a member that was either a part of RWT or casually raided with you all. I don't think it was his character but rather a character he bought or was given. I always laugh whenever he comes back from Mischief because he always asks if it's safe to 6 box again. Which is comical because the last time he was banned on aradune it was for logging in 6 level 80 characters to go camp some level 50ish mob in LoY for a quest. Some dude saw him sitting all his boxes on eachother, said something to him and our guy did an action on every character, VERY inconspicuous...

He's in The Ta'Veren based on Ivorysoul appearing in the parse.

Ya Ivory is a good guy, most of us have been together since Mediumcore and some of us have been playing since Pillage and Plunder.

--

Edit

Even though I'm debating moving on, I'm not phoning in my effort on raids.

We have so much bloat though. Every raid night is met with box crew after box crew dying or wiping us. I mathed it out and for every 4 boxes added, we essentially need 2 healers for the amount of additional damage they take. We were skeptical if we would even finish TBS before SoF, but we had enough people come out of retirement that it happened. We had 3 main tanks give ultimatums that if we didn't field a raid force by a certain date they were moving on. That would have ended the guild right then, if it happened. Now we have good boxers burnign the candle at both ends to make sure raids get finished and it's only gunna mean the collapse of the guild eventually.

Last edited:
  • 1Worf

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Sounds similar to what I heard from Rosengard people when they merged with us. They had good players and leadership but eventually just lost too many to attrition and raids started to suffer. Think they did the smart thing in seeking out a merger before the guild imploded completely and bad blood had a chance to set in.

Just a fact of life on a TLP with a dwindling population. Aradune now has a single Euro guild, so as a Euro you're either in it or you aren't raiding anything ever. You have a few more options in US time zones because there's just way more players there but the effect is the same.

• 1Like

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
So I guess i should say thank you to whoever lurks here from The Ta'Veren or whoever linked this to their leadership. I sincerely appreciate it, it's like an episode of intervention. Nothing would ever be done to the things that I felt were issues within that guild. All of these issues were brought up before by other people but were dismissed.

My prior post salted a few people who play under-performing boxes it seems. To be fair to them, that was the intent. If you are getting carried as a box in raid and no one is calling you out for it, you are a problem. Maybe people aren't talking to you about it because you are an officer or leader or they just don't want drama, either way your raid is doing worse because of your inability to rationally look at the impact your boxes are having on raids.

• 1Like

Greyman

Trakanon Raider
So I guess i should say thank you to whoever lurks here from The Ta'Veren or whoever linked this to their leadership. I sincerely appreciate it, it's like an episode of intervention. Nothing would ever be done to the things that I felt were issues within that guild. All of these issues were brought up before by other people but were dismissed.

My prior post salted a few people who play under-performing boxes it seems. To be fair to them, that was the intent. If you are getting carried as a box in raid and no one is calling you out for it, you are a problem. Maybe people aren't talking to you about it because you are an officer or leader or they just don't want drama, either way your raid is doing worse because of your inability to rationally look at the impact your boxes are having on raids.

Cool story bro, but we're gonna need some discord screenshots of this salt, thanks.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users