Everquest Confessions

Kithani

Blackwing Lair Raider
So, the bug that existed related to how Beastlords were first released. Initially you summoned a pet and then used a skill button to level the pet to the appropriate level. This worked fine. What was not considered was that there were items that held charges of charm. One was a charm animal that was easy to get. The other was not so easy as the puppet strings dropped in the planes. All you did was charm an 11th leveled Puma in Oasis, and then press that skill button. You now have a 46th leveled Puma that you could attach the breathe ability to along with other buffs. I then just zoned. I waited a minute and then zoned back into Oasis. I watched the OOC chat as players started complaining about this super powered Puma that was slaughtering everyone. A 47th Ranger came to help and proceeded to die. At this point everyone thought this was a GM Event and suddenly many players were coming and dying until the upper 40's 50's arrived and killed it. I laughed so hard at the part where everyone asked what it dropped.

"What the Fuck?, All it dropped was a ruined pelt and a piece of meat".

Needless to say I repeated this a few times for the sheer enjoyment of the chaos. I then reported it to a GM as it was obvious this was not meant to be how it worked. I got to show a couple of GM's the bug. They had a good laugh and Beastlords were changed a week later.

My one and only contribution to an actual system change.
IIRC the way it actually worked was you got a skill that summoned a level 1 pet and then got a series of “buff” spells that would level it and give it appropriate stats. My guess is this was a workaround to let them get a pet ar level 1 despite being a hybrid class and not getting other spells until level 9, or someone wanted to experiment and make them different.

I think it got changed because (among other things like your Puma issue) it effectively gave Beasts a pet CH because you could just recast the buff and it would grant a full HP bar for whatever level your pet was.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Greyman

Trakanon Raider
Could that be done to the gryphons and werewolves in EC/WC?

Absolutely, but everyone is onto that trick now, can expect to be petitioned and possibly suspended.

Back in the day there was a Cleric GM in EC, Rinna Lightshadow, you could tag her in her hut, train her to North Ro and zone out, then zone back in and watch her murder any evil race/deity she encountered on her way home.

Even level 60 Ogre/Troll/Iksar tanks got their asses handed to them as she hit for 300+ which was too much for pretty much anyone back then.

• 1Like

Masakari

<Gold Donor>
Absolutely, but everyone is onto that trick now, can expect to be petitioned and possibly suspended.

Back in the day there was a Cleric GM in EC, Rinna Lightshadow, you could tag her in her hut, train her to North Ro and zone out, then zone back in and watch her murder any evil race/deity she encountered on her way home.

Even level 60 Ogre/Troll/Iksar tanks got their asses handed to them as she hit for 300+ which was too much for pretty much anyone back then.

I remember her! Literally would make a beeline for you if you were an evil race lol.

A suped up Sergeant Slate.

Masakari

<Gold Donor>
I almost forgot Crushbone. Used to love taking my bard there and running some train laps from the Emperor room.

Especially if you could invis to keep a low profile.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I almost forgot Crushbone. Used to love taking my bard there and running some train laps from the Emperor room.

Especially if you could invis to keep a low profile.
You used to be able to get up into D'vinn's far left window and it would aggro everything in the castle, the courtyard, the closest pens, and trainer hill. You know, exactly the kind of power you dont want (at the time) a 9 year old boy to have.

• 1Worf
  • 1Double Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Masakari

<Gold Donor>
You used to be able to get up into D'vinn's far left window and it would aggro everything in the castle, the courtyard, the closest pens, and trainer hill. You know, exactly the kind of power you dont want (at the time) a 9 year old boy to have.

We were spoiled. Furor's war on bugs and glitches was misguided.

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

SorrowsEnd

Trakanon Raider
I used to do the beastlord pet trick in the oasis with Pouch of Mistletoe Powder.

Buff the pet to max level. Give it a Steel Hilted Flint Dagger and Silken Whip of Ensnaring and tell him to go make me proud.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Playing through the TLPs recently and I gotta ask.

Are my expectations too high for EQ? Am I out of touch with what EQ has become?

I wanted a game where I could re-experience old content and then progress into content I never experienced while playing with people I met along the way.

I'm not looking to spend 100+ a month just to 3-6 box "Solo" for XP during my down time and then raid during the evenings. It SEEMS like most people complain about botters and then they do everything they can to 6 box with shit like auto-hotkey and whatever keyclone software they can find. Then they complain about not being able to find good guild applicants when they only ever group with themselves.

It FEELS like most people treat EQ as a solo-ish game and the TLP's as a seasonal "play through pop" treadmill.

Is this a good assessment?
The Al'kabor Project is going strong with the classic client. Everything completed finally. Enough people playing that raid targets are rotated between guilds. Not a whole ton of lowbies levelling but they are out there. Not sure how much of the game through PoP you've played, but TAKP is where to go to finally experience classic EQ if the ideals of the PoP era are what had you hooked.

It is a three box max server, no automation allowed tho. There are one and two boxers around. Most guilds would be happy to have more one boxers on raids.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Kithani

Blackwing Lair Raider
The Al'kabor Project is going strong with the classic client. Everything completed finally. Enough people playing that raid targets are rotated between guilds. Not a whole ton of lowbies levelling but they are out there. Not sure how much of the game through PoP you've played, but TAKP is where to go to finally experience classic EQ if the ideals of the PoP era are what had you hooked.

It is a three box max server, no automation allowed tho. There are one and two boxers around. Most guilds would be happy to have more one boxers on raids.
Plus people on that server are 95% super friendly and not toxic, although there will always be some oddballs when you’re talking about a group of old school Mac users.

• 1Like

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Plus people on that server are 95% super friendly and not toxic, although there will always be some oddballs when you’re talking about a group of old school Mac users.
"Overly friendly to newcomers" is perhaps the most toxic attribute that could be given to the server in general lol. Which makes for a good server!

Pogi.G

Silver Baronet of the Realm

I know most here would probably disagree, but I loved POP and thought it was their best expansion. Velious was a very close second, but POP took the cake.

• 8Like
Reactions: 7 users

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
I know most here would probably disagree, but I loved POP and thought it was their best expansion. Velious was a very close second, but POP took the cake.
PoP is really the pinnacle of the ideal they started towards when they first made the game, I agree. The only compromise imo was Plane of Knowl she having portal stones. Taking out the druid / wizard travel economy made the world a lot smaller. But otherwise, as far as the idea of questing forever, PoP era has just the right amount of content and alternate progression. And the encounters were just the right amount of challenge without being beat-your-head-against-the-wall-til-the-next-expansion's-level-cap-increase hard.

And then LDoN also was a little too much "forever" for the amount of reward you got from your questing y'know?

• 1Like

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
If they had made the expansions in this order, level & feature-appropriate, EQ1 would be perfect:
  1. Vanilla
  2. Kunark
  3. Velious
  4. Serpent's Spine
  5. Secrets of Faydwer
  6. Planes of Power
  7. DONE- Go make EQ3

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
If they had made the expansions in this order, level & feature-appropriate, EQ1 would be perfect:
  1. Vanilla
  2. Kunark
  3. Velious
  4. Serpent's Spine
  5. Secrets of Faydwer
  6. Planes of Power
  7. DONE- Go make EQ3

We both know your favorite race is a Drakkin.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
I really liked the shadows of luclin expansion. Lots of cool stuff to that one, and I was always one who enjoyed coming up with tricks to clear content as fast as possible or with far less people than most people thought was necessary. Figuring out how clear vex thal super fast combined a lot of whacky techniques to skip most of the trash. Mobs having too much HP was its biggest flaw.

• 1Like

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
I really liked the shadows of luclin expansion. Lots of cool stuff to that one, and I was always one who enjoyed coming up with tricks to clear content as fast as possible or with far less people than most people thought was necessary. Figuring out how clear vex thal super fast combined a lot of whacky techniques to skip most of the trash. Mobs having too much HP was its biggest flaw.
Yeah I think SoL gets shit on because it was so broken at launch. It's a decent expansion tho when it's working appropriately.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Combine the new art style, the new lore (cats in space!) and the character models - it was all just too much, too quick, for a lot of people. Its a fine expansion for what it is though.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Combine the new art style, the new lore (cats in space!) and the character models - it was all just too much, too quick, for a lot of people. Its a fine expansion for what it is though.

Immediately turned off all the new models. They just didn't work for me.

• 4Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 4 users