Everquest Confessions

Mrniceguy

Trakanon Raider
The weekend arrives and I drive to her house (a gigantic packet of condoms in my pocket). I knock on her door and when the door opens I am greeted by ….a toddler. I hear a grizzled voice yell “come on in!” and I enter a veritable fever dream. Cigarette smoke hits my nostrils, a kids show is blaring on the TV with two small children watching, and a 30 something year old man on the couch eyeing me up. “Take a seat, I’ll be right down!”. At this point I’m confused but think “ok, she has a roommate right? this can’t be her family, right? she’s been flirting with me, she invited me to her house to fuck…”.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Alright, where should I begin..

I'm in 8th grade and I start telling a friend about how you can play a necromancer in Diablo 2 (and how cool is it of course). He tells me that you can play a necromancer in a game called EQ, and that him and his brother play it. After starting on fennin ro with them and screwing around on endless alts, he tells me his brother quit his 29 druid and their subscription will end in 2 weeks but hey here his is login/pw. Well what does my ball busting ass do? I go to EC on his brothers 29 halfling druid and sell ports. Instead of porting people to where they wanted to go (this was velious era at the time), I ported them to toxx and /q. Now, I had a shitty PC, so I would zone over to "???" or "hey wrong.." and bounce the F out of there and do the same thing a couple days later. Two weeks later and my terror came to an end. Now that I think of it, I never even collected the plat off that druid, I just let it sunset off in to a dusty forgotten account.

After that I left for Vallon Zek PVP-teams and had a few months of fun in GFAY battling iksar twinks with fungis on orc hill with hoards of elfs throwing themselves at a guy who was regening faster than we could dps.

Back to fennin ro after that - I make a rogue and spent my EQ glory days in a family guild and eventually moving up to a raiding guild. I do remember AIM being prevalent and everyone using it. Some girl in the family guild would send nudes to me and one of our tanks on AIM on a weekly basis, it was certainly cool at the time. Him and I would talk about it on the side, lol.

I then get serious about raiding and had an amazing experience of being part of a guild full of random server misfits that became #2 or #3 on the server. I find out later our main puller and an officer were using show eq to give us an edge on mob targets. Also found out on AIM chats afterwards that a necro in our guild would FD train and wipe the competitive guild on their PoWater Corinav attempts, allowing us to progress and them to stagnate. I guess I'm not surprised of the MQ/SEQ confessions in this thread, but in retrospect I'm glad I didn't know about it happening in my guild at the time. Possibly more to come, this thread really jostled my memory.
ShowEQ was everywhere. i am not calling anyone out, but every bigdog raiding guild you have ever heard of has used it. maybe not everyone used it to abuse, but all have used it in some aspect or another. which i dont have a problem with. packet sniffers or whatever they were to me was the same as people using EQwindows as just another tool to make everquest more user friendy. the devs were NOT on the players side. anyone that got dicked over in PoP during the Rathe Council days can attest to that.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Cybsled

Probably some final act of vindictiveness towards the people that oversaw the guide program, as they were pretty harsh towards guides at times. One minor screw-up and you might well be booted out. Threads on the guide forum that questioned or complained about this didn't stay up, any "I'm being kicked out" threads vanished quickly too. It was very much ruled with an iron fist.

I had some guide friends in EQ1 and they used to tell me that the rules on what they could or could not do changed a lot by start of Kunark/very late Vanilla EQ1. On our server, there used to be a lot of GM/Guide events beyond the normal ones they would make on their own and get people to roleplay/do stuff and they would give out some prizes maybe. Like the whole Lanys vs. Firiona Vie event? It was like a week long thing on our server and the good/evil sides would do all these espionage things and strike missions and shit. We would join temp GM/Guide guilds and they would do guild war mode and there would be a ton of people all killing eachother in RP wars/etc. They recruited people and gave them military ranks (I got Sgt) then at the end good guys won and we had this giant victory event in Highhold where the GM was giving out special loot to people who did stuff during the week long event. Was probably the most epic thing I have ever experienced in a MMO.

That went so well that guides/GMs started to do mini events. Like during one, I got turned into a gnome temporarily and was probably the first gnome monk in EQ1 lol (my reward for role playing a human racist against gnomes).

Then at the end of Vanilla/start of Kunark, guide friend told me that the guide program really clamped down on events. Like if they wanted to do a talking only event /w no rewards, that was fine. But they couldnt even summon level 1 mobs, because technically even the copper shit you'd loot off the corpse was considered a reward. So the guide events kind of died off outside the SoE sanctioned major ones that happened on all servers (usually artifact loot) and pretty much all were the same, until even those stopped. He mentioned a lot of guides left the program. Although that same guide friend used to troll me sometimes - one time he teleported me into the top island of Plane of Sky and I had to jump off before the mobs killed me and another time he teleported me to the arena and killed me because he wanted to see how much damage the new guide swords did to players lol

• 1Like

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I remember when everyone would shout out GM event in soandso zone and most people avoided it like the plague because of roleplaying and lag.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
I remember when everyone would shout out GM event in soandso zone and most people avoided it like the plague because of roleplaying and lag.
GM events would bring my computer to a crawl, but so did raiding. i still did all those things and looked at my shoes for most of the time. i finally got a new machine for Luclin graphics and a broadband connection. it was like a whole new game. i went from being one of the first at raids to linkdead to being one of the few still online in the zone when a big lagwave would hit. it wasnt until PoP when everyone got better machines and we could still raid through lagbombs.

Cybsled

Early EQ was funny like that. Most people were still dialup, had low ram, etc.

In Velious I upgraded from 4 ram to 8 ram and my loading times for zones went from like 5 minutes to 30 seconds

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Lol, yeah. Zoning used to be perilous. Best case, you would pop out on the other side in about 5 minutes. Often, your computer would just spin and spin. You might go LD and have to go fight with the loggin server for 15 minutes. It was a different game back then.

• 1Like

Djay

Trakanon Raider
Lol, yeah. Zoning used to be perilous. Best case, you would pop out on the other side in about 5 minutes. Often, your computer would just spin and spin. You might go LD and have to go fight with the loggin server for 15 minutes. It was a different game back then.
In my case, I'd spend 5 minutes zoning from Qeynos Hills to West Karana only to be bounced back to Qeynos Hills for another 5 minutes....then trying again.

• 1Worf

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
that might have been a glitch instead of our shitty modems. i had problems like that randomly, but on specific zones. i remember Kithicor not letting people in, but you could zone out no sweat. this was before they changed the zone.

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
Sometimes you'd get one full screen frame of ogre ass before Loading please wait...

• 2Worf
  • 1Like

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I begged my way into a Runic Carver when I was level 12 or 14 and I was pumped because I could finally see at night. I ended up dying to a snake or something and was pissed off when my little sister came in to tell me dinner was ready. I snapped at her and, as a result, got grounded from the computer for a day. I threw a fit because I just died and didn't want to lose my corpse, so I got grounded from the computer for a week instead. I was salty af and thought my Runic Carver was going to rot. Well I did a fucking rockstar, Julio y Julio job mowing the lawn that weekend so my dad let me get back on the computer. I think I found my corpse when it had under 1 or 2 days left before it rotted.

• 4Like
  • 3Worf
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 8 users

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
1) When the game first started I was an enchanter, as such you could cat illusion. This was a very buggy spell as it would allow you to turn into ANYTHING you were close to... this included cities. I often would stand outside Felwithe and turn into the city itself and spin around drawing crowds of onlookers. Good times!

2) years later, I applied for and got the position of a Guide for Sony (was offered a GM job and a move to California too, but i turned it down). Either way, as a long standing player, I knew of many places where you could safely kill enemies that could not hit you back for free easy exp. One such place was Unrest, you could get on the roof and cast spells on mobs and cause trains and kill things from up there with no danger to the player. Well, as a guide, I would turn invisible, hide from the players and go to these spots. If I saw a small group up there doing this, I would summon the mobs they aggroed up next to them to see them panic and die (it was so much fun). Then i'd get a ticket in the queue from them about their corpses being bugged and I would basically tell them that the roofs are not always so safe and trying to exploit mobs from up there is a bannable offense. It was so much fun being a Guide lol

Hah you could very well have been the guide that summoned the Priest of Discord on top of me when I was abusing pathing to kill it (when it was killable :p ) And yes it did make me panic!

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Way too many memories.

My father started playing the game in '99, and I think I started a few weeks later. I remember watching him play at one point after him and his guild had gotten a group together and had killed Hill Giants for a while. Long story short he is at the bank in Rivervale, and he goes to deposit some money to the banker and I remember him just giving the banker something like 1,000 platinum (which was a lot in the mid-30s at that point). The fucking NPC says something along the lines of, "Uh, thanks... I guess". I remember my Dad wondering where his plat was, and why it wasn't in the bank. I told him what he did, nervously. He got so pissed off. Asked a GM for help. The GM was zero help.

He unsubscribed the next day. My brother and I laugh all the fucking time about that moment, and we always respond to my dad with, "Uh, thanks... I guess".

• 16Worf
  • 4Like
Reactions: 19 users

Gask

Bronze Baron of the Realm
The one time I was able to get in on a GM event was in LOIO, they had everyone running around the Sarnak fort chasing down an earth elemental. I managed to stay on him with my warrior and actually loot the damn thing after some others had a go. It had one of those glorified FS staves that vendor for 100p and a turn in item. I'd never seen that item type before as I'd only played in Kunark up to that point so I thought it was an event item too, so I left the other one on the body because I didn't want to be greedy.

So I run up to the GM all excited to get a reward and give him the staff, he pauses then tells me to buzz off; "this isn't what I'm looking for."

Felt bad lol.

• 2Like
  • 2Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Kithani

Blackwing Lair Raider
At age 11 I got a “warning” or so for chasing some wood elf around and asking if I could “stick my pee pee in ur butt.”

I later got a free Enameled Black Mace by telling a GM I had one and it somehow disappeared. Inspired by this I then tried the same trick with an Advisor robe and the GM was not buying it. He said I had used up all my warnings and was facing a permanent ban (!!!)

Being the clever 11 year old that I was, I quickly said “oh shit I just farted and dropped a lung” and /q’d out thinking I’ll just never log back on that character. I logged on a different character and was promptly summoned to the cat room in Qeynos Catacombs and banned.

Somehow 20 years later I’ve managed to become a productive member of society, thanks GM Teliesen of Druzzil Ro!

Edit: I also very frequently claimed my corpse had disappeared/gone invisible If I was too lazy to run find it in the wild and got Guides to summon it for me. This probably happened 10+ times

Last edited:
  • 3Worf

Zaide

TLP Idealist
If I saw someone running around in the weird parts of freeport or neriak and go into a random house, I'd wait 2 minutes and then go into it. I got a few bags of ok stuff doing that
I lost my first set of twink gear this way when I was like 8 years old. I swam into the lake in north Qeynos and dropped it at the bottom. Though for all I know it could have just poofed because I had those sick 20 minute zone times on my AOL internet.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Worf

Cybsled

That does remind me, how when you gave consent to have someone drag your corpse, how they also could loot your corpse of anything that wasnt no drop.

I was a trust worthy person on the server, so people usually asked me to hold stuff for them if they wanted to alt transfer loot and crap. In turn, people weren't shitty to me because of that reputation, so I made the mistake of assuming everyone knew that. I did recall once I died in SolB to some LDC and someone at a camp there offered to drag my corpse to the zone. Next thing I know, they had looted my corpse. I confronted the person about it and their logic was that since I gave consent to drag, it was on me that I lost my stuff. I had a GM/Guide there in less than a minute and they got my stuff back from the looter lol

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
That does remind me, how when you gave consent to have someone drag your corpse, how they also could loot your corpse of anything that wasnt no drop.

I was a trust worthy person on the server, so people usually asked me to hold stuff for them if they wanted to alt transfer loot and crap. In turn, people weren't shitty to me because of that reputation, so I made the mistake of assuming everyone knew that. I did recall once I died in SolB to some LDC and someone at a camp there offered to drag my corpse to the zone. Next thing I know, they had looted my corpse. I confronted the person about it and their logic was that since I gave consent to drag, it was on me that I lost my stuff. I had a GM/Guide there in less than a minute and they got my stuff back from the looter lol
And that person was Keg.

• 4Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users