Everquest II

i'm actually half-tempted to make a sk or something on my silver account and putz around. is eq2 remotely fun? last time the ui freaked me the fuck out and i logged off immediately. ive never seen such a plastic luster to a video game, and an mmo at that

ixian_sl

shitlord
how bad are the f2p restrictions in eq2? does not being able to equip higher tiers of gear limit characters badly?
Pretty much every piece of gear released after Destiny of Velious is Legendary or above -- quest rewards included -- which means you'll need item unlockers. This might also be the case with lower level gear after the big item revamp as well but I haven't taken a character through the quest lines since then so I couldn't tell you. Silver lets you use up to Expert tier spells (which is one tier below Master, the highest besides the special Grand Master spells you get as part of the leveling process), which are crafted by players and are good enough for general dicking around.

i'm actually half-tempted to make a sk or something on my silver account and putz around. is eq2 remotely fun? last time the ui freaked me the fuck out and i logged off immediately. ive never seen such a plastic luster to a video game, and an mmo at that
This is a hard question to answer! If you're okay with the ability bloat and art style, I guess it's worth checking out for a bit but the game doesn't really have any special traits that make it easy to recommend. If you hate the UI, you can find some replacements over atEQ2Interface.

Asmadai

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I hate the fact that now 5+ years later EQ2 still has shitty bugs. I literally can't play this game when it is fully installed. If it is, I get the black screen of death after the patcher 100% of the time. If I uninstall, download the 150mbs needed to play and then stream downlod it, it works like a charm. If I let the streamer finish, and log out, broken again.

If anyone has a viable solution aside from the 30 different ones i've tried already I'd be mucho thankful. I've pretty much uninstalled/reinstalled EQ2 3 times over the past 3 days to play it, and I know that can't be healthy for my PC. :p

bixxby

Molten Core Raider
Never saw anything like that, do you have some half broken addon sitting in the folder or something? Completely deleting the EQ2 folder when you uninstall/reinstall? And are you using the full install or the streaming shit?

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
It isn't surprising though. Their patcher service is terrible; every time I ever had to DL patches or new content it would either try to download an entirely new client, or make me stream. A number of times I wouldn't be able to play for a day or two because I would have to search for other people having the same issue and see what folder I needed to delete that particular time or other fix for that instance, because I'd be pissed that their shit never worked and refused to DL the entire fucking game again from scratch on principle alone. I remember a thread where someone was told (I think via support ticket or something) that they needed to actually delete everything EQ2 related and DL fresh, which blew my mind (translation: we don't know why our own shit doesn't work and we can't puzzle it out, so we'll claim that it's due to disparate hardware and software combinations even though scads of people have the exact same issue every time a patch is released). Lots of assetcache issues too. Also the whole deal with Launchpad 4 deleting folders wholesale and necessitating a full reinstall.

Plaid_sl

shitlord
What's the problem with streaming? I installed about 3 weeks ago via stream. It worked perfectly. I was in game within several minutes.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Like most things of this sort with EQ2, there is a lot of variation between individuals. I'd randomly log in and be forced into using streaming when I already had the full client installed. As far as "what is wrong with streaming", it's slow. Even with an average connection you have the wait time and even when you'd be in certain zones some people would have their FPS drop into the shitter because they'd have it streaming in the background. Again, be aware that the streaming client, like a lot of things with EQ2, works so differently between different people that anecdotal stories of "it works fine for me" don't mean much at all.

Also the streaming client has a lot of issues. Possibly more than other things to do with EQ2, which I must say is impressive. Don't take my word for it though.

http://forums.station.sony.com/eq2/i...playable.1563/
The streaming client is very unreliable. I got a huge framerate increase from just downloading the whole thing (however I am on fibre optic broadband 41mbps). trust me, it really helps, convert your client from a streaming one to the full one, download all the data and it will improve
Seph is right. try downloading the full version of the game. It should be more stable. If you continue to have issues, please submit a technical support ticket so we can further assist you.
Note that the second quote is one of the customer service people admitting that the DLed client is more stable, lol. I mean, if you aren't having issues then great, but a lot of people do and I didn't know many people that put up with it. It's kind of hard to quantify though, because honestly people have issues with the DLed client too.

I tried streaming for a day or two, when I was having issues with EQ2 not recognizing my prior install (one of multiple occurrences) and thought that for once maybe it would be easier to just let it reinstall via streaming and wipe my hands of it. I saw a significant FPS drop and went back to getting my existing install to work.

ixian_sl

shitlord
It's pretty much like a lot of things they do with EQ2: they see another game has a good idea, make a half-assed copy of it, and then never go and fix it. EQ2 is an amalgam of things like that now, which grants it a quirky charm but also makes it frustrating as hell to engage with.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
People who hotkey every single ability and thumb their noses at those who use macros to cut down on the retarded bullshit are absolutely hilarious to me. You'll see them defend to death how high brow and complex and "skill rewarding" EQ2's piece of shit system is while they frantically play whack a mole with their mouse. Don't listen to them. Macro everything you can.

Of course, with .5 second cast times and no GCD, you'll find that you are machine gunning the fuck out of that button until you get everything on cooldown. I therefore recommend a simple autohotkey key repeater script. Turn off ability queuing and just hold the button down.

<- one button macro typically outdamaged all except the assassins... as an illusionist. Sad.

Silence_sl

shitlord
I hate the fact that now 5+ years later EQ2 still has shitty bugs. I literally can't play this game when it is fully installed. If it is, I get the black screen of death after the patcher 100% of the time. If I uninstall, download the 150mbs needed to play and then stream downlod it, it works like a charm. If I let the streamer finish, and log out, broken again.

If anyone has a viable solution aside from the 30 different ones i've tried already I'd be mucho thankful. I've pretty much uninstalled/reinstalled EQ2 3 times over the past 3 days to play it, and I know that can't be healthy for my PC. :p
Download the full client and avoid the streaming client at all costs.

AlekseiFL_sl

shitlord
http://eq2wire.com/2013/03/12/game-u...th/#more-15776

Veilous update end of April 2013.

From Holly "Windstalker" Longdale on the EQ2 Forums:

To all Norrathians,

The Velious saga continues! New lands and adventures will be uncovered on April 30 with Game Update 66 entitled EverQuest II: Scars of the Awakened!

Ever vigilant, Norrathians march united under the banner of the New Combine army, deeper into the perilous continent of Velious.

Finally, the army breaches the borders of a region known as Cobalt Scar - a majestic, lush, but tormented region. And from within dark passages in the surrounding mountains, the inhabitants of Sirens Grotto beckon to all.

The first news heard from Cobalt Scar concerns tribes of Othmir that succumbed to an unfortunate fate that now threatens everyone. Further examination into the area will reveal a foreboding presence of the Awakened Legion, a force of evil that decimated dragonkind in the legendary city of Skyshrine.

Nearby, in the watery depths of Sirens Grotto - unseen by landwalkers for the ages - it is said that the caverns hold secrets of their own. And the beguiling siren coven known as the Darkwater Sisters will not give up those secrets easily.

All the while, the Ages End Prophecy looms with its promise to see Kerafyrm - Norrath's most evil, powerful dragon - bring a violent end to the world. Heroes from every corner of Norrath are called to explore this new land in Velious and fight for a future for all.

For those brave and stalwart, we welcome you to EverQuest II: Scars of the Awakened! Cobalt Scar will have many new carefully crafted quests that tell incredible stories. Sirens Grotto - the new dungeon -- will bring you solo, heroic, and raid challenges. You will also find all-new collections, tradeskill quest lines, tradeskill apprentice items, and updated PvP rewards. Not to be forgotten are improvements resulting from the class feedback players gave us on our community forums!

Beta is expected to begin on April 2 and we encourage everyone to log in help us ensure our game is fun and tested well!

Look for more details in the coming weeks as we release art, lore, and gameplay features through articles, webcasts and more! You won't want to miss a thing!

Holly Longdale
Producer, EverQuest II

Silence_sl

shitlord
I wonder what zone they are going to retexture as CS. CoE had two overland zones, one of them was a retexture of Loping Plains.

Silence_sl

shitlord
Mmm...Siren's Grotto. Won't be any good unless we can /camp port to the other side.
smile.png

smile.png

I wonder what zone they are going to retexture as CS. CoE had two overland zones, one of them was a retexture of Loping Plains.
Not to defend SOE - but you realize that was on purpose, right? They even said in the pre-release stuff that one was the other realm-y version of Ferrott and the
other being Lopings Plains.

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
<- one button macro typically outdamaged all except the assassins... as an illusionist. Sad.
That is very sad indeed although to be fair some classes are a lot harder to macro (well they lose a lot of effectiveness if you 1 button macro them). Wizards for example. But yeah my Bruiser and Coercer are both pretty much 1 button wonders. Bruiser has a button for AE and a button for temp buffs too. What complex gameplay!

I have a great fondness for EQ2 but the half arsed last xpac ruined it for me.

AlekseiFL_sl

shitlord
Who uses Eq2 or VG default UI?For years now, Default UI makes me wanna kill myself.

AlekseiFL_sl

shitlord
That is very sad indeed although to be fair some classes are a lot harder to macro (well they lose a lot of effectiveness if you 1 button macro them). Wizards for example. But yeah my Bruiser and Coercer are both pretty much 1 button wonders. Bruiser has a button for AE and a button for temp buffs too. What complex gameplay!

I have a great fondness for EQ2 but the half arsed last xpac ruined it for me.
Just last xpcac did that to you?

Veilous 1 of eq 1 greatest expansions how could they fuck that up, hmm Sillus did the Itemization that made crafting in eq2 semi great next to vanguard to just give everyone same 2 dam stats on items, almost all the raid guilds and even casual guilds left in droves cause of Veilous.