Everquest Mysteries

Wingz

Being Poor Sucks.

Correct me if I am wrong here but I seem to recall the Moss Covered Twig originally being a main hand item and not an off hand one. Which is why it was busted at 3 dmg 10 delay.

His #1 as Kerafrym is stupid though.

I have a pre-nerf circlet of shadow on my human paladin. I was in the Bazzar one day way back shortly after Luclin was launched and checked for things randomly. Saw it for 1cp. What was likely happening is people put stuff for low price because of how the price organizes, usually a range and highest to lowest. Also likely someone was putting it there to trade with someone else. Well before the mail system. I'm sure they were pissed but screw em. Never did make an SK or Necro ..just sitting there in inventory to this day.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Siliconemelons

Didnt know that about veksar, cool...

EQ really is one of the best made games and had really good lore...yes I will include cats in space... the "extended classic cycle" of EQ->Kunark->Velious->Luclin->POP and PoTime ending is a really great game. And THAT is the scope of what would make a perfect "EQ2.0"

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>

EQ really is one of the best made games and had really good lore...yes I will include cats in space... the "extended classic cycle" of EQ->Kunark->Velious->Luclin->POP and PoTime ending is a really great game. And THAT is the scope of what would make a perfect "EQ2.0"
Its called TLPs

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member

honestly, i have no recollection of Veksar at all during Kunark. i feel like I'm losing my mind because i did every part of Kunark and helped every class with their epics, but no memory of Veksar. i dont get it.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
June 12th, 2003
Veksar released June 12th, 2003. Almost a year after PoP, inbetween Legacy of Ykesha and Lost Dungeons of Norrath.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
Veksar was actually in the client's zone list internally since Kunark. However, it was not open until mid LoY and the zone files were not released until then. I'd assume Veksar hasn't been touched up at all, art-wise, since its initial creation. It doesn't use too many advanced texture features that were present in LoY+ zones, so I am going to guess it was made and then just never used.

The base game, Kunark, and Velious also had a few other zones like that, some of which still aren't out, or are complete remakes from concepts or partially finished art.

Aviak Village - I'm assuming South Karana was two zones at one point, one of them being the north part of South Karana, and the second one being this zone known as Aviak Village. It's close enough to Lake Rathetear in order that it could have been planned that way. Also, South Karana is massive so it's possible they thought PCs couldn't handle it early in development.

The Pit - Narris, one of the old EQ GMs (and namesake of Sirran the Lunatic in Sky), told me in P99's IRC years ago that this was supposed to be the underground portion of thurgadinb. It never was released, but only contained that part of the zone. I believe Prathun or another dev later confirmed this on EQLive's message board.

The Player's Arena - A zone only known as 'arena2" in the client. I'm unsure what this is, but it's referenced, and worth noting. No information exists about it.

Nektropos - Not much was known about this area... at least until the lore behind the namesake was later revealed in EQ2 in the form of Nektropos Castle, the haunted home of Lord Everling, whom I assume was supposed to live here in EQ1.

Neriak Palace - Also known as 'neriakd' or Neriak Fourth Gate, this later had a reimagning in both EQ1 later in time, and EQ2 additionally features a 'Neriak Palace' area in the city of Neriak off of Darklight Wood. It's supposed to be Queen Cristanos Thex's hidden palace, beyond the walls of Neriak's Third Gate. The Ghouls near the Necromancer guild also shout her namesake. How cool is that?

Abbey of Innoruuk - I believe this was some sort of hateplane tie-in. Not sure. It was scrubbed right after Luclin/PoP from existing forever.

Magi - Also has the short name 'jrbase1' associated with it. I think this ties in to the default zone name somehow.

• 9Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 9 users

Witless

Trakanon Raider

Correct me if I am wrong here but I seem to recall the Moss Covered Twig originally being a main hand item and not an off hand one. Which is why it was busted at 3 dmg 10 delay.

His #1 as Kerafrym is stupid though.

This video is missing the Mistwalker. Story goes that FoH was the reason the op pet proc was nerfed multiple times.

Siliconemelons

There are so many added later, imagined and half done stuff that if there was an EQ2.0 if they just added that stuff it would be bigger and awesome.

Just look at the classic map...so many things listed that never made it.

• 1Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
i went over to Veksar last night and its a HUGE zone. like its big enough to be a Freeport type starting city. its mob population is retarded though. 3 mob types with stupid generic names. you can tell its an oldschool zone, but whomever released it later had no idea what to do with it. i ended up wandering around for an hour. saw all the tunnels and major staging areas where big bosses should be. there isnt jack shit to do there. Kudos to that woman for making this sound like a much cooler place than than it is in reality.

• 1Like

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I used to go there on my Necro, cause all the undead. The loot/exp was a bit better than it's level range also.

Edit: The dragon's were fuckin dicks to the Iksar.

• 1Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
I used to go there on my Necro, cause all the undead. The loot/exp was a bit better than it's level range also.

Edit: The dragon's were fuckin dicks to the Iksar.
its a safer spot for a mid 50s char to exp due to its size than say OS which was a dangerous place during Kunark. though, a zone like OS was how i got recruited by Da`kor (emarr raid guild). i was the only shaman in the zone for a month so getting a group was beyond easy. i would log out by the click in at the end of the night. then soon as i logged in the next day i would get hit up for a group inside. reason this happened was because OS was lesser pop zone because of the non soulbound key and it was safer to just work Karnors or one of the outside zones. i had a few really close calls where i died down deep and couldnt get a rez for my corpse and i was in a guild back then which didnt have anyone in OS. but i soldiered on and the same people i grouped with every day were all da`kor peeps and it forced me to up my game/skillset significantly. if i had stuck to root rotting out in dreadlands or sitting on the left courtyard of KC, my char would never have amounted to anything and probably quit the game out of boredom.

TLDR veksar is not for me

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
its a safer spot for a mid 50s char to exp due to its size than say OS which was a dangerous place during Kunark. though, a zone like OS was how i got recruited by Da`kor (emarr raid guild). i was the only shaman in the zone for a month so getting a group was beyond easy. i would log out by the click in at the end of the night. then soon as i logged in the next day i would get hit up for a group inside. reason this happened was because OS was lesser pop zone because of the non soulbound key and it was safer to just work Karnors or one of the outside zones. i had a few really close calls where i died down deep and couldnt get a rez for my corpse and i was in a guild back then which didnt have anyone in OS. but i soldiered on and the same people i grouped with every day were all da`kor peeps and it forced me to up my game/skillset significantly. if i had stuck to root rotting out in dreadlands or sitting on the left courtyard of KC, my char would never have amounted to anything and probably quit the game out of boredom.

Was azayia a member of dakor at the time?

Siliconemelons

Yes Veksar was one of those zones that was always "expected soon" because it was mentioned in Kunark era lore, you could see it...I think the zone in was even there, or perhaps had a rock in the way... and honestly from what many have said - it was /made/ in that timeline even if it was not /populated/ until its actual release.

Kunark, for as much as people LOVED IT...really did not have many "RAID" things as its made out to be... VS and Trakanon...Royals I suppose count but their loot was so narrow in focus they were generally a chore and epic quests only.

You can tell, I agree, that Veksar was made to be a raid zone - with at-least 2 "bosses" akin to Royals progression... but when it did finally come out, it was just a decent exp solo/group zone with fancy named but ho-hum loot for era. It would have been good in Kunark to have another place to go... high competition servers really got bottle necked in the Trak/VS gulch... yes I know VP, but that is its own thing honestly.

Yeah 3 world dragons... But consider Classic - Fear, Hate, Sky, Phinny, Nag and Vox. Kunark was not much "more" with VS, Trak, Royals, 3 Dragons. If you consider per target they are even... and the point of expansions is to grow, and EQ was booming with Kunark... fortunately Velious was quick at its heels... And well... it had numerious more targets for a larger scale of raid forces... as did SoL... then there was POP... as I have said, Classic-POP is a great timeline, gimmy my rose glasses and feels bro, i love it.

• 2Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Was azayia a member of dakor at the time?
i'll be honest, i am really really bad with A letter names in EQ. i have know ashoras ashayas azeras azoras azarias areos aresoas aadars aldars aanars aackies aaces and the list goes on, i might know that person but its over 20 years now and those A names all blur together. i also became a probie in Da`kor during the beginning of velius. i was raiding with them during kunark.
this is the only screenshot i have i can find on this pc.
Chardok-FirstPrince01.jpg

Last edited:
  • 1Like