Everquest Mysteries

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
The weird thing about that is WoW allows their data to be mined. They can encrypt and obfuscate pretty much whatever they want (in-game cinematics, for example, are only decrypted and viewable when Blizz flips the switch).

eXarc

Trakanon Raider
I remember wanting a CCoM so goddamn bad I literally stopped playing for a while because I was young and too retarded to put in the work to get one, lol. They did look boss though.

TheYanger

Bronze Knight of the Realm
The weird thing about that is WoW allows their data to be mined. They can encrypt and obfuscate pretty much whatever they want (in-game cinematics, for example, are only decrypted and viewable when Blizz flips the switch).
I mean...they would have to have it decrypted to test shit, the only way to prevent it from getting datamined is to leave it unusable, which kind of defeats the purpose of either testing (beta/ptr datamining) the stuff, or putting it live (actual patches). A video file once in a blue moon is pretty easy, selectively preventing quests from working until they want people to find them or whatever is not the same.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I mean...they would have to have it decrypted to test shit, the only way to prevent it from getting datamined is to leave it unusable, which kind of defeats the purpose of either testing (beta/ptr datamining) the stuff, or putting it live (actual patches). A video file once in a blue moon is pretty easy, selectively preventing quests from working until they want people to find them or whatever is not the same.
I could be revealing the depth of my ignorance, but as I understand it, a lot of information is server-side only. That traffic is controllable by simply denying the request server side, no? Like at the end of wrath, when "gearscore" was the most popular add on for PUG raids, they shut down the add on by denying the server requests.

TheYanger

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I could be revealing the depth of my ignorance, but as I understand it, a lot of information is server-side only. That traffic is controllable by simply denying the request server side, no? Like at the end of wrath, when "gearscore" was the most popular add on for PUG raids, they shut down the add on by denying the server requests.
It's literally all client side. Doing it all server side would be inefficient and slow. Your item stuff is in a cache, and the quest text is just straight up in the files afaik.

I mean, I'm not saying they couldn't possibly do it, but they'd have to change how stuff is set up, and it would slow it all down for no real reason other than to preserve 'the secret' of whatever you're convinced needs it. Like, quests can benefit from not being known for example - but they can't be tested then. Same for most anything else. Video files are just video files, they can test that the script functions with placeholder videos (which they often do) and then just swap the file easily later.

Morrow

Trakanon Raider

Am I the only one with intense nostalgia for the ToV music? I died many times getting there, long before any guild had ever cleared it for the first time. So I ended up sitting at the entrance, playing with Eyes of Zomm and gating when I got agro (bound outside past Sontalaak) to explore. It was pure awe for me. That was the pinnacle of Everquest excitement for me. When a new expansion came out and there were no guidebooks or webpages to tell you what was what. People genuinely explored and had no idea what zone they were entering when they would suddenly hit an invisible wall and see "LOADING, PLEASE WAIT..." . I miss that feeling of exploration.

I remember when Velious came out I would spam /who alls and /who all foh's to see what kinds of zone names people had found. Getting to Temple of Veeshan was amazing and I knew that was the end of the expansion (wrong, obviously, there was Plane of Mischief! which I have even more nostalgia for, perhaps more than any other EQ zone) so all I wanted to do was explore it, but was unable to do so since nobody on any server was ready to raid it yet at the time. Back in triology days, racing levels was never the most important thing to me, it was exploration, so I always fell behind in favor of exploring.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
So many things I always heard, but were either not in the game or were removed for technological reasons/put in later after they had become 'legend'.

---

Sea Monsters in the Ocean of Tears (High level sharks, sure. And the Allizewsaur on it's own little island) that would glitch through the boat and kill you if you went near the railings.

The megalodon in Lake Rathe (Believe this was in early, but was removed due to bugs, then later added as part of the Shaman(?) 1.5/2.0 Epic quest).

A Clockwork Dragon underneath of Ak`anon (Did they ever add this?)

A secret entrance to the dragon spine mountains (Not in the game, later ended up being an expansion?)

A 'monster' in the lake in Kithicor Forest that could aggro on you if you ran the wall on that side of the zone. (99% sure this one was an urban legend)

Everyone and everything being tied to the Ancient Cyclops spawn. My favorite was that, supposedly, killing Dragoon Zytl in Western Commonlands caused it to spawn - So whenever I went through the zone, I murdered him if he was up. That and for sweet revenge for all of those times her ganked me while I was doing Dervish camps.

And of course, all of the jokes about zone lines 'changing' sometimes - Burning Woods comes to mind, but I heard all sorts through the years.

Ahhh. Memories. Selling: FIVE Bags of Twink Gear at T2!

God I still remember the time me and my friend were in the ocean of tears when the boat started freaking out. It started going lower and lower on the water line to the point where only the tops of the mast were still above water. Me and my friend are standing on the arms of the mast close enough to the water we were starting to train sharks and other sea critters to zone clinging to the mast for dear life. That was one of the most hilarious game bugs I have ever seen in any game.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
I have a weird fear of shit in water just outside of my vision so the quest in lake rathe where you supposed to dive down to grab a coin(if I remember that correctly) I noped the fuck out because it was too dark to see the bottom. Never did figure out if the coin was below that platform or not.

• 2Solidarity
  • 2Like
Reactions: 3 users

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
I have a weird fear of shit in water just outside of my vision so the quest in lake rathe where you supposed to dive down to grab a coin(if I remember that correctly) I noped the fuck out because it was too dark to see the bottom. Never did figure out if the coin was below that platform or not.

I have a fear of depths or "nothingness" that sometimes gets me anxious when diving underwater in WoW or in EQ. One of the shaman epic quests had you just dive to the bottom of one of the ocean zones, I can't remember which, talk to some dudes for some tests where one is just chilling and waiting for a while. Had to man up mentally to find it and get that one done.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Szeth

Trakanon Raider
I have a fear of depths or "nothingness" that sometimes gets me anxious when diving underwater in WoW or in EQ. One of the shaman epic quests had you just dive to the bottom of one of the ocean zones, I can't remember which, talk to some dudes for some tests where one is just chilling and waiting for a while. Had to man up mentally to find it and get that one done.

I always hated the first battle for the monk epic where you had to go down in the lava for this reason. It was such an exercise in trust to know that everyone was down there (and cooking in lava constantly) even when you could only see 6 inches in front of you.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
God I still remember the time me and my friend were in the ocean of tears when the boat started freaking out. It started going lower and lower on the water line to the point where only the tops of the mast were still above water. Me and my friend are standing on the arms of the mast close enough to the water we were starting to train sharks and other sea critters to zone clinging to the mast for dear life. That was one of the most hilarious game bugs I have ever seen in any game.
right before kunark went live a friend and i were in OOT exping on dinosaur island. we were trying to max 50 before the expansion so we could ding 51. all of a sudden we aggroed the big dog Alizeswaur or whatever its called and we couldnt handle it so we ran our asses off over to the island with the boat (sister island?) we made it and were chilling out on the dock waiting for the boat talking about the close call we had and all of a sudden LOADING PLEASE WAIT... i came back at my spawn point and while i started running back to wait for the OOT boat my friend (necro) was telling me in group she was FDing there because the dinosaur had followed us all the way back to the docks and had just killed me and the 20 or so noobs arriving on the boat. the dinosaur was killing people left and right. more noobs headed to the docks and were killed. the boat at the dock with all the dead noobs left and when it got to the end of the screen it dfumped all the bodies into the middle of the ocean. another boat comes in. more people slaughtered. finally the guide came in and had to summon all the bodies and move alize back to the island. was a huge mess. at least i got a free guide rez out of it.

• 7Like
Reactions: 6 users

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Wrong thread, but it's stories like that which are part of what made EQ great and truly memorable. You don't hear shit like that anymore from today's games.

• 1Like

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
right before kunark went live a friend and i were in OOT exping on dinosaur island. we were trying to max 50 before the expansion so we could ding 51. all of a sudden we aggroed the big dog Alizeswaur or whatever its called and we couldnt handle it so we ran our asses off over to the island with the boat (sister island?) we made it and were chilling out on the dock waiting for the boat talking about the close call we had and all of a sudden LOADING PLEASE WAIT... i came back at my spawn point and while i started running back to wait for the OOT boat my friend (necro) was telling me in group she was FDing there because the dinosaur had followed us all the way back to the docks and had just killed me and the 20 or so noobs arriving on the boat. the dinosaur was killing people left and right. more noobs headed to the docks and were killed. the boat at the dock with all the dead noobs left and when it got to the end of the screen it dfumped all the bodies into the middle of the ocean. another boat comes in. more people slaughtered. finally the guide came in and had to summon all the bodies and move alize back to the island. was a huge mess. at least i got a free guide rez out of it.

I have a similar story in OOT. It was 1999, and I was a scared Halfling Druid that did not want to leave the safety of Misty Thicket until it was absolutely necessary. I was playing with a friend, another Halfling, and finally at around level 11 he convinced me that we needed to move on to greener pastures and go to some place called Freeport so we could catch a boat to Faydwer. We got on the boat with a dozen + other people and I stood near the edge of the boat and stared out at the fast moving ocean and islands with awe, trying to see everything I could as it quickly passed, taking screenshots and not paying attention to chat. Then I heard the distinct noises of skulls getting cracked, that heavy damage noise you hear in EQ, and turned to see a seafury cyclops's head bobbing above the water and people dying left and right. We all died, of course. And spent hours trying to get our corpses back (which were just a few pieces of leather and Fine Steel Weapons we were lucky to get from a necro soloing Rivervale guards), which was a HUGE deal then, at level 11. Finally we had to petition a GM, because our corpses had sunk to the very most bottom of the ocean's geometry and were impossible to recover. GM was super nice and rez'd us and got us to safety in Kaladim. My friend threatened to quit and go back to his other server because the loss of our leather and Fine Steel Weapons were such a critical blow. Lucky for him I petitioned a GM and he got to stay on the glory that was Veeshan.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Salty

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Strayed slightly off topic, but best boat story was a guild PoSky raid. The usual strat was simply to jump off the island when you finish a raid where you safely land in the water in the Freeport harbor. Lo and behold, as we are falling you can see the boat pulling into Freeport. Half a dozen people managed to land on the boat as it was pathing by and died of falling damage. Pretty hilarious at the time!

• 1Like

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Saw that once. Annoying AF needing a new port for yourself , a necro with a coffin, and a clr rez.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
I have a similar story in OOT. It was 1999, and I was a scared Halfling Druid that did not want to leave the safety of Misty Thicket until it was absolutely necessary. I was playing with a friend, another Halfling, and finally at around level 11 he convinced me that we needed to move on to greener pastures and go to some place called Freeport so we could catch a boat to Faydwer. We got on the boat with a dozen + other people and I stood near the edge of the boat and stared out at the fast moving ocean and islands with awe, trying to see everything I could as it quickly passed, taking screenshots and not paying attention to chat. Then I heard the distinct noises of skulls getting cracked, that heavy damage noise you hear in EQ, and turned to see a seafury cyclops's head bobbing above the water and people dying left and right. We all died, of course. And spent hours trying to get our corpses back (which were just a few pieces of leather and Fine Steel Weapons we were lucky to get from a necro soloing Rivervale guards), which was a HUGE deal then, at level 11. Finally we had to petition a GM, because our corpses had sunk to the very most bottom of the ocean's geometry and were impossible to recover. GM was super nice and rez'd us and got us to safety in Kaladim. My friend threatened to quit and go back to his other server because the loss of our leather and Fine Steel Weapons were such a critical blow. Lucky for him I petitioned a GM and he got to stay on the glory that was Veeshan.
man, i have so many EQ stories . Emarr was a weird server. one day for no fucking reason my friend was ported directly into Veeshans's Peaks (along with a dozen or so other random players non keyed and under level). some crazy fucking guide just felt like summoning folks in there. i had a guildie who once told me on the sly that he was in the guide program on another server and i sent him a frantic message about what just happened and what i could do to help my friend who's corpse was now under the ass of a VP dragon. nobody i knew could even go in there to help CR .

finally my guildie gets back to me and says "uh i dont know what to say, VP is hands off to guides, how your friend got ported in there wasnt a bug, its a "feature" "so basically we had to log out and complain on eq chat with the other folks who got summoned. i thought for sure the GM was gonna tell us to fuck off. luckily they didnt and people got their corpses back

Lenaldo

Golden Knight of the Realm
That's something I long for, is undiscovered quests/items/etc. There was something amazing about that time in games before datamining really became popular. Of course it's always nice to have a database to go look up the shit after the fact but currently in WoW for example, we had tons of voice lines and quests and dialogue before the beta for the new expansion even came out. It's kind of a bummer honestly.

Used to love looking at the loot screenshots from the top guilds as they downed bosses for the first time... especially knowing you never knew if there was some ultra rare drop that hadn't been found yet.

Also... I always looked forward to patch days since they seemed to introduce game breaking bugs all the time (hello CoF from rats in freeport!). Always was fun to find the temporary exploits and try to utilize them as much as possible before they were patched.

• 3Like

tyen

EQ in a browser wait time: ____
<Banned>
both those mystery videos were stupid.

• 1Salty