Everquest Mysteries

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Vanessa

Uncle Tanya
<Banned>
My guy!

I'm glad your memory is better than mine.

Your question is easily answered by the fact that Twitch and EQ are two Titanics in the same ocean separated not by merit, but by time. Legendary ships passing in the night, not just miles apart, but times apart.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
i think somebody dun goofed on their bazaar auction on my server. i bought Holgresh Elder Beads for 45k plats. maybe they left a zero off there by accident. tell me what are some good uses for the eye of zomm?

kobra

Trakanon Raider
i think somebody dun goofed on their bazaar auction on my server. i bought Holgresh Elder Beads for 45k plats. maybe they left a zero off there by accident. tell me what are some good uses for the eye of zomm?

As a necro I like to use it to get a proc from the blood nukes for a dot boost before boss fights.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Louis

Trakanon Raider
Wanted to post this here in case people don't follow this guys interviews. The interviews over the last month or so have been really good stuff. This one in particular was great as they touched on initial combat design.

He also had the Butlers on recently. While I dont agree on their takes for a lot of things they still have some interesting behind the scenes stories.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Brad2770

Was there ever anything released describing quests that were never discovered? I know it was talked about in this thread, but I guess I missed if there was anything conclusive.

Louis

Trakanon Raider
I think at some point in time they said all had been discovered, but there were lots of quests that were never finished from a developement perspective.

• 1Like

Louis

Trakanon Raider
Did he ask GZ why he made wizards so bad
Hah, I dont think they got into the Wizard class. Felt like they only touched the surface on the information they could have pulled from him.

They did talk about having to spend lots of time trying to talk Brad out of crazy ideas. Brad wanted to provide characters perma random amounts of hp on level ups lol.

• 1WTF
  • 1Double Worf
Reactions: 1 users

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Oh man, I can just imagine the level of degeneracy. People leveling up characters constantly just to get the best roll outcome.

• 1Worf
  • 1Double Worf

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Oh man, I can just imagine the level of degeneracy. People leveling up characters constantly just to get the best roll outcome.
You have any idea how many brand new D&D fighters suicide themselves to "save the party' after rolling an 01 on their exceptional strength roll?

• 2Worf

elbas

Molten Core Raider
In any of these interviews, do they mention why so much work was put into PvP? They had the Priest for PvP flagging on non-PvP servers, dueling, arenas, and actual PvP servers. I know there were always balance problems, but it seems like a lot of work for something which just a small portion of the playerbase utilized.

Louis

Trakanon Raider
In any of these interviews, do they mention why so much work was put into PvP? They had the Priest for PvP flagging on non-PvP servers, dueling, arenas, and actual PvP servers. I know there were always balance problems, but it seems like a lot of work for something which just a small portion of the playerbase utilized.
PvP was brought up occasionally but I dont remember specifics. All original team member interviews reinforce the fact they never expected the game to last longer than a year or two.

I think every idea that was initially implemented was based on "hey this would be cool" with absolutely no thought of "how will we manage this for the next 20 years?"

Its actually amazing the game worked at all back then when they described how it was originally rigged together.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
PvP was brought up occasionally but I dont remember specifics. All original team member interviews reinforce the fact they never expected the game to last longer than a year or two.

I think every idea that was initially implemented was based on "hey this would be cool" with absolutely no thought of "how will we manage this for the next 20 years?"

Its actually amazing the game worked at all back then when they described how it was originally rigged together.
EQ was in development for something like 4 years? i seriously doubt they were only projecting a 2 year run. if that was the case they wouldnt have held back Kunark and Velious to release as their own expansions. those 2 continents were planned out originally.

Louis

Trakanon Raider
EQ was in development for something like 4 years? i seriously doubt they were only projecting a 2 year run. if that was the case they wouldnt have held back Kunark and Velious to release as their own expansions. those 2 continents were planned out originally.
The idea of kunark may have been there from a lore/idea perspective but they were basically throwing a hailmary to get classic out, much less beyond that.

Timestamped the linked stream that talks about this specifically.

Another database issue that is commonly brought up was the limit of 32k hp mobs. I think it was one of the Bill Fischer interviews, but he basically goes into detail of how they had to rig mob regen to bypass the limiation they self imposed.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
Hah, I dont think they got into the Wizard class. Felt like they only touched the surface on the information they could have pulled from him.

They did talk about having to spend lots of time trying to talk Brad out of crazy ideas. Brad wanted to provide characters perma random amounts of hp on level ups lol.

Thats very old school. I played games that predated EQ where you'd get a random amount of hps per level up and you could get very unlucky and have a gimped character after a few levels of that.

• 1Like

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Baldur's Gate 1 (D&D foundations) made you do a HP roll every time you leveled. Of course, everyone saved their game and kept rolling till you maxed out. So, they patched in an option "Max rolls HP on level".

• 1Like