Everquest Mysteries

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
man, i have so many EQ stories . Emarr was a weird server. one day for no fucking reason my friend was ported directly into Veeshans's Peaks (along with a dozen or so other random players non keyed and under level). some crazy fucking guide just felt like summoning folks in there. i had a guildie who once told me on the sly that he was in the guide program on another server and i sent him a frantic message about what just happened and what i could do to help my friend who's corpse was now under the ass of a VP dragon. nobody i knew could even go in there to help CR .

finally my guildie gets back to me and says "uh i dont know what to say, VP is hands off to guides, how your friend got ported in there wasnt a bug, its a "feature" "so basically we had to log out and complain on eq chat with the other folks who got summoned. i thought for sure the GM was gonna tell us to fuck off. luckily they didnt and people got their corpses back

That's a well known story that made its way across all servers (I think at least, definitely heard about the lol's on Veeshan). Most people, even people that play progression or p99, don't truly understand how brutal VP was in early Kunark. Your corpse expired in a single day, you lost your key when you died, and res timer was only an hour? Everything was super speeded up. It was so scary raiding there, knowing that if your guild's backup cleric/res team fucked up, you were pretty much done. You'd lose everything on your corpse forever. That GM was "getting revenge" on the ungrateful unpolite playerbase, iirc and it's specifically why, after that, GM's only had certain access. Level 20 gm's couldn't even go into dungeons I think, and then there were tiers. Only the highest highest level of GM could go into VP after that.

Lol I remember the Cloak of Flames dropping off fire beetles. That was insane. Haha omg EQ... so many amazing unique stories.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
VP 1.0 in Kunark had all wandering wurms respawning every 2 minutes. God that zone was a pain in the dick!

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Emarr server was amusing. Named for the Goddess of Love, filled with a community that completely loathed itself. Should have realized we were a fucked up place when Ebonlore started there.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Emarr server was amusing. Named for the Goddess of Love, filled with a community that completely loathed itself. Should have realized we were a fucked up place when Ebonlore started there.
and we were probably the last server to do any kind of rotation system for epic mobs or dragons in general. the server motto was always "race to the dragons" even when there was no dragons to race to, but a zone or valuable named pop. was all very cutthroat and i wouldnt have it any other way. after i quit eq i was so disgusted with how happy sunny WoW was at launch that i quit after 4 months.

Szeth

Trakanon Raider
I never did it on live - but on ED in WoW I remember some pretty epic battles of Azuregos. Like 300+ people just annihilating each other and griefing. Not to get too off topic.

• 1Like

othree

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Used to love looking at the loot screenshots from the top guilds as they downed bosses for the first time... especially knowing you never knew if there was some ultra rare drop that hadn't been found yet.

Also... I always looked forward to patch days since they seemed to introduce game breaking bugs all the time (hello CoF from rats in freeport!). Always was fun to find the temporary exploits and try to utilize them as much as possible before they were patched.

While other kids checked out KB Toys and Sears catalogs, I checked out the uber guilds websites for loot I'd one day get.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
While other kids checked out KB Toys and Sears catalogs, I checked out the uber guilds websites for loot I'd one day get.
ya know what though, while uberguild loot had the best stats and it made me much more resilient and increased my abilities to stand up against powerful creatures, it was all relative to the mobs we were fighting. yeah if i was kitted out in PoP gear i woild be awesome in the old zones, but why would i even bother with the old zones? to show off? that shit gets old after a few minutes. i was still vulnerable to the mobs we were fighting in PoP. the sad part was we still had guys dying because they didnt have basic items from release. the fishbone earring i had in my inventory since i created the character (because of above mentioned drowning issues), even though i have an everlasting breath spell i still kept the earring. no matter what we still lost people in plane of air because our melees didnt have some air breathing item or spell of some kind. like fucking ask me to cast it on you. nope. and it wasnt like this shit was the first time we fought in an airless environment, i was with these guys when we were still hunting kedge keep and then sirens grotto. used to drive me batty.

i quit in 03 and my best items were stuff i got early in the game. FB earring, DE mask and then my shaman epic. everything else was stat upgrades and clickies to save me mana and spell slots. maybe it was different with you guys, but i never really dreamed about uberloot as much as i dreamed about cool loot, on my SK the best was the clicky levitate, clicky invis and ammy of necropotence. yep early old school stuff. manastone was godlike til they fucked it.

-edit and i still always always had my tiny skull earring for debuffer mobs. fuck me i still even had my plane of mischief flowers for the same reason.

Last edited:

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Each new expansion always had a few specific items that were amazing that I focused on. The original epics, the avatar weapons from sleeper's tomb, the fungi tunic etc. Nobody ever cared about the Warlord's Vambraces or whatever even if all those +gooder incremental items were the bulk of your stats.

You still have the same dynamic today. Ex: The Artisan's Prize aug that just came out is amazing and everyone who is anyone has it or is working on getting it. The biggest bitch in getting it is that you have to be PoP flagged up to the elemental planes, so a lot of people are stuck in a massive bottleneck since the mobs have a three day respawn and can be killed in seconds.

Last edited:

Dr Neir

Trakanon Raider
Ya VP, rumor on The Rathe possibly around that time in the early days, was Blood of the Spider somehow got a GM to enter VP during one of their raids. Unknown why but after the GM in the zone someone in the guild trained the GM, .....GM died and went nutz. Heard rumors that BOTS was disbanded, was not disbanded, ppl banded not banded..etc..etc after this.
They were still around after that so unsure what the result was and how all that went down. Never thought to ask Emil (leader at the time) years later at one of their parties at the Vegas Fan fair thing. Think that was his name, been too long now?...
Just remember thinking it was funny. For years after I didnt see as many GMs and only seeing more Guides.

Sudo

Blackwing Lair Raider
/emarr highfive for chuk
I remember the cutthroat dragon/boss competition fondly too

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider
Who was the patron deity of trolls?

Ogres and orcs were Rallos. Trolls weren't Rallos too were they?
Lizards were Cazic.

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
Trolls were Innoruuk. And Ogres could be Cazic as well (SK's and Shamans at least), but it was eventually best to pick Rallos for the Velious benefits. I always loved how important starting diety was in Everquest. It made your character feel so unique and there were so many hidden benefits (or penalties). I loved how only Bards could be Veeshan or that an Agnostic Human could go pretty much anywhere. People forget how big of a deal it was to not be KoS to random city guards, particularly if you played on a superior minded server that used North Freeport as a trading post. I remember going apeshit on prog 1 when Maddoc fucked the Alliance spell line for Enchanters and made it useless.

So much of what made EQ amazing was later destroyed. The freedom to level in a city by killing whatever you capitalized on was absolutely amazing. Most of my camps were in cities back in classic. Everyone remembers all the bard camps that could get you from 7-50. Good ol' Trissa Whistlesong in West Freeport. You'd see Lady Shae and Tyrion as you camped her and her phat lewts of 1plat 3gold flute drops every 5 minutes.

Last edited:

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider
After some digging, it seems Trolls were kind of forced in.
"Cazic-Thule, Lord of Fear, was drawn to the swamps and jungles of Norrath and there created the green skinned Trolls"

Iksar and the lizardman embody the Cazic-Thule mentality, but I cannot get behind Trolls doing it.
Although, after pondering on it, I see it to an extent, I guess. While the former shaped their cultures around the philosophies of fear, Trolls were ruled by their fear of hunger - which would understandably lead to resentment and strife - Hate and War.
I suppose trolls are like living horrors, spreading fear to those that don't want to be eaten - pawns to Cazic as are orcs to Rallos.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
bumpage.
anyone have a boogeyman on your server? somebody that was always known for ninjalooting or training others just for the lulz? on emarr we had a guy named mistywolf. dude ninjaed naggy loot, he ninjaed noob groups trained just about everyone. it go so much people had him pretty much everywhere. it was like a folk legend. if you didnt know better you would think there was no such person. he was real though. eventually the guy either got banned or just switched chars cuz by velius he was never seen again.

• 1Like

Synj

Dystopian Dreamer
<Gold Donor>
bumpage.
anyone have a boogeyman on your server? somebody that was always known for ninjalooting or training others just for the lulz? on emarr we had a guy named mistywolf. dude ninjaed naggy loot, he ninjaed noob groups trained just about everyone. it go so much people had him pretty much everywhere. it was like a folk legend. if you didnt know better you would think there was no such person. he was real though. eventually the guy either got banned or just switched chars cuz by velius he was never seen again.

Had a buddy of mine on E'ci in a guild called Association of Adventurers, pretty big 2nd tier guild if I recall. One night early in the morning he gives me a /tell, "meet me at FP bank". Ok.

I meet him there and he starts trading me phat lewts (Kunark era), fungi tunic, cof, runed bolster belt, jaundiced bone bracer, box of abukar, blue diamond shit and like 200k pp. I mean, just a massive haul of shit that would make anyone but the most hardcore start drooling.

Turns out he had logged into his guildmate's accounts and pilfered EVERYTHING. He gave me the fungi tunic and an RBB + 50k pp to keep my mouth shut and I was all, "I ain't seen shit!" A fungi was like 100k and well beyond my reach at the time. I'm pretty sure they tried to get the GMs involved but nothing ever resulted from it except I got to keep that sweet regen on my shaman. There was definitely some dirty pool being played in EQ. I regret nothing.

Brikker

Trump's Staff
GMs would definitely intervene in those situations. I was in Machin Shin on Xegony and a guild member robbed a couple guildmate accounts and then threw up a bunch of the shit in the bazaar. Next day everything was returned by a GM (but the guy who did the stealing was not punished, just guild removed then quit).

Synj

Dystopian Dreamer
<Gold Donor>
GMs would definitely intervene in those situations. I was in Machin Shin on Xegony and a guild member robbed a couple guildmate accounts and then threw up a bunch of the shit in the bazaar. Next day everything was returned by a GM (but the guy who did the stealing was not punished, just guild removed then quit).

I believe the chain of events went something like this (based on my memory from 13-14 years ago): he gave everything to me and then had me give it to one of his alts, then he bounced over to Zebuxoruk during a free server split. I just don't remember anything coming from it and I was never even asked about it by anyone and I had that gear for a long time and never had it removed.