Everquest - Phinigel server

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

yerm

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Progression servers should start (at least) with Kunark. Its sub-50 content is excellent. The whole problem is entering it already planar geared and epics prefarmed and getting bored - even a single month (Combine) was too long, let alone the quarter year newer timelocks.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Wow you blasphemous fuckers hating on Kunark. You should be ashamed. Kunark #1 EQ expansion ez.

Also, necro raid dps in Kunark? I don't remember. Was always number one on my SK and by huge margins.

At least if they weren't beating on on basically everything in VP and Trak

Going through VP it comes down to is whether or not there are enough Bards to go around. If you're light on Bards than Necromancers are still very good in whatever leftovers group they get tossed in to but the melee classes actually need to be supported.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
You pretty much have to bribe bards to do a VP key though, there are very few drops worth it in there for them that aren’t All/All.

• 2Like

yerm

You pretty much have to bribe bards to do a VP key though, there are very few drops worth it in there for them that aren’t All/All.

Clerics get basically jack shit from classic raiding, even sky is bullshit, which means if you open something like wdc or bcg to the class the people who need it get wrecked.

Then comes kunark where tons of especially melee could largely give a fuck so I repeatedly saw massive underlying pussyshit drama in late kunark because either you shit on saved dkp on vel release and fuck your reliable raiders or you start the xpac with people who have hoarded for literal months getting gear way better than kunark for a fraction of the price.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
G Grisvok They died already bro, what a waste of a guild and friends. Let this be lesson to you guys in our crew who want to be happy friends with everyone in a zerg guild. Can't mix in sheep who barely win in EQ with wolves who consistently world first or perform at the top in every single game we play homie.

Origin Origin SKs get resisted by most of the mobs in VP, you for sure didnt top or run anything other than a couple of mobs in VP unless your monks + necros + rangers were asleep.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Next server needs to eliminate keys from Kunark to PoP and only do the raid flagging from PoP and on.

What I've wanted for a while now is a new game plus version of EverQuest. Go back and revamp Classic and Kunark with a full retooling of items and raids, jack up the difficulty, include Beastlords and Berzerkers, and let 'er rip. With some better itemization, some new raid mechanics (that you can just copy and paste from other shit found in the rest of the game's fifty expansions), and more class options at the start I think people would really be in to it.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Louis

Trakanon Raider
What I've wanted for a while now is a new game plus version of EverQuest. Go back and revamp Classic and Kunark with a full retooling of items and raids, jack up the difficulty, include Beastlords and Berzerkers, and let 'er rip. With some better itemization, some new raid mechanics (that you can just copy and paste from other shit found in the rest of the game's fifty expansions), and more class options at the start I think people would really be in to it.

Its not even like this would take much work either. It would definitely give people that have ran these servers more than once a reason to run it again. But alas, daybreak...

• 2Like

Zaide

TLP Idealist
They should just end live progression and use that funding to restart with Classic, creating an alternate timeline from there, retaining the spirit of Classic - PoP with an alternate story and modernized raid content while reusing old assets.

• 2Like

Origin

Molten Core Raider
I remember Silverwing was a bitch, PD had super high MR but you could get partials and some full damage - rarely, Xygoz and Druushk were decent MR but not immune iirc, and Nexona and Hoshkar would get torn through.

Either way, i dominated damage meters on most Kunark content - VP included. Had one legendary Nexona where our 3-4 tanks died and where i ended up tanking and doing like 50% more damage than second place ( @9:15).

Not doubting you bros on the necros, it just wasn't the case with us. Our meters in Kunark were always either monk or SK.

yerm

I stand by my idea of an incrementally leveling server. Start with everything through luclin but a level 50 cap for a couple months. Then, increase the level cap by 1 every couple weeks. Let people compete to try to clear the most difficult they can before eventually being at 60. Then do the same with pop-god; people can struggle to defeat it early. Also god mudflation is 95% req 65 so shouldnt break the pop tier.

That's my new tlp idea anyway. I know everyone and their mother has their own ideas.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Either way, i dominated damage meters on most Kunark content - VP included. Had one legendary Nexona where our 3-4 tanks died and where i ended up tanking and doing like 50% more damage than second place ( @9:15).

Not doubting you bros on the necros, it just wasn't the case with us. Our meters in Kunark were always either monk or SK.

If your goal is biggest numbers possible than charm just isn't the way to go. On a target like Silverwing the correct spell layout is seven dots + FD with VP staff clicks thrown in as well. If the fight is going too fast and you have to dump mana swap in Gangerous Touch towards the end of the fight. He's vulnerable to everything with directional AE so you just shove your entire spell book up his butt while clubbing him with your epic because why not fuck him.

Charm's best uses are when you are going in with small numbers or are below level 60. Being able to put out very good damage while simultaneously smoothing out Cleric mana is an entirely unique role. When you've got more people than you need wearing an obscene amount of gear and are just trying to parse it's time to leave the ghosties alone.

edit - I can't remember which at the moment but at least half of these dragons should have Insidious Decay on them and instead zero have it.

edit edit - Xygoz, Silverwing, PD I think are the disease vulnerable dragons, poison works on PD, Hoskhar, Druushk, Silverwing, magic works on everyone, fire works on everyone.

Xyg.png

No Insidious Decay, no disease dots memorized, no disease dots from anyone on the target. Cessation of Cor specifically lowers the target's armor class and strength making it a useful debuff to have up. It has a big +aggro mod so you gotta put in some care with it during Kunark our you'll get your donut punched.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
They should just end live progression and use that funding to restart with Classic, creating an alternate timeline from there, retaining the spirit of Classic - PoP with an alternate story and modernized raid content while reusing old assets.

This is what I wanted to do for the longest time on EQEmu (custom classic without any classic content), buuuut I'm getting to that age where I cannot dedicate time to running emu servers. Most of them are clone servers of a certain era now... That's not even the tip of the iceberg on what EQEmu's framework is capable of. There's so much more that can be done now.

Keystone

Lord Nagafen Raider
Meh, charming was still more dps. You just had to realize you couldn't go balls deep without flopping and recharming at like 75%. spell bar was basically ST/charm/feign/dots ... you load up a full set of dots while you have the charmed/hasted ghost beating on them then circlet of shadow / ST pet, flop and get up recharm and reapply dots before/as they are fading