Everquest - Selos Server - 20th Anniversary Casual Server

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
1-5: Your Noob Zone
5-25: Paludal Caverns
25-40: Grimling Forest
40-50: Fungus Grove
50-60: Akheva Ruins

This is pretty close to what I'm leaning towards, minus the Paludal. It's gonna be the Unrest of Luclin and just not worth the crowding and hassle I don't think.

I feel like a pure Luclin progression wins almost by default due to general mob density and lack of travel time? Plus most of the zones are ultra safe so if you do fuck up somehow you're back in action in ~5 minutes instead of 30.

• 1WTF
Reactions: 1 user

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
1-25 in The Warrens is a good alternative lower-popularity zone. With semi-meaningful gear to loot even. Cloth / Raw-Hide / Ringmail / Bronze equivalents, the Bronze equivalent being super fashionable black texture.

Mob density almost too high.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
I love the Warrens. It still has the 100% ZEM, too. I've been planning on going there. But it's a little rough without snare/root if you're just 1-3 manning it.

Stonebrunt has a lot of mobs, too, if you don't want to move too much.

Being on odus it might not be too populated.

• 1Like

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
My group had plans to do a full Odus path but we ended up changing. It seemed pretty viable and I wanted to see how it panned out speed wise for a full group. If anyone does it let me know.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Zaide

TLP Idealist
Dont plan to level in any zones mentioned here unless you want to compete with the 200 people who are reading your posts and going there too.

• 1Like

Vanessa

Uncle Tanya
<Banned>
My static is an AE group so, as the cle, I'm very much looking forward to the endless string of panic attacks for 60 levels.

Anyway, our leveling path is strictly Kunark. Might move to Luclin post lvl 55 tho.

Does Jaggedpine Forest become available in Luclin or in PoP? I remember liking that zone.
Know what I realize about Luclin and Jaggedpine?

It was the start of really bland zone designs that never got better at least until I quit in SoF. I don't even mean visually... just in terms of geometry and interesting and creative pathways/routes.

Compare Guk (upper and lower, doesn't matter), Karnors, Crypt of Dalnir, Velks, Sirens Grotto to later zones. It's like the first holy trinity expansions had zone design that the devs thought of/conceptualized in 3D space, while later expansions seem to just be conceptualized 2D maps fleshed out into 3D game space. Think about it!

Dont plan to level in any zones mentioned here unless you want to compete with the 200 people who are reading your posts and going there too.
i.e. Zaide is leveling in Neriak C, Nurga, and Tenebrous Mtns... obv.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
My group had plans to do a full Odus path but we ended up changing. It seemed pretty viable and I wanted to see how it panned out speed wise for a full group. If anyone does it let me know.

I know that the Paineel newbie area, Tox, Kerra (which is now just an island in Tox instead of its own zone), Warrens, and Stonebrunt are all good zones without much to go wrong in any of them. I've done Tox/Kerra on a TLP before (and oddly, Stonebrunt back on Sleeper like 13 years ago) and it was perfectly acceptable.

I'll always have a soft spot for the Warrens though. It's trash drops are real nice and each kobold molar is a chance at a piece of ringmail when turned in for the quest. As you get a bit deeper in there's some drops that aren't entirely garbage. It is packed full of dudes however.

Last edited:

yerm

Golden Baronet of the Realm

This is completely true.

Also in the reverse, expect to be super disappointed if you copy a bunch of people here without taking into account how your group works. Grimling forest for example: pulls tend to be a lot at once, named are mostly from the furry raid stuff or by AC entrance, it's kind of far from most other good places, and there's no zem bonus. Now if you have a sonic wolf charming, grimling harmonying, circle of grimling at 29ing druid? Fuck yeah mates. If you don't have a druid and/or do have a necro? Maybe not so hot; you might be better off leaving paludal the other direction and heading for a place like marus seru and that neighborhood.

I know that the Paineel newbie area, Tox, Kerra (which is now just an island in Tox instead of its own zone), Warrens, and Stonebrunt are all good zones without much to go wrong in any of them. I've done Tox/Kerra on a TLP before (and oddly, Stonebrunt back on Sleeper like 13 years ago) and it was perfectly acceptable.

I'll always have a soft spot for the Warrens though. It's trash drops are real nice and each kobold molar is a chance at a piece of ringmail when turned in for the quest. As you get a bit deeper in there's some drops that aren't entirely garbage. It is packed full of dudes however.

Warrens and kurns are as good as paludal and generally (outside bandits) better plat. Honestly warrens is a wildly underrated zone and I think people don't realize that if you are going to a spire to get to nexus, going back down over there is almost as close as going shadowhaven>paludal. Kurns I think people know it's that good but without the pok book you have to travel far as fuck (unless iksar) and then it tops out earlier than the others, leaving you having to again travel far as fuck to your next great spot. Dalnir and kaesora are just a bit too high to go immediately after and other dungeons are a hike.

• 2Like

Mrniceguy

Trakanon Raider
1-25 in The Warrens is a good alternative lower-popularity zone. With semi-meaningful gear to loot even. Cloth / Raw-Hide / Ringmail / Bronze equivalents, the Bronze equivalent being super fashionable black texture.

Mob density almost too high.

Ruined

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>

easy solution -- all we have to do is mention every zone!

DickTrickle

And, honestly, I don't think the Warrens would be off the radar just because anyone who knows what a ZEM would look them up and see Warrens is high. There was that supposed change a year or two back but to be honest I didn't see any ones significantly nerfed. Unrest, Kurns, and Warrens were still the same. It's about if they want to take the step to commit to Odus for a while or just go to something more well traveled.

The real sweet zone would probably be one with no ZEM or a small one but that has mobs you can kill so quickly you can double the amount of mobs killed per time spent. That would require deeper knowledge than reading a ZEM list.

Needless

Toe Sucker
Its pretty tight that paladins will start with instrument of nife, i might roll a paladin and just stick to undead zones. Switch it up from an enchanter every god damn time lol

Meech

Molten Core Raider
Its pretty tight that paladins will start with instrument of nife, i might roll a paladin and just stick to undead zones. Switch it up from an enchanter every god damn time lol

But then you have to watch someone else play enchanter ineffectively.. it's a tough choice.

• 1Solidarity

DickTrickle

What do people think about a Beastlord-Paladin-Druid three box? In this scenario, the BST would be what I'd raid with, though I'm not sure it matters too much.

I chose the beastlord because a) I wanted to play one and b) slowing and hasting would be useful when grouping. Druid I chose for extreme versatility -- potential future PLing, snaring, tracking competent healing, porting, and some DPS. The Paladin I'm picking for rezzes, lulls, and the ability to hold aggro and be tanky. If I tried to make my beastlord the tank, I think I'd waste too much mana healing the pet as it seems like it is easy for it to take aggro. And, in general with this group, it doesn't seem like it should be super effort intensive.

Is my DPS going to feel too low? Right now, that's the only concern I have. I was thinking with the Paladin's healing and tankiness, the druid could spend some time nuking or dotting. SK would be more DPS and maybe I wouldn't miss the rez too much (having succor would save some deaths, I imagine), but not having a good lull could really limit me in dungeons.

I've never mained any of these classes to a high level (usually was a bard or ranger), so I'm kind of going off reading information about them and perusing spell lists.

Last edited:
  • 2Like

Sterling

El Presidente
What do people think about a Beastlord-Paladin-Druid three box? In this scenario, the BST would be what I'd raid with, though I'm not sure it matters too much.

I chose the beastlord because a) I wanted to play one and b) slowing and hasting would be useful when grouping. Druid I chose for extreme versatility -- potential future PLing, snaring, tracking competent healing, porting, and some DPS. The Paladin I'm picking for rezzes and the ability to hold aggro and be tanky. If I tried to make my beastlord the tank, I think I'd waste too much mana healing the pet as it seems like it is easy for it to take aggro. And, in general with this group, it doesn't seem like it should be super effort intensive.

Is my DPS going to feel too low? Right now, that's the only concern I have. I was thinking with the Paladin's healing and tankiness, the druid could spend some time nuking or dotting. SK would be more DPS and maybe I wouldn't miss the rez too much (having succor would save some deaths, I imagine).

I've never mained any of these classes to a high level (usually was a bard or ranger), so I'm kind of going off reading information about them and perusing spell lists.
Trio is reasonable, but having a tank not being your main raiding character is a little sketchy if it's not going to end up actually geared.

• 1Solidarity

Foaming

Lord Nagafen Raider
I agree with Sterling. Depending on the guild you roll with you might be able to get enough extra gear to make an alt a viable tank, but with the accelerated unlocks there might not be much gear trickling down.

• 1Solidarity

DickTrickle

Trio is reasonable, but having a tank not being your main raiding character is a little sketchy if it's not going to end up actually geared.

Yeah, it seems a little odd, but I also am not sure how much I'm going to raid, either. I guess if my beastlord gets well geared and it's a struggle to keep aggro on the Paladin or my beastlord would make as good a tank as the paladin, then it does make the paladin kind of a waste there, just being shitty DPS. I guess that's something to consider. One thing I forgot to mention in my first post was the paladin lull. I feel like if I want to be good in a dungeon it would be nice to have a class that could lull or split. I could root control with the druid but that's not ideal when boxing, at least for me. If I switch to an SK, I could still break dungeons and my DPS would be improved and still have the tankiness if my beastlord doesn't get loaded. Maybe a monk if my beastlord gets well geared.

I guess I have to figure out how committed I want to be to the raid game!