Everquest - Selos Server - 20th Anniversary Casual Server

Sterling

El Presidente
Rezzing isn't a big deal. It kind of matters in places where only 1 char dies and its a pita to get them back vs clicking them back, arguably evac might be preferred to this. For xp you can just pay for some later or suck it up. I have literally not rezzed myself as a cleric because it was inconvenient to zero my mana vs just continuing to grind.

Cleric matters for complete heal. Mobs tend to have much higher hp totals and much lower mitigation than a pc. Trying to spot heal up a pet is awful. Ch is efficient. This is the real luster for a cleric box, as druids don't come close until I think god or oow giving incomplete heal.
Yeah for healing a charm pet it's hard to beat CH for sure.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
Im not sure about Druid heal power post LDON.. GoD is brutal in the spikes. Tipt alone requires the trinity at level 65.
pooka pooka!!!

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Yeah for healing a charm pet it's hard to beat CH for sure.

It's ghetto but one of the things you can do if you're charming something really spicy is break the charm, mez it, blur it and let it regen naturally for a minute or two rather than have the Druid or Shaman pour mana in to it.

Sterling

El Presidente
Im not sure about Druid heal power post LDON.. GoD is brutal in the spikes. Tipt alone requires the trinity at level 65.
pooka pooka!!!
It really doesn't, have done Tipt with many different combos of classes. TLP GoD is not Live launch GoD.

SorrowsEnd

Trakanon Raider
I've found with boxing on truebox servers I'd rather not deal with the enchanter and cleric roles in a group.

I'll play enchanter on main pc with mage and druid on laptops.

Ohnoh was talking about running a mage and cleric this time around. She can handle main healing.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Are Druids liked Luclin+? Always enjoyed the versatility of the class, but groups only seemed to want them as a last resort

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Why is hoarding DKP seen as a bad thing? I haven't raided in 15 years so I don't get it but I see a number of people that complain about it and various guilds that have rules about partially removing DKP after 30 days or having caps, etc.

If you want until the end of an expansion to get stuff cheap, that means you could a) miss out on items and b) a bunch of other people got geared. If someone has so much DKP that they could win any first bid each time, doesn't that mean they're a raider who's always there and thus valuable?

I'm sure I'm missing something obvious but I'd be curious to be enlightened.

Xevy

Log Wizard
It usually means they're not getting upgrades. So they're one expansion (at least) back in loot compared to everyone else who is actually progressively gearing. We had a fuckton of our warriors just wait for a Darkblade in PoP and because of that they got annihilated by Time bosses because they hadn't properly invested in tank gear. Once they got their blades and started getting items every boss was a breeze.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

krismunich

<Silver Donator>
Speaking of, were there any nice powerlevel items like fungi tunic etc. over the course of the last 10 expansions? How important is the merc gear if you truebox a whole team?

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
Why is hoarding DKP seen as a bad thing? I haven't raided in 15 years so I don't get it but I see a number of people that complain about it and various guilds that have rules about partially removing DKP after 30 days or having caps, etc.

If you want until the end of an expansion to get stuff cheap, that means you could a) miss out on items and b) a bunch of other people got geared. If someone has so much DKP that they could win any first bid each time, doesn't that mean they're a raider who's always there and thus valuable?

Hoarding DKP is like storing money under your mattress, for an emergency that will never come. Meanwhile your house is breaking down and the appliances are breaking, and your neighbor is coming in and fixing shit for you because you are to stingy to spend some of the money under the mattress, instead of making your own life better.

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 1 users

Vedette

<Donor>

This really depends on the class. I mained a bard, and hoarded in Luclin. The difference in bard gear between Luclin, and PoP is insane.

• 1Solidarity

Sterling

El Presidente

It's a philosophical thing and specifics matter. Like are you talking about hording to the point of basically skipping an entire expansion worth of gear? or are you talking about waiting a couple of clears for bids to come to a reasonable level. Or are you fighting a cold war over key items. All sort of different things. In the first case you're kind of being a shitbag by intentionally not improving your character in hopes of future rewards. 2nd case is pretty common and nobody likely would have much issue with it and the 3rd case happens when your class/archetype revolves heavily around certain specific things like weapons or key focuses/clicks or whatever. This is all a consequence of bidding type dkp. OG DKP would have set values on items and people would be in a tier based on their current dkp totals so this crap wouldn't happen and you wouldn't have the issues that you get with class imbalances create within the guild. But it's also way more bookkeeping and people will have their issues on why x item costs y dkp if there's no intinsic stat to base this on like ilevel in WoW.

• 1Solidarity

yerm

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Imagine you get done leveling to 60 and are ready to start raiding. You camped schw for haste and quested soee and then paid a dozen krono for the acrylia 1hs so you could really kick ass.

You pop a tov instance and it takes you the entire given timer because dps is so low but you win. Vulak is dead. Great news, he dropped your ranger 1hs! There are 2 other rangers and you all bid and unfortunately another dude wins it. He excitedly links his seafarers cutlass and says only 1 more of these to replace! You realize he is the dude who sold you the acrylia sword because he was just going to wait for a raid loot and not bother coming with ok gear. The 3rd ranger asks for that cutlass to replace his offhand velium long sword.

You just wasted 6 fucking hours with a bunch of shitter dps because they were waiting and not upgrading their gear until with filler items. This is what dkp hoarders truly are, too, just people don't always realize it's the same thing.

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
It usually means they're not getting upgrades. So they're one expansion (at least) back in loot compared to everyone else who is actually progressively gearing. We had a fuckton of our warriors just wait for a Darkblade in PoP and because of that they got annihilated by Time bosses because they hadn't properly invested in tank gear. Once they got their blades and started getting items every boss was a breeze.

Isn't that gear still going to someone, though? So even if you have a character who is poorly geared, the overall strength of the guild should stay the same.

Or is it to the point where a lot of gear rots even though it's a clear upgrade for people?

Sterling

El Presidente
Resetting DKP every 2 expansion is the best idea ever.
Use it or lose it.
most systems have a decay of some type for this reason. Total reset is real awkward. In some of the older fixed price systems you'd average out the guild's dkp to 0 every week or whatever so that roughly half the guild would be negative at all times.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
most systems have a decay of some type for this reason. Total reset is real awkward. In some of the older fixed price systems you'd average out the guild's dkp to 0 every week or whatever so that roughly half the guild would be negative at all times.

On agnrr, even with a 5% weekly decay you accumulate so much DKP, because we would raid a lot. A LOT.

Also there were a high variance of prices for for the same item. Which was another problem in itself. For example a low attendance afternoon raid for KT, will have his head going for CRAZY low 25 dkp, while an primetime raid will go for 75.

Sterling

El Presidente
On agnrr, even with a 5% weekly decay you accumulate so much DKP, because we would raid a lot. A LOT.

Also there were a high variance of prices for for the same item. Which was another problem in itself. For example a low attendance afternoon raid for KT, will have his head going for CRAZY low 25 dkp, while an primetime raid will go for 75.
Yeah there are numerous flaws to bid systems. we did 10 percent on phinny and 25 percent each expansion launch but you'd still end up with people with piles of dkp just due to being close to BiS and nothing to bid on for a month.