Everquest - Selos Server - 20th Anniversary Casual Server

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Other than farming spell parchments, ornate molds/patterns, and doing AA's are there any must do quest chains in PoP?

I know of Grimel but I am not going to tradeskill. I have 2 out of 3 of my characters flagged up to Time pretty much.

I need to figure out any other long term goals to do. In GoD there is the BiC that I will do on at least one character for sure.

Cupie12

Send Tits Pls
Other than farming spell parchments, ornate molds/patterns, and doing AA's are there any must do quest chains in PoP?

I know of Grimel but I am not going to tradeskill. I have 2 out of 3 of my characters flagged up to Time pretty much.

I need to figure out any other long term goals to do. In GoD there is the BiC that I will do on at least one character for sure.

not really. game is shit every expansion just nothing better out atm

• 1Seriously?
Reactions: 1 user

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>

If you have a healer class, the LoY cure spell quest is worth doing (Pure Blood for clr/dru, Blood of Nadox for shaman). ESPECIALLY for shamans. That's about it for PoP-era really. BiC is worth doing once, just make absolutely damn sure that you get an Inktu'ta raid shard ASAP. Once everybody decides to do the quest, that ends up being the bottleneck every time. There's also a haste belt quest in GoD that requires a massive amount of Vxed farming, but since that zone is one of the best spots for exp, it isn't a waste of time. The haste belt casts a 50% haste (Alacrity level iirc but I could be wrong) and is still a melee must through at least SoD.

Not doing BiC again but I'm probably doing the haste belt. SK melee so slow

Last edited:

Sieger

Trakanon Raider
@a_skeleton_03 the group/quest stuff that are somewhat interesting for some of the future expansions:

Kunark
-Epic 1.0
-Chardok Regal Band / SWC Quest chain

Velious
-Dain Ring Chain
-Coldain Prayer Shawl

Luclin
-Sigil Earring (although killing Seru is a raid thing, most of the quest is solo/group affair)

PoP
-Aid Grimel
-Binden Concerrentia (kind of a niche use but can be nice to have, uses up less bag space than gate potions)

LDoN
-Max out Adventurer's Stone - Both requires and causes autism

GoD
-Breakdown in Communication -- very annoying to get done once your guild moves out of GoD

OoW
-Epic 1.5/2.0 - while require raiding for a lot of them, most have significant solo/group portions
-The 6 MPG Group Trials aren't part of progression but raise your resist cap by 30 points forever

DoN
-Most guilds will funnel all progression through a "push group" so you can finish the expansion in day 1, but if your char isn't one of the 5ish people in that group you won't have your personal faction completed or have the AAs. Completing the full Dark Reign or Norrath's Keeper progression gives you 5 special AAs that are nice to have forever.

DoDH
-"The Depths of Darkhollow" quest chain, involves completing a series of group missions in every zone of the expansion, reward is an evolving mask item, that gives you a permanent item AA that buffs resists by 50 points. Each of the 5 branches of the chain give you a school-specific resist clicky as well (nice for loading up on clicky junk buff items.)
-Slipgear Charm Aug - Not an amazing aug, but you get it for completing exploration tasks in DoDH, and depending on how lazy you've been in prior expansions you may not have any charm slot augments at all so it's useful for that, good for boxes too.
-Totem of the Wurines - Not a quest but a rare drop from farmable group missions, Divine Barrier clicky that gives any class a DB cast on a long cooldown
-Feral Guardian Channeler - Another Divine Barrier clicky, also farmed from a group mission
-Earring of Dimunitiveness - 0.3s cast shrink item, useful forever
-Mask of Vanishing - Clickable invis item ALL/ALL, farmed from group missions

PoR
-Tradeskill trophies should go in w/PoR if that's your thing

TSS
-TSS Charm of Lore - crazy long quest that gives you a charm that gets upgraded with progression, requires completing almost all the solo/group/raid tasks of TSS to max out the charm
-Familiars for non-Wizards, unlocked via quests (Direwolf Totem of Spirit / Direwolf Totem of Battle)

TBS
-Spectre Illusion Mask - available as part of a long quest out of "Jewel of Atiiki" which is a zone off of Katta Castrum, involves an infamous in-game puzzle near the end
-Jonas Dagmire's Skeletal Hand - A very long series of tasks to complete this group-tier hands slot aug, it's never been really worth the time/effort for raiders; but it's a sort of "EQ Completionists" check list thing because it takes a long time to grind out and most people will never do it.

SoF
-Blessed Celestine Faycite - HP/heroic aug, 10ish quests, solo/group.
-Cursed Obsidian Faycite - AC/heroic aug, same as previous, except a bit better on stats.
-Orc Illusion Mask - 25ish solo quests, most of them on the easier side.
-Ancient Faycite Bone Circum - Clicky rune that can be used every 45 min or so and is surprisingly useful due to all of the buffs it provides (resists, mana, HP, etc). On tanks it'll get knocked off quickly, but it also absorbs 3000 damage in the process so why not? It's a long quest but it's pretty much a viable buff forever afaik. The quest involves a ton of group missions and two 12-person raids (that flag everyone for it).

SoD
-Timeshear - Long convoluted quest chain that results in a 20hr reuse clicky that will restore most/all of your HP/Mana/Endurance whenever it's clicked.
-Bayle's Heraldic Crest (Part of overarching Timeshear quest) - There are a bunch of quest chains in SoD that give good-to-mediocre rewards on the way to getting the big reward (Timeshear, which isn't useful TBH). This AC aug is probably the best single reward aug, esp for tanks (takes the longest to get outdated, important here), is debatably the quickest to obtain of all of them, and is a super-solid shield aug for the era. Worth doing this.

Underfoot
-Coldain Shawl 2.0 - This extremely long chain (continues on from the earlier shawl) involves a ton of individual and raid work to complete. The biggest payoff of all is if you complete Shawl 2.0, several expansions later you can turn the shawl into an augmentation that is actually still used at max level on live servers.

VoA
-I believe this is when the "Hero's Journey" goes active. It's a weird thing they came up with to provide players a highly "guided" experience to go level 1-85. The thought was if you followed the instructions in the Hero's Journey Tome, you'd end up at level 85, with okay gear and etc. It starts at level 1 in TSS starting area (Crescent Reach) and finishes by finishing all the group progression in Seeds of Destruction (level 85.) It's arguably one of the longest achievements/endeavors out there in any MMO. Rewards are nothing special.

RoF (Post-VoA)
-"Epic 3.0" - Haven't done much with RoF but I know that if you do the mission chains in every zone (around 30 missions total, similar to "Depths of Darkhollow"), you get a class-specific weapon with a particle effect that's better than any other weapon you can get up to that point. The cool thing is that it's nearly all group content, with only the last part being a raid drop (and not a particularly uncommon one either).

If you're a true completionist and want to do the Artisan's Prize very near the end of Selo (Broken Mirror expansion), it's worthwhile to do Aid Grimel now since that's part of completing the prize. I've never done the AP because it requires really high level tradeskilling at near-max level on live, and I'm not about that life, but a lot of people like to do it:

The Artisan's Prize

Last edited:
  • 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
@a_skeleton_03 the group/quest stuff that are somewhat interesting for some of the future expansions:

Kunark
-Epic 1.0
-Chardok Regal Band / SWC Quest chain

Velious
-Dain Ring Chain
-Coldain Prayer Shawl

Luclin
-Sigil Earring (although killing Seru is a raid thing, most of the quest is solo/group affair)

PoP
-Aid Grimel
-Binden Concerrentia (kind of a niche use but can be nice to have, uses up less bag space than gate potions)

LDoN
-Max out Adventurer's Stone - Both requires and causes autism

GoD
-Breakdown in Communication -- very annoying to get done once your guild moves out of GoD

OoW
-Epic 1.5/2.0 - while require raiding for a lot of them, most have significant solo/group portions
-The 6 MPG Group Trials aren't part of progression but raise your resist cap by 30 points forever

DoN
-Most guilds will funnel all progression through a "push group" so you can finish the expansion in day 1, but if your char isn't one of the 5ish people in that group you won't have your personal faction completed or have the AAs. Completing the full Dark Reign or Norrath's Keeper progression gives you 5 special AAs that are nice to have forever.

DoDH
-"The Depths of Darkhollow" quest chain, involves completing a series of group missions in every zone of the expansion, reward is an evolving mask item, that gives you a permanent item AA that buffs resists by 50 points. Each of the 5 branches of the chain give you a school-specific resist clicky as well (nice for loading up on clicky junk buff items.)
-Slipgear Charm Aug - Not an amazing aug, but you get it for completing exploration tasks in DoDH, and depending on how lazy you've been in prior expansions you may not have any charm slot augments at all so it's useful for that, good for boxes too.
-Totem of the Wurines - Not a quest but a rare drop from farmable group missions, Divine Barrier clicky that gives any class a DB cast on a long cooldown
-Feral Guardian Channeler - Another Divine Barrier clicky, also farmed from a group mission
-Earring of Dimunitiveness - 0.3s cast shrink item, useful forever
-Mask of Vanishing - Clickable invis item ALL/ALL, farmed from group missions

PoR
-Tradeskill trophies should go in w/PoR if that's your thing

TSS
-TSS Charm of Lore - crazy long quest that gives you a charm that gets upgraded with progression, requires completing almost all the solo/group/raid tasks of TSS to max out the charm
-Familiars for non-Wizards, unlocked via quests (Direwolf Totem of Spirit / Direwolf Totem of Battle)

TBS
-Spectre Illusion Mask - available as part of a long quest out of "Jewel of Atiiki" which is a zone off of Katta Castrum, involves an infamous in-game puzzle near the end
-Jonas Dagmire's Skeletal Hand - A very long series of tasks to complete this group-tier hands slot aug, it's never been really worth the time/effort for raiders; but it's a sort of "EQ Completionists" check list thing because it takes a long time to grind out and most people will never do it.

SoD
-Timeshear - Long convoluted quest chain that results in a 20hr reuse clicky that will restore most/all of your HP/Mana/Endurance whenever it's clicked.

Underfoot
-Coldain Shawl 2.0 - This extremely long chain (continues on from the earlier shawl) involves a ton of individual and raid work to complete. The biggest payoff of all is if you complete Shawl 2.0, several expansions later you can turn the shawl into an augmentation that is actually still used at max level on live servers.

VoA
-I believe this is when the "Hero's Journey" goes active. It's a weird thing they came up with to provide players a highly "guided" experience to go level 1-85. The thought was if you followed the instructions in the Hero's Journey Tome, you'd end up at level 85, with okay gear and etc. It starts at level 1 in TSS starting area (Crescent Reach) and finishes by finishing all the group progression in Seeds of Destruction (level 85.) It's arguably one of the longest achievements/endeavors out there in any MMO. Rewards are nothing special.

If you're a true completionist and want to do the Artisan's Prize very near the end of Selo (Broken Mirror expansion), it's worthwhile to do Aid Grimel now since that's part of completing the prize. I've never done the AP because it requires really high level tradeskilling at near-max level on live, and I'm not about that life, but a lot of people like to do it:

The Artisan's Prize

Damn, quality post. Bookmarking it.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>

Great list here. I want to note that most of those DoD drops (DB, shrink, etc) are -extremely rare- to the extent that I never got any of them (or even saw them drop) on Phinny. Also the "Depths of Darkhollow" resist quest, no joke, took me more man-hours than the BiC. Some of those DoDH missions are absolutely brutal, not because the mission itself is, but because the instance zone-ins are in out-of-the-way, dangerous spots that you often have to shepherd other people to which ends up taking longer than the actual mission. Should still do all of it, just be prepared for the DoDH parts being a large time-commitment.

Adding SoF to your list, feel free to add this to your post:

SoF
-Blessed Celestine Faycite - HP/heroic aug, 10ish quests, solo/group.
-Cursed Obsidian Faycite - AC/heroic aug, same as previous, except a bit better on stats.
-Orc Illusion Mask - 25ish solo quests, most of them on the easier side.
-Ancient Faycite Bone Circum - Clicky rune that can be used every 45 min or so and is surprisingly useful due to all of the buffs it provides (resists, mana, HP, etc). On tanks it'll get knocked off quickly, but it also absorbs 3000 damage in the process so why not? It's a long quest but it's pretty much a viable buff forever afaik. The quest involves a ton of group missions and two 12-person raids (that flag everyone for it).

SoD
-Bayle's Heraldic Crest (Part of overarching Timeshear quest) - There are a bunch of quest chains in SoD that give good-to-mediocre rewards on the way to getting the big reward (Timeshear, which isn't useful TBH). This AC aug is probably the best single reward aug, esp for tanks (takes the longest to get outdated, important here), is debatably the quickest to obtain of all of them, and is a super-solid shield aug for the era. Worth doing this.

RoF (Post-VoA)
-"Epic 3.0" - Haven't done much with RoF but I know that if you do the mission chains in every zone (around 30 missions total, similar to "Depths of Darkhollow"), you get a class-specific weapon with a particle effect that's better than any other weapon you can get up to that point. The cool thing is that it's nearly all group content, with only the last part being a raid drop (and not a particularly uncommon one either).

Last edited:

Evernothing

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
DoDH
- "Epic 2.5" - An Epic Augment quest adds an invisible, non-removable augment to your Epic 2.0

yerm

Golden Baronet of the Realm
GOD you can collect tongues for an eventual nice reward, although the last two require raid drops. Quest is called discord skin samples.

TSS has shield of the otherworld, which is kinda simple named killing in a few zones for a decent aug. IMO a nice chase item if you like a long task to work but hate complication (questing or tradeskilling).

A lot of expansions will have aug farm spots that you may wanna look up in advance so you can have some chill places in mind for killing time. For example, farming for 50 50 50 augs rarely in kt+ zones (60 with qvic), or 25ac 25hp augs in dodh, stuff that doesn't take a chase quest but can soak up a lot of time while feeling productive.

xmod2

<Gold Donor>
Where can I get a quick rundown of the changes since GoD? I rolled a bard and swarm kiting is nerfed and I can hold an instrument with a sword for some reason.

Also, is there a guild I can get a tag in so I have someplace to talk shit and leveling up for raids?

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Yeah PoP just has very little except AA, spells, and a class swarm pet item.

Honestly, PoP is overrated. Both GoD and Luclin are far deeper and superior expansions, and for some reason they always seem to get sold short next to PoP. The only thing PoP has going for it are some cool bosses and a fun initial progression through them. Once that part's over, there just isn't much to it.

Sterling

El Presidente
It's the worst expansion. People just don't like to admit it.
I think it's better than Kunark, worse than everythiing else up until maybe PoR. Don't really count LDoN or DoN as expansions, more like content patches!

• 1Picard
Reactions: 1 user

Evernothing

Where can I get a quick rundown of the changes since GoD? I rolled a bard and swarm kiting is nerfed and I can hold an instrument with a sword for some reason.

Also, is there a guild I can get a tag in so I have someplace to talk shit and leveling up for raids?

Swarm kiting is fine. You can do it as soon as you get your first charm @ 27.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Swarm kiting is fine. You can do it as soon as you get your first charm @ 27.

The problem is some people define swarm kiting as charm kiting and some people define it as AE kiting, so there's always terminology issues (probably because other classes called their AE kiting swarm kiting). When I played back in the day, swarm kiting was always charm kiting. I think this guy is referring to AE kiting.

Evernothing

Right.

xmod2 xmod2 If you want me to give you tips on how to swarm kite (using charm) shoot me a PM on here or if you see me online in-game. Name is the same.

xmod2

<Gold Donor>
Yeah, I meant AE kiting in tiny circles with pbae songs. I noticed the mobs stopped taking damage from my dots when they're moving.

I am guessing charm kiting stays the same as back in the day. Charm a mob, send him into the pack to die, invis to break charm and chant him down?

Evernothing

Correct. Except you only need to do 1 damage or hit a mob with a detrimental spell to get full xp now.

So you can charm a new target and have it beat down the ex-pet that is low. I usually still hit it with 1 dot before it dies. Makes it much faster than straight chanting them from 10% or whatever.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Sieger

Trakanon Raider
I've always said Luclin is a sleeper candidate for the best expansion of the "core" old school content (which I peg as Classic thru PoP, i.e. the era before people started quitting for WoW beta), even technically unfinished Luclin added far more to the game than any other expansion in its timeline, maybe more than any expansion SOE ever did.

On Selo Luclin was somewhat annoying though, as much as I love Luclin normally. Mainly because a Luclin launch and 6 weeks til PoP creates a big crunch effect. You need to level 1-60. Then you may need to get your Epic 1.0 (if you're a Cleric may = must.) Then you should grind out at least some amount of AA. You need some level of gear. You need Emp Ssra keys, you need VT keys etc. None of these things feel bad on their own, having to do them all at once actually was pretty rough.

Having done a good bit of TLPing the last 5 years my personal "least favorite" expansion is Kunark by a pretty wide margin. Velious might be #2, but it's a weird one--in my heart I love Velious and it's the core era of my EQ nostalgia, but the mechanics of farming NToV w/MOTM bosses is tedious and boring. PoP doesn't bother me I think it just rapidly gets stale. PoP has a lot of content in theory, but if you're raiding a lot very quickly the only content you'll do is EPs/Time.

I found PoR and DoN to be really awful expansions on other TLPs.

yerm

Golden Baronet of the Realm
The selo crunch would have been fine with either an even faster setup or extra time before the roll into pop. Spending less time in the 60 era than we do in the pop+ldon phase isn't ideal. Some friends I know are actually feeling done with non-raid pop already and starting to go back for stuff they missed.