Everquest - Selos Server - 20th Anniversary Casual Server

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I've always said Luclin is a sleeper candidate for the best expansion of the "core" old school content (which I peg as Classic thru PoP, i.e. the era before people started quitting for WoW beta), even technically unfinished Luclin added far more to the game than any other expansion in its timeline, maybe more than any expansion SOE ever did.

This is true, the only expansion to add more than Luclin in terms of content for all levels since is TSS, aka the "let's make an effort to win people back from WoW" expansion.

I agree that PoR and DoN are probably the weakest TLP expansions post-WoW, though I also found TBS to be surprisingly weak on Phinny. OGC/AOS cleared it on night 1, CoC/EoE cleared it on night 2 (more or less), and after that it was just another DoN-like currency farm expansion with one raid zone. On the bright side, it's the last expansion like that. Everything from SoF (level 75-80) through RoF (95-100) is super-solid. After that, IDK.

For me the game can really be split into four eras:
Classic/Pre-WoW (Classic to LDON)
Middle Era (GoD to TBS)
Explosion of Level Increases Era (SoF to RoF)
Post-100 We're Dragging This Out Era (CotF onward)

The third era is the best one IMO, followed by the second, then the first. And that's with a ton of nostalgia for the first. Haven't played the fourth. The third era has the best expansions, but the second era deserves credit because its expansions don't immediately obsolete each other like the later ones. Staying in the 65-75 range for all of the Middle Era means you have a lot more to do than just "the latest expansion" at any given time. On live we were still farming the endgame of GoD during DoD (3 expansions later).

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

SorrowsEnd

Trakanon Raider
Some friends I know are actually feeling done with non-raid pop already and starting to go back for stuff they missed.

We are almost 2 weeks into PoP and im kind of already over it. I'm glad Selos is the quick unlocks but hell I wish ldon didn't add another month to PoP before we get something new to raid.

Xevy

Log Wizard
We are almost 2 weeks into PoP and im kind of already over it. I'm glad Selos is the quick unlocks but hell I wish ldon didn't add another month to PoP before we get something new to raid.
You would've loved the 6 months+ of Time on Agnarr.

yerm

Golden Baronet of the Realm
And lots of people went out of it after experiencing the reality of it.

• 1Worf

SorrowsEnd

Trakanon Raider
I was finished on agnarr after 6 clearings of time.

I felt I had completed my character and retired feeling satisfied

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
If they were to do an Agnarr 2.0, what expansion would be most interesting for the server to perma-lock at? I personally wouldn't play on another server like that. I think a lot of people would though. For me, there are 2 interesting choices for a lock:

-OoW lock (Mata Muram server), maybe with DoN added too
-SoF lock (Kerafyrm server)

Was mulling over a TSS or TBS lock as well. Both might work since they'd leave a lot of level 70/75 content in the endgame, while an SoF lock would pretty much just leave SoF as the endgame. However, as the final battle with the baddest dragon, SoF just seems like a really solid endpoint.

SorrowsEnd

Trakanon Raider
I don't really see a point in another TLP after Selos.

Hopefully we make it to Live, play that until its stale. Quit happy.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
If they were to do an Agnarr 2.0, what expansion would be most interesting for the server to perma-lock at?

PoP again, but this time don't make it a total pussy server with character power bloat, neutered mobs, and free loot (instances) for everyone.

• 1Salty
  • 1Dislike
Reactions: 1 users

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
I don't understand all the hate for Kunark. Other than a lot of its dungeons being completely out of the fucking way, I felt like it was one of the most comprehensive expansions ever released.

• 1Like

Xevy

Log Wizard
I don't understand all the hate for Kunark. Other than a lot of its dungeons being completely out of the fucking way, I felt like it was one of the most comprehensive expansions ever released.
Raid loot just isn't there. Group content is great, but there's basically no point to raiding anything. VP has 4 drops worth the time and outside legs/BP all the rest of raid loot is dupes from classic or just garbage.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>

Kunark has a great world (it feels like a legit continent), great dungeons, and just a really nice expansion for its time. However it's pretty much content-less compared to most other expansions. It's a big sandbox with nothing going on. Aside from camping top-tier items in Sebilis or HS, there isn't much to do. Almost no quests besides epic 1.0s and the VP key that nobody likes farming. It's a big grindy place that worked great in 2000 but doesn't have much to it in the modern era. Compare it to later expansions where almost every zone will get a quest chain or progression built-in or other reasons to play in it extensively. What reason is there to spend any time in Emerald Jungle or SONH?

alavaz

Trakanon Raider

The continent of Kunark was fine, but the 50-60 grind was unbearable in 2000. You had like 1 of 3 places you could go that gave worthwhile experience and there were no picks or anything. This sums it up The Kunark Problem

Elderan

Blackwing Lair Raider
The continent of Kunark was fine, but the 50-60 grind was unbearable in 2000. You had like 1 of 3 places you could go that gave worthwhile experience and there were no picks or anything. This sums it up The Kunark Problem

Dwarf guards...

The 6 guards right in front with a 6 min re spawn time. They were great until I got them nerfed.

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
Dwarf guards...

The 6 guards right in front with a 6 min re spawn time. They were great until I got them nerfed.

Or were they super buffed? Friend and I would farm the guards inside on our little Iksars. After 2 hours of farming, we left. Guide then popped up and yelled at us for killing them on the roof, claiming we abused pathing. Bitch they teleported onto us within 2 seconds, there was no roof advantage, it was just fun as hell and confused the dorf newbies. There were a lot of good guides, but a lot of idiots too.

Elderan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Or were they super buffed? Friend and I would farm the guards inside on our little Iksars. After 2 hours of farming, we left. Guide then popped up and yelled at us for killing them on the roof, claiming we abused pathing. Bitch they teleported onto us within 2 seconds, there was no roof advantage, it was just fun as hell and confused the dorf newbies. There were a lot of good guides, but a lot of idiots too.

I think the teleport to you when they cant path was put in later.

I did guards outside north freeport from 51-53. I got to 53 before anyone else got to 52 this way but it still took me around 24 hours if I remember. I had a GM come demanding to know how I did it with threats of deleveling me. I explained and after a few hours of sleep when I logged back in those guards had like 32k hit points. So I moved onto other things until level 58 when I went and did dwarf guards. As soon as I hit 60 and posted about being the first 60 a day later those guards HPs were buffed by a ton as well.

I wasn't exploiting or anything. I was just pulling and fighting the guards legit with my box crew. I think I was one of the very few people boxing at the time.

• 2Like
  • 1Seriously?
Reactions: 2 users

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
Raid loot just isn't there. Group content is great, but there's basically no point to raiding anything. VP has 4 drops worth the time and outside legs/BP all the rest of raid loot is dupes from classic or just garbage.

huh? VP is full of loot with useful clickies and procs.

Classic is great, Kunark is great, Velious great, luclin leaves something to be desired in both group and raid content, and PoP is great for raids only.

• 1Picard

yerm

Golden Baronet of the Realm
huh? VP is full of loot with useful clickies and procs.

Classic is great, Kunark is great, Velious great, luclin leaves something to be desired in both group and raid content, and PoP is great for raids only.

Do you actually play in these expansions? Luclin added a ton of content, some interesting quests and better tradeskills included. Pop raids become stale very fast, as gear inflation invalidates not only prior expacs but even 2/3 of pop itself almost immediately, leaving only a couple raids worth even doing.

In contrast, tell me what a cleric has to look forward to from classic raiding? You want/need a ton of them, meanwhile they have nothing to gain from the awful raids. One common and early dropped shoulder item from sky? Or maybe you absolutely dick the dps and let them grab wdc or even bcgs? Some racial inno drop, maybe? Classic was a great sandbox in 1999. It, and for raiding kunark, are too shallow on a modern tlp where servers don't have only a few dozen max levels for the bulk of the time.

Evernothing

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
You forgot elite cleric drops like this one!

• 1Barf