Everquest - Selos Server - 20th Anniversary Casual Server

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Sieger Sieger and V Vise how many Hopebringers do you have?

It’s literally the only drop we have zero of and has become quite a meme.

I was told we would be destroying 2 a week and might not see a TA ever. I think every main shaman has a TA right now though.

Sieger

Trakanon Raider
6 Hopebringer, 10 TAs, we've had both go to recruits.

EQ RNG lottery is pretty hilarious. The Agnarr guild had like a 3+ month drought on TAs and a similar drought on DBoW. We've been weirdly lucky with almost all of the really prized Time items.

The first Hopebringer that dropped we only had 1 Paladin online and he was AFK driving to pick up his girlfriend irl, I DMed him on Discord like "you have 29 minutes to get home." :D

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
6 Hopebringer, 10 TAs, we've had both go to recruits.

EQ RNG lottery is pretty hilarious. The Agnarr guild had like a 3+ month drought on TAs and a similar drought on DBoW. We've been weirdly lucky with almost all of the really prized Time items.

The first Hopebringer that dropped we only had 1 Paladin online and he was AFK driving to pick up his girlfriend irl, I DMed him on Discord like "you have 29 minutes to get home." :D
That shit is hilarious.

Just a lottery every time.

yerm

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I don't understand a lot of EQers.
Typical EQer chat:

"Man, EQ is such a boring game, not sure why I play it. All the fights are boring tank and spanks. My favorite raids are NToV and Vox/Naggy."

Fast forward to LDoN where raids start to have minimal reactive gameplay mechanics:

"Man this content is trash, not nearly as fun as PoFire or Water."

🤔

My experience is its a mix. Some people hate ldon because they have this thing for repeatedly doing the familiar now and this has left their experience / comfort zone. Once they get used to it they like it. This will happen again with god unless they quit, they will bitch at first and then love it by week 3.

The others are the people playing eq for its throwback to the golden era of time=money logic in mmos, where skill takes a back seat. I see bards and even monks who can't pull, knights who can't tank, etc. People who can't run through sg or leash through poair without dying. And, you know what? Part of me does feel kinda bad for these guys. They just want a social grind, not exploding noqs if they dont assist correctly, or finishing every simon says trial as a corpse, or a peanut gallery screaming bloody murder because this hatchet asshole needs more done than facerolling buttons. They aren't good and don't wanna put the effort in needed to be, and eq is now starting to leave then behind. They won't admit it, but they don't want eq ro be anything other than super easy.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
I really don't remember ldon other than the camps that sprang up everywhere. Was it after Ykesha? Hmm I guess all I remember about Ykesha was a weapon that looked like a broken beer bottle.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
I really don't remember ldon other than the camps that sprang up everywhere. Was it after Ykesha? Hmm I guess all I remember about Ykesha was a weapon that looked like a broken beer bottle.
yeah was a few months after Ykesha

Bobbybick

Trakanon Raider
LDoN is fine as a 1 month distraction but if they removed half the trash mobs from all the raids that would be just swell. Drop tables on even the few good LDoNs can really fuck you over and end up giving you nothing but garbage that nobody wants. At least the "bad" PoTime drops will be scooped up for the first couple months of every guild clearing through, LDoN has an unreal amount of Day1 Rot loot. Thankfully Selo's unlock schedule is fast enough that this content will be in the rearview mirror pretty soon, doing this for 3 months on Phinigel was a torture I never want to experience again.

Not that it really matters since I think I've quit this server anyway.

Sieger

Trakanon Raider
Yeah, the fact that some loot sets even out of the absolute best loot-giving LDoN raids can still give you 6 drops that mostly no one wants does suck pretty bad.

Grisvok

Molten Core Raider
Typical EQer chat:

"Man, EQ is such a boring game, not sure why I play it. All the fights are boring tank and spanks. My favorite raids are NToV and Vox/Naggy."

Fast forward to LDoN where raids start to have minimal reactive gameplay mechanics:

🤔

I think the frustration comes from dbg basically ignoring many of the hardcore players requests. Selos is an example. It should have been 6 week unlocks with pop/ldon bundled. Instead they basically forced us to have 9 weeks of pop with ldon in the middle and only 4 weeks of god.

Similar complaints with the rule sets never being changed save for unlocks. FV server has been requested forever, a serve with some amount of same comp boxing allowed has been asked for forever.

So people say screw it, this is my best option, then they hit the 2-3 month mark and realize it sucks to go through this content again at this pace. The complaints will die down a lot next month and the following, then pick back up again when 4 weeks is to fast for progression.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Elderan

Blackwing Lair Raider
I wasnt sure how selo would play out but I agree. Seems like 6 weeks with half time unlocks and this exp rate is about the sweet spot.

• 1Like

lost

<Bronze Donator>
i mean u saw their piss poor introduction of the two servers and how everyone immediately said wtf and they changed it right away. clearly they dont know their customer base.

Cukernaut

Sharpie Markers Aren't Pens
<Gold Donor>
Typical EQer chat:

🤔

Just wait until @lord lightning rule implements raids on the forums along with an exp system Everquest gonna be fucked.

Hope all is well with you bro

• 1Mother of God

Sieger

Trakanon Raider
Things going well cuk.

So my expectation for Selo:
GoD - Tons will love, probably have some people logging back on chars they've not played in awhile
OoW - Same deal, Omens is pretty fun on TLPs, also the attraction of Epic 2.0s
DoN - Well, like 2/3rds of the way through Omens WoW Classic launches, + DoN is a universally disliked expansion (I kinda like Vish, rest of the expansion isn't super fun), probably see serious decline in player base
DoDH - I personally like DoDH but we had massive attrition on Lockjaw w/this expansion. DemiPlane is at least a proper / full raid zone to keep people occupied, hard to say if it'll bring anyone back from WoW
PoR - Also not known as a very liked expansion, the group progression is tedious/annoying. Death Knell is a 4 encounter raid and aside from Vertigo they're all pretty trivial and boring.
TSS - Should breathe some life back into it? Guess we'll see.

So far at least Selo feels perfectly fine, I feel like I've had a lot more people join up from Mangler who didn't like it than I've seen leave my guild headed to Mangler, so I think some of the content on Mangler like Kunark after week 2 or so could get some bodies onto the server.

Selo is basically an experiment that will answer the question: Do people mass exodus the mid-era expansions because they suck, or is it because most of the time people are just burned out of TLP since it usually takes 2+ years to get to these expansions on a regular TLP. As someone who has done a lot of the mid era expansions, i mostly enjoy them, although it's all kinda relative to expectations. These aren't WoW or etc type expansions that make EQ drastically modernized, there's a vision they start promoting that and stick with for like 10+ expansions that you either are cool with or you can't stand.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Flaw

Molten Core Raider
From a business perspective, and also a TLP lovers perspective....I think DBG can learn from 10% of the posts here and milk quite a bit more revenue, at least when the hardcore, of most hardcore, are finally burnt out on the server rules created to date. Would like to see how this recent selos/mangler data they've gained plays out in my lifetime

Last edited:

your_mum

Trakanon Raider
having a great time on selos, the unlock speed seems great. the person who said 6 weeks and pop/ldon bundled has it right tho.

speaking of ldon... that shit should be prescribed for sleep disorder. NOTHING puts me to bed faster

• 1Like

krysanth

Golden Knight of the Realm
My experience is its a mix. Some people hate ldon because they have this thing for repeatedly doing the familiar now and this has left their experience / comfort zone. Once they get used to it they like it. This will happen again with god unless they quit, they will bitch at first and then love it by week 3.

The others are the people playing eq for its throwback to the golden era of time=money logic in mmos, where skill takes a back seat. I see bards and even monks who can't pull, knights who can't tank, etc. People who can't run through sg or leash through poair without dying. And, you know what? Part of me does feel kinda bad for these guys. They just want a social grind, not exploding noqs if they dont assist correctly, or finishing every simon says trial as a corpse, or a peanut gallery screaming bloody murder because this hatchet asshole needs more done than facerolling buttons. They aren't good and don't wanna put the effort in needed to be, and eq is now starting to leave then behind. They won't admit it, but they don't want eq ro be anything other than super easy.
fucker i never got through poair alive

Cinge

Vyemm Raider
Someone save me, fucking Lumi(e) has been playing in my guild since launch and explaisn so much of his character's behavior.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 1 users