Everspace (Space shooter)

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Saw this on Steam Greenlight, it looks pretty good.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

radditsu

Silver Knight of the Realm
Saw this on Steam Greenlight, it looks pretty good.

Outside of the horrible, horrible voice acting the Galaxy on Fire series was pretty good. This looks much beefier in the combat /aesthetics of the game. The only reason I wouldn't give it a try is due to the absolute glut of procedural generated space games that have came out in the last few years.

Hekotat

I agree that there are tons coming out, but this one HOPEFULLY is more action based and less "fly around empty space for 2 hours and finally find something to kill".

Nester

Vyemm Raider
That looks pretty cool and I thnk I will get in on the kickstarter.

They call it rogue like, maybe I dontknow what that means anymore but does not look very rogue like to me...are ppl now calling randomly generated content rogue like? I thought it also had to be turn based as well?

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
well, rogue legacy is a rogue like... and that's not turn based. it's really odd to call a space sim/shooter a rogue like so that definitely raises an eyebrow.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Rogue like at this point just means when you die you start over from scratch, as far as I can tell. Procedural generated content, and if you die, you go back to the start.

Hekotat

I've been eyeballing this one on the Steam Sale but still scared to buy it. Give me a break down Mist.

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
I want to buy it too, but lack of content/early access keep me from going there yet. Faster than Light in ship mode seems just like my style, and that's what a lot of the reviews bill it as. I'm pretty sure if I watch the trailers too often I won't be able to resist.

Edit: Fuck it, I'll get back to you. I'm going to play this thing with my steam controller, I'll let you know.

Last edited:

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
lol just went to see what this was about and find: "one friend already owns this game: Reth"

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
The similarities to FTL include, Sector/Zone navigation. I've made it only to sector 3, no idea how many until "the boss". There are currently 3 ships, I have only flown the interceptor, they added a scout and gunship. Weapon, Item, Resource drops are random and the areas have randomized aspects. I've seen Traders, Repair Vessels, Wrecks, Giant asteroids with shit inside. Random space station/shipwrecks. If you fly to the "edge" of an area you take dmg and will die.

I've seen three factions besides myself. The one that begins neutral is like a Space Corp, you can go pirate on them, but I think they become hostile for the rest of the game. There are then generic outlaws, and an alien faction that is aggressive as well. Each group has their own ships, although I haven't seen much yet. The alien faction sometimes send interceptors to the area you are in, and so far I just run away from those (after dying a couple times).

When you die, the amount of currency you had can be spent on a perk tree. There are generic perks as well as ship specific perks that persist. This progression gives you various legs up/performance advantage.

There is 3 difficulties Easy/Normal/Hard - there is an explanation of what is changed in Easy/Hard when chosen. I have only played on normal.

There are 15 resources that go into this crafting/blue print /upgrade system. The quantity and drops are clearly randomized. It is almost too much at the start and my explanation is weak, but its quite robust. How many special items to use, which include sensor scans, shield drones, attack drones, capital class torpedos, homing missiles. Much ammo can be crafted if you've got the right drops and discovered the blueprint. I'm 9 deaths in and learning.

I think the keyboard controls+mouse are superior to the default gamepad controls. I have played the entire game with a custom config on my steam controller where I just mapped the keyboard/mouse to bypass their bad gamepad setup.

Its quite brutal, its gonna take some time to get places I think. But early impressions are strong. If you love the idea of FTL meets an arcade space shooter, this game is for you. It is almost quite literally that.

Edit: I'm pretty addicted.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
The game would be terrible in multiplayer, defeats the purpose of the rogue like / FTL zone progression. If you like FTL + Arcade space shooter, this is close to it. I flew too close to a blackhole to collect dark energy/matter and I died, I should I have expected that.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I feel Roguelike is code for trying to sell old backwards shit these days, I don't trust the idea that "no memory so can't save games" translates into good game design by virtue of copypasta two decades later.

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
You should just take it as a game style you personally dislike. Plenty of people love Roguelikes. I like the fact I don't win every time, the fact that progress that is saved is limited are positive things to me. The challenge really matters. My game habits involve Dota 2, Rocket League, and games that give me the same kind of satisfaction in single player settings. You lose half the time in modern matchmade games, losing half the time in a Roguelike is very little difference. I spend an hour in a Dota game to lose, I spend an hour getting to sector 3 by myself and get sucked into a blackhole. This situation is satisfying to me because when I win its rewarding.

Gask

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I didn't like this mainly because of how reliant your experience is on the RNG and that the progression is based on dying and buying things post death. I prefer games where you have initial control and your subsequent decisions determine how you do, in this game you can be dicked over as soon as you warp into a new zone. This can be fine in a RPG or tactics game but not in a shooter IMO. I've been immediately engaged by multiple enemies I couldn't handle right out of the gate several times now and things aren't helped by the fact that you can't run to the next zone if things are already shooting you. These are all things that can be cleaned up with further development of course but after a few hours of plugging away to see if I was being unfair or not I became tired of the experience and uninstalled.

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
There is currently a giant knowledge cliff. The blueprint system involves discovering blueprints. These blueprints become craftable upgrades to your ship every single mission as soon as you acquire the necessary resources of the 15 I mentioned. These build up over time and can be for weaponry/devices/consumables. Also - you can pause/build upgrade and repair your ship as well as launch devices or activate systems while paused. Much like FTL, sometimes you have to run. I get that the game is not for everyone, the early access documentation is sparse.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
after spending a couple hours with the game, there's a pretty big learning curve that starts out rough but smooths out once you've discovered blueprints and start to recognize what stuff to explore, when to use consumables. the idea here, is that you are going to die. dying with a ship full of rockets, shield rechargers, nanobots, etc isn't going to do anyone any good. use those things. pause the game, use them.

also, the perks you buy after death really do have a significant impact on the game. when it starts out you're just stuck with what you have but you can start adding different load outs and stuff once you spend the money on the right perks