Everspace (Space shooter)

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
Still enjoying this game immensely. Its much easier to pick up and play games in progress than FTL was for me. FTL I'd tend to lose my focus coming back to a saved game. When you jump to a new region, the game creates a save space at the start of an area. Second, because its an action game, survival, resource collection, and swiftness to avoid the time constraint controlled by interceptors that invade keep the pace moving.

I have seen two tiers of capital ship. I finally made it to sector 7, Just so people understand you navigate 6 FTL style sectors + zones, the 7th and 8th (have not seen) appear to be eventish style sectors to "win" a run. I had a couple nail biting, low fuel moments that forced me to improvise in sector 5 and 6 that were loads of fun. Reaching sector 7 was a huge enjoyment, that game lasted 164 minutes. I am definitely more of zone completionist by nature.

As j00t mentioned above, utilization of the blueprint/upgrade/consumable/device system is integral to the experience. The pause menu aspect is clever and rewarding. Planning an attack giving what you can craft/have is a nice action plan moment before the chaos.

Steam controller experience is great still. Two of my FTL junkie friends saw me playing it, had to buy it. We've had a lot of laughs and they both express their satisfaction with the purchase already.

The perk system is the one thing very different than FTL. A fully upgraded ship + pilot perks is far more powerful than the default by a large margin. In this way, initial play of the game definitely has an earn the perks buildup time and a progression goal, that pure failure in an FTL run does not reward at all. I still have not come close to finishing all the pilot + interceptor perks yet, I might be halfway there on cost. You can thus expect to get at least the perk completion gameplay time out of your purchase in a different way than FTL.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I'm not sure if it is actually a good game or I was dying for an arcade space shooter but I'm having a blast.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
Here is my custom steam controller config for this game. I've played like 20 hours with it, and don't feel compelled to rebind. Rocket league inspired in the sense that I attempted to keep your fingers always on the important controls in combat.

ID: 828662669

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
it's weird, it took some time for me to understand the gamepad controls, which is a little frustrating because i've never had that issue in any game before. but once i "got" it, it made a very dynamic difference in my success. as far as dogfighting goes, you REALLY have to take advantage of the 3 dimensional space and 6 axis control scheme.

i made it to, i believe sector 7 and immediately got hit with what felt like an unwinnable zone. there were some nailbiting, edge of my seat battles i won previously that were difficult, but i obviously got through them. i had a few zones where i was flying on fumes, but i made it through. then. bam. i warp in and i'm on the surface of the sun, overheating with nowhere to hide. i incorrectly assumed that i could use the local asteroids as a heatshield and just wasted my time. the zone was warp suppressed and i had to find, and then kill an okkar frigate with shield drones. within about 20 seconds of entering the zone, my systems start frying one by one. i had one of those big ARC-9000 torpedoes, but my first system to fry was secondary weapons followed by primary weapons. i could still fire them but the energy returned SO slowly i could only shoot a few shots every 10 seconds.

extremely irritating. i literally could not do anything but wait for them to kill me.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
I really want this game, but I keep trying to talk myself out of it because I know I wouldn't get much time to play it. It looks so fun though

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
i made it to, i believe sector 7

extremely irritating. i literally could not do anything but wait for them to kill me.

Don't click this if you want to keep the "final" sectors a complete secret for your first exposures.
My sector 7 was a planetary surface that you could dive down into and use the mountain ranges to block the plasma waves. If its the same zone I was in I got told to go get these 4 quest items to open some portal. The first item I went to aquire had a blackhole just in range of the object that I had to hack like a comm station/warp suppressor. Long story short, trying to fly hover against the pull of the black hole inside of a derelict metal structure resulted in my ship hitting a wall tumbling out and getting sucked into the blackhole, run over. I did see a named outlaw ship that ran from me at low life. This is my total exposure to 7.

To get there I too had some great moments. I had to kill a Okkar Frigate? the second size capital, and in another map I had to fight interceptors for like 6 fuel to have 25. Very intense, I was irritating to die, but welcome to FTL. At least the 40,000 I had went to some good perk progression. I did loot a jump suppression override consumable that I did have to use on one sector 6 map because interceptors showed up while I was trying to get the Frigate down

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Here is my custom steam controller config for this game. I've played like 20 hours with it, and don't feel compelled to rebind. Rocket league inspired in the sense that I attempted to keep your fingers always on the important controls in combat.

ID: 828662669
How do I try your config? I tried playing this with my Steam controller but I hate it just as much as I do in every other game I've tried it with.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
This game is great if you can one-hand a controller and mouse at the same time.

I borrowed a PS3 Move Navigation controller to try that, but I'm having a hell of a time getting it to register.

WTB Oculus controllers.

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
How do I try your config? I tried playing this with my Steam controller but I hate it just as much as I do in every other game I've tried it with.

So, easiest way is to throw steam into big picture with your controller active. Find Everspace, when you select it there is configure game, and a section for the steam controller will be there. Once in the configuration, select browse configs and find mine in the community tab on the left. I honestly have no idea how that ID system works, they just shit it out at me. My steam name is Reth. The config say something like Everspace - Full KB/M mapping.

The most important thing you need to do is go into the right haptic and make sure that you rotate the plane that you thumb naturally contacts the haptic. You shouldn't be fighting to keep the cursor level in a left to right setting. Left/right should be dialed to your hand size and grip. I have mine rotated a reasonable amount and it probably isn't average hand size. I have the mouse set to be extremely precise with no smoothing or trackball bullshit that its default settings tend to be set to.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Alright, I suck at self control and got the game. Any beginners tips? I'm in sector 4 on easy and it mostly seems to make sense. I feel like I'm probably not using consumables enough, and I'm not sure which weapons are actually good. Are blueprints just random over time as playing you'll accrue them?

Do scanning probes show everything? Or should I be exploring more?

Last edited:

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
Yes, all the perk buying and blueprints are just through playing through time. Although some blueprints might require killing specific baddies in later sectors. I've only played on normal. The best weapons are basically the best ones you like and loot on any given run. You do probably want at least 2 weapons, shield removal and hull damage. If you get a * weapon it has randomized bonus stats. If you get the model II it tends to have other features occasionally as well. I don't think any of the weapons are bad. The pause menu is your friend for crafting and using devices or consumables. I almost always start fights I intend to use consumables on in the pause menu. I use them all, and when you unpause its on. At this point you just need to learn to play the game. Each run will throw you curveballs. You might miss a key resource for scanning probes or never loot much of another resource. Fuel can be no issue for zones at a time, and then all the sudden you find yourself fuel screwed and running a few zones. Don't be afraid to shoot light missles at anything without shields.

When you finally do get blueprint upgrade mods, any given weapon or device can be given 3 total upgrades. These can lower energy cost, cooldown, damage, shield strength recharge time etc etc.

Salvage everything you won't use.

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
Do scanning probes show everything? Or should I be exploring more?

The only thing I'm reasonably certain scanning probes do not ping, are Freighter Wrecks. However, their design is visually noticeable and if you fly near enough they do get tagged. I fire probes on every map, first if the interceptors come quickly, a rough exploration might leave you missing quite a lot of items. The main risk, is that probes are often jumped by extra bad guys. So make sure you always have a plan to handle being jumped. Where you will flee hide, if you're forced into the map make sure you're not being forced into 4 more enemies you can't deal with. Think about corporation freighters or installations that you can get to help you by inciting fire on them.

Moogalak

<Gold Donor>
I have been enjoying this one so far. Be ready for a bit of RNG fun and frustration. wtf is the black bubble-like mob?? Dropped a bunch of nanobots, but damn that thing was hard to follow! Solar storms can eat a fat D

Gask

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I gave this another shot and liked it better this time around but I still hate the initial start. There are some things that you just shouldn't need to grind credits for like better loot chance, being able to view repair ships and the threat levels on the map. Dying over and over again because I never got anything much better than the starting weapons and was always out of nanobots without those perks was a real drag. Now that they're bought it's much more entertaining.

Last edited:

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
I have more or less ignored the pilot perks in favor of the interceptor perks, and have yet to complete the interceptors set. I think I have leveled all the pilot perks to just 1, and left them there. I think the scout and gunship are probably something you should pick up after you get a decent ways in with the interceptor. They are new, and I don't think they are as well tuned yet. But honestly do whatever you want, I have flown neither yet. The loot chance and all that are irrelevant bonuses, if you fight and play well you're gonna loot enough stuff. It may not be the setup you like the most, but you do not need any given weapon drop to get far in runs, this build up time is tiny, on the order of less than 10 missions.

Moogalak

<Gold Donor>
need moar access keys! you start to run into lots of secured containers at sector 6.

Jumping into a system with a corvette and a frigate whaling on you with assorted fighters and drones zipping about is quite the challenge. ARC-9000 ftw.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
So I am on the fence on this one. Loved Privateer and freespace.