Everything Everywhere All at Once (2022)

Wombat

Trakanon Raider
A) I would have liked it more had it kept a more comedic tone all the way through.
B) I would have liked it more had it been 20-30 minutes shorter. Setup and the seventeen climaxes could have been pared down.

Still my third favorite movie of the year (after Bullet Train and Top Gun), but then again there's not a lot of other options. (I still need to hunt down RRR, I suppose, but I hear that has its own issues with length and tone.)

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I agree it was like 20 minutes too fucking long. There were some good gags but it got too fucking sappy.

• 1Double Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I for one am shocked that this movie did not resonate with someone whose relationship with her mother is toxic.
That bitch is fucking dead and lives in a cookie jar now.

• 2Worf
  • 1Wow!
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Ishad

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
That bitch is fucking dead and lives in a cookie jar now.
1670556330190.jpeg

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Nester

Vyemm Raider
Really enjoyed this movie, Had no expectations. Just the right mix of Silly and interesting.

Jamie lee Curtis getting Sausage Fingered was Chefs Kiss.

• 1Like

Xevy

Log Wizard
Think they deserved everything they won. Only exception is MAYBE Jamie Lee Curtis for supporting actress, but honestly it probably should've just gone to Stephanie Hsu anyways. I think Jamie got it for two reasons: One, she's hollywood royalty and she deserved something at some point, and two, she actually played a character completely different from herself. I don't pretend to know Stephanie Hsu, but she played it very human whereas Jamie Lee was more a caricature type character and best supporting wins LOVE character actors. Fucking weirdos that sell it.

Angela Bassett acted the best she could in BP2, but the movie was trash and even her acting her tits off couldn't save that movie. Hopefully she gets the Jamie Lee treatment down the road though, because she was the only person in BP2 who seemed like they knew what they were doing.

Kiki

Log Wizard
Sorry but acting with sausage fingers and butt plugs is a bit harder than just acting angry/regal/sad. Bassett can fuck off, the character was one dimensional. But an evil tax auditor turned loving lesbian, that's a story, that's fucking character development.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Funny going back to posts on page 1 from before the movie was released, and reading all the comments about how this movie was going to suck and be overly woke

• 1Like

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
This was a weak ass year in movies, despite how solidly enjoyable this movie was.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
This was a weak ass year in movies, despite how solidly enjoyable this movie was.
Part of it was this is the first year since the pandemic that the Academy Awards required films to have a theatrical release to be eligible for nomination. So many films are going straight to streaming these days.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I'd say this was one of the better movie years in the past 5 years.

Not that that's saying much

• 1Like

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Everything Everywhere All at Once stinks. If I wanted to watch a Chinese family have a schizophrenic break I’d ask for a free refill.

• 5Worf
  • 2Like
Reactions: 6 users

Szlia

I'd say this was one of the better movie years in the past 5 years.
Every year, five buddies and myself compile our 20 favorite movies of the previous year and compile the lists into a top 20 overall. For 2022, our lists had a record low number of american films (note that it's not in perfect synch with the Oscars because our thing is based on release date in our city, so like, Licorice Pizza and Spencer were 2022 for us).

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
In the middle of watching this. Great concept, but kind of devolves into full-on slapstick "people on drugs would enjoy this" type humor before long.

Also getting major "people who wrote this think they're smarter than they actually are" vibes. Lots of Marvel-style whiplash between sappy and slapstick and back before either has a chance to breathe.

It's different, so I'll give it a lot of points for actually taking risks and trying something new. Not much innovation in modern movies and if nothing else this broke with the formula.