Fake People: CGI/AI IPs for hire

Janx

<Silver Donator>
Anything that gets rid of Mark Ruffalo and the rest of the woke actors has my seal of approval.

• 2Like
  • 2Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
So I was having a conversion with a buddy recently and we were talking about the LOL: Arcane and their crossplatform efforts which led into the topic of virtual celebrities and I think we might be on the cusp of this being a real thing. You already see the level of CGI and greenscreen in movies these days so it wouldn't be a stretch for someone to make a new person and patent them as an IP and sell them into what ever property comes up. Such as the fortnite thing with League

Literally fake people.

Imma-Insta-models.jpg

There was a movie about this a few years back, I never watched it even though I found the premise interesting.

What actually made me think about this recently was the LOL: Arcane show, and what they were kind of talking about with the characters and how they made this fake K-Pop band that apparently is crushing it in record sales.

So what about you guys do you think a computer generated IP person could be the next big movie star? Could this change entertainment from video games to pretty much everything where one could simply license out X-figure. Is there still too much of an uncanny valley that we'll never get past or will this be the future of entertainment. Think about it from a production side, a figure that can never get sick, can never get hurt, can perform any crazy action/stunt, never ages, or can age infinitely, can work on multiple projects at once, there is a world of versatility that has never been opened before with this.

Imagine if Riot made Jinx an IP that could be hired of any number of situations as an example.
So you want to talk about video games? We literally have sub forums dedicated to that bro.

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
Its getting closer and closer over time. Japan has pushed the virtual idol game out there, with the vtubers for example. Some of them now actually have 3d avatars and do dancing/singing sessions for actual virtual concerts. For now, the tech isn't there, but the best you can see is that motion-tracking 3d avatar tied to an actual person.

In the future maybe it can be a full-blown A.I. program.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

elidib

Vyemm Raider
I get what you mean.

Imagine the next Tom Holland - a rising star in hollywood, has their major signature character like spider man, but also branches out into other projects to lend them a little star cred.

Widely rumored to be a social recluse because they never appear on the red carpet or at premiers.

One day, a major announcement comes just before their next blockbuster is released: all along, this actor was never a real person at all, but was wholly and completely CGI in every single movie. Not just comic book movies, but even the art-house independent side projects they did. This person never existed in the real world, they are 100% digital with a voice actor. At first the studio kept it under wraps to see if they could fool the public, and fool us they did, nobody would have guessed that person was not in any of the shots they were filmed in - like Tig Notario in army of the dead.

But now, the proof of concept having proven itself, and the studio has a wholly owned 100% digital actor they can use in any of their movies and not have to pay, or license an A-list actor to any other studio and reap the rewards.

There's also major discussion about bringing back dead actors like humphrey bogart and marilyn monroe using the latest technologies.

Humphrey Bogart from 1995's episode of Tales from the Crypt:

• 1Like

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
There's a blueprint for some of the business / marketing side of this in Yamaha's Hatsune Miku. Maybe the first "virtual idol".

For those that don't know her story: Yamaha created a program to do musical vocals with several different voice presets. The most popular was Hatsune Miku and they eventually created a whole character for her and it kinda blew up into live concerts with holograms and stuff.

I don't really know if it helped them sell more musical instruments or if it was just something cool they did for fun.

Would they benefit from a super realistic model though? I think the japanese are firmly stuck in 2D land. Even streamers that fake their beauty with filters are dialing it backwards towards more a more cartoony look.

Differences in perception of beauty is a deep topic, one which reaches possibly millions of years back into genetic memory.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Maybe, I actually wasn't sure where would be a good fit for the topic. Since everyone thinks I am simply talking about ads or branding, instead I am kind of curious how far off we are from a completely unreal star or celebrity. I am not even sure AI is the right use her because it wouldn't have to be an artificial intelligence but could be a group of people or company who makes a Bruce Lee out of thin fucking air, or whatever it might be.
So your only point is what if a cartoon that looked more real got popular instead of a stylized one.

Everyone would still fucking know it’s a cartoon because it was made by a team of people, doesn’t show up to sign autographs etc. We’ve seen cgi that’s blown through uncanny valley already. You just want to use it for more advertising and more movies. So we get the same CGI in multiple movies like an actor.

Truly mind blowing.

• 1Moron
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
A thread discussing real life fake personas on a forum full of fake personas. Irony?

I'm not a real dragon, btw.

• 4Worf
  • 1Mother of God
  • 1Blown
Reactions: 5 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
There's a blueprint for some of the business / marketing side of this in Yamaha's Hatsune Miku. Maybe the first "virtual idol".

For those that don't know her story: Yamaha created a program to do musical vocals with several different voice presets. The most popular was Hatsune Miku and they eventually created a whole character for her and it kinda blew up into live concerts with holograms and stuff.

I don't really know if it helped them sell more musical instruments or if it was just something cool they did for fun.

Would they benefit from a super realistic model though? I think the japanese are firmly stuck in 2D land. Even streamers that fake their beauty with filters are dialing it backwards towards more a more cartoony look.

Differences in perception of beauty is a deep topic, one which reaches possibly millions of years back into genetic memory.
Idk why I looked this up.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
I get what you mean.

Imagine the next Tom Holland - a rising star in hollywood, has their major signature character like spider man, but also branches out into other projects to lend them a little star cred.

Widely rumored to be a social recluse because they never appear on the red carpet or at premiers.

One day, a major announcement comes just before their next blockbuster is released: all along, this actor was never a real person at all, but was wholly and completely CGI in every single movie. Not just comic book movies, but even the art-house independent side projects they did. This person never existed in the real world, they are 100% digital with a voice actor. At first the studio kept it under wraps to see if they could fool the public, and fool us they did, nobody would have guessed that person was not in any of the shots they were filmed in - like Tig Notario in army of the dead.

But now, the proof of concept having proven itself, and the studio has a wholly owned 100% digital actor they can use in any of their movies and not have to pay, or license an A-list actor to any other studio and reap the rewards.

There's also major discussion about bringing back dead actors like humphrey bogart and marilyn monroe using the latest technologies.

Humphrey Bogart from 1995's episode of Tales from the Crypt:
They already made a movie about this;

I really dont get the appeal of virtual actors or personalities. Much like streaming its completely baffling.

Janx

<Silver Donator>
Knowing how silicon valley works there would still probably be a team of green haired pedophiles who make Ruffalo 2.0
Maybe. If the IP's are coming out of japan/korea for example they'd probably have rules on how it could be used.

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
They already made a movie about this;

I really dont get the appeal of virtual actors or personalities. Much like streaming its completely baffling.

I linked that in my original post. Thankfully there are a few who see what I am talking about. Not just throwing Micky Mouse in a McDonald's commercial.

With stuff like CodeMiko the lines are already getting blurred. If anyone has ever seen her on twitch. There are also tons of vtubers but I think that is more crude in all of the above situations you know a character in being played.

Already for some modeling they are using computer generated people. Fictional people who have never existed but are meant to seem like they do.

I still find the idea of what might come down the pipeline over the next few years to be intriguing, not to mention any moral arguments that could arise from it. Do you let people know the next Dwayne Johnson is a fake or do you pretend he is real.

• 1Moron

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Jesus Christ you are some face palm fucking simpleton. I am not talking about Who Framed Roger Rabbit you fucking dipshits. I am wondering how far we are from seeing a star that people could actually confuse or believe is a real person.

It's like you faggot cornflake retards are skipping this example on purpose. The center person in this picture is not a person at all, but whatever it's a waste of time with this board clearly.

Imma-Insta-models.jpg
Yeah I mean that’s obvious she’s a cgi fake….

• 1Moron

Caliane

They aren't going to start with a whole new person. The first, will be recreating actors.
Mark Hamill in The Mandalorian. Then, again, Traded marked characters. The Colonel. Ronald McDonald. the (Burger) King. these either well established but fake people, or used to be based on real people, but are now already make up recreations. These mascots will be "brought to life".
The next step would be amalgamated person. Tayler swifts face, with Scar jo's body, etc. (the deep fakes are largely this already) but fully 3-d mocap or a.i driven animation is still a ways away.
Then step by step, we'll get to whole cloth new creation.