Fallout 4

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
The only really challenging encounters I've ran into so far (that took multiple attempts and strategies) were the Custom House Tower robots, and Slag in the Ironworks.

God damn Slag was just a bitch because you're in that tiny area with him and like 5 of his goons with no ability to hide or stealth into the area. Had to get pretty creative and use the dart gun/stealthboy/Jet to pacify the two of them with flamers. Then used my freeze on crit laspistol to get Slag out of the way while I got rid of the pacified goons.

A misstep and you just got instagibbed by the 4 nades or so that get thrown at you. That was a pretty fun fight at lvl 32.

I almost exclusively use pistols and don't use any of the OP weapons I've found.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
I just chugged a med x and a jet and a psycho and went ballistic with my shotgun for that fight.

Caliane

The only really challenging encounters I've ran into so far (that took multiple attempts and strategies) were the Custom House Tower robots, and Slag in the Ironworks.

God damn Slag was just a bitch because you're in that tiny area with him and like 5 of his goons with no ability to hide or stealth into the area. Had to get pretty creative and use the dart gun/stealthboy to pacify the two of them with flamers. Then used my freeze on crit laspistol to get Slag out of the way while I got rid of the pacified goons.

A misstep and you just got instagibbed by the 4 nades or so that get thrown at you. That was a pretty fun fight at lvl 32.
I did it at 15 or so. Alot of quickloading.. And, abusing line of sight. And letting the ally die over and over and over, tanking for me. Particularly when you consider my mentioned poor combat build. haha. (pre op bleeding shotgun)
My stealth sucks so couldnt REALLY use the mechanic. I was just hiding, and using pathing. You can jump down below, and use the forge to hide behind. with decent stealth, I am sure you can actually go hidden. I was not able to. but, he couldnt shoot me there, without runnign all the way down, and getting into melee range.. at which point I would just run by, and up top. some people mention just pushing him into the forge himself. not sure how they did that. Melee attack? you can run up to him before his count ends. Probably can pickpocket his power core with a stealthboy too.

Sulrn

Deuces
Ending Spoiler
Bunker Hill Mission where you need to rescue/kill the escaped Synths is the point where you cement which faction you want to join. Going Minutemen lets you still do those repeatable missions from RailRoad/BOS. But making either the Railroad or BOS join you in the fight will remove the other as in they want one another dead. So if you want to still do the repeatable missions for all 3 , have the minutemen help you in taking down the institute.All in all , it ended up alright. Still would of liked a few more unique missions with the quest givers from the factions.
Actually,
Institutionalized is the deciding factor for Minutemen ending, but allows you to continue repeatable quests. This is reversible though (see my ending spoiler), thankfully.

Operation Ticonderoga completion is the deciding factor that locks you out of the Institute ending from the Railroad perspective. Precipice of War locks you out of Brotherhood.

Tactical Thinking is the deciding factor that locks you out of Railroad from BoS. Spoils of War locks you in or out of the Institute.

Bunker Hill may disable RR repeatable quests, but Mankind Redefined is what locks you in or out for the Institute.

I did a lot of research to figure out how to unfuck my game so I could end it the way I expected to.

Sulrn

Deuces
Aside from the first Mirelurk queen, I can't remember any enounters that really stand out. I spent more time dying to bull shit like ghoul zergs and every area respawn including a person with a fatman or a stealth assaultron.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
For Slag just popped his goons out pretty quick and jumped down below and used Stims to heal. Then it was just a matter of slowly working his health down. I was probably level 18 or so, didn't have to reload, but I also am not in the highest difficulty

The only one that I really had to reload was the explore the witch house or whatever it was. Ended up taking him out with a bolt action pistol

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I found the boss fight at the castle somewhat difficult. I think I did it at 15 or 16. I basically had to lay down all the frag traps they give you before the mission where the boss spawns (this did like 40% the HP) then make sure he's on fire with mollys and chain chuck frag nades. Just shooting him in the face seemed to do little damage.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I did it at 15 or so. Alot of quickloading.. And, abusing line of sight. And letting the ally die over and over and over, tanking for me. Particularly when you consider my mentioned poor combat build. haha. (pre op bleeding shotgun)
My stealth sucks so couldnt REALLY use the mechanic. I was just hiding, and using pathing. You can jump down below, and use the forge to hide behind. with decent stealth, I am sure you can actually go hidden. I was not able to. but, he couldnt shoot me there, without runnign all the way down, and getting into melee range.. at which point I would just run by, and up top. some people mention just pushing him into the forge himself. not sure how they did that. Melee attack? you can run up to him before his count ends. Probably can pickpocket his power core with a stealthboy too.
I like to play within the constraints of the game as much as possible. Cheesing line of sight and pathing is novel, but meh. Not my thing. I am nearly able to get the built in stealthboy on my X-01 so then I'll start Power Armoring around. I put Preston in a Raider Power Armor so I dont have to see his stupid face. Its the little things!

On Survival, Stimpacks heal you quite slowly. So you REALLY need to get away to regain some health.

I LOVED Pickman's Gallery.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Yes.

EDIT: Getting supremely annoyed by Settler quests continuing to send me out and clear out places I've already cleared out two different times already for various reasons.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I am about to ding 33 and have not set foot in Diamond City yet. I have been carving a path of naked headless corpses from north to south and picking up side quests along the way. I also craft compulsively, even shit I don't intend to ever use, just for the XP and resale value of the items. Really, simply sweeping around Sanctuary and the fort town just to the SW of it will get you set up pretty well and close to L15.

But to add to what hodj said for Noodlebro, here are some basic tips I picked up watching my wife play, who also struggled some at first:

Companions:
Wadsworth is really good early against anything not a Mirelurk. In particular, the Forged guys get rolled by him because the flamers they pack do not harm him very much. Even if you are planning on going lone wanderer, use him for a while until either your stealth or combat skills are up to snuff.

Shotgun:
Double barrel will get you by early, but the two shot limit makes it worthless in the long term. Get a combat shotgun (several vendors sell them) and mod the shit out of it. Go full on maximum damage. When a fight goes south, you will be able to pull a win out of your ass more often than not by just whipping out the CSG and firing indiscriminately.

VATS:
Even if you are not building around it, learn when and how to use it for close quarters fighting. Hodj and Vorph posted some good info on it, but I would add that using it to locate enemies by tapping in and out of VATS is another way to get through the early parts of the game, especially if your Perception is kind of shitty.

Damage Types:
Be aware that some enemies resist certain damage types more strongly than others. Pack at least one ballistic and one energy weapon at all times, because sometimes that guy who laughs off your pistol shots might die in one or two hits from a descent Institute or Laser weapon. Eventually, once you get some combat damage ranks in your preferred weapon, you will simply overpower defenses. But initially, covering your bases is important and also keeps you from being overly dependent on a single type of ammo.

Endurance:
This stat makes an enormous difference in the amount of HP you have. You don't _need_ to have a high base END, but if you skimped in this stat, consider wearing END boosting items (Sea Captains Hat, some cloth outfits) to add 2-3 points as this can boost your HP total a good 20-40%. Also, always take every available rank of Toughness (the END 1 Perk) because it is the easiest source of defense there is.

MedX:
If you abuse no other drug in the game, you should consider using MedX for tough fights. The extra damage reduction can make the difference between getting gibbed or being able to take a few hits, especially very early in the game. Yeah Psycho is an early I win button too, but MedX is plentiful and has a low addiction risk.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
For Slag just popped his goons out pretty quick and jumped down below and used Stims to heal. Then it was just a matter of slowly working his health down. I was probably level 18 or so, didn't have to reload, but I also am not in the highest difficulty

The only one that I really had to reload was the explore the witch house or whatever it was. Ended up taking him out with a bolt action pistol
I saw the Power Armor station outside his room and figured out that an ass whooping was coming, so I drugged up majorly before walking in and abused the shotgun for that fight.

The Children of the Apoc become completely trivial if you do the quest for the rad absorbing Power Armor torso. The containment suit basically negates all radiation damage which makes you immune to all of their attacks, except mele and nuke grenades.

Tenks

I got a legendary item that basically procs Psycho everytime I drop below 20% life. Its been pretty handy.

Caliane

I like to play within the constraints of the game as much as possible. Cheesing line of sight and pathing is novel, but meh. Not my thing. I am nearly able to get the built in stealthboy on my X-01 so then I'll start Power Armoring around. I put Preston in a Raider Power Armor so I dont have to see his stupid face. Its the little things!

On Survival, Stimpacks heal you quite slowly. So you REALLY need to get away to regain some health.

I LOVED Pickman's Gallery.
yeah. most instances of using terrain is good play. Like I mentioned using an open bus to kill a death claw. That was just plain fun. I would shoot it through the windows, step out to draw it back, and chase it down, when it decided to run.

Slag fight felt a bit cheap. he WOULD eventually come down. but mostly was waylaid by the companions, and me sitting there in survival mode, waiting for long ass heal times. Probably would have felt a bit better if I actually bothered to stimpack dogmeat, and companion.

DrLifetilt_sl

shitlord
So is X-01 really the best Power Armor? I just found another set of it doing that Big Dig quest... Unlike most people I honestly dislike accumulating so many power armor suits. I only need the two!

My Vault-Tec Rep is bugged since I didn't tell him to go anywhere as I wanted Sanctuary but had the option greyed out due to population cap. So the asshole now just wanders around Sanctuary and I can't assign him to my trading emporium because hes not really supposed to be there. THAT is an annoying ass bug.
Think you should spoiler the first part. As for the Vault-Tec Rep maybe you could try dumping an extra point in cha so it raises the population cap (save/reload if this doesn't work).

Sulrn

Deuces
Yes.

EDIT: Getting supremely annoyed by Settler quests continuing to send me out and clear out places I've already cleared out two different times already for various reasons.
Progressing the main/other faction quests or simply leveling seems to help increase it's selection pool, but then it's the same. I definitely felt your pain. Although it makes power leveling easier when you already have all the keys/passwords to a place!

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I am about to ding 33 and have not set foot in Diamond City yet. I have been carving a path of naked headless corpses from north to south and picking up side quests along the way. I also craft compulsively, even shit I don't intend to ever use, just for the XP and resale value of the items. Really, simply sweeping around Sanctuary and the fort town just to the SW of it will get you set up pretty well and close to L15.

But to add to what hodj said for Noodlebro, here are some basic tips I picked up watching my wife play, who also struggled some at first:

Companions:
Wadsworth is really good early against anything not a Mirelurk. In particular, the Forged guys get rolled by him because the flamers they pack do not harm him very much. Even if you are planning on going lone wanderer, use him for a while until either your stealth or combat skills are up to snuff.

Shotgun:
Double barrel will get you by early, but the two shot limit makes it worthless in the long term. Get a combat shotgun (several vendors sell them) and mod the shit out of it. Go full on maximum damage. When a fight goes south, you will be able to pull a win out of your ass more often than not by just whipping out the CSG and firing indiscriminately.

VATS:
Even if you are not building around it, learn when and how to use it for close quarters fighting. Hodj and Vorph posted some good info on it, but I would add that using it to locate enemies by tapping in and out of VATS is another way to get through the early parts of the game, especially if your Perception is kind of shitty.

Damage Types:
Be aware that some enemies resist certain damage types more strongly than others. Pack at least one ballistic and one energy weapon at all times, because sometimes that guy who laughs off your pistol shots might die in one or two hits from a descent Institute or Laser weapon. Eventually, once you get some combat damage ranks in your preferred weapon, you will simply overpower defenses. But initially, covering your bases is important and also keeps you from being overly dependent on a single type of ammo.

Endurance:
This stat makes an enormous difference in the amount of HP you have. You don't _need_ to have a high base END, but if you skimped in this stat, consider wearing END boosting items (Sea Captains Hat, some cloth outfits) to add 2-3 points as this can boost your HP total a good 20-40%. Also, always take every available rank of Toughness (the END 1 Perk) because it is the easiest source of defense there is.

MedX:
If you abuse no other drug in the game, you should consider using MedX for tough fights. The extra damage reduction can make the difference between getting gibbed or being able to take a few hits, especially very early in the game. Yeah Psycho is an early I win button too, but MedX is plentiful and has a low addiction risk.
Thanks. I think I am just doing it wrong going to BOS so early. I'll back off and explore/side quest a bit.

I think being level 10 in Boston is impossible.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
In downtown Boston its very very challenging, even at like lvl 25 it can be rough.

Stick to the edges, grind some shit, do some side quests, chase the main story quest for awhile
until it leads you to the super radioactive area you'll know it when you hear about it
and basically just don't try to go too far south or too far east too soon.

Tenks

Also can someone explain what happens/what it means when a Legendary "mutates"? Other than it goes back to 100% life and I get pissed.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Also can someone explain what happens/what it means when a Legendary "mutates"? Other than it goes back to 100% life and I get pissed.
Gets slightly tougher and goes back to 100% health is my assumption.