Fallout 4

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
It's a solid 8/10 for me, but combat lacks depth for a tactical group RPG. It has a lot of similarities to Fallout Tactics and feels like a game from that era for better or for worse.
Yep great review. My only real complaint was it felt too much like Tactics which everyone hated for sucking ass.

Cybsled

A real improvement to high power rifles would be to make stagger a non-unique/critical effect. Taking a 50 or .308 to anywhere on the body is going to put you on the ground. Taking that out of base combat mechsnic was the dumbest combat related design decision. Every enemy in the game should be coded to receive stagger/knockback if hit by x or larger round in y body part.
Ya, I was using a .50 cal sniper rifle until I discovered a fully kitted out assault rifle. Holy fuck, it is so fricking OP compared to the bolt action snipers. It's like an auto-sniper in counter strike with like 0 recoil.

I also found a good companion outfit...only takes killing an asshole to get it, too!

Urlithani

Vyemm Raider
On vacation so I can't test it, but I saw on reddit that holding down the VATS button activates it in a free roam mode.

Apparently it is handy for finding Synths in your settlement (Synths will have energy resistance where normal people have none). Also Synth Brahmin are possible?

Caliane

holding VATs does make it not zoom in. same function really, just doesn't zoom in immediately. energy resist is not a means to detect afaik. they can have energy resist from gear they wear.

Cybsled

Sounds about as effective as the GOAT test in the game
wink.png

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
This is the first time I've ever had SweetFX make my performance worse, which sucks because it makes this game look so much better.

Grez

Trakanon Raider
A real improvement to high power rifles would be to make stagger a non-unique/critical effect. Taking a 50 or .308 to anywhere on the body is going to put you on the ground. Taking that out of base combat mechsnic was the dumbest combat related design decision. Every enemy in the game should be coded to receive stagger/knockback if hit by x or larger round in y body part.
Agreed, but the stagger and its magnitude should be based upon the mass of the body: a .308 should make a molerat go fucking flying while a super mutant would keep coming.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
This is the first time I've ever had SweetFX make my performance worse, which sucks because it makes this game look so much better.
Post sweetfx_settings.txt in a spoiler tag and I can tell you what's turned on that probably shouldn't be. The one I'm using now is Lumasharpen, Levels, Tonemap, Vibrance, Curves, and Dither, and it has no noticeable FPS hit.

-------------------------

Semi-related, for visual enhancement that also improves FPS over vanilla, the best setup I've found so far is:

Optimized Vanilla Textures
Vivid Fallout - Landscapes
Vivid Fallout - Rocks
FAR - Faraway Area Reform
Darker Nights (no darker than Medium, because of the next mod below -- I use Light/Vanilla/Vanilla/Vanilla.)
Realistic Lights (indoor/outdoor & also note that this mod kind of looks like ass in the screenshots, but try it anyway because it really does improve the game's lighting, especially indoors)
Ceano's SweetFX - RL (edited to remove SMAA and tone down lumasharpen because they fuck up the game's text horribly, and remove Bloom because bloom is garbage and it has a pretty significant performance hit too)
FPS dynamic shadows - Shadow Boost (this mod dynamically adjusts your shadow rendering distance based on current frame rate, makes a big difference in downtown areas)

Tried both of the mods that add shadows to pip-boy light and headlamps, and deleted them immediately because the game engine is broken and does not render those shadows correctly. No idea why they are popular or how anyone can stand to look at shadows that look like a ghost hovering behind characters instead of an actual shadow on floors, walls, etc.

I also type "cl off" into the console every time I start the game now. Don't know of any way to do this in a mod at the moment, short of using ENBoost which is a big NOPE.

energy resist is not a means to detect afaik. they can have energy resist from gear they wear.
That rumor got started because Green Rag Hat has 10 energy resist as an Item Effect instead of as a normal armor stat. No idea why, there's no reason to do it that way. Regardless, it's not immediately obvious that the character has 10 ER because of that and some dude just happened to find a synth wearing that item and was fooled by it, and it snowballed on reddit from there.

There's no way to use VATS/Awareness to find synth spies in your settlements.

Sulrn

Deuces
I don't get that either. Why implement something with no real effect or counter in game play. Seems like yet another mechanic they failed to implement.

Vorph

I agree. It's another thing (like ballistic weave) that feels like someone had an interesting idea -- "Hey, wouldn't it be cool if the Institute replaces settlers and they start causing trouble!" and then the person who implemented it worked on it for an afternoon and then never looked at it again. It's stupid that you have to save scum to find the synth, then when you kill it it's considered murder by everyone else, and no one--not even your own character--even acknowledges that there was a synth component found on the body.

No way to do anything to the system via modding without the full GECK either.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Ceano's SweetFX - RL (edited to remove SMAA and tone down lumasharpen because they fuck up the game's text horribly, and remove Bloom because bloom is garbage and it has a pretty significant performance hit too)
Your SweetFX changed significantly since last you posted it? I'm still using the settings you posted last.

Vorph

I just decided to try that one because the guy claimed he specifically made it to work with the effect of Realistic Lights mod. I might go back to the old one, testing it now with all the old settings except for the Levels settings from the new.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
I just decided to try that one because the guy claimed he specifically made it to work with the effect of Realistic Lights mod. I might go back to the old one, testing it now with all the old settings except for the Levels settings from the new.
Please share what you end up with. Just installed the mods you mentioned above. Had some of them, but not the dynamic shadows, vivid mods or realistic lights.

Would net you, but keep getting the spread around message
smile.png

Vorph

Here's an indoor shot to show the effect of Realistic Lighting and the new SweetFX. In third person to show the 'cl off' console command effect as well.
Screenshot 2015-11-27 16.49.35.png

Edit: Imgur was shitting all over the image, from 2.5MB down to under 200KB. Replaced it with a direct link to my dropbox. Right-click, View Image to see it in 1080p.

Vorph

Yeah, it still bugs the shit out of me that there's no character shadows indoors, but this new set of mods goes a long way towards making me able to overlook it most of the time.

HUH_sl

shitlord
Game endings

No matter which one you pick, it seems you feel like an asshole because you're forced to kill good/innocent people no matter which side you choose. But I do like the fact that you do -really- have to put some thought into it.

It doesn't help that there are pros and cons to all sides

1) Railroad is idealistic, but short term in goal. I do agree that Synths shouldn't be slaves, but blowing up the Institute essentially makes Synths extinct. Derp?

2) BoS again have a good mandate (Control tech so people don't make the same mistakes that lead to nuclear war), but ultimately all they are doing is acting like Warehouse 13. Elder Lyons wanted to change that and use BoS to help rebuild, but with his death you have a genocidal zealot. Granted, feral ghouls and most cannibalistic super mutants aren't exactly folks you can get along with, but the fact they really don't make much of a distinction between good ghouls or the rare super mutant makes them short sighted. Destroying the Institute just comes across as a power play, considering the nationwide presence of the BoS. It never really seems clear if they will ever take the next step and actually rebuild civilization.

3) Minutemen. Zzzz. They are good folks, but they only work on the Micro scale and don't consider the world

4) Finally, the Institute. In going through the various terminals and overhearing folks, the main concern is whether or not they would repeat the mistakes of the pre-war world. Specifically, the acceptance of morally questionable experiments for the supposed betterment of mankind (hi2u Vault-Tec) brings that into question. On the flipside, though, is the treatment of Synths as property and not feeling beings is a cultural thing and it could (hopefully) be fixed in time. It is notable that the Gen 3s are brand spanking new and they were primarily used to dealing with the more robotic and less sentient models. However, in theory they do represent the best possible hope for humanity to rebuild and regain much of what was lost.

Given all that, I do wonder what direction the DLC will take. Obviously some companions won't be around depending on some of your choices and your choices as to which faction you pick will have a big impact on the game world if you stick around Boston (although it may be like previous Fallout DLC and they will take place in instanced areas...Please make a Western Mass DLC ;P Springfield already looks like the Fallout universe in some parts lol).

I would like them to expand the companion stories/quests a lot more in the DLC. Buggy as they could be, it was pretty easy to feel attached to some of the companions and it did feel like it added a lot to the game in terms of immersion. Nick would obviously have a ton of story/consequences to explore. Curie too, especially if you do her questline (for obvious reasons). Piper was my favorite, so I am biased in thinking she should get more development as well. Considering you meet her so early, her story kind of fell off the map until you get to the ending, although the fact she (imo) has the best companion dialogue/personality kind of made up for that.
The endings, or really the last quest lines of each faction were incredibly disappointing. DLC will probably be competently unrelated to the main games story.

My ending thoughts.
It feels like Bethesda tried to copy New Vegas's factions but ended up Bethesda'ing the shit out of it. I played all the factions up to the point of no return and it all basically boils down to go brutally murder and betray the people you have just spent 50+ hours befriending.

Railroad is full of a bunch of good do'ers that don't seem to give a shit about humanity, just want to save robots even if it means murdering the shit out of tons of humans. I also found it odd that they were so willing to destroy the only place that can create this new form of life. They also seem to push for complete mind and personality wipes. How is that much better than death?

Brotherhood is your normal crazy fascist bros we have all come to love/hate. Huge assholes ready to jump at any chance to murder the living shit out of anyone who even remotely challenges them or their ideas. But at least they actually help people by clearing out threats. Their last quest chain is just a shittier version of Fallout 3s. A overly patriotic giant robot is fun and all but it's just the same shit, do something new. And why blow up Institute, so much useful tech in there.

Institute wasn't nearly as bad as people thought. They did some shady shit, but outside of doing some experiments on the surface they don't really give a shit about them. I don't even really know what their goals are. They just want more power so they can dig a bigger hole and do more science while letting the surface go to shit? They force you to murder everyone so that's not so great, but it was sort of out of defense. They did kill your wife, but that was 60 years ago so it's hard to hold that against them. They're a few years away from a massive slave synth revolt but you're their leader now so you can fix all that. In theory you could fix all the weird ass shit they do. I mean why the fuck are they so obsessed with making synths in the first place. It seems like 90% of their resources are devoted to making synths, but why?

Minutemen are pretty neutral to the point of being nonexistent and even they turn into innocent murdering crazy people at the end.

They all exist pretty heavily in a grey area, so much so that none of them really deserve the whole hearted slaughter your forced to rain down on them. When everything was finished, no matter what ending I picked I felt like I was forced to make decisions I didn't want to make. Also the lack of the end game slide show detailing what happened to each location is crap.

Had tons of fun playing. Just the last 5% was shit.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Here's an indoor shot to show the effect of Realistic Lighting and the new SweetFX.
Can you post your sweetfx settings again?

I am using all the mods now, but it doesn't quite look like that. Sharpness or something looks off compared to yours. Darker Nights + realistic lighting is a must though. Turned nights more into nights than purple tint.

Cybsled

The endings, or really the last quest lines of each faction were incredibly disappointing. DLC will probably be competently unrelated to the main games story.

My ending thoughts.
It feels like Bethesda tried to copy New Vegas's factions but ended up Bethesda'ing the shit out of it. I played all the factions up to the point of no return and it all basically boils down to go brutally murder and betray the people you have just spent 50+ hours befriending.

Railroad is full of a bunch of good do'ers that don't seem to give a shit about humanity, just want to save robots even if it means murdering the shit out of tons of humans. I also found it odd that they were so willing to destroy the only place that can create this new form of life. They also seem to push for complete mind and personality wipes. How is that much better than death?

Brotherhood is your normal crazy fascist bros we have all come to love/hate. Huge assholes ready to jump at any chance to murder the living shit out of anyone who even remotely challenges them or their ideas. But at least they actually help people by clearing out threats. Their last quest chain is just a shittier version of Fallout 3s. A overly patriotic giant robot is fun and all but it's just the same shit, do something new. And why blow up Institute, so much useful tech in there.

Institute wasn't nearly as bad as people thought. They did some shady shit, but outside of doing some experiments on the surface they don't really give a shit about them. I don't even really know what their goals are. They just want more power so they can dig a bigger hole and do more science while letting the surface go to shit? They force you to murder everyone so that's not so great, but it was sort of out of defense. They did kill your wife, but that was 60 years ago so it's hard to hold that against them. They're a few years away from a massive slave synth revolt but you're their leader now so you can fix all that. In theory you could fix all the weird ass shit they do. I mean why the fuck are they so obsessed with making synths in the first place. It seems like 90% of their resources are devoted to making synths, but why?

Minutemen are pretty neutral to the point of being nonexistent and even they turn into innocent murdering crazy people at the end.

They all exist pretty heavily in a grey area, so much so that none of them really deserve the whole hearted slaughter your forced to rain down on them. When everything was finished, no matter what ending I picked I felt like I was forced to make decisions I didn't want to make. Also the lack of the end game slide show detailing what happened to each location is crap.

Had tons of fun playing. Just the last 5% was shit.
I agree, although I disagree regarding the DLC potential

The fact they -really- shoehorn you in to wiping out the other 2 factions based on your choice lends a lot more weight to the fact at least one, if not more, of the DLCs will deal with the aftermath. It just makes it easier to develop the storylines if you only have a finite number of possible outcomes. Of course, it's even easier to do instance based stuff (plz do Western Mass DLC!), but there is still so much more they can do with the storyline in Boston.

That being said, the Institute ending feels like the "real" ending, especially since it is the only ending with a slightly different slideshow (the crib and deathbed images) and it ties into the main story the most. I also think that storywise, you can do a hell of a lot with the Institute wins ending. You can explore the Synth stuff more, explore the issues with unrestrained science with eroding moral compass, and even after you win they still hint at another major secret project. You can mine that overall arc and even focus on the companions coping with the aftermath (esp Nick and Piper, since they seem to be the most impacted by the Institute winning...everyone else seems neutral or somewhat cautious at best). I did like how Piper was furious with you right after the airship went down, then after a day or so passes, she prints her newspaper take on events and seems to rationalize that the Institute winning might not be the worst thing ever since you're the one leading it now and she trusts you, although she still isn't 100% sold. I'd love it if they continued to expand on these themes and flesh out the companions more.

Railroad never had a real plan and BoS was just interested in maintaining the status quo for everyone except their enemies. At least with the Institute, you have a ton of potential tied with a ton of risk, and that just makes for good storytelling. Plus the BoS needs a kick in the balls so that they can re-evaluate how they are handling shit. If they hadn't abandoned Lyon's ideals for the East Coast chapter, I probably would have felt different.