Fallout 4

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Yes, When I turn it off it goes immediately back up. What can I tweak on SweetFX to help this out?
I'm not sure. None of the things I left on should have any performance impact at all. I found a couple spots where my fps drops to the 30's and toggled SweetFX and there's no change.

Nevermind Vorph, I figured it out. I changed the SMAA setting from 9 to 8 and it seemed to do the trick.
Oh, I don't use SMAA or FXAA at all. I hate how it makes all the text look like shit, so I settle for just using in-game TAA.

I thought pistoleer was hard, fuckin melee...god damn lol
It's a little harder at the beginning but it's ridiculous once you get some perks. Blitz and Ninja are absurd with Kremvh's Tooth (take the blade off and put it on a legendary, ideally one that does double damage to full hp targets).

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
Have any hard numbers been posted regarding four leaf clover's chance to take effect at the various ranks?

Vorph

7.5% / 9.5% / 11.5% / 13.5%. Not sure GetRandomPercent actually returns a float though.

Edit: Yeah, it returns an int from 0-99 so the x.5 is irrelevant and the actual chances are 8/10/12/14.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Oh, I don't use SMAA or FXAA at all. I hate how it makes all the text look like shit, so I settle for just using in-game TAA.
My bad, it was this setting.

#define FXAA_QUALITY__PRESET 8 //[1 to 9] Choose the quality preset. 9 is the highest quality.

It made a huge difference.

khorum

Murder Apologist
I thought pistoleer was hard, fuckin melee...god damn lol
I stuck with pistoleer and it got much better around the early 40s. I'm only 54 but some of the mobs are already getting to where a crit 4.5x sneak headshot won't 1-shot them tho. I think stacking luck really turned it around.

But yeah earlier pistoleer was pretty rough going until you get a pimped out doubleshot pistol. I actually found a pretty badass .44 (and the named .44 that drops off a plot char) but I usually stick to the same 10mm I've been using forever.

Then again I heard most folks rush the endgame in their early 30s.

Vorph

Then again I heard most folks rush the endgame in their early 30s.
Completionist playthrough will easily take you into the 70's without repeating radiant quests. I can't imagine finishing the game in the early 30's, that's like barely scratching the surface.

My bad, it was this setting.

#define FXAA_QUALITY__PRESET 8 //[1 to 9] Choose the quality preset. 9 is the highest quality.

It made a huge difference.
Yeah, I figured you meant FXAA. If you're going to use that, you might as well just use the in-game FXAA or TAA, which won't be applied to text, HUD, pip-boy, terminals, etc.

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I
I just downloaded all your mods and changed my sweetfx settings to yours. We shall see how things go.

Also, Paladin Danse is a judgemental bitch!
Yah he got two to the back of the head. Thanks for the coat Maxson amirite?

My institute speech to the commonwealth was super evil.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
LOL I didn't even get to Diamond City until level 30 I think. And only then because I ran out of aluminum for shower head decorations.
I'm level 38, 80 hours in, and still not gotten to Diamond City. I just explore. Once I get to a location, I usually do as much as I can in it. Quite a few of my quests start and end with "I want you to go there" "I've already been there" "Oh. Here is reward."

Gotten 5 followers so far. Explored most of the top 2/3rds of the map. Nothing below.

Only just now encountered my first actual broken quest though. Looked it up, and it is only doable with console commands (Jack Cabot questline). Going to Diamond City after that.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
LOL I didn't even get to Diamond City until level 30 I think. And only then because I ran out of aluminum for shower head decorations.
I built a settlement early on, did a bit of the faction quests before I decided I hated all of them, cleared the entire western side of the map. Did most of the downtown Boston area. Only felt a couple real good gameplay experiences the whole time, then just burned through the story once it started getting decent.

Game just didn't grab me. I was handed crazy ass weapons (fat man, OP energy weapons, power armor) way too early to feel meaningful. Every building I cleared just felt like ammo & stimpak gathering.

In the entire western half of the map I had a single memorable encounter. It was in the Mayoral shelter. Other than that, mostly forgettable, and I just gave up.

Pickle untickled. I think I'm over the whole open world thing.

Cybsled

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Honestly the companions helped a lot. Piper and Nick made the game more interesting as I roamed around.

Eagerly awaiting the DLC now, though. There are still some spots to visit, but I'm starting to run out of quests. I still need to do the Silver Shroud one, though.

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I built a settlement early on, did a bit of the faction quests before I decided I hated all of them, cleared the entire western side of the map. Did most of the downtown Boston area. Only felt a couple real good gameplay experiences the whole time, then just burned through the story once it started getting decent.

Game just didn't grab me. I was handed crazy ass weapons (fat man, OP energy weapons, power armor) way too early to feel meaningful. Every building I cleared just felt like ammo & stimpak gathering.

In the entire western half of the map I had a single memorable encounter. It was in the Mayoral shelter. Other than that, mostly forgettable, and I just gave up.

Pickle untickled. I think I'm over the whole open world thing.
Should have played on Survival.

khorum

Murder Apologist
Well I'm sure you could still blast through the game by the mid-30's even on Survival unless you didn't take a stealth spec or something. I didn't hit stealth 4 until late 30's and it still wasn't too rough.

There are just people who just aren't get into open-world games tbh. There are literally forums where people spend their entire time complaining about the Skyrimification of gaming heh.

I suppose the better question would be if one was into FNV or Skyrim but couldn't get into FO4 for some reason. Honestly I was kinda turned off by the prominent narrative push early in FO4. Mainly how narrowly you were being breadcrumbed into Concord and Preston's group. But then it opened up after you settle in Sanctuary and it wasn't so bad. The narrative is still definitely more present than say Skyrim tho.

Honestly the companions helped a lot. Piper and Nick made the game more interesting as I roamed around.

Eagerly awaiting the DLC now, though. There are still some spots to visit, but I'm starting to run out of quests. I still need to do the Silver Shroud one, though.
I loved that quest. Stay in character for best lulz. Is there a mistress of mayhem costume if you're playing a female character?

Vorph

There are just people who just aren't get into open-world games tbh. There are literally forums where people spend their entire time complaining about the Skyrimification of gaming heh.
I'm one of those people, at least in sentiment if not actually wasting my time talking about it on NMA or whatever. I still like FNV and FO4 anyway though. FO4 has nothing remotely approaching the quality of FNV DLCs, but I'd say it's not too far behind the base game. Hate Skyrim (all of TES really), not even a couple hundred mods can fix that abomination.

I loved that quest. Stay in character for best lulz. Is there a mistress of mayhem costume if you're playing a female character?
Nope, just the trench coat.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
I think playing The Witcher 3 earlier this year played a role in my low enjoyment level of FO4 too. CDPR has set the bar so so high.

Vorph

Witcher 3 was a great game, but I never stopped feeling that the open world was far more of a hindrance than a boon. Just think, if they'd kept the branched/linear narrative of the previous games we wouldn't have had to suffer through all those retarded "LOL E3 DOWNGRADE!!!!!~!111" posts across the interwebs.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
Fallout 4 excelled on the combat portion more than any other fallout game but fails pretty hard in quest content outside the main quests. Even the main quest are sub par, even by fallout standards and your options in game are very limited.

Fallout 4 might of scratched the fallout itch but it falls below the other games in the series from an RPG standpoint.

Witcher was an excellent story, with options but a kind of shitty open world.

Comparing the two, Witcher 3 > Fallout 4 overall by a good margin. I found Fallout 4 a little disappointing, even if it was still fun.