Fallout 4

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
So I downloaded the Nexus Mod Manager and downloaded a few mods. None of them are working though and I never enabeled the beta thing on Steam to get the update. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Not sure if anyone follows these guys. But these are some really good videos/summaries of what we've all been mostly agreeing on. While Fallout 4 Did not scratch my itch for Post-Apocalyptic RPG. Here's to Torment coming out in the next few months.

Errant Signal 'Review.'

Super Bunnyhop. Fallout spinoff discussion.

spronk

FPS noob
Fallout 4 Vault Boy Holiday Ornaments | ThinkGeek

irig_vault-tec_ornaments_inuse.jpg

Gorehack

Lord Nagafen Raider
So I downloaded the Nexus Mod Manager and downloaded a few mods. None of them are working though and I never enabeled the beta thing on Steam to get the update. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?
You need to edit the fallout.ini files properly to get them to actually work when you install them with NMM or any other mod manager.

How to enable modding

Navigate to your Fallout 4 Folder at the following location "Documents/My Games/Fallout 4"
Within this folder will be a number of .ini files, highlight "Fallout4Prefs.ini" and "Fallout4.ini".
Right Click, select Properties and ensure that these are NOT marked as read only.
Open Fallout4Prefs.ini with your favourite text editor (we use Notepad++).
Navigate to the very bottom and you will see the line [Launcher]. Directly underneath this, copy the following text:

bEnableFileSelection=1

Save and Close
Open Fallout4.ini with your favourite text editor.
Find the line that reads: sResourceDataDirsFinal=STRINGS\
Replace this with the following text:

sResourceDataDirsFinal=STRINGS\, TEXTURES\, MUSIC\, SOUND\, INTERFACE\, MESHES\, PROGRAMS\, MATERIALS\, LODSETTINGS\, VIS\, MISC\, SCRIPTS\, SHADERSFX\

Save and close...

You're ready to get modding
smile.png

Sulrn

Deuces
I'm actually kind of curious of what the official stance on FO4 mods is going to be a year from now.

Right now we're waiting on GECK, right? Makes me wonder if they they're trying to salvage the tax system from the Skyrim meltdown.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Dear god those sweetfx settings. Makes the game 1000x better. Its like there was a layer of wax paper on the screen before.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
I'm actually kind of curious of what the official stance on FO4 mods is going to be a year from now.

Rift now we're waiting on GECK, right? Makes me wonder if they they're trying to salvage the tax system from the Skyrim meltdown.
The only way they can implement paid mods is right from the start, but I suspect that would smother mods in the crib and kill a lot of goodwill from the community, along with all the "mods will fix it" arguments. When they become "mods will fix it for 5$", people will be a lot more critical and so far the general attitude is that the game doesn't match the hype, I feel.

khorum

Murder Apologist
Bethsoft announced the creation kit for early 2016, kinda like the delay for the creation kit for Skyrim. If anything Peter Hines said they're actually expanding support for the modding scene by tryingto share the PC mods with consoles somehow:

Interview_sl said:
Pete Hines, marketing executive at Bethesda explains in a video interview how important it is for his company to take Fallout 4 mods from PC and make them available to console players.

"It's a big deal," Hines says.

He points out that translating the mods from one platform to another has been one of Todd Howard's purposes since 2002, when The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind launched. Todd Howard is the game director for Fallout 4 and an important member of the Bethesda team.

"[Modding is] something we've always supported, with all the Bethesda Game Studios titles," Hines underlines.

The Fallout 4 Creation Kit, the software tool that allows PC modders to go wild, is set to arrive at the beginning of 2016.
I've never (and would never) played any of beth games on console, but didn't they bundle mods with a GOTY pack for Oblivion or something?

khalid

Unelected Mod
So why does sweetfx work so well on so many games? Why do the developers "gray" out everything, or turn everything fucking brown?

Pillars of Eternity is another big example of this, where the base game is fucking colorless drabness, but sweetfx makes it awesome. Shit is irritating.

khorum

Murder Apologist
It's art direction. Kinda like applying a sepia filter or film grain or those obnoxious instagram filters.

Sulrn

Deuces
So why does sweetfx work so well on so many games? Why do the developers "gray" out everything, or turn everything fucking brown?

Pillars of Eternity is another big example of this, where the base game is fucking colorless drabness, but sweetfx makes it awesome. Shit is irritating.
It worked for Pillars because the story was supposed to be depressing and "thought/emotion provoking". They wanted to encircle you with depressing themes, music, and motifs as part of your connection to the "awakened" - remember that you died within the first 10 minutes of the game. I think it helped capture the closed in/restrictive feeling of playing BG even though it was very much more user friendly and easier to play.

Caliane

I never got why people use those FX mods to crank up the contrast to candy kingdom levels on everything. Skyrim, FO, etc... cold, wet, post apoc, etc.

probably the same people then turn around and complain about the rainbows in diablo3 too.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
It's just a tool that has to be used properly. It's possible to crush blacks, over-saturate the image, sharpen everything so much that text is almost unreadable, and turn on a bunch of stupid shit like bloom and chromatic aberration. Just like you can take the character creator and make faces that look like the ones Bondurant likes to post all the time. You can also make the game look like this:

Screenshot 2015-11-29 20.06.46.png

which imo at least is a hell of a lot better looking than the image I posted of RR HQ last week (the one that started Keg and whoever else saying how shitty FO4 looks). Obviously that's not just SweetFX there, and a big part of it is the mod that removes all the stupid fake ambient lights.

I've wondered this for a while too. It's actually kind of weird that games are so often washed-out looking these days, when modern movies are usually criticized for being oversaturated ("orange and teal"). I would expect AAA games to emulate the style of Hollywood a lot more than they do. I guess washed out is better than oversaturated though. It's a lot easier to add vibrance with SweetFX/ReShade than it is to take it away. I'd prefer they just find a middle ground, and then maybe I wouldn't have to bother with adding my own post-processing at all.