Fallout 4

Valos

Golden Knight of the Realm
VATS not letting you target body parts with melee or unarmed was really lame. I hope they fixed that shit in FO4, because it wasn't something that could be modded.
I fully forgot that they took that out. No wonder I disliked playing through so much as I was forced to play it as a FPS. Its coming back to me now, and yeah that is some bullshit. No reason why melee cant slow down time and aim for someones eyes, throat, genitals, ect.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
The reason I like VATS is solely because it is an attempt to sort of recreate the original games' combat systems in the 1st/3rd person shooter set up.
I may be alone in this, but I still wish they hadn't made FO3 as an FPS. I played FO3 and liked it well enough (FO:NV is in the queue somewhere), but I still hate when they re-imagine iso games as FPS games. Front Mission Evolved falls into that category too.

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I may be alone in this, but I still wish they hadn't made FO3 as an FPS. I played FO3 and liked it well enough (FO:NV is in the queue somewhere), but I still hate when they re-imagine iso games as FPS games. Front Mission Evolved falls into that category too.
There are a few guys that hang out at NMA that have that opinion too lol.

Install NV and play it asap.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
You're not alone, its just I'd rather have a RPGFPS Fallout than no Fallout at all, personally.

And yeah you should probably push NV up to the top of that queue

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
I like the concept of VATS, especially since I suck at FPSs, but I feel they did miss a lot of interesting things to do with it. Seeing as it seems that most people either love or hate VATS it would be easy to create separate perk "trees" for the different styles of gameplay. If you're a lvl1 toon - or a high level person who hasn't invested in any VATS perks) you should have a less than average chance at hitting with VATS, and should only be able to hit the body (maybe the head too, with decreased accuracy). Investing in perks increases your accuracy and the areas you can hit. Once you have invested enough you should be able to do some fancy shit. However, they need to balance it well, so you are still forced to use the right tool for the job. Using a shotgun at max range should have almost no chance to hit, and same with sniper rifles up close.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
There are a few guys that hang out at NMA that have that opinion too lol.

NMA is to Fallout what elitistjerks/foh is to WoW.

I do believe they could have done more interesting things with it, but then it would either be complete necessity or forgettable feature. I think it came down to the fact that making a good shooter running Gamebryo is close to impossible. If you ever try to shoot around obstacles, you will soon realize that every piece of environment has much bigger hitbox that the model suggests, making precision shots very difficult to predict.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
NMA is to Fallout what elitistjerks/foh is to WoW.
NMA is a bit more, uh, extreme than that. EJ/FoH embraced WoW when it came out; NMA would be like a MMO site that refused to ever move past EverQuest or accept that they just don't make games like that anymore for the most part.

I agree with the sentiment over there, but I also like to actually play--and enjoy--more than one game every 5-10 years and that requires changing/lowering your standards. Which is why I still go into each new Bethesda game with optimism even though I hate everything else they've made up until that point. Eventually they'll get it right... maybe?

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
I don't hate Bethesda games (Oblivion being the exception, I literally fucking hate that game), they're just not that talented as developers, have shitty writers, and are squeezing every penny out of a shitty engine they bought 15 years ago and refuse to leave behind for something better.

Its a studio of dudebro game devs funded by rich hollywood execs, basically.

Their ambitions exceed their talents, essentially.

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Dark Brotherhood and Shivering Isles were amazing Hodj!

Motherfucker needs to eat some Cheese!

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
SoonT

You're not alone, its just I'd rather have a RPGFPS Fallout than no Fallout at all, personally.
Part of me hopes that we'll see a resurgence of games like FO1/2 and Front Mission, or maybe a FF Tactics. Harebrained did alright with the Shadowrun games, so I feel they've proven that there is a market out there for something non-FPS. I hope their Battletech game does well, if for no other reason than I want to see more old school IPs licensed for turn-based games.

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
SoonT

Part of me hopes that we'll see a resurgence of games like FO1/2 and Front Mission, or maybe a FF Tactics. Harebrained did alright with the Shadowrun games, so I feel they've proven that there is a market out there for something non-FPS. I hope their Battletech game does well, if for no other reason than I want to see more old school IPs licensed for turn-based games.
Have you played Wasteland 2 or Divinity? It sounds like WL2 is a must play for you. Go get some Jack Stacks with baked bean sides and start playing.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Have you played Wasteland 2 or Divinity? It sounds like WL2 is a must play for you. Go get some Jack Stacks with baked bean sides and start playing.
I've been keeping an eye on both. Divinity because it received so much praise, but WL2 I've been torn on because some of the early Steam reviews I saw were critical of it. I'll probably pick them up on sale, hopefully they'll go up this Christmas.

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I've been keeping an eye on both. Divinity because it received so much praise, but WL2 I've been torn on because some of the early Steam reviews I saw were critical of it. I'll probably pick them up on sale, hopefully they'll go up this Christmas.
lol fuck those reviews it's got the Rerolled Stamp of Approval bro!

Vaclav

lol that is pretty accurate.
I still have never played my copy of WL2 past the intro area - with it coming to PS4 soon, I may just rebuy and play/trophy it there. (Probably after FO4 though I think it comes out same timeframe roughly)

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
edit: I dunno man I put at least 120 hours into WL2 and 140ish into Divinity. I think I am good. Steam doesn't count offline time for some reason.

I did put about 500 hours into New Vegas with 6 playthroughs on console and pc so maybe.

Vorph

Definitely wait to play both of those until after the 'definitive' versions are out.

I still have never played my copy of WL2 past the intro area - with it coming to PS4 soon, I may just rebuy and play/trophy it there. (Probably after FO4 though I think it comes out same timeframe roughly)
PC update is free though, versus having to pay $40 for the console version. (Same with Divinity except it's $60.)

Also, Wasteland 2 PS4 is out next Tuesday and I believe the PC update is the same day, so way before FO4 release. I figure I've got two weeks for WL2, two weeks for D:OS, and then FO4.

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
I'm just excited for this because I can explore like crazy, not a lot of other game types give you a chance for that experience.