Fallout 4

khalid

Unelected Mod
Sulrn, you just don't sound legit. It isn't that we aren't interested in listening to legit criticism. It is that you make a negative comment about it, then come out and say you are lvl 50 and having fun. When someone comments on the discrepancy, you go on a long rant about how you were "severely disappointed" in the game. Then you try and get on your high horse about how we are all shouting you down, making it sound like you are the lone voice of reason. It is especially absurd how you act like the game was overly praised or something, when most of us have been very open to all the past flaws in the games.

Here is some honest legit criticism for you. You couldn't have done a better job if you planned on coming across as a hipster hating on it to be cool. If you liked a game enough to play it to lvl 50 and then have fun afterwards, it is absurd to say you were severely disappointed unless YOU were the one with totally unrealistic expectations. You were the problem here, not us.

khalid

Unelected Mod
Pretty sure no one has praised the game as a huge leap forward over the previous titles in any regards except maybe the combat.
To me the combat alone makes this the best Fallout, since that was by far my biggest complaint about the other games.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
I think it's a huge leap forward over any other game Bethesda has made
in terms of stability, lack of bugs, the amount of content and the combat, absolutely I agree.

When I say the dialogue systemm is bad, I dont mean the premise of it is all bad, only implementation. Pretty much all real choice is gone compared to previous titles (though f3 was generally less robust in this regards than nv, f1 or f2)

I dont want to throw the dialogue wheel baby out with the bathwater, but only want the different dialogue options to be meaningful, meaning the choices of responses you make make a real difference.

Anyway, Im really not trying to bitchfest about that shit. It was expected from bethesda that this would be gutted and altered from previous titles.

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Loot crate just arrived.

Jacket
Giant FO4 flag
Backpack
Lunchbox
Shot glass
Keychain
And +1 Int!

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
To me the combat alone makes this the best Fallout, since that was by far my biggest complaint about the other games.
The best modern fallout? Possibly. Hard to choose between this and NV.

F1 is pretty special to me. F2 as well, but less so.

Izuldan_sl

shitlord
Ok finished helping Preston and the rest of the minutemen at the Castle last night. Took me a few reloads to figure out a working strat, but once you figure it out, it's cake:

Mirelurk Queen is a BIOTCH.... initially I was trying to fight her out in the open, dodging her stupid poison spray attacks, but that's just a losing battle of attrition. That poison she spews out is 100% bs lol....need to constantly spam Stimpacks if you get hit. Eventually I actually ran into the tunnel area of the Castle....if you go in and to the left, eventually you will get to a room with a Missile Launcher. The key here is that Preston and another of the Minutemen can't be killed, much like your follower. So the key is to stay in the tunnels, let Preston or others agro the Queen, duck out once in a while and take shots at the Queen, and then duck back when she tries to spit poison at you. She will shit out a ton of those little hatchlings, but those are taken care of easily with any kind of explosive weapon, I personally had an explosive SMG that every single shot could take 1 or 2 of them out, so obviated the need to use VATS.

The best/worst part? She drops absolute shit. Why is she not a legendary mob?

Afterwards:

the next best thing is I'm clearing out the rest of the Castle, and out pops a Legendary Glowing Mirelurk that's like black shaded. A complete badass. I was running around in circles like a fucking idiot while the rest of the Minutemen and my follower engaged it. That mofo just wrecked shit up. Got a nice drop from him, chest piece that increases my hps and resistances by +35 when my hps drop below 30%....wish I could say the same about the Queen.

EDIT: Done....spoilered 2nd part to avoid Tucbro wraths, although I think the second part only happened because I'm playing on Survivalist.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Gotta pull that whole post in spoilers or tucbro will slap you around bro. Thread rules.

Sulrn

Deuces
Sulrn, you just don't sound legit. It isn't that we aren't interested in listening to legit criticism. It is that you make a negative comment about it, then come out and say you are lvl 50 and having fun. When someone comments on the discrepancy, you go on a long rant about how you were "severely disappointed" in the game. Then you try and get on your high horse about how we are all shouting you down, making it sound like you are the lone voice of reason. It is especially absurd how you act like the game was overly praised or something, when most of us have been very open to all the past flaws in the games.

Here is some honest legit criticism for you. You couldn't have done a better job if you planned on coming across as a hipster hating on it to be cool. If you liked a game enough to play it to lvl 50 and then have fun afterwards, it is absurd to say you were severely disappointed unless YOU were the one with totally unrealistic expectations. You were the problem here, not us.
I'm not seeing a discrepancy with me saying that I'm having fun, but I am disappointed with the game as a whole. Hence the sandwich comment earlier and the intent on finishing then waiting for the community to bring it to life. Nor do I feel like I was getting on a high horse, but I'll concede that reading the post I can understand where you get that connotation if you think I'm trying to turn this into a me vs the RR community (which with intent I'm surely not). My stance as I see it (and previously stated) is I'm critiquing the game as I play it good or bad (but mostly mediocre leaning on bad) for reasons already stated. If it reads otherwise, I apologize for not taking the time to inflect more humor into the post to impart the sarcasm more than my choice of roll eyes around severely or my roach shooting gatling anecdote. The "rant" was intended to reflect the humor I found in getting negged for only raising critiques to this point then getting called on finally being able to share a memorable moment that was a positive as a discrepancy while again restating what I'm doing for a third time?

I am generally curious of two things though. At what point did the roll eyes stop being the footnote for [insert sarcasm here]? That's two of you that have obviously missed my intent so far. Secondly, who do you think "I'm claiming" is shouting me down? The closest person that fits that thought process is Johdi, but he isn't disagreeing with me on anything other than me thinking I should critique a game at release so people on the fence have one more opinion on the matter.

Sulrn

Deuces
Ok finished helping Preston and the rest of the minutemen at the Castle last night. Took me a few reloads to figure out a working strat, but once you figure it out, it's cake:

Mirelurk Queen is a BIOTCH.... initially I was trying to fight her out in the open, dodging her stupid poison spray attacks, but that's just a losing battle of attrition. That poison she spews out is 100% bs lol....need to constantly spam Stimpacks if you get hit. Eventually I actually ran into the tunnel area of the Castle....if you go in and to the left, eventually you will get to a room with a Missile Launcher. The key here is that Preston and another of the Minutemen can't be killed, much like your follower. So the key is to stay in the tunnels, let Preston or others agro the Queen, duck out once in a while and take shots at the Queen, and then duck back when she tries to spit poison at you. She will shit out a ton of those little hatchlings, but those are taken care of easily with any kind of explosive weapon, I personally had an explosive SMG that every single shot could take 1 or 2 of them out, so obviated the need to use VATS.

Afterwards:

the next best thing is I'm clearing out the rest of the Castle, and out pops a Legendary Glowing Mirelurk that's like black shaded. A complete badass. I was running around in circles like a fucking idiot while the rest of the Minutemen and my follower engaged it. That mofo just wrecked shit up. Got a nice drop from him, chest piece that increases my hps and resistances by +35 when my hps drop below 30%....wish I could say the same about the Queen.

EDIT: Done....spoilered 2nd part to avoid Tucbro wraths, although I think the second part only happened because I'm playing on Survivalist.
The fun comes when
you get some levels under your belt and you find a randomly spawned queen and unleash the frustrations you had when you didn't have the perks or items to do the fight justice the first time. Going from kiting the bitch around the castle to one shotting her in random apoc neighborhood is justice.

Loot crate just arrived.
Jacket
Giant FO4 flag
Backpack
Lunchbox
Shot glass
Keychain
And +1 Int!
Is the shot glass well made or is it just something the merch'd out?

Izuldan_sl

shitlord
Sulrn, just FYI it's not just those two, they are the only two that have bothered posting.

Granted, a lot gets lost in translation, including sarcasm, especially with written text as a medium.

That being said, you have to be completely obtuse not to realize you saying something as distinct as "this game is disappointing".......and then turning around and playing the game until level 50 and almost being done with it.....is not off-putting? Do you even see how silly something like that even sounds, not matter your original intent?

A long long time ago, when I was a teenager, I worked at a pizza shop. We had a 100% money back guarantee if you didn't like the pizza. One day, this guy brings back his pizza, says he didn't like it, and wanted his money back. No problem. Then, while we are in the process of refunding him.....HE OPENS THE BOX AT THE COUNTER AND CONTINUES TO EAT MORE OF THE PIZZA. Seriously? The pizza is so bad you want your money back, and here you are eating more of it? Fucking asshole.

You sound like that guy. Don't be that guy.

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
A long long time ago, when I was a teenager, I worked at a pizza shop. We had a 100% money back guarantee if you didn't like the pizza. One day, this guy brings back his pizza, says he didn't like it, and wanted his money back. No problem. Then, while we are in the process of refunding him.....HE OPENS THE BOX AT THE COUNTER AND CONTINUES TO EAT MORE OF THE PIZZA. Seriously? The pizza is so bad you want your money back, and here you are eating more of it? Fucking asshole.

This. He even posted again in his most recent post how the game is "mostly mediocre leaning towards bad" but he's STILL PLAYING at 50 and "having fun". Pro-tip: If a game is actually mediocre leaning on bad then you shouldn't be having fun playing itbecause it's not fun to play bad games for hours upon hours, that's why they're bad!

Sulrn

Deuces
Sulrn, just FYI it's not just those two, they are the only two that have bothered posting.

Granted, a lot gets lost in translation, including sarcasm, especially with written text as a medium.

That being said, you have to be completely obtuse not to realize you saying something as distinct as "this game is disappointing".......and then turning around and playing the game until level 50 and almost being done with it.....is not off-putting? Do you even see how silly something like that even sounds, not matter your original intent?

1. Multiple people disagreeing with my commentary != to me claiming anyone at all is shouting me down.
2. See sandwich comment.
3. I'm not asking for my money back. Given the opportunity knowing what I know now I would still purchase this game (just not before Witcher 3)

As far as off-putting, I have to respectfully disagree. There's nothing wrong with being disappointed with a game, but still giving it a chance while looking forward to 3rd party enhancement, nor is running commentary while doing so. I didn't enjoy sitting through Avengers 1/2 with my girlfriend, but I did think parts of the movies were entertaining. Last time we hit the beach this summer we had an afternoon of talking comic book movies/shows with our friends - hate to break it to you, but I'm not the only person out there that had critiques or a few ideas of how to change the movie pacing/story portrayals to make them better (in our opinions). But we're all just young, obtuse junior professionals I guess, right?

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
The fun comes when
you get some levels under your belt and you find a randomly spawned queen and unleash the frustrations you had when you didn't have the perks or items to do the fight justice the first time. Going from kiting the bitch around the castle to one shotting her in random apoc neighborhood is justice.

Is the shot glass well made or is it just something the merch'd out?
Nothing is cheaply made and the shot glass is very heavy.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
Combat wise I'd agree. However that is only part of the game. FPS games have tight combat I can play one of those, Fallout is much more in total than a FPS game and part of that has been a step back compared to past games.

Not saying it isn't still enjoyable. It is. Fact remains they half assed quite a few things like crafting, dialogue, story options and companions. Expected perhaps because Bethesda but that is letting them off the hook. Still enjoying the game. Should of been better though.

xzi

Mouthbreather
been still exploring and picking up holotapes here and there

I'm loving this Eddie Winter mobster dude, you can find his holotapes in various police stations all throughout the game. I got super excited to learn that he's an actual character in the game you get a quest for, once Nick Valentine likes you enough.

Cybsled

Finally got a good legendary item from an enemy in one of the vaults. It's basically the Chinese Stealthsuit from FO3 ;p

mixtilplix

Lord Nagafen Raider

First time I died but saw that she spawned from that corner with the broken wall. So before I climbed up with preston to crack the egss i planted all my landmines in that spot and it took her down to 1/4 health hehe.

Sulrn

Deuces
I wish I thought of that before I got myself save locked post-spawned. I ended up doing something similar after my 8th death. What really bothered me was the
false lead with the flamer. Two deaths in I tried burning her to death before quickly realizing that was stupidly ineffective even though that was my first heavy weapon before the missile launcher

Is it post or pre Diamond City Radio? Or simply the music itself?