Fallout 76

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Honestly, I'm looking at this disaster as a positive towards Elder Scrolls six. Even if it does push back its release, the game will only be stronger for it. (At least thats my hopium speaking)

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Namon

Blackwing Lair Raider
Personally they will just return to form for ES 6 and Starfield. Single player RPG's with jank. Depending on your perspective, that could be a good or bad thing. I personally would love it.

I see FO 76 as failed experiment. The thing that boggles my mind is HOW they failed. I can't imagine a company (BGS Austin) who supposedly had all kinds of online experience didn't instantly realize an engine, that is shaky at best, that is only built for single player games would even remotely work for a larger multiplayer world (I know Utnayan Utnayan , I know, but that's the point I'm making). They put way too much faith into a company that obviously had no idea what they were doing.

For a while, I was in total sit back and see to see how they evolved it, and I still am. But it seems like every day they have another case of explosive diarrhea in the bed. Honestly, at this point the only thing that saves this game is a complete FF XIV style reboot where they take what they have and improve it, but it's pretty obvious they are not willing to shelve it for the months it would take, becaues they'd have just left it in the oven if that were the case. They'd also have to make it an opt in coop game where it's strictly you and 3-4 others.

As far as the future goes, they will see this is not the way they need to go. If they do want to go this route they will need to do like ESO and have an actual separate studio, that isn't dumb as dirt like Austin, who is built from the ground up for online gaming come in and build it. If the blame isn't on Austin, then they need to have someone else in charge of it. Not sure if the fault lies in Todd Howard, or Pete Hines or someone else, but flat out someone done fucked up and they are only fucking it up even more as they try to "fix" it moving forward.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Mick

<Gold Donor>
They both oversold this game so they both should be held accountable for it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I still enjoy the game, so it's very hard for me to understand all of the hate. Although, was never a big fan of the Fallout universe anyways, so wasn't expecting much.

Agree with Daidraco Daidraco , this controversy should force them to reconsider some of their complacent attitudes towards the fans and other things. Along with that I hope they finally clean up that POS engine. One of the reasons I was never that into Fallout / Skyrim / Oblivion is that the engine has always been bad imo. Just not fun to move around in.

• 1Like

Faith

Useless lazy bastard.
I still enjoy the game, so it's very hard for me to understand all of the hate. Although, was never a big fan of the Fallout universe anyways, so wasn't expecting much.

Agree with Daidraco Daidraco , this controversy should force them to reconsider some of their complacent attitudes towards the fans and other things. Along with that I hope they finally clean up that POS engine. One of the reasons I was never that into Fallout / Skyrim / Oblivion is that the engine has always been bad imo. Just not fun to move around in.

Im still having fun to, but it feels somewhat like its "despite" Bethesda. I xp exploited several characters, because honestly, I want to explore the world and diffrent builds, not grind the hell out of it. I start every play with exploiting the pocketed armor so my 6000+ carry weight dont slow me down because I need all my stuff to make ammo, stimpacks, repair my shit and so on. This way I can enjoy the game. If they would start over by now I would probl not log another hour into it.

But this is also what I expect from a Fallout game from Bethesda, glitches, exploits, but decent exploration and some fun times. The selling point for this is it allows me to do this with my friends. I am not intrested in some semi-survival bullshit in a Fallout setting, and I have a hard time beliving anyone but Tod wanted that either.

Last edited:

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Speaking of their engines, I always loved how they would tout new engine for every ES game since Morrowind but basically they changed one small piece of an AI system, everything else being Gamebryo at the heart of it all, and calling it a new engine. And the denouncement of them not using Hero Engine for TESO was just outright hilarious. They really go to some lengths of avoid being just honest with customers - and this has been going on for a while.

Mick

<Gold Donor>
I am surprised that they don't have id software develop an engine for them. They are sister companies.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Speaking of their engines, I always loved how they would tout new engine for every ES game since Morrowind but basically they changed one small piece of an AI system, everything else being Gamebryo at the heart of it all, and calling it a new engine. And the denouncement of them not using Hero Engine for TESO was just outright hilarious. They really go to some lengths of avoid being just honest with customers - and this has been going on for a while.

TESO isn't done by Bethesda, and I don't recall ever hearing them say that they were going to use a new engine. They'll often say their plans are to have an upcoming game be the last on it, but they push that forward. My guess is that they can't replicate the actual good parts of the engine and that's why it's taking so fucking long to move on from it.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
TESO isn't done by Bethesda, and I don't recall ever hearing them say that they were going to use a new engine. They'll often say their plans are to have an upcoming game be the last on it, but they push that forward. My guess is that they can't replicate the actual good parts of the engine and that's why it's taking so fucking long to move on from it.

No I know. But it still comes under the same publisher/firm. Zenimax Online, Bethesda, Bethesda (Ever city) either way I am guessing they have a directive from somewhere to rename engines and pretend it's new. It has perpetuated discussions and denials from company representatives across the orgs for over 7 years.

For Ex: They touted a new engine for Skyrim - Called it "Creation Engine". 99% of it was Gamebryo. Zenimax online denied over and over again TESO was using the Hero Engine after the SWTOR debacle - the entire damn game is written on the Hero Engine. Fallout 4, using the brand new "CREATION ENGINE USED IN TES5!" Once again, Gamebryo. They say Fallout 76 is using Creation Engine. Once again, that was fucking Morrowind's Gamebryo version built on legacy toolsets.

It's a damn joke.

• 1Like

Namon

Blackwing Lair Raider

This 100% this. I really believe the reason why we are seeing the umpteenth interation of hero/gamebryo is flat out because the main draw of these games since 2002 has been the mod scene, and if they go all new, for whatever reason, it will negatively impact mods. I truly believe they can't replicate the ease of mod making any way else. Not only that it allows modders to instantly jump into making them with each new game. There may be other reasons that are more back ground things like AI control and how it chunks up the word, I'm sure, but I still think mods are the primary factor.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
This 100% this. I really believe the reason why we are seeing the umpteenth interation of hero/gamebryo is flat out because the main draw of these games since 2002 has been the mod scene, and if they go all new, for whatever reason, it will negatively impact mods. I truly believe they can't replicate the ease of mod making any way else. Not only that it allows modders to instantly jump into making them with each new game. There may be other reasons that are more back ground things like AI control and how it chunks up the word, I'm sure, but I still think mods are the primary factor.

Yeah, It's not just the modding (that shit is going to be clamped down to their workshop anyways) I remember reading (this is all paraphrased from hazy memories) a while back about how the engine does the entity handling (or something along those lines) better than pretty much any other engine, which allows them to have a lot of random shit happening and not have the engine be bogged down without everything being really specifically scripted like something such as Witcher 3 is limited to. Witcher 3 for example has very little happening in the world that isn't on very set paths, and can't function outside of it (the traveling merchants have some interesting inhouse uses for hacking shit to make it work), whereas this engine can have things like enemies follow you out into the world from an inner area and still have them function per usual. And then there's things like the traveling random NPC/events. All of that stuff is probably spaghetti code of the worst order and either can't be fully understood, or just can't be ported/re-created to function with modern engine stuff.

Hopefully someone with a better understanding of game engines can fill in some details to this.

Cybsled

That is part of it, but what makes it friendly to modders also makes it friendly to devs. They can use the same tools/etc. Lowers development costs, but at some point you just reach the reasonable limits of it

Mick

<Gold Donor>
I am not buying that Gamebryo/Creation Engine is modding friendly as one of the reason to keep it around. I think it has to do with they out right own the engine they have. Unreal or id Tech would just as be modding friendly, but they come with a licensing fee.

• 1Like

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
I'm not sure I've ever seen someone suggest that they'd used a 3rd party engine. The talk has always been about creating a new one.

Cybsled

They definately need to create a new one, but look how long Valve has used the Source engine. From a business perspective, if it isn't broken, don't fix it. Granted, the consumer population has a different definition of "broken" than a corporation. They would define broken as "this engine can no longer work on target audience systems, is limited to the degree that it cannot compete with other games in the graphics/mechanics department, we have lost the technical knowledge to continue to enhance it, and we are losing sales as a result".

That is why you see more engine/system mods/enhancements, because in the long run those are much cheaper (be it due to dev costs or the fact you don't need to redo all your other assets/tools to account for it many times). A brand new engine, in terms of development costs, would probably be just as expensive as the development of a typical AAA title unto itself.

rad

Lord of Guk
They definately need to create a new one, but look how long Valve has used the Source engine. From a business perspective, if it isn't broken, don't fix it.

chucklejake.gif

Dull

Molten Core Raider
relevant

The guys a bit dry but a super TES nerd. He makes some good points with other companies using gamebryo and havok without problems and I think nails Bethesda as a "good enough" developer. In some ways I am surprised by the backlash Beth has gotten over 76, sure some people complained (me included) and they rightfully earned the title bugesda, but their games still were acclaimed. These are the same bugs that have been plaguing their games since, well, Morrowind. Guys over at Beth must be scratching their heads thinking "but this is the same way we do every game what changed?".

• 1Pants on Fire!

Goonsquad Officer
Everyone has gotten an impacted ass full of paying 60 to do live bug testing is all.

• 1Like

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Essentially, whether you believe its the engines fault for being dated or just the fact that they ripped old ass code, bugs and all - Upper Management for the company shows that they are just cheap asses. They would rather risk going to court over some really trivial shit just so they can save a few dollars. Not to mention, you can wager that their decisions are directly tied to Management Only Profit Sharing.

• 1Like