Fallout 76

Namon

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yeah, It's not just the modding (that shit is going to be clamped down to their workshop anyways) I remember reading (this is all paraphrased from hazy memories) a while back about how the engine does the entity handling (or something along those lines) better than pretty much any other engine, which allows them to have a lot of random shit happening and not have the engine be bogged down without everything being really specifically scripted like something such as Witcher 3 is limited to. Witcher 3 for example has very little happening in the world that isn't on very set paths, and can't function outside of it (the traveling merchants have some interesting inhouse uses for hacking shit to make it work), whereas this engine can have things like enemies follow you out into the world from an inner area and still have them function per usual. And then there's things like the traveling random NPC/events. All of that stuff is probably spaghetti code of the worst order and either can't be fully understood, or just can't be ported/re-created to function with modern engine stuff.

Hopefully someone with a better understanding of game engines can fill in some details to this.

That makes sense and yeah after watching the let's play of RDR 2, that is one of my biggest complaints is how scripted everything feels. And I'm not just referring to the super linear structure of the missions (only one way to actually do them), but also all your random stranger meetings.

In response to the video post from Dull Dull the reason is, this was a game their primary fan base did not ask for. To be honest with you the bugs are not even the primary sin they have committed. Most of the ones I am pointing out, are ones that are a result of the large multiplayer aspects stretching the limitations of the single player engine. It's how they handled BETA, how they handled things like the CE, and now how they are handling the patches and everything else in between.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
Yeah, It's not just the modding (that shit is going to be clamped down to their workshop anyways) I remember reading (this is all paraphrased from hazy memories) a while back about how the engine does the entity handling (or something along those lines) better than pretty much any other engine, which allows them to have a lot of random shit happening and not have the engine be bogged down without everything being really specifically scripted like something such as Witcher 3 is limited to. Witcher 3 for example has very little happening in the world that isn't on very set paths, and can't function outside of it (the traveling merchants have some interesting inhouse uses for hacking shit to make it work), whereas this engine can have things like enemies follow you out into the world from an inner area and still have them function per usual. And then there's things like the traveling random NPC/events. All of that stuff is probably spaghetti code of the worst order and either can't be fully understood, or just can't be ported/re-created to function with modern engine stuff.

Hopefully someone with a better understanding of game engines can fill in some details to this.

It's a AI "Light" approach, in single player it can probably handle it fine, but in a MP situation constantly betting on the client too properly "synch" over all connected clients, + server tracking is a mistake. Scrap there MP build, rebuild it to properly be payloaded out of the servers, instead of trusting clients too do the heavy lifiting, use the damn servers that's what there for..

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
- Armor: Fixed an exploit affecting certain armor types that could allow players to gain unlimited carry capacity during that play session.

This far more than anything else in the game is what is going to stop me from playing it. Game was actually a lot of fun once I found that bug and could play without having to go back to base every 10 minutes.

Fucker

Log Wizard
- Armor: Fixed an exploit affecting certain armor types that could allow players to gain unlimited carry capacity during that play session.

This far more than anything else in the game is what is going to stop me from playing it. Game was actually a lot of fun once I found that bug and could play without having to go back to base every 10 minutes.

It amazes me to no end in this day and age that devs think that bag space should be a rarity as if it then would be a compelling aspect of game play.

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
It amazes me to no end in this day and age that devs think that bag space should be a rarity as if it then would be a compelling aspect of game play.
Apparently in FO76 it's a technical limitation and not a design choice. Their 16 year old game engine can't handle so many objects in the world, especially since it wasn't designed with online multiplayer in mind.

Molten Core Raider
So apparently Bethesda's "official 21:9 ultrawide support" in the latest patch turns out to be nothing more than an .ini edit that players could have been doing themselves since launch. The game renders sorta correctly as 21:9 by being stretched to meet the wider resolution, but the UI wasnt updated for 21:9 so it stretches the 16:9 UI to fit. Nice.

Fallout 76's New Ultrawide Mode Comes Under Fire From Players - IGN

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Cybsled

I ran across people dumping 2-3 star legendaries on the ground left and right the other day. Servers also seemed laggier, so not sure if there was a connection between the weight limit fix and people mass dumping shit all over the place.

The camp change is pretty nice, though. Now they just need to raise the budget.

Namon

Blackwing Lair Raider
I ran across people dumping 2-3 star legendaries on the ground left and right the other day. Servers also seemed laggier, so not sure if there was a connection between the weight limit fix and people mass dumping shit all over the place.

The camp change is pretty nice, though. Now they just need to raise the budget.

I am definitely hoping for a miracle, but that's just it, I think it'd take a miracle for that to happen. I think a lot of the instability so far can be credited to the unlimited carry weight glitch stretching the limits of what the game can track. Had every server been completely full of 24 players it may have been worse (so far from what I've seen teh servers are not full, could be wrong though). I just do not think they will ever totally resolve this limitation, and it sucks.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
I hope Bethesda burns to the ground with the way they have treated customers in the last 3 weeks.

I am going to do my part by NOT buying TES or Starfield on launch, and this time around, I will wait for a GOTY edition at a fraction of the price. Or hell, I haven't pirated a game since I was 14 years old. I may start with these losers.

• 6Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 6 users

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
Here's too hoping Doom: Eternal will be on Steam... (or Epic's Store) and not stuck on there shitty "buy user stolen mods" launcher..

Rhanyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
It seems extremely limiting in a very superficial way to not embrace Steam. I believe firmly, they made that decision intentionally, knowing exactly how much of a swing they would have felt on charge backs.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Cybsled

It is sort of the same thing we see with streaming services. Everyone wants to run their own platform to maximize the amount of cash they get. Consumer convenience (or savings for that matter) are a complete afterthought.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
It is sort of the same thing we see with streaming services. Everyone wants to run their own platform to maximize the amount of cash they get. Consumer convenience (or savings for that matter) are a complete afterthought.

Like Rhanyn said though, Steam's refund policy is what I would guess their driving factor was. They knew this would be a steaming pile of shit when they launched it, and also knew Steam allows 2 hour refunds no questions asked. It would have been the most refunded game on Steam in the history of Steam and Bethesda knew it going in - hence it wasn't on there.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
It seems extremely limiting in a very superficial way to not embrace Steam. I believe firmly, they made that decision intentionally, knowing exactly how much of a swing they would have felt on charge backs.

The opportunity to control refunds is a part of it, but I'd bet a lot on it being that it's just the first big step in moving everything to being on their own platform and locking down modding to the creation club in the process. TESVI and Starwhogivesashit will not be on Steam. They're big enough that they don't need Steam, and whatever losses they take for reduced exposure they make up for with a larger cut of the sales, and control over the refunds (if any)

wat

Golden Knight of the Realm
Steam just took to big of a cut for too long. They lost the big developers and they'll probably lose a lot of the small developers to the EPIC games store and there ridiculously better revenue split.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Steam just took to big of a cut for too long. They lost the big developers and they'll probably lose a lot of the small developers to the EPIC games store and there ridiculously better revenue split.

No matter what the cut, AAA publishers were going on their own anyway once the model took off to have more control over refund policies, channeling, marketing, and not having to pay royalties to a 3rd party service.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
No matter what the cut, AAA publishers were going on their own anyway once the model took off to have more control over refund policies, channeling, marketing, and not having to pay royalties to a 3rd party service.

Same shit is happening now with streaming services. Netfix started it, but now everyone wants one, Disney, HBO, ABC, CBS, Garden Channel....

Thing is with game companies the shit is free, for the most part, with the streaming services they allw ant $15-$20 per month.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Same shit is happening now with streaming services. Netfix started it, but now everyone wants one, Disney, HBO, ABC, CBS, Garden Channel....

Thing is with game companies the shit is free, for the most part, with the streaming services they allw ant $15-$20 per month.

Yep and that’s ridiculous. If I pay for cable tv, I shouldn’t have to pay extra for a CBS service where it has exclusive content on a network channel that should be on said channel. It’s beyond ridiculous.

• 2Like

Molten Core Raider
Yep and that’s ridiculous. If I pay for cable tv, I shouldn’t have to pay extra for a CBS service where it has exclusive content on a network channel that should be on said channel. It’s beyond ridiculous.
I agree, which is why I subscribe to nothing and pirate everything. May get my comeuppance one day, but not today (hopefully, it's still early).

• 2Like