Fallout 76

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Didn't they say there would be a story to follow, ie objectives and the such? Did I just imagine that shit?

Yes. He said you can play it alone and do the "quests" and "story" on your own. Not something marketed along with games like Conan Exiles or other survival games. That doesn't sound like a generic open world with no NPCs other than cannon fodder.

That said, it'd also be odd to be able to nuke quest NPC settlements. And if the world regenerates\respawns after such events.

And if you can build, and the progression carries over with you, with no real server selection, and you can build everywhere. What if you build in exactly one spot, then join 3 friends who also built on that exact spot. Who gets their stuff?

He didn't answer enough questions.

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
The hacking vids of people nuking and grieving will be hilarious.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
And if you can build, and the progression carries over with you, with no real server selection, and you can build everywhere. What if you build in exactly one spot, then join 3 friends who also built on that exact spot. Who gets their stuff?

What probably happens is it throws everything into your CAMP or whatever they call it, and you redeploy the build elsewhere when you spawn on a new server.

Which begs the question, why does anyone care about Nukes and killing off evil gangs what not, when you can just pick up and plop somewhere else before it happens.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

spronk

FPS noob
Yeah I don't really get how this game works at all. DayZ/Rust/Conan I get - you connect to a persistent shared server, if you die you lose everything and respawn, anything you build is persistent and stays whether you are connected or not.

But this stuff can be played solo, but requires online, you can move stuff around, if you die you don't lose everything? (what does that mean), ?? Its confusing. It might be great, but really don't understand how the persistence, respawn, PVP mechanics, questing, etc work. Just really trivial things like if you are sitting at a quest giver reading instructions can someone come up and kill you? Are there hub locations? "Saves"? Mods? Can you "lock" your constructions or can someone else come in and destroy everything for salvage?

• 1Like

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yes. He said you can play it alone and do the "quests" and "story" on your own. Not something marketed along with games like Conan Exiles or other survival games. That doesn't sound like a generic open world with no NPCs other than cannon fodder.

That said, it'd also be odd to be able to nuke quest NPC settlements. And if the world regenerates\respawns after such events.

He didn't answer enough questions.

You can do solo on conan though I believe I am pretty sure that is an option. I am guessing the conan model is probably what fallout winds up using even including the giant doom PVP bunker buster type options like conan had with the giant sky squid thing.

goishen

Macho Ma'am
I'll bet that it makes sense if you can build your bases in another spot besides settlements. For example, I believe the eastern edge of the FO4 map didn't have many settlements. If you could build your base there, then you could travel around to different servers and bring your base with you. Of course, I dunno what FO76's map will look like, I'm just using FO4 (or at least what I remember) as an example.

My guess is that we'll be starting the factions that we all know and love. BoS, Minutemen, etc. And we'll be nuking the other one, at the extreme end of the story crit path. You can either do that with friends, or do that solo. But it's better with friends because you can get shit done quicker and have a couple'a laughs along the way.

My two cents.

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
Title alone does suggest Fallout76 is to be considered a spinoff, and yes, they probably realize its not for their core audience, and thus the tease was needed.

recycling assets in order to make a spinoff which doesn't target their core audience? doesn't sound like a moneygrab at all

rushing this game out while not having experience with the genre it is supposed to be will drag the franchise down

Didn't they say there would be a story to follow, ie objectives and the such? Did I just imagine that shit?

"collect 5 radiant rat tails and bring them to me"

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
Yeah, I don't get it. A bunch of people bitching because they want the same boring shit repeated in every single game.

I'm excited about it.

yea, its like when all those DOWII fans said they didn't want the changes DOWIII was bringing, instead they wanted more of the popular boring shit they had been used to for years

wait, that game failed and effectively killed the franchise until someone takes the risk of rebooting it

i mean EQ is 20 years old, and the progression servers are the most popular ones by far .. people do want more of the same, provided the original was good .. on the other hand the Star Wars movie franchise is probably at an all time low popularity-wise, because the way they changed the movies so they appeal to a wider audience, result in the movies no longer have a strong appeal to any audience, they are just generic high-budget movies, and other movies beat them in that department

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Caliane

recycling assets in order to make a spinoff which doesn't target their core audience? doesn't sound like a moneygrab at all

rushing this game out while not having experience with the genre it is supposed to be will drag the franchise down
"

yeah... well. thats how we got DOTA, Team Fortress, Counterstrike, Fortnite Battleroyal, etc... I am pretty ok with that.

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
TF and CS evolved from HL1, which was a shooter with a core audience of FPS fans, and had a very strong competitive multiplayer scene (at the time), so its only logical they made it big

the games you name are an infinitely small number compared to the number of failures

don't let me stop you from pre-ordering the collectors edition though

• 1Worf

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
One thing I noticed from the nuke interface is it only allowed you to select certain targets. Unless random bases in the wilderness count as targets, then potentially nukes are limited to points of interest and the surrounding area. That could be the balance: If you build bases on points of interest to control them, then the tradeoff is your ass can get nuked. If your base is in the middle of nowhere, then maybe you're safe? We will find out more, but that was a possible takeaway from the video.

Having played plenty of these games before, I wouldn't be surprised if that is 100% how that mechanic works. Problem in many of these survival games is people always end up taking over POIs. If you introduce a mechanic that makes that a very high risk venture, then you reduce (in theory) the incidence rate and also provide a non-admin solution to making sure they don't stay camped by player bases forever.

It's like people didn't even listen too or watch the presentation. People bitching about forced multiplayer when he clearly said you could go through the whole game on single player. People bitching about bases being destroyed when it was obvius the nuke interface was for specific areas, to essentially spawn "raids" in order to kill / mine for what I assume is going to be end game armor/weapon crafting material.

Will this game actually be good? Who fucking knows, but I promise you the PVP is going to be faily chill GTAV like, bases are likely going to be safe from PVP (dude was very specific with "survival light"). If anything people are going to be crying about the lack of ways to 'grief' once this shit comes out. Either way, i'll for sure play through this solo and may even hop on with some friends to see how it is. If there is only 12 people in the whole map (he's gotta be talking per sector right?) then the pvp will be less likely than in dayz. People will see a nuke launched and you'll get some fights at the resource area, that's pretty much it.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>

• 1Like

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
It's like people didn't even listen too or watch the presentation. People bitching about forced multiplayer when he clearly said you could go through the whole game on single player. People bitching about bases being destroyed when it was obvius the nuke interface was for specific areas, to essentially spawn "raids" in order to kill / mine for what I assume is going to be end game armor/weapon crafting material.

Will this game actually be good? Who fucking knows, but I promise you the PVP is going to be faily chill GTAV like, bases are likely going to be safe from PVP (dude was very specific with "survival light"). If anything people are going to be crying about the lack of ways to 'grief' once this shit comes out. Either way, i'll for sure play through this solo and may even hop on with some friends to see how it is. If there is only 12 people in the whole map (he's gotta be talking per sector right?) then the pvp will be less likely than in dayz. People will see a nuke launched and you'll get some fights at the resource area, that's pretty much it.

Enjoy your radiant quests, because every other person is real.

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
Todd Howard just mentioned that Fallout 76 will eventually allow you to have your own private worlds with mods.

Not at launch, but that's the eventual destination.

Neat.

Caliane

its going to be exactly like every other open world survival game...
same server, same modding, same pve/pvp, same questing, etc..

Last edited:

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
I like co-op survival but have avoided Rust / etc. because I don't have time to be bothered with PvP / griefing at the same time (for PvP I'll play BR or League or something totally PvP) - I like the Fallout mainline games well enough but I'm kind of hopeful there'll be "blue" shards or something and I can co-op this, it sort of implies that'll be possible. Honestly the gameplay being fun is one of the biggest questions for me, it didn't look like a copy of FO4 but didn't look totally new either.