Fallout - New Vegas

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I would love a Fo1/2 remake/remaster that fixed the dated UI
Yeah, I still remember the disappointment when the people who tried to redo 1 & 2 in the Tactics engine had to give up because it just wasn't possible.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Never really gave New Vegas a solid chance. I liked FO4 myself - at least enough to complete the main questline and such - but never really fleshed out the exploration piece that much. There are some solid / fun story tidbits that I have found so far. Guessing New Vegas however would have those story tidbits everywhere?

• 2WTF
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
The main drawback to FO1 and 2 are simply that their UI is quite dated by modern standards. And I don't just mean the resolution, that can be fixed with many widescreen/hi res mods. It is quite clunky. These are two of the very many 90s and early 2000s games that could do with an "enhanced edition" that would fix some of the bugs, some of the clunkyness and make a few other mostly cosmetic changes, a bit like what the Baldur's Gate EE games did. Hell, imagine if someone were to do this and then add an editor into it so people could use the game assets to create their own fallout adventures. Never going to happen, I know, but it's a missed oportunity.
I haven't looked at FO 1/2 mods, but all Baldur's Gate 1/2 EE did, outside of the mediocre new areas/character they made, was compile a bunch of mods into a single package then made money off mostly other peoples work. If there are no UI update mods for FO 1/2 it probably means they are too difficult for people to change or some issue with copyrights/proprietary engines, maybe.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Well, about time I played a Fallout game myself instead of watching/hearing friends talk about it. Started a New Vegas play-through after watching the show. Not far in, I'm about to head south of Primm after doing what I could first visit.

I followed this steam guide to get started, they recommend Mod Organiser 2 over vortex/nexus auto installs.

Steam Community :: Guide :: Simple Guide to Setting up New Vegas in 2024

That got it running with the unofficial patch and crash prevention, but it was still looking it's age a bit. I went with the top 5 mods from this list to update the look but not change the feel.

Fallout New Vegas: The 21 Best Graphics Mods You Need To Install

In addition to some manual copying of textures into the directory from the NMC texture pack in 3 separate downloads

NMCs_Texture_Pack_For_New_Vegas

My final MO2 list looks like this -

View attachment 524818

I may or may not add more, but I'm happy with the changes so far, definitely feels like I'll stick with it more after giving it the new coat of paint.

Also, for any other newbies like me this table was helpful during character creation.

why this guide and not viva new vagas?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
One can talk all about how FO1/2 are the "true spirit of FO", neglecting the simple fact that things can be improved, and just because people had to use "isometric view" in computer games due to tech limitations back in the day is a very poor argument against the clear benefits of 3D, especially the kind of 3D tech that became widely available in the early 2000s, which allowed a far stronger position for the FO games and post-apocalypse to move into the mainstream and into the 3D realm that had mainly been occupied by fantasy RPGs until then.

Also, FO3s introduction of 1930s, 40s tunes as soundtrack was another brilliant move, music that was clearly referenced in FO1 and 2 via text, but technologically unfeasible to include as actual music in the game.
Just because they can be improved doesn't mean they are improved.

Vorph

VNV is definitely the one to use. It takes a while to setup though, there's like 100+ mods in total if you do the whole thing.

• 1Like

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
I actually enjoyed FO4 a good bit, though this was years after release with various non-story mods and all DLC. I thought the main story was fine and the overall exploration was pretty good. I wish the base building had been more impactful but it was nice that all the junk items actually kind of had a use (which made Starfield's regression in that area all the more odd).

• 3Like

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
New Vegas is solid but the New Vegas DLC packs are among the best DLC ever made.

• 3Like

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
What Gav said. I replay the base New Vegas and DLC every couple years on my PS3, even though I need to restart it periodically because it still has a memory leak issue. Actual in game not bug related criticisms for it would be the overland areas could be a little more filled in with things and the Lonesome Road DLC was a bit too linear. It is otherwise a perfect game.

• 1Like

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
VNV is definitely the one to use. It takes a while to setup though, there's like 100+ mods in total if you do the whole thing.

going through it now, about halfway done. Always wanted to do this but man it's a slog

KurganAU

<Gold Donor>

A written step by step is usually superior to YouTube, unless it's old and not updated. Pretty sure I used that guide to set up the core mods for my last failed New Vegas playthrough attempt.

Here is a link: Viva New Vegas modding guide

Thanks for sharing, I wasn't aware of it but will take a look at Burns link. I did a KOTOR play through recently and a steam guide was helpful for a bunch of fixes / mods to bring it up to date, but always open to a better way.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Thanks for sharing, I wasn't aware of it but will take a look at Burns link. I did a KOTOR play through recently and a steam guide was helpful for a bunch of fixes / mods to bring it up to date, but always open to a better way.

i'm just about done with it, the vnv guide is very good, ez links and very step by step instructions. looks like almost 120 mods total oof

spronk

FPS noob
Play NV first. If you like it, play 3. If you like them both, install the Tale of Two Wastelands mod and play them both at the same time. :)

i'm installing TOTW now, it takes a while as it basically rebuilds FO3 as a mod into NV - 195787 files to generate lol - but wondering if anyone has played Tale of Two Wastelands integrated with Viva New Vegas?

honestly might end up just watching videos recapping Fallout 1-3/NV and just play 4, I know myself and after 5-10 hours in each game i'd just lose interest and stop playing. Doing all the mod installs and tweaks is pretty fun though.

For those wondering TOTW adds Fallout 3 to Fallout New Vegas as basically DLC, so you get the mechanics/extras/perks/etc of FONV but the quests and story of FO3 inside NV. Thats kinda cool I guess? One character doing both games is kinda neat.

Vorph

i'm installing TOTW now, it takes a while as it basically rebuilds FO3 as a mod into NV - 195787 files to generate lol - but wondering if anyone has played Tale of Two Wastelands integrated with Viva New Vegas?

honestly might end up just watching videos recapping Fallout 1-3/NV and just play 4, I know myself and after 5-10 hours in each game i'd just lose interest and stop playing. Doing all the mod installs and tweaks is pretty fun though.

For those wondering TOTW adds Fallout 3 to Fallout New Vegas as basically DLC, so you get the mechanics/extras/perks/etc of FONV but the quests and story of FO3 inside NV. Thats kinda cool I guess? One character doing both games is kinda neat.
There's a TTW version of the guide.

Installing it: The Best of Times
Modding it: Wasteland Survival Guide

• 1Like

BrotherWu

MAGA
<Silver Donator>
Started trying to mod this last night using Nexus but ran into problems even trying to download the first mod, which was a 3-part graphics overlay. Actually, I installed the 4GB aware patch right before that and had issues with this texture pack. NMCs_Texture_Pack_For_New_Vegas

How strongly do you guys recommend modding this for the first playthrough? Are there some must have QoL mods? A lot of them seem to be focused on beautification, which I could probably give or take.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
One can talk all about how FO1/2 are the "true spirit of FO", neglecting the simple fact that things can be improved, and just because people had to use "isometric view" in computer games due to tech limitations back in the day is a very poor argument against the clear benefits of 3D, especially the kind of 3D tech that became widely available in the early 2000s, which allowed a far stronger position for the FO games and post-apocalypse to move into the mainstream and into the 3D realm that had mainly been occupied by fantasy RPGs until then.

Also, FO3s introduction of 1930s, 40s tunes as soundtrack was another brilliant move, music that was clearly referenced in FO1 and 2 via text, but technologically unfeasible to include as actual music in the game.
FO1 and FO2 are just way way darker than Fallout 3 is.

I like the New Vegas narrative the most overall though.

• 1Like

Vorph

How strongly do you guys recommend modding this for the first playthrough? Are there some must have QoL mods? A lot of them seem to be focused on beautification, which I could probably give or take.
The first section of VNV and the performance guide linked at the end are pretty much all bugfixes, which I'd say is required on a modern PC. I'd also do the UI part of the 'extended' VNV as well, since Vanilla UI Plus is way better than the default. Everything after that is optional, but the stuff in Visuals at the end does make a large improvement there.

BrotherWu

MAGA
<Silver Donator>
I am in this VNV process. If this somehow doesn't work, I will find you.

I Will Find You GIF

• 1Worf