Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald (2018)

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
So, I was the generation that grew up on Harry Potter and the first film of this ilk left me annoyed because it was marketed to fucking toddlers with a hint of adult themes. The whole eagles saving the day was a bit too Tolkien. I love Redmayne, Jude Law, but this just feels very cashgrabby. Definitely won't be catching this in theater unless I'm just super fucking bored.

Chris

Potato del Grande
There's several references to Harry Potter in this and I get the feeling that everything from the Harry Potter books are going to have origins in this movie.

I expect all the other textbook authors to show up eventually for example.

We will find out how the Lestanges became evil since one is the guys ex.

The deluminator from the first and last books is in the trailer with fantastic beasts guy.

I also see those invisible until you see death Thestral horses, I always wanted to see where they came from! /s

The invisibility cloak symbol (triangle replacing the A) is prominent in the title so we will probably see Harry Potter's grandmother (nearly said grandad but feminism) with the cloak and Grindlewald stealing it.

Hey what other shit can we reference... lets see Dumbledore meet Fawkes and Hagrid's dad! It's going to SUCK.

• 1Seriously?
Reactions: 1 user

spronk

FPS noob
Cinemark and AMC are going to be running Harry Potter specials, each is a little different. Cinemark seems to be doing it 2-3 movies a day from Sep 1 to Sep 7th or so, +/- a day or two. AMC seems to be doing it (at least) two screenings every sunday throughout september. Cinemark, around here, is $5/ticket while AMC is also gonna be $5/ticket everywhere I think. Fantastic Beasts 1 will also be played if you missed it in theaters the first time, before FB2 releases on Nov 16

• 1Like

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
i'm really looking forward to this movie. Enjoyed the first and was pleasantly surprised just how well Newt was established as a legitimate character. I feared that everything would just feel like it was in the shadow of Harry Potter. I think their biggest hurdle will be the villain. Voldemort had some serious build up. I thought they got by in the first movie by surprising everything with their characters and visuals but this time it will need some substance.

spronk

FPS noob
Saw this today in Dolby, it was pretty terrible. Very pretty and the creatures were awesome and the only real highlight, every human character was wretchedly bad and the story was pure garbage. Seeing the magic worlds of Paris and London was cool and again the few minutes spent with "the fantastic beasts" was great and its worth a watch at home for that, but don't waste money or time seeing this in theaters.

I rewatched the first movie last night before seeing this and honestly I'm not sure which is better, the first one has a lot of problems as well but its almost like they are different problems, I dunno how these guys fucked this franchise up so badly or why they keep running it straight into the ground.

• 2Like
  • 1Salty
Reactions: 2 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Saw this today in Dolby, it was pretty terrible. Very pretty and the creatures were awesome and the only real highlight, every human character was wretchedly bad and the story was pure garbage. Seeing the magic worlds of Paris and London was cool and again the few minutes spent with "the fantastic beasts" was great and its worth a watch at home for that, but don't waste money or time seeing this in theaters.

I rewatched the first movie last night before seeing this and honestly I'm not sure which is better, the first one has a lot of problems as well but its almost like they are different problems, I dunno how these guys fucked this franchise up so badly or why they keep running it straight into the ground.
i think they got 3 more of these films planned

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
I'm going to see it in a couple of hours. I'm still holding on to the hope that I still like it even though it's being relatively panned. RT audience reviews are in the 70's so that's a decent sign. I loved the first one but I can certainly see why people find it meh and how the sequel may be a bit forced. We'll see how it lands but i'm still looking forward to it.

Louis

Trakanon Raider
Agree with spronk, definitely a pirate and watch. Wasnt a fan of this one, while I enjoyed the 1st movie a bit. Ending was a complete cock tease and setup for the next movie. I expected there to be another act and then the movie just ended.

Drakain

Trakanon Raider
Movie isn't good. The retcon at the end was pants on the head retarded. CGI seemed terrible in spots and the story is boring with fuzzy fan service mixed in.

The Nocholas Flamel reveal was dumb. He's a walking skeleton but super wizard powerful when the story needs someone to stop the fire demons. The dude Depp asks if he could kill Dumbledore... pointless bloat. The prison escape scene was super dumb too. If Depp was disguised as the Auror, why couldn't he just walk out? The seaweed monster and the catdragon looked cool but both were pretty pointless fillers to justify the "Fantastic Beasts" part of the title.

Overall disappointed. Went in with low expectations and it didn't even meet those.

Gnomedolf

<Silver Donator>
This movie is meh. The only reason I will go see the next one is to see if Dumbledore and Grindy have some epic battle against each other.

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
This movie is just evidence that JK really, really needs to hire a screen writer for her movies. The screen writers of the Harry Potter films really trimmed the books pretty well. These movies play out like her books did, side quests and bloat that you don't mind reading, but don't need to be on the screen. The last 30 minutes or so of this movie is literally people standing around talking for 90% of it, just a huge exposition dump. That works in a book, since youre mind is filling in the set dressing, the voices, tone of the interaction, etc. When its on a screen, its literally just a lot of tell instead of show.

• 1Solidarity

Semisus

Molten Core Raider
I though it was overly rushed , some of things made no sense
I still enjoyed it though

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Give it a C-

There was zero need for the beast tamer dude...like literally zero. If he was removed from the movie nothing changes.

Movie was well acted as expected from the cast...LOTS of useless scenes and dialogue.

Will watch next movie for Dumbledore and Grindwhatever battle.

Drakain

Trakanon Raider
The more I play the movie back in my head makes it even worse. What was the point of Newt's assistant at the beginning? Queenie's motivations for enchanting Jacob were pointless. The entire Creedence quest made no sense other than to get characters into place. Uhg

Nidhogg

Molten Core Raider
Saw this - as most people have said, this is pretty bad.

Queenie's motives throughout the movie don't hold up to scrutiny at all.
I'm pretty convinced she's under the imperious charm once she meets Grindel for the first time however, so she gets a pass for being a doink the last half of the movie.
Most of the main cast (minus Dumble) don't even need to be in the movie. Auror chick did nothing this movie, all the reveals could have been summed up in a 10 minute prologue that accompanied a real movie that forwarded the plot.

Speaking of the plot - there is none, this is a 2 hour long build up to a big reveal that by the time you get there - no one cares. The Lestrange story arc was okay-ish but then I don't really know the established history to comment on accuracy or ret-con potential. You don't learn enough (or get enough screen time) with any of the tertiary characters introduced in this movie to care about what happens to them (Lestrange, Newt's brother, etc) and the Alchemist fella seemed tacked on and frankly I'm not sure what the point of him was? The CGI dragon containment scene was borish and Grindel's motivations for having a meet-and-greet-turned-fiery-baptism seems overly orchestrated and contrived.

Anyways, yea, don't see this movie, and don't get me started on
why the everloving fuck Dumbledore would make a blood pact with Grindel to never harm each other in the first place. Nevermind the fact that you can clearly circumvent it by just sending an assassin.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
Just got back from seeing this and it's not as bad as people say but it's definitely a disappointment. RT has it around a 39 which is a nice reflection of the level of disappointment but I think the audience score is a bit closer to the truth.

Honestly, I felt this movie was just cut wrong. It was all over the place and the flow was completely missed. I sat there and thought whoever pieced this together and then decided what would be left for the future films must have been sitting around the table for the Hobbit films. There's no real payoff and even if you are looking for some deep cuts, you still don't get the satisfaction you're looking for.

The good... There are far more beast moments than people gave it credit. You get several moments with a lot of potential but it cuts away or you move to a different plot point with little explanation of why it's moving. The last 30-45 minutes is pretty solid but again they missed that emotion or moment much like Star Wars and The Hobbit missed with their recent second entries . Empire Strikes Back and Infinity War have made it clear how you make a second entry and it was just completely ignored. I really like the characters in both Fantastic Beasts but they just didn't get the proper treatment.

Compared to The Last Jedi, this movie will have a much easier time recovering in the next installment than Star Wars will have in their final entry to their trilogy. I hope they get the next Fantastic Beasts right, it has the potential but this was pretty dull overall and had a ton of missed opportunities.

I'm going to go with a C- maybe C if you're a big fan.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
I slept through a bunch of this, but the last 30-40 minutes has me interested in what's next.