Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald (2018)

Chris

Potato del Grande
Not seen this yet but it seems silly to have a plot line about a Lestrange because Harry Potter nostalgia, but Bellatrix Lestrange married into the family (she was a Black) and they never gave any speaking lines / barely any screentime to her cuck husband.

This sort of thing shows how incestuous the wizarding world is and makes me worried for future installments. They are 100% going to have a Potter in this eventually given that Grindelwald is obsessed with the Deathly Hallows and they have the Invisiblitlty Cloak - why not have a retarded cringe scene where grandad Potter meets grandad Weasley?

darkmiasma

Trakanon Raider
They are 100% going to have a Potter in this eventually given that Grindelwald is obsessed with the Deathly Hallows and they have the Invisiblitlty Cloak - why not have a retarded cringe scene where grandad Potter meets grandad Weasley?

Yeah they’re going to meet at the dentist office run by Hermoine’s parents.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Yeah they’re going to meet at the dentist office run by Hermoine’s parents.
Shock twist, Hermoine's parents are characters from these movies in hiding and she is actually a powerful pureblood.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
I thought Jude Law absolutely killed it as Dumbledore. I really enjoyed every scene he was in. I hope they keep featuring him more and more in future movies.

Braen

<Medals Crew>
I guess wizards forget how to dress like Muggles sometime between the 20's and 90's

Chris

Potato del Grande
I guess wizards forget how to dress like Muggles sometime between the 20's and 90's
I think they just dropped that after the second movie because it looked boring having everyone in black robes, they started wearing casual muggle clothes at hogwarts.

McCheese

The inconsistent rules of magic irk me, too. It's not even some of the big things, like casting silently versus casting while saying the words, which people seem to do randomly. It's even the little things. For example, for most of the movie when people apparate they kind of spiral into nothingness. However, at the end after Grindewald's speech, people apparate and seem to disappear upward into mist.

Anyway, I still had a good time with this movie, as dumb as it was. I kind of feel like it's very similar to Justice League, in that it makes no fucking sense in any conceivable way, but it was still an enjoyable watch on the surface level.

Braen

<Medals Crew>
It is so much more style over substance... Why can some wizards fly but others need brooms? is there another game like Quiddich but played with non broom flyers?

It just seems JK is here making a buck cause all her tightly controlled books and universe seems to be loosey goosey with the rules and timelines... Just look at the cameo.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Really enjoyed this and wanted the story to continue after it ended.

• 1Seriously?

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
FB_IMG_1543474221636.jpg

• 4Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Chris

Potato del Grande
OK just saw this... it's Attack of the Clones not The Last Jedi... the story is salvageable.

First act of the movie is boring and only servers to undo everything that happened in the last movie, if the last movie was properly planned we could have started 1/3 of the way in with Newt arriving in Paris (like how the last movie started).

Newt has autism, my financee has some expertise in that area and she thinks the acting is pretty clearly showing that Newt has it. Not sure if this is a wise idea for a protagonist we need to relate to, especially if the autism itself isn't a big focus so we don't sympathise with him about it.

All of the cameos except Dumbledore are pointless and just serve to cheapen the story. The LeStranges just have a french sounding name and have little connection to Bellatrix who only married in, McGonagal is teaching before she is born for a cameo and one laugh, Nicolas Flamel doesn't do anything alchemical and is somewhat of a Deus Ex Machina, Nagini doesn't do anything and raises lots of continuity questions (she's at Hogwarts... WHAT... does she meet Dumbledore?).

THE FUCKING TITANIC SERIOUSLY!?

Grindelwald is a wasted opportunity, they establish right at the start that he is evil with him murdering the muggle family and ranting about using muggles as beasts of burden. Then at the end he does his speech and presents an alternative viewpoint that muggles need wizard rule for their own good to stop WW2, they did a good job showing why it's appealing to Queenie but it has no effect on the audience because of what we have seen him do. They also made him speak like a villian complete with upper class british accent (wasn't he German in Deathly Hallows?) and look evil with his creepy eye, even retconning that he had it during his relationship with Dumbledore. He should have been handsome and charismatic, the opposite of Voldemort.

Also what are his crimes? Why are US wizards/witches executing people who reveal magic to muggles but imprisoning Grindelwald. Why is he moved to europe... what did he do there?

I started enjoying it about half way in despite the glaring flaws, similar to the Star Wars prequels which I also enjoyed at the time despite the stuff we all tore apart like Jar Jar Binks.

I think I've figured these movies out, it's just a convoluted way to show all the beasts from the Fantasitc Beasts minibook they released years ago (maybe that's obvious?). You think the flashback was to show Leta's backstory but actually it was to show Boggarts again, everything in the story is like this. This entire movie exists only to show Fawkes the Phoenix's backstory, they threw Nagini in there too because that's a "beast" too. The last movie was just to show what Obscurials are. I think each movie will have a big beast reveal at the end (Obscurial/Phoenix) and a mini boss to capture in the suitcase mid way through which is useful later (Thunderbird/Catdragonthing), with a few other beasts scattered around.

• 1Like

McCheese

He should have been handsome and charismatic, the opposite of Voldemort.

One million percent agree with this. The look they decided on for Grindelwald is atrocious. They should have stuck with Colin Farrell as Grindelwald. Giving Johnny Depp another opportunity to Johnny-Depp it up was a horrible decision.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
2 thirds throiugh this and its boring as fuck, not bad, but just fucking dull. the first one had some "magic" to it, but this just feels forced. and certainly not any kind of family movie i would take my fictional children to see.

-edit
finished, i agree with Chris Chris , just a bunch of lame monsters. Grindelwald looked like the studio heads wanted a voldemort. its so weird that this is the same guy who was working with Creedence in the first movie and yet he acts like he just met him in this movie. i didnt mind Flamel too much. we never got to see him in Philosopher's stone so it wasnt fucked the way he looks here, though he shouldnt look like an old old man, he should look like he would when he invented the PS. Rowling needs to retire and stick to counting her money.

Last edited:

Chris

Potato del Grande
It's been pointed out to me on Reddit that Newt is probably the person who gave Aragog to Hagrid.

In Harry Potter Bok 2 it says that Aragog came in the pocket of a traveller from distant lands, that's pretty late in the timeline (~1943 when final battle is 1945) so expect the 4th Fantastic Beasts movie to have giant spiders with a Hagrid and Voldemort cameo (since they were at school together). I wouldn't be surprised if Newt is actually the one who closes the Chamber of Secrets and fights the Basilisk somehow, I think the current explaination is that Voldemort closed it once the blame was on Hagrid so that he wasn't caught.

Why not retcon it?

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I wonder if the change they made to Grindelwald in the movie version of Deathly Hallows will be at all relevant to his younger character. When Voldemort goes to Nurmengard in search of the Elder Wand, in the book Grindelwald denies that he ever had it, implying repentance over his misdeeds. In the movie, he very gleefully admits that Dumbledore took it, and iirc Voldemort doesn't even kill him like he does in the book.

Drakurii

Golden Baron of the Realm

“I wish to let you know that I have been asked to resign by Warner Bros. from my role as Grindelwald in Fantastic Beasts and I have respected and agreed to that request,” he wrote.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member

“I wish to let you know that I have been asked to resign by Warner Bros. from my role as Grindelwald in Fantastic Beasts and I have respected and agreed to that request,” he wrote.
is this still backlash from that debunked Amber Heard lie? i guess they needed her more for Aquaman 2 than they needed Depp for FB3. i dont care that much, dude stuck his dick in crazy and this is what happens. he can be replaced because nobody really liked him as Grindelwald and the movie was stupid. but still its lame he got booted over a lie.