Favorite Awesome and Absurd Action Movies

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Watched Van Damme's Hard Target the other day and started to realize there's nothing I enjoy more than an action movie with just the right amount of absurdity.

Van Damme punching a snake in the head, having shootouts while standing on a motorcycle, and completely unnecessary jumping spin kicks after already shooting someone 30 times is just incredible. Commando is full of things like that.

Even things like Con Air that's got Nicolas Cage doing a terrible Alabama accent while kicking people to death for stealing a stuffed bunny or Stallone fighting for child custody between truck driving and arm wrestling tournaments in Over The Top just absolute movie bliss.

Any other gems out there that people love?

• 12Like
Reactions: 11 users

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Con Air all the way. Utterly preposterous. So many good actors in that movie and it's such a total ridiculous ride.

I put live free or die hard in that category too. It's when the character of John McClane went from badass tough guy to superhero. He blew up a helicopter with a car and then fought a jet with a semi truck before jumping on top of it.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
Watched Van Damme's Hard Target the other day and started to realize there's nothing I enjoy more than an action movie with just the right amount of absurdity.

Van Damme punching a snake in the head, having shootouts while standing on a motorcycle, and completely unnecessary jumping spin kicks after already shooting someone 30 times is just incredible. Commando is full of things like that.
Hard Target was one of John Woo's first US flicks.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Live Free or Die Hard is a weird one because independently it's a very funny 'wildly over the top action movie', but taking McClane from battered everyman to straight up superhero definitely murdered that franchise.

Also boo PG13, they even gun-shot censored Yippee ki-yay motherfucker, I think that was right when Bruce had stopped giving a fuck but his stock hadn't dropped to the point of cranking out direct to video trash yet.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Hard Target was one of John Woo's first US flicks.

First time I tried watching it I was pretty tired. I remember thinking it was really slow and fell asleep.

Wasn't until a couple days ago I was on a Van Damme kick and finally realized how close I was to the ridiculous motorcycle scene and am constantly beating myself up knowing I was oblivious to how badass of an action star Wilford Brimley was

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

spronk

FPS noob
Bloodsport - the plot is absolute nonsense

but that reminds me, if you dont own The Rock

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Lots of movies in this category, but I will narrow down my top five:
1) Big Trouble in Little China
2) Dusk til Dawn
3) Last Action Hero
4) The Seventh Day
5) Last Man Standing

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
MV5BMDBmNDhjOTYtZWVlMC00YzUwLWIyZjEtYzFjMWM5OTdiZDJkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjUwNzk3NDc@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

• 11Like
  • 5Solidarity
Reactions: 15 users

Homsar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I will say Van Damme might be king for this catagory

Bloodsport
Lionheart
Kickboxer
Timecop
Univetrsal soldier
Hard target
Cyborg
Nowhere to run
Double impact

• 7Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 7 users

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
There was something made recently that would fit, but I can't remember what it was.

Szlia

Awsome and absurd action ? Baahubali 1 and 2. A two part over the top indian epic. The trailer makes it look normal. I assure you it is not ! :D

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
The Ong Bak movies had some fun ridiculous shit in them. Triple spin flaming kicks…dudes throwing baby elephants…etc.

The Raid: Redemption as well. The light bulb neck stab fight lol.

• 1Like

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
I will say Van Damme might be king for this catagory

Bloodsport
Lionheart
Kickboxer
Timecop
Univetrsal soldier
Hard target
Cyborg
Nowhere to run
Double impact

Can't leave out The Quest. Second half is another Bloodsport/Lionheart/Kickboxer, while the first half is almost completely unrelated and has him as a clown evading gangsters/police, a pirate, and a slave.

• 1Like