Final Fantasy 16

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
Great demo, was basically like watching a good movie. Better appetizer than that FFXV CGI movie even. I was already gonna play it because I like the team behind it, but now i'm actually pretty stoked.

Rude

Potato del Grande
1686607496580.png

1686607466839.png

Tarisk Tarisk
james franco GIF

• 2Worf
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 2 users

Uriel

Blackwing Lair Raider
So in a few threads it's been brought up that gamers aren't designing games anymore. This bodes pretty well I think...

He worked on DMC5 and Dragons Dogma and is clearly a gamer himself. I think one of the things that makes YoshiP such a great game designer/producer is his eye for talent.

Talenvor

Lord Nagafen Raider
Just played the demo and enjoyed it. Felt kinda button mashy but not too bad. The big monster battles feel kind of weird, but the visuals, story, and M rate stuff makes for a great FF game. I really hope there is exploring since the demo all felt like it was on rails.

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
Enjoying the demo. I'm going to wait for reviews. If it is compared to FF13 , it's a wait for deep sale for me. The visuals are awesome though, and it's a big swing going from FO3/NV to this.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
The only thing dumb was the phoenix / Ifrit scene, like the cinematic part was top notch, but the actual game play might as well have been a cut scene, not sure the point of aiming / shooting / dodging was.

Just did that part. Not sure what the point was either. The Phoenix/Ifrit fight reminded me of the various on-rails fights in FFXV where the game shifted into "Dragonball Z mode" for a bit and controlled completely differently.

It's cool that it looks like a traditional RPG setting, as opposed to the modern world of FF15 and the far future world of FF13. Puts it in the same category as FF9, 12, and 1-5 in that regard.

Something about the visuals bothers me. It's like everything has a little bit of a layer of dirt in the air or something. Like a gunmetal filter, Terminator Salvation style. At least it isn't all washed-out with no contrast like a Switch game.

Edit: Damn, this really is a grown-up game. The blond chick is basically dry-humping the giant guy. I can see why, he's like the most masculine Final Fantasy character ever. Actually kind of surprised to see such a rugged masculine character in a game in 2023. I'm sure he'll turn out to be bad or something, but yeah, a masculine competent dude? Whoa.

Last edited:
  • 1Smuggly
Reactions: 1 user

Yaamean

Molten Core Raider
Just did that part. Not sure what the point was either. The Phoenix/Ifrit fight reminded me of the various on-rails fights in FFXV where the game shifted into "Dragonball Z mode" for a bit and controlled completely differently.

It's cool that it looks like a traditional RPG setting, as opposed to the modern world of FF15 and the far future world of FF13. Puts it in the same category as FF9, 12, and 1-5 in that regard.

Something about the visuals bothers me. It's like everything has a little bit of a layer of dirt in the air or something. Like a gunmetal filter, Terminator Salvation style. At least it isn't all washed-out with no contrast like a Switch game.

Edit: Damn, this really is a grown-up game. The blond chick is basically dry-humping the giant guy. I can see why, he's like the most masculine Final Fantasy character ever. Actually kind of surprised to see such a rugged masculine character in a game in 2023. I'm sure he'll turn out to be bad or something, but yeah, a masculine competent dude? Whoa.
Yeah, let's just hope it was some gimmick that is trying to keep the player engaged instead of something that happens multiple times throughout the game, I did like what I played otherwise, though.

If the shit ends up on rails I'm out, really hoping they learned their lesson but time will tell. I have no skin in the game aside from hoping for an actual quality FF game for the first time in a while, but the fact it comes out in a few weeks I hope it is worth it!

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Yeah, let's just hope it was some gimmick that is trying to keep the player engaged instead of something that happens multiple times throughout the game, I did like what I played otherwise, though.

If the shit ends up on rails I'm out, really hoping they learned their lesson but time will tell. I have no skin in the game aside from hoping for an actual quality FF game for the first time in a while, but the fact it comes out in a few weeks I hope it is worth it!
There is a trailer somewhere of tons of fights like that. It’s going to happen throughout the game with lots of different summons.

Yaamean

Molten Core Raider
There is a trailer somewhere of tons of fights like that. It’s going to happen throughout the game with lots of different summons.
Ugh that sucks, I really liked the mature, darker tone and the story seems like it COULD be real good, this makes me sad.

If somehow the rest of the game is awesome I'll soldier through it, but my hopes are already lowered :(

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Finished the demo. This is basically Game of Thrones in RPG form. I like it, it's very different from the rest of the series.

The story seems so similar to FF15 early on* that I'm wondering if this game is just them reusing some of 15's concepts and "getting it right".

* - Starting en media res and then going back to earlier events for a while, Ifrit is bad again, having your kingdom under attack by a rival, the prince has a kinship with a puppy-like creature, the battle system is fairly similar, etc. The Noctis role is basically split between the prince and the main character. The attack on the kingdom devolves into a highly destructive eidolon clash (Phoenix vs Ifrit here, think it was Alexander vs Ifrit in the previous game or something like that).

Y Yaamean The replay of the fight between Ifrit and Phoenix at the end was actually cool since I knew what was going on. Amazing what a good story can do to make you care. Went from a "DBZ fight with a bunch of loud noises" to a meaningful struggle. I'm not worried at all about the game now after seeing this.

• 1Like

Rude

Potato del Grande
Ironic because you were the one that started this shit by reacting to 5 year old posts of mine. Not hard to pull up a page of yours for one of mine when it could be something you agree with and you still react to it. But hey, you were the one crying about it off topic first, thanks!
Sing Icing On The Cake GIF by Travis

• 1Worf

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Ironic because you were the one that started this shit by reacting to 5 year old posts of mine. Not hard to pull up a page of yours for one of mine when it could be something you agree with and you still react to it. But hey, you were the one crying about it off topic first, thanks!

cripple fight.gif

• 3Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Chris

Potato del Grande
Oh well if that autistic retard is blown away (tomorrow he will tell us why it’s a disaster and failure) then I just HAVE to play it!
That's millionaire autistic retard. What does that make you?

Last edited:

Yaamean

Molten Core Raider
Finished the demo. This is basically Game of Thrones in RPG form. I like it, it's very different from the rest of the series.

The story seems so similar to FF15 early on* that I'm wondering if this game is just them reusing some of 15's concepts and "getting it right".

* - Starting en media res and then going back to earlier events for a while, Ifrit is bad again, having your kingdom under attack by a rival, the prince has a kinship with a puppy-like creature, the battle system is fairly similar, etc. The Noctis role is basically split between the prince and the main character. The attack on the kingdom devolves into a highly destructive eidolon clash (Phoenix vs Ifrit here, think it was Alexander vs Ifrit in the previous game or something like that).

Y Yaamean The replay of the fight between Ifrit and Phoenix at the end was actually cool since I knew what was going on. Amazing what a good story can do to make you care. Went from a "DBZ fight with a bunch of loud noises" to a meaningful struggle. I'm not worried at all about the game now after seeing this.
Hope you're right, they definitely have me interested in the story already, will wait for a few reviews but I'll most likely end up buying it. Reading IGNs "4 hour media only" review it does sound like a lot of the beginning is on rails though, really hope at some point it opens up and has missables / optional side content / areas.

Now that TOTK is coming to an end I'm going to need something new to play regardless.