Final Fantasy 16

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I still can’t wrap my head around not owning a physical game for a console. And it’s mental. Doing it for years on PC. Hell, I don’t think most physical copies do more than give you a code anymore to download the “real” game after the gold copy was busted.

With a console, I’m not ready to own nothing and be happy. I have a fuckton of ps1 games and zero way to play the actual discs though so…here we are.

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
This almost drives me to purchase a playstation....but I am so backlogged on games as it is I can probably force myself to forget about this game and finish my current queue then pick it up when it hits PC.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
I still can’t wrap my head around not owning a physical game for a console... I have a fuckton of ps1 games and zero way to play the actual discs though so…here we are.

Lot of good they're doing now when you can launch playstation games in the browser huh? Keep saving that useless physical media though and convincing yourself it'll be different in the future!

Fadaar

That guy
This almost drives me to purchase a playstation....but I am so backlogged on games as it is I can probably force myself to forget about this game and finish my current queue then pick it up when it hits PC.

between this and Armored Core it will finally drive me to get the current gen

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Lot of good they're doing now when you can launch playstation games in the browser huh? Keep saving that useless physical media though and convincing yourself it'll be different in the future!
Actually, I still maintain a CRT and enjoy retrogaming on the actual systems. It’s an odd collecting hobby. The only reason I do not have a ps1 or ps2 is my ex took them when we split. But yeah. That was exactly my point. My cognitive dissonance between console and pc.

I still have a raspberry PI with most of ps1 and back catalogs on same CRT. I’m well aware that on most of this shit there’s a shelf life. Parts are running out. Filters are so good now that you can make games on reasonable HD monitors not look a mess.

Lighten up.

spronk

FPS noob
just finished the demo, jesus christ that was some wild ass shit. i have no idea whats going on but i am totally in

• 7Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 7 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I still can’t wrap my head around not owning a physical game for a console. And it’s mental. Doing it for years on PC. Hell, I don’t think most physical copies do more than give you a code anymore to download the “real” game after the gold copy was busted.

With a console, I’m not ready to own nothing and be happy. I have a fuckton of ps1 games and zero way to play the actual discs though so…here we are.

I'd get a PS3 if you want to be able to play those PS1 games. Kept my PS2 and PS3 around for that reason (1 and 4 are now superfluous due to the BC).

Speaking of PS1, for anyone missing it, a modded Playstation Classic works wonders for emulating PS1. Have one with like a hundred games on it so I can pretty much play anything of note from the PS1 at any time even without the discs. Doesn't have any Armored Cores unfortunately. I got it pre-hacked so I don't know how to do it, don't ask. All I can say is that it works really well and is worth waaaaaay more than the $50 or so that it cost.

spronk spronk Yeah dog, that demo sold me on this game harder than any demo since the original FF7 demo probably...

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider

I'm conditioned to the point where I get annoyed by physical media since I actually have to get off my ass and put it in the system

• 2Pathetic
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Yeah I'm pretty pumped for this after the demo (and wasn't really at all prior to the demo). Looks great, suffers from a bit of technical stuff (I would never buy a console game again if I had the option to avoid 30fps bullshit), but the story seems really compelling and after FF14's last two expansions (which I play as just FF story games then bail) I'm pretty hype to see where this goes.

spronk

FPS noob
wed the 21st in the am, game releases ~12 hours later so yeah kinda short window but its japan

its already been confirmed as well a small day 1 patch with some bug fixes but apparently very minor, their plan was to ship with no day 1 patch. So disc installs should cover nearly everything.

picking my disc deluxe edition from best buy on the 22nd

wild thing i saw today was that the game was built around the english VA and the director even recommends you play with English VA and your lang subtitles. i thought jap games always were japanese first, kinda interesting

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Cybsled

Ya, the script, lip sync, and VA are all originally English. Technically everything else is a dub

They do something similar for FF14. They make 2 scripts: Japanese and English. All non-Japanese and English versions of the game technically use the Japanese script for translation. English basically gets its own version of the story and characters and the devs consider it overall superior to the Japanese script (the JP script has all the characters more or less speaking modernly)

CaughtCross

Vyemm Raider
wild thing i saw today was that the game was built around the english VA and the director even recommends you play with English VA and your lang subtitles. i thought jap games always were japanese first, kinda interesting

It is probably English first since Yoshi P is into Western stuff. The guy was playing Ultima Online back when it first came out back when PC gaming and stuff like that was not big in Japan.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Cybsled

Ya, he was playing stuff like UO and Everquest back in the day. He still tries to play new games (MMOs or not) when he can so he can keep a constant pulse on current gaming trends. I think most recently he was playing Elden Ring, which probably influenced some FF16 design decisions.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
just finished the demo, jesus christ that was some wild ass shit. i have no idea whats going on but i am totally in

This is peak gen Z and I love it.

OMG ITS AMAZING. FLASHES AND EXPLOSIONS EVERYWHERE. SHITS REAL. NO IDEA WHATS HAPPENING BUT TAKE MY MONEY!!!

That's okay. I feel that way too.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Imagine being a game studio having to pick which composer to select for your game from a short list like Masayoshi Soken, Keiichi Okabe, Mick Gordan, or Jesper Kyd. Would be rather funny hear what Gordan or Kyd would do for a Final Fantasy game.

• 1Solidarity

Qhue

Trump's Staff
Well I wasn't going to get it, but then I played the 'demo' (aka the first few hours of the game) and now I'm invested in the plot.

• 1Like

Amycus

Lord Nagafen Raider
I’ll echo a lot of what has been posted. I honestly gave zero fucks about this game, since 15 was so bad.

Played the demo without having any expectations and loved it. Loved the darker, more “grown up” tones, the grittier aesthetic. I’m pumped.

• 1Like