Final Fantasy I-VI Pixel Remaster Series

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
FF13 has a strong cast but they are strongly annoying and obnoxious.

This definitely made me snort.

Although, I'm struggling not to apply it to FFXIV's characters as well. With the exception of Thancred, there's not one among them I like.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Screenshot_20221217-235724_Final Fantasy VI.jpg

It's done! Clearly the best of the bunch, swaps the ability customisation of 5 for item/party customisation with a VERY strong story.

Final Tier List is 6-5-3-4-1-2 though 2 would be one or two places higher with some balancing.

World of Ruin is really epic but I was hesitant to start the last dungeon without a good party of 12 and didn't want to grind. Had a go anyway and it turns out that two good characters per party is all that is needed and the game forces you to have 5 given that you lose Locke/Celes/Terra at various parts of the game.

Terra and Celes in particular just wrecked everything with Flare and lv3 Elemental Magic. Sabin was my 5th pick for the final battle but Phantom Rush was doing almost max damage so regret taking Edgar over him for the first 3 phases. Holy Dragoon Edgar never quite materialised as a threat. Locke dual weilding Ultima Weapon and Valiant Knife was underwhelming too. Setzer whom I hadn't levelled much was wrecking shit with quad Fixed Dice though.

I guess it's on to 7 now?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
It's interesting to hear your thoughts on World of Ruin. Over the years I've really wished it had more direct interaction with Kefka, even if I get what they seemed to be going for v the World of Balance. Assembling the team and bunch of little treasure hunts is still fun, but it's lost something on replays over the years.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
It's interesting to hear your thoughts on World of Ruin. Over the years I've really wished it had more direct interaction with Kefka, even if I get what they seemed to be going for v the World of Balance. Assembling the team and bunch of little treasure hunts is still fun, but it's lost something on replays over the years.

Yeah, it amazes me to this day that WoB and WoR are like two totally different games and yet both come off as fully epic stories. But I'd have liked to see more with Kefka in WoR as well. He wins in WoB, then just sods off until the final battle.

Pretty incredible game altogether.

And yeah, on to 7 next. The HD ports on console are pretty awesome. I've got the PS4 version of FF7 HD. The trophy support gives you a little more to do with FF7/8/9 as well. 7 isn't hard to platinum and it gets you through all the side/postgame stuff, I recommend it. 8 and 9's platinums are significantly more difficult so might want to leave those alone. Going for all the super-weapons in FFX is a good way to croak on the series too. I think FF7 is the last one I really enjoyed 100%-ing.

• 1Like

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Yeah, it amazes me to this day that WoB and WoR are like two totally different games and yet both come off as fully epic stories. But I'd have liked to see more with Kefka in WoR as well. He wins in WoB, then just sods off until the final battle.

Pretty incredible game altogether.

And yeah, on to 7 next. The HD ports on console are pretty awesome. I've got the PS4 version of FF7 HD. The trophy support gives you a little more to do with FF7/8/9 as well. 7 isn't hard to platinum and it gets you through all the side/postgame stuff, I recommend it. 8 and 9's platinums are significantly more difficult so might want to leave those alone. Going for all the super-weapons in FFX is a good way to croak on the series too. I think FF7 is the last one I really enjoyed 100%-ing.

See the WoR doesn't come off like an epic story at all at this point. It feels like a lot of collect the team with small side stories and some treasure hunts while none of the main story is advanced in the slightest. There's the whole "Kefka actually succeeded in destroying the world!!!"...except he didn't, he just sits on his tower of trash while you collect everyone and power up to go wack him. WoR was meant to be more of a mini sandbox with how tight the story was in WoB. Which makes sense in a way, I just think as hyped as Kefka is as a villain he could have been so much more.

• 1Like

Chris

Potato del Grande
See the WoR doesn't come off like an epic story at all at this point. It feels like a lot of collect the team with small side stories and some treasure hunts while none of the main story is advanced in the slightest. There's the whole "Kefka actually succeeded in destroying the world!!!"...except he didn't, he just sits on his tower of trash while you collect everyone and power up to go wack him. WoR was meant to be more of a mini sandbox with how tight the story was in WoB. Which makes sense in a way, I just think as hyped as Kefka is as a villain he could have been so much more.
I really don't agree.

The world is fucked, down to having a different colour palette and layout. Vector, Doma and the Esper town are destroyed, Narshe is abandoned, Moblitz has only children left. Other towns have destroyed or empty buildings. Maybe we could have seen Kefka destroy one other town after we just left it but I feel like destroying too much makes it too depressing or setting up you undoing it (like in FF5).

The side stories are depressing and set up what Kefka is doing well enough. You are ants surrying around beneath the notice of God. It would lessen his power and threat if he interacted with you and you keep escaping (another FF5 mistake). It's all about picking yourself back up and finding hope with your first few comrades (Sabin and Edgar never gave up), then bringing hope to the rest.

These games have to balance being a story on rails and also player choice. Choosing the order to find party members and hunt for treasure give you a lot of agency and creates a lot of "game" to play, it's great. Too many games today put you on rails and play themselves for you, even allegedly open world games with their satnavs.

The game has two flaws which are:

1) Esper level up bonuses dissuade you from learning more spells. I got all Espers but only learned Flare on Terra, I didn't learn any other high level spells and was still using Firaga on Celes.

2) Asking you to use 12 party members in the final dungeon but not facilitating you using multiple parties enough before this point. FF10 solved that brilliantly.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
World of Ruin is where you get to delve into the backstory of all the characters. Makes it more character driven and less story driven in a sense. Still awesome imo.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
1) Esper level up bonuses dissuade you from learning more spells. I got all Espers but only learned Flare on Terra, I didn't learn any other high level spells and was still using Firaga on Celes.
Could've kept track of everyone's EXP and just swapped in the Espers with the good bonus when they're about to ding ^_^

Chris

Potato del Grande
Could've kept track of everyone's EXP and just swapped in the Espers with the good bonus when they're about to ding ^_^
That's too much imo, their levels were still low enough to ding every 2 fights in dino forest and I didn't bother with dino forest because I couldn't braindead grind it yet.

Tried to keep the game pleasant, only thing I did grinding for was resetting the Tonberry battle 10+ times to get a 2nd Minerva Bustier which was well worth it.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I really don't agree.

The world is fucked, down to having a different colour palette and layout. Vector, Doma and the Esper town are destroyed, Narshe is abandoned, Moblitz has only children left. Other towns have destroyed or empty buildings. Maybe we could have seen Kefka destroy one other town after we just left it but I feel like destroying too much makes it too depressing or setting up you undoing it (like in FF5).

The side stories are depressing and set up what Kefka is doing well enough. You are ants surrying around beneath the notice of God. It would lessen his power and threat if he interacted with you and you keep escaping (another FF5 mistake). It's all about picking yourself back up and finding hope with your first few comrades (Sabin and Edgar never gave up), then bringing hope to the rest.

These games have to balance being a story on rails and also player choice. Choosing the order to find party members and hunt for treasure give you a lot of agency and creates a lot of "game" to play, it's great. Too many games today put you on rails and play themselves for you, even allegedly open world games with their satnavs.

The game has two flaws which are:

2) Asking you to use 12 party members in the final dungeon but not facilitating you using multiple parties enough before this point. FF10 solved that brilliantly.

FF6's final dungeon has you using 12 party members and yeah this can be a problem for people who only used the same 4 for the most part. Cause you want at least 6 strong characters by that point.

If you have all 14 characters, you end up having to leave two of them behind. What two did other people leave on the airship? IIRC I'd always leave some combination of Setzer, Relm, Locke, and Umaro. I think Setzer was generally who I regarded as the worst character, not sure if I knew about Fixed Dice. At this point I think Relm is really good at spells, so I guess I'd probably leave Locke and Umaro. Umaro being un-controllable is a big detriment. But now that I think about it, one of the three statues uses ice attacks heavily (Doom/Demon?) so having Umaro in whatever group that is, with the Snow Muffler equipped, would make him worth it.

Tough call who to leave behind in this game.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Gotta include Umaro because how can you put Mog in a party without Umaro next to him???

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Gogo and Umaro are the auto-excludes, Umaro is just terrible and Gogo can't equip espers.

lol @ leaving out Locke when he could probably just solo one path of the tower.

• 1Like

Chris

Potato del Grande
FF6's final dungeon has you using 12 party members and yeah this can be a problem for people who only used the same 4 for the most part. Cause you want at least 6 strong characters by that point.

If you have all 14 characters, you end up having to leave two of them behind. What two did other people leave on the airship? IIRC I'd always leave some combination of Setzer, Relm, Locke, and Umaro. I think Setzer was generally who I regarded as the worst character, not sure if I knew about Fixed Dice. At this point I think Relm is really good at spells, so I guess I'd probably leave Locke and Umaro. Umaro being un-controllable is a big detriment. But now that I think about it, one of the three statues uses ice attacks heavily (Doom/Demon?) so having Umaro in whatever group that is, with the Snow Muffler equipped, would make him worth it.

Tough call who to leave behind in this game.
I left Gogo and Umaro, then to my horror discovered that Gau was somehow lv12 and Relm had no magic by default. So I should have left Gau and Relm.

I did make an effort to use everyone in World of Balance but the sections are so short that they really didn't get that many levels or magic.

Core of the party was Sabin and Edgar using their free AoE attacks, with Celes and Terra getting more useful as they learned more magic and Locke was levelled too for stealing.

With World of Ruin being more challenging I just wanted to get it all done efficiently and not grind up new characters.

Celes and Terra has tons of MP by the end and Gold Hairpins, so this is one of the few FF games where spamming normal attacks isn't really viable but regular magic is. Most of these games suck by giving you such little MP for most of the games though, it really incentivises physical attackers.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Gogo and Umaro are the auto-excludes, Umaro is just terrible and Gogo can't equip espers.

lol @ leaving out Locke when he could probably just solo one path of the tower.
The game isn't nearly hard enough that you'd need to exclude a character for their skills though. I haven't played since the original on SNES, always feel like I should replay at some point, but I remember clearing the game multiple times when I was a kid and I'd just go for chars I liked instead of strong ones. I hated Locke as a character for example so he was never in my main party and was usually underleveled. My favorites were Cyan/Sabin/Tera/Celes/Shadow/Gau, everyone else I just played when I was forced or almost not at all, I'd just scramble some shit for the last dungeon and slap some random gear I wasn't using on my mains on those guys and try to spread the "ok" chars 2:2 with the shitters to make semi decent parties.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
The game isn't nearly hard enough that you'd need to exclude a character for their skills though. I haven't played since the original on SNES, always feel like I should replay at some point, but I remember clearing the game multiple times when I was a kid and I'd just go for chars I liked instead of strong ones. I hated Locke as a character for example so he was never in my main party and was usually underleveled. My favorites were Cyan/Sabin/Tera/Celes/Shadow/Gau, everyone else I just played when I was forced or almost not at all, I'd just scramble some shit for the last dungeon and slap some random gear I wasn't using on my mains on those guys and try to spread the "ok" chars 2:2 with the shitters to make semi decent parties.
How can you hate Locke when he's the protagonist of half the game? I've never even tried to beat the game at as low a level as that screenshot Chris Chris posted which is probably why he had the audacity to call AtmaValiant 'underwhelming'.

• 1Like

Chris

Potato del Grande
How can you hate Locke when he's the protagonist of half the game? I've never even tried to beat the game at as low a level as that screenshot Chris Chris posted which is probably why he had the audacity to call AtmaValiant 'underwhelming'.
Oh shit, he needed more max health to do more damage right!? Glad I gave him a Red Cap, he was lower level than the rest.

Just ended up using him to spam Cura, Terra was doing ~10k damage a turn with dual Flare AND I forgot to turn Morph, Sabin was doing 9999 with Blitz... the boss only has 60k health so the battle lasted about 3 turns lol.

I minmaxed the fuck out of +2 Magic bonuses.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Final Stats:

FF1 - 12:01 Play Time
Lv47 White Mage/Warrior/Thief/Black Mage

FF2 - 14:40 Play Time

FF3 - 14:07 Play Time

Lv50 Ninja/Devout/Magus/Ninja

FF4 - 14:25 Play Time
Lv59

FF5 - 23:58 Play Time
Lv37 Monk&Ranger/White Mage&Blue Mage/Summoner&Time Mage/Monk&Ranger

FF6 - 29:10 Play Time
Lv38 Terra/Lv38 Celes/Lv38 Edgar/Lv35 Sabin/Lv34 Locke/Lv27 Mog/Lv25 Setzer (rest were useless).

No speedups or godmode or other games journalist features. Autobattle was a big help though.

• 1Galaxy Brain

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I mean the same way I hated Tidus and Vaan/Penelo I guess? Being the protagonist doesn't mean I like the character, I actually hated that there was so much Locke in fact and I was happy to drop him anytime he was there. Ended up hating the phoenix fire cave shit too because it was tied to Locke.

• 1Faggotry

Chris

Potato del Grande
I mean the same way I hated Tidus and Vaan/Penelo I guess? Being the protagonist doesn't mean I like the character, I actually hated that there was so much Locke in fact and I was happy to drop him anytime he was there. Ended up hating the phoenix fire cave shit too because it was tied to Locke.
You can leave him there.

Pretty sure in my first clear as a kid, everyone died escaping the tower because I missed half the characters and backtracked using a good party of 4 and running with the trash characters to beat the final dungeon.