Final Fantasy I-VI Pixel Remaster Series

Siliconemelons

Holy-bigoly I just got done reading the plot of FF4- after years.

The pacing and hits are so so parralel to FF4 that I cant help but feel that it is much a "FF4 Remake" as FF7 is to FF7 Remake - Much of what happens could have been easily what they wanted for FF4 but could not do - kind of like how many say FF4 is so short, and we also say FF6 WoB is so short if we try and think of it ending there as well. It very much seems like the Golbez thing @ the end of FF4 really is just the end of act 2- and the expanded things from After Years are what would have been Act 3- but being a new game they had to rehash things (and they did so essentially the same way as the original)

Anywho - I got everyone but Gogo and Strago - and feel painfully weak, main cast is ~level 25-27 with merely 1200-1400HPish... so it is time to grind. I have really low/no memory of WoR events, every time I recall it as a kid playing - I rushed through WoR to the tower thinking of it as merely a lame fetch quest to get my characters back. This time, I talked to people in the towns and stuff and really tried to follow the path. It kinda fell apart with Locke, there is not much of a hint of where to go to find him like the others- you just have to go out and explore and go places you have not been... same as the old guy Strago or whatever his name is, even Realm does not give much of a "Lets go find my grandpa!" you just have to go to the cult tower... you are given a few hints to go there, so I guess that is more than the Phoenix Cave... but I could have missed the NPC's that lead you to the Pheonix Cave, all the people I talked to about Locke are "He must be out looking for treasure!"

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Holy-bigoly I just got done reading the plot of FF4- after years.

The pacing and hits are so so parralel to FF4 that I cant help but feel that it is much a "FF4 Remake" as FF7 is to FF7 Remake - Much of what happens could have been easily what they wanted for FF4 but could not do - kind of like how many say FF4 is so short, and we also say FF6 WoB is so short if we try and think of it ending there as well. It very much seems like the Golbez thing @ the end of FF4 really is just the end of act 2- and the expanded things from After Years are what would have been Act 3- but being a new game they had to rehash things (and they did so essentially the same way as the original)

Anywho - I got everyone but Gogo and Strago - and feel painfully weak, main cast is ~level 25-27 with merely 1200-1400HPish... so it is time to grind. I have really low/no memory of WoR events, every time I recall it as a kid playing - I rushed through WoR to the tower thinking of it as merely a lame fetch quest to get my characters back. This time, I talked to people in the towns and stuff and really tried to follow the path. It kinda fell apart with Locke, there is not much of a hint of where to go to find him like the others- you just have to go out and explore and go places you have not been... same as the old guy Strago or whatever his name is, even Realm does not give much of a "Lets go find my grandpa!" you just have to go to the cult tower... you are given a few hints to go there, so I guess that is more than the Phoenix Cave... but I could have missed the NPC's that lead you to the Pheonix Cave, all the people I talked to about Locke are "He must be out looking for treasure!"

It's a good theory, but TAY came out like 18 years after FF4 and was made by a different team IIRC.

Far as I know the FF4 we got was the complete story as they intended it.

I'll say this though, I played FF4 looking for Culex (Mario RPG uberboss who is "from FF4" according to some game magazines at the time) and was pretty disappointed when he wasn't actually anywhere in the game. To this day, there's part of me that thinks there might be some version of FF4 out there, or some undiscovered code, of Culex. So the game feels incomplete to me for that reason. I get to the end and I still feel like "Who's this Zemus guy, where's Culex?"

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
but I could have missed the NPC's that lead you to the Pheonix Cave
In Owzer's Mansion in the WoR, Emperor Gestahl's portrait is hiding a letter that says a legendary treasure is hidden where the mountains form a star. That's supposed to connect all the Locke breadcrumbs together.

As for Strago, I think someone flat out mentions him having joined a cult right around the time you get to free-roam the WoR.

Dalien

Registered Hodor
I've been playing these over the past few months and it's been an absolute treat experiencing 1,4,5,6 again with the remastered soundtracks and QOL features, and playing 2 and 3 for the first time.

Got the platinums for 1-5 and it hasn't been too terrible, and now I'm about halfway through 6.

This Joker's Death trophy is absolute AIDS. I've spent about 3 hours so far auto-battling with Setzer on the Lethe River loop. Been killed about 50 times, nothing to show for it. Apparently some people have spent upwards of 10 hours to get it.

What a stupid ass trophy. I hope they fired the guy who came up with it.

joz123

Potato del Grande
I've been playing these over the past few months and it's been an absolute treat experiencing 1,4,5,6 again with the remastered soundtracks and QOL features, and playing 2 and 3 for the first time.

Got the platinums for 1-5 and it hasn't been too terrible, and now I'm about halfway through 6.

This Joker's Death trophy is absolute AIDS. I've spent about 3 hours so far auto-battling with Setzer on the Lethe River loop. Been killed about 50 times, nothing to show for it. Apparently some people have spent upwards of 10 hours to get it.

If you un-equip everything on Setzer there is a better chance to get it.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Rajaah was ranting about it during his trophy grinding spree, apparently the pixel remaster bugged the shit out of the slot odds.

Dalien

Registered Hodor
The problem is that there's two versions of Joker's Death. The one that kills the enemies and the one that kills you.

At the beginning of the battle it sets a 1/32 chance of even being able to roll the good one. Then you have to actually roll Joker's Death in that battle. Even if you do the manual pause trick to get all 7's, it won't let you land on that last 7 unless you met that 1/32 chance.

TL;DR: It's fucked.

My hope is that by complaining about it here, it will pop in the next hour.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>

Yeah, like he said, the PR version bugged the hell out of Joker Doom and it pissed me right off. Glad you got it eventually at least.

For anyone else doing this in the future: Be prepared for that Setzer trophy to be the most annoying one in the whole 1-6 PR series. I kept him in my party as much as possible for the whole game and used slots as much as it made sense to (aka not when far from a save point) and it took the entire game and then some grinding to get it.

Sounds like leaving the game running with autobattle (slots/defend x3) isn't the way to go here. That's what I did quite a bit of. Eventually it worked, after not working a lot. If each fight has a 1/32 chance of even allowing 7/7/7 then you're probably better off plowing through battles rather than sitting on one for 20 minutes that might not even be able to do it.

Joker Doom 7/7/7 was always ultra-rare, don't think I ever saw it on the SNES. So it was a dumb thing to do a trophy on. The real problem, and what is bugged, is that the anti-party version of Joker Doom now fires a LOT with slots. Way way more than the 7/7/7 version. There were times when I got two game overs in 10 minutes from it. At the end of the game I had something like 13 game overs total and NINE of them were from Setzer killing everyone.

Siliconemelons

FF6, sheesh... end of WoR my peeps were floating in the high 20's low 30's... started going around getting all the super shiny toys... now my bro's are in their 40's like gods. Give anyone a decent combo and its like, whew.

Edgar or Mog with dragoon boots and the other thing, droppping spears on heads for 8k 4x

Give anyone Gingi glove and master scroll with 2 of the top teir weapons, and its lululz

Everyone can just spam Ultima, magic girls dropping 9999's while the others are merely 5-7k lol

Dropped dowm to Kefka's tower- had 2 uber parties and then Sabin and reject co getting diced lol they managed to take out the boss they ran into - but I need to spread out the uber gear some ;-) the other 2 groups are just nuts... spam attack and whatever shows up dies. haha

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
FF6, sheesh... end of WoR my peeps were floating in the high 20's low 30's... started going around getting all the super shiny toys... now my bro's are in their 40's like gods. Give anyone a decent combo and its like, whew.

Edgar or Mog with dragoon boots and the other thing, droppping spears on heads for 8k 4x

Give anyone Gingi glove and master scroll with 2 of the top teir weapons, and its lululz

Everyone can just spam Ultima, magic girls dropping 9999's while the others are merely 5-7k lol

Dropped dowm to Kefka's tower- had 2 uber parties and then Sabin and reject co getting diced lol they managed to take out the boss they ran into - but I need to spread out the uber gear some ;-) the other 2 groups are just nuts... spam attack and whatever shows up dies. haha

Yeah that's the ridiculous OPness of FF6 characters and why it'd be hard to give the game a true uberboss. FF6A took a good enough stab at the concept with Kaiser Dragon, while some Romhacks of the SNES version have made their own Kaiser (or Czar) Dragon and gone beyond what FF6A did. Still it seems like it'd be almost impossible to make a true super-hard boss in this game.

I'd like to try it myself if I were to lern 2 romhack. The Io model is RIGHT THERE and looks like it should be the game's Omega. Be interesting to try and build something that poses an actual threat. Most people would probably just give it 10M HP and call it a day, but I'd say 1M HP and a bunch of tricks would make for a much better fight. Counters, ability to drop Image status on itself, and use of Fallen One + statuses could all tip the scales.

Siliconemelons

lol Kefka had like 5hp

the music for the ending is awesome as have been all the new arrangements

Time to get ultra swol and just see how insane I can get for the lulz

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
lol Kefka had like 5hp

the music for the ending is awesome as have been all the new arrangements

Time to get ultra swol and just see how insane I can get for the lulz

On PS4/5, FF7 HD, FF8 Remastered, FF9 HD, FFX+X2, and FF12 The Zodiac Age are all really worthy remasters (with platinum trophies) if one wants to keep the FF train going for six more games after finishing the PR series. I definitely recommend all of them. I've tooled around with all of them for 5-10 hours each (making strong early-game parties, mainly) and they look really good on modern TVs.

I damn near started another platinum journey myself with those until I decided I'd killed enough man-hours on the first six and curbed the impulse.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
i was playing this on the plane on switch (had to pay an extra 30bucks for a real cartridge), i don't remember the pc version having no encounter/run/walk, quality of life stuff?

Siliconemelons

Switch version has * completed game after you beat the game, so you can get all the super duper items etc. when some of the guide for the pixel remaster does says it does not, but the switch did.

Dalien

Registered Hodor
Pixel Remaster (the PS4 version at least) lets you make a * save after beating the game, so you can go back and try to fill out bestiary, chests etc.

Siliconemelons

I think it was added sometime after the initial steam release, guide I read are mostly from then- I think there has been some other improvements such as the above mentioned press on/off encounters etc.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>

This is a really good FF6 hack from what I've played. Sounds like it makes the endgame much more interesting by getting rid of the Genji/Offering spam.

If I hadn't just played FF6 PR a few months ago and had some free time I'd give this a run.

If anyone does, lemme know how it goes.

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
Not quite a pixel remaster question, maybe we should change the thread to all things FF? but another question in my quest to replay all FF 1 -> X(skipping 11 as it's online and I have tried it and I always come in and out of FFXIV the other online one).

I learned from interwebs and this thread that FFVII Remake Intergrade is not just a rework like pixel remaster but a new/different game based on the same story. Is that also the case with the FFVIII and FFVII Remastered?

The only ones I am skipping are:
  • FFIV After Years(for now, I may actually suck it up and go back to do this)
  • DISSIDIA: Apparently a gotcha type iphone game that has no player base anymore, gets total shit reviews, etc. Unless someone from here speaks up no plans to do this
  • The 3D remakes of 3/4 since they are just 3D remakes and I did the pixel remaster versions
  • I have tried WOTV but not really my thing and another ipad style game
  • I am currently playing FF7EC(the new ipad one) but I can easily see myself getting bored of the standard ipad gatcha style game after a month or two
  • I tried Brave Exvius but it's the same as the other two phone games above
  • Loved Record Keeper until they closed the servers and I can't be bothered to pretend to be from Korea or whatever region is still online, sounds complicated to do that crap
  • Played Dimensions but that also seemed like a never-ending phone game

Basically my main question is about FF8 above, but curious if I am incorrect on any of those never ending phone games being worth the effort. I am looking to play the ones that start and finish outside of FF14

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user