Final Fantasy VII Remake

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Vanessa

Uncle Tanya
<Banned>
Is part of the issue that this is now broken into episodes and that FF15 was released well before it was anywhere finished due to scaling complexity in actually creating these games?

I.E. Do creating new assets take up the bulk of game creation nowadays? Or is it about working with a new game engine or... what?

Because it's just so so so heartbreaking this is going to just be Midgar (or less).

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Is part of the issue that this is now broken into episodes and that FF15 was released well before it was anywhere finished due to scaling complexity in actually creating these games?

I.E. Do creating new assets take up the bulk of game creation nowadays? Or is it about working with a new game engine or... what?

Because it's just so so so heartbreaking this is going to just be Midgar (or less).

I think the fact that they keep coming up with garbage and scrapping it but trying to keep to the original time line is the biggest issue that keeps fucking them up. They scrap most of the game and story after a couple years only to try to cobble together and fix a mess then run out of time. If that is what fucks this game up they should be ashamed, it’s already all laid out. Ifthey fuck it up by trying to add unnecessary shit that doesn’t gel with what’s already there or try holding things back for DLC, they’re fucking lost.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Square also mismanaged both FFXIV and ffxv

Remember ffxiii versus?

Yeah versus got fucked for so long it became XV. They did the same shit with XII too, that’s why there is barely any story, no main character, and the whole plot is just confusing and uninteresting.

• 1Truth!

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Square also mismanaged both FFXIV and ffxv

Remember ffxiii versus?

You do have to say that XIV is basically one of the best redemption stories of all time. Obviously it's not for everyone but the turnaround that game made after how bad the initial game was is pretty amazing. That's why I hope Yoshida is heading XVI, but I hope it doesn't make XIV suffer if he's working on both.

• 2Like

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
You do have to say that XIV is basically one of the best redemption stories of all time. Obviously it's not for everyone but the turnaround that game made after how bad the initial game was is pretty amazing. That's why I hope Yoshida is heading XVI, but I hope it doesn't make XIV suffer if he's working on both.
Absolutely. I got Shadowbringers when it launched and levelled a warrior from 1 through the end of msq and into raids. I think it's incredible

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Merrith

Absolutely. I got Shadowbringers when it launched and levelled a warrior from 1 through the end of msq and into raids. I think it's incredible

Respect for having the patience to go through the loooooooooong bit of MSQ between ARR and HW while still playing all the way through ShB.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Respect for having the patience to go through the loooooooooong bit of MSQ between ARR and HW while still playing all the way through ShB.
It's AIDs, but then so is the main ARR storyline anyway so you are well prepared.

Heavensward was great though. Stormblood was a huge disappointment in comparison.

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>

That's my main hope with this, that once all of the assets are done for Episode 1, the other (hopefully only 2) parts will be much easier/faster to develop.

The only Square property that I ever wanted to see get an episodic re-release...is Xenogears. I mean it's Episode 5 of a six-part story. Always wanted to play the rest, especially Episode 4 with the big war. Xenosaga wasn't it. At least Xenoblade X revived a lot of its ideas.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
That's my main hope with this, that once all of the assets are done for Episode 1, the other (hopefully only 2) parts will be much easier/faster to develop.

The only Square property that I ever wanted to see get an episodic re-release...is Xenogears. I mean it's Episode 5 of a six-part story. Always wanted to play the rest, especially Episode 4 with the big war. Xenosaga wasn't it. At least Xenoblade X revived a lot of its ideas.
If they're only doing midgard I guarantee they don't have assets in place for the other 90% of the game

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Merrith

It's AIDs, but then so is the main ARR storyline anyway so you are well prepared.

Heavensward was great though. Stormblood was a huge disappointment in comparison.

the end of the ARR stuff right before HW was pretty good. Also I don't view SB as negatively compared to HW as most, granted the HW stuff was great, it just left what I consider to be the actual "main' story line quite a bit, so getting back to that in SB was actually nice.

Chris

Potato del Grande
the end of the ARR stuff right before HW was pretty good. Also I don't view SB as negatively compared to HW as most, granted the HW stuff was great, it just left what I consider to be the actual "main' story line quite a bit, so getting back to that in SB was actually nice.
I think the issue is that the main storyline is shit, Heavensward had a nice original story.

There's a big evil empire taking over like in half the other Final Fantasy games and they have FF12 Empire Judges, FF6 Empire Tech and are being manipulated by a cult to resurrect a super being from the Ivalice pantheon like in FFT.

There's nothing new there. Only interesting thing about Stormblood was the emo faggot prince fucking salty scorned women on two continents.

Merrith

I think the issue is that the main storyline is shit, Heavensward had a nice original story.

There's a big evil empire taking over like in half the other Final Fantasy games and they have FF12 Empire Judges, FF6 Empire Tech and are being manipulated by a cult to resurrect a super being from the Ivalice pantheon like in FFT.

There's nothing new there. Only interesting thing about Stormblood was the emo faggot prince fucking salty scorned women on two continents.

Yeah I don't mean the Empire stuff, I mean more the Ascians and the story line stuff behind the 13 "stars". Although the Garlean Empire is intertwined with that. HW kind of left the main struggle for its own stuff, which was good...just very self contained. And the whole big cliffhanger with finding the rest of your party wasn't some epic quest to find them you pretty much just found them pretty easy in interludes between the HW story. I enjoyed the SB story line for what it was and bringing the Ascian influence back to the foreground. Obviously Shadowbringers took that and ran full speed with it and was absolutely amazing in every way.

bigmark268

Vyemm Raider
So I watched one of the hour long demo play throughs. It was pretty and flashy. But the colors did feel rather muted from the original, and that game play still looks overly actiony for my personal likes. I hope once you choose the right settings it's a bit close to the original.

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
So I watched one of the hour long demo play throughs. It was pretty and flashy. But the colors did feel rather muted from the original, and that game play still looks overly actiony for my personal likes. I hope once you choose the right settings it's a bit close to the original.

Probably not, this remake isn't exclusively aimed at people that played the original, and given how much the market has grown you can be sure they'll invest a lot into attracting a broad segment of the current audience. This doesn't combine with classic turn based mechanics.

• 1Tiresome

yimmien

Molten Core Raider
Good thing it's only Midgar so we all still have time to finish it in the 6 days before Cyberpunk releases.

• 2Worf
  • 2Like
Reactions: 3 users

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Probably not, this remake isn't exclusively aimed at people that played the original, and given how much the market has grown you can be sure they'll invest a lot into attracting a broad segment of the current audience. This doesn't combine with classic turn based mechanics.
Didn't they add a classic combat mode for people that want the original style? Doubt anyone is going to showcase that for a demo playthrough.

Merrith

Well it looks like this has been delayed till April 10th.

They should have just acknowledged the Demo when it leaked. What are they going to try to put the first 2 chapters in a "new playable demo" to release prior now?

• 1Solidarity