Final Fantasy VII Remake

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
It fell apart for me in the second map where you start unlocking the side quests and they were more like throwaway copy and pasted series of busywork quests that you'd find in other games. The narrative up to that point was boring and confusing, the combat had been ass right out of the gate, and knowing that the side content wasn't even worth wasting time on just sealed the deal.

It's astounding that it took them so many years to push out such a terrible product. They at least had the decency to unfuck FF14 when they did the same with that.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
It fell apart for me in the second map where you start unlocking the side quests and they were more like throwaway copy and pasted series of busywork quests that you'd find in other games. The narrative up to that point was boring and confusing, the combat had been ass right out of the gate, and knowing that the side content wasn't even worth wasting time on just sealed the deal.

It's astounding that it took them so many years to push out such a terrible product. They at least had the decency to unfuck FF14 when they did the same with that.
My real review would be something about how the graphics were mostly great, but everything else sucked.

MMO quests are boring, but whatever it's the standard now. But the story is the worst offender. Requiring a 2 hour movie to even begin to understand the start of the game? SUPER LAME. Storylines that make no sense. It really truly bugged me how each character left your party for awhile and said "yeah I had an awesome adventure" and that was it. It was very clear that those were DLC insertion points - and guess what, each of them was. Finding all the king weapons was pointless. None of them were great, and the system for using them was retarded. The way health worked was stupid. "throwing" spells? Come on. Last boss was a joke.

Another infuriating part is being on maps that were clearly cut. I remember someone exploring parts of maps that were never used. Some of those were for DLC (SO IT WAS CUT FROM THE BASE GAME), and some were used for nothing at all. I mean, look at the final couple areas before the last boss. There was so much more that could've been there, and it just felt like empty halls filled with behemoths. It definitely felt like we were supposed to be in a grand area at the end, but instead they rushed us through where we fought this stupid boss outside in the street.

People said FF13 was the bad game.. and it was bad. But I'd rather replay FF13 1-3 instead of this garbage game. At least I mostly enjoyed that one.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>

I want everyone to read this, and know this is the same company coming out with an FF7 Remake at full price, 15-20% of the game, at most, and think long and hard with a Visa card taped to your head like the great Carnac to see how this will play out when given 2 years dev time.

1578601862560.png

• 1Like

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I want everyone to read this, and know this is the same company coming out with an FF7 Remake at full price, 15-20% of the game, at most, and think long and hard with a Visa card taped to your head like the great Carnac to see how this will play out when given 2 years dev time.

View attachment 242293

I tend to look at it less at the company level versus various design teams. This is what gives me hope for XVI if Yoshida is really the one helming that. Because XIV has been amazing, especially this latest expansion.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
I tend to look at it less at the company level versus various design teams. This is what gives me hope for XVI if Yoshida is really the one helming that. Because XIV has been amazing, especially this latest expansion.

Well in that case I hate to tell you the Producer of the original shitstorm of FF14 before realm reborn is jacked in on all sides on this one. Hiromichi Tanaka.

Merrith

Well in that case I hate to tell you the Producer of the original shitstorm of FF14 before realm reborn is jacked in on all sides on this one. Hiromichi Tanaka.

Curious what Yoshida is working on then, because he has said it's not another MMO. Something separate then?

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Curious what Yoshida is working on then, because he has said it's not another MMO. Something separate then?

Oh, may be a miscommunication there. I would bet FF16 is with Yoshida. I was talking about the Producer for FF7 Remake. The producer behind the FF7 Remake is the same Producer who completely railroaded FF14 in 2010.

Merrith

Oh, may be a miscommunication there. I would bet FF16 is with Yoshida. I was talking about the Producer for FF7 Remake. The producer behind the FF7 Remake is the same Producer who completely railroaded FF14 in 2010.

Does he have oversight over Kitase and Nomura, though? I thought those two were heading it all

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Does he have oversight over Kitase and Nomura, though? I thought those two were heading it all

Wait my bad. I read that all wrong. That bad guy left in 2012.

All these guys now were responsible for FF13.

Last edited:

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
The best final fantasy game of the modern era has been FFXIV Shadowbringers.

The storyline of that expansion was tight and well crafted with a FANTASTIC villian and excellent narrative.

It is a MMO and you do have to suffer through the vanilla questline to get to the fantastic first expansion questline then into the mediocre second expansion questline to get to the extremely good current expansion.

It's like...hidden because it's a MMO but it's a grade A final fantasy story.

They are streamlining the vanilla questline soon to make it quicker but Shadowbringers was fucking awesome.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Rude

Potato del Grande
My real review would be something about how the graphics were mostly great, but everything else sucked.

MMO quests are boring, but whatever it's the standard now. But the story is the worst offender. Requiring a 2 hour movie to even begin to understand the start of the game? SUPER LAME. Storylines that make no sense. It really truly bugged me how each character left your party for awhile and said "yeah I had an awesome adventure" and that was it. It was very clear that those were DLC insertion points - and guess what, each of them was. Finding all the king weapons was pointless. None of them were great, and the system for using them was retarded. The way health worked was stupid. "throwing" spells? Come on. Last boss was a joke.

Another infuriating part is being on maps that were clearly cut. I remember someone exploring parts of maps that were never used. Some of those were for DLC (SO IT WAS CUT FROM THE BASE GAME), and some were used for nothing at all. I mean, look at the final couple areas before the last boss. There was so much more that could've been there, and it just felt like empty halls filled with behemoths. It definitely felt like we were supposed to be in a grand area at the end, but instead they rushed us through where we fought this stupid boss outside in the street.

People said FF13 was the bad game.. and it was bad. But I'd rather replay FF13 1-3 instead of this garbage game. At least I mostly enjoyed that one.
Preach, this is what I'm saying. Worst game in the series hands down. And it'll definitely have influence in 7R because of Nomura

Merrith

Preach, this is what I'm saying. Worst game in the series hands down. And it'll definitely have influence in 7R because of Nomura

I just have a hard time seeing a game worse than I thought XIII was. Personally I never could stand VIII either, but XIII definitely more universally hated among the fans while VIII does have pretty vocal crowd that loved it. Of course with how you all rate it, makes it hard to ever want to play it when the best anyone rates it is as a mediocre disappointment.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I just have a hard time seeing a game worse than I thought XIII was. Personally I never could stand VIII either, but XIII definitely more universally hated among the fans while VIII does have pretty vocal crowd that loved it. Of course with how you all rate it, makes it hard to ever want to play it when the best anyone rates it is as a mediocre disappointment.

I enjoyed XIII more than XV. I fucking hated some of the characters In XIII with a passion though, while XV’s were all fine.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider

View attachment 242293
You’re sounding kinda poor bro. Doesn’t the NFL give you a pension or something?

jk, this will probably be garbage

• 1Like

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I enjoyed XIII more than XV. I fucking hated some of the characters In XIII with a passion though, while XV’s were all fine.
I hated XVs characters haha. I only hated how downy everyone was in 13 and their dumbass names.

• 1Worf

Merrith

Maybe I'll have to try it just to compare. I didn't find anything redeeming about XIII save the combat system being somewhat interesting...but since they kept you in the tutorial and basically artificially blocked your leveling in every section for most of the game even that didn't shine.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I’m not really an anime fan so maybe it’s just me but the first few minutes of this are so fucking cringey bad. This is the kind of shit I think of when I think of what I disliked about XIII so much, the cut scenes and characters. Riding the motorcycle around those loops of ice while machine gun battling is just so fucking gay.

• 2Like
  • 1Tiresome
Reactions: 2 users