Final Fantasy VII Remake

Chris

Potato del Grande
Examples of these tricks?

I’m still very early, running around junkyards kill rats so it probably doesn’t apply to me but so far it’s use spells they’re weak to. Push or hold Square, press triangle sometimes. Use menu shortcuts to use abilities and stuff. Curious what tricks get opened up that aren’t going to be apparent.
Tifa Uppercut and Divekick.

Uppercut has her jump up as part of the attack then she can't do anything until she lands so she's now vulnerable.

Divekick has her jump up before the attack leaving her vulnerable, then she kicks down to the ground.

If you cast Divekick when she is in the air from Uppercut, she is already in the air so you skip the vulnerable part of both attacks.

Most tricks are Tifa tricks, she goes from useless to incredible as you learn how to play.

Using a lot of the various ATB Boost materias tend to be part of all the insane combos.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
I think the biggest trick you'll see in most videos is having the materia/skill that starts your fight with 1+ bars of energy so you can immediately cast whatever spell and blow whatever you are fighting up or immediately stun/daze them. After that, shit like Aeris field buff that doubles spell damage, tifa's absurd APM skills and the like come into play

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
  • 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>

Good. I'd like to see them work on FF16 and FF7R-2, -3, etc instead of piecemealing it out like FF15.

I couldn't stand how FF15 went. The game itself was alright, but it was clearly EXTREMELY unfinished. It looked like around 80% of the game world had been cut (going off of early concept world maps compared to the actual game's world map). You take a train from one area to another area, and pass by a lot of stuff in-between that looks fleshed-out from a distance, but isn't explorable ingame. There were also a ton of interesting-looking areas on the map that you go nowhere near in the actual game, like a tropical area and a snowy kingdom. At the end of the game you get what is essentially a dark version of the world, but you can't explore much of it and are rushed right to the final area. It's yet another thing that feels like it was supposed to be a major area (like in FFVI where the dark version of the world is like half the game). Even the final area, the city of Insomnia which is so crucial to the game, is significantly scaled-down compared to all of the concept art and what the cutscenes show. Most of it isn't explorable, and you basically run down one street. They DID make more of Insomnia, it just didn't make it into the game. They repurposed the unused area of Insomnia for a DLC at least.

In short, they released a completely scaled-down game, then added DLCs to it over time using unused assets/areas. I wasn't too interested in revisiting the game over and over to play new two-hour chunks; I wanted a finished game. I only played FF15 once, only the main game, and it was the most forgettable game in the series for me. I guess at some point I should revisit it again with all of the DLCs factored in and see if it feels more complete now. Point is, I don't want to see FF16 end up like that. I'm very intrigued by FF16's apparent return to the basics (a medieval setting and crystals, much like FF9) and hope they devote the resources to it that it deserves this time. FF7R-2 I'm less enthused about and expect it to go Full Kingdom Hearts, but maybe it won't.

As for tricks in FF7R, the posts above were solid answers. A lot of it comes down to Tifa and Aerith both being really deep in terms of what their abilities can do. Aerith has an ability that creates a wall to block enemy attacks, and an ability that puts up a double-cast aura. You can use these together to hide behind a barrier and spam a boss with their weakness (very useful against Hell House). 2x -aga spells going off at once is as big of an impact as anything in the game makes.

Tifa on the other hand is just complex, I don't remember it well enough to explain. Giving her the right combinations of materia will make her ATB bar fill up super-fast while spamming certain attacks, and she can dish out massive sustained damage if you're using the right materia and using her abilities in the right order.

For most of the game on Easy you can pretty much get by with just spamming things with magic or physical attacks. The real strategy / high damage output / tricks come into play in Hard mode, where you actually need to know them in order to win boss fights and whatnot. Also, in Hard mode you have access to everything you collected during the game, so if you were thorough in the original playthrough, you can customize your party fully right from the get-go in Hard mode and start trying some new things. It's more difficult to make yourself OP or customize your party to murder in the original non-Hard game when you don't get a lot of the good materia until the second half of the game.

• 1Like

Chris

Potato del Grande
Good. I'd like to see them work on FF16 and FF7R-2, -3, etc instead of piecemealing it out like FF15.

I couldn't stand how FF15 went. The game itself was alright, but it was clearly EXTREMELY unfinished. It looked like around 80% of the game world had been cut (going off of early concept world maps compared to the actual game's world map). You take a train from one area to another area, and pass by a lot of stuff in-between that looks fleshed-out from a distance, but isn't explorable ingame. There were also a ton of interesting-looking areas on the map that you go nowhere near in the actual game, like a tropical area and a snowy kingdom. At the end of the game you get what is essentially a dark version of the world, but you can't explore much of it and are rushed right to the final area. It's yet another thing that feels like it was supposed to be a major area (like in FFVI where the dark version of the world is like half the game). Even the final area, the city of Insomnia which is so crucial to the game, is significantly scaled-down compared to all of the concept art and what the cutscenes show. Most of it isn't explorable, and you basically run down one street. They DID make more of Insomnia, it just didn't make it into the game. They repurposed the unused area of Insomnia for a DLC at least.

In short, they released a completely scaled-down game, then added DLCs to it over time using unused assets/areas. I wasn't too interested in revisiting the game over and over to play new two-hour chunks; I wanted a finished game. I only played FF15 once, only the main game, and it was the most forgettable game in the series for me. I guess at some point I should revisit it again with all of the DLCs factored in and see if it feels more complete now. Point is, I don't want to see FF16 end up like that. I'm very intrigued by FF16's apparent return to the basics (a medieval setting and crystals, much like FF9) and hope they devote the resources to it that it deserves this time. FF7R-2 I'm less enthused about and expect it to go Full Kingdom Hearts, but maybe it won't.

As for tricks in FF7R, the posts above were solid answers. A lot of it comes down to Tifa and Aerith both being really deep in terms of what their abilities can do. Aerith has an ability that creates a wall to block enemy attacks, and an ability that puts up a double-cast aura. You can use these together to hide behind a barrier and spam a boss with their weakness (very useful against Hell House). 2x -aga spells going off at once is as big of an impact as anything in the game makes.

Tifa on the other hand is just complex, I don't remember it well enough to explain. Giving her the right combinations of materia will make her ATB bar fill up super-fast while spamming certain attacks, and she can dish out massive sustained damage if you're using the right materia and using her abilities in the right order.

For most of the game on Easy you can pretty much get by with just spamming things with magic or physical attacks. The real strategy / high damage output / tricks come into play in Hard mode, where you actually need to know them in order to win boss fights and whatnot. Also, in Hard mode you have access to everything you collected during the game, so if you were thorough in the original playthrough, you can customize your party fully right from the get-go in Hard mode and start trying some new things. It's more difficult to make yourself OP or customize your party to murder in the original non-Hard game when you don't get a lot of the good materia until the second half of the game.
Wait... Aerith can block attacks!?

Merrith

The stuff you can do with Tifa is downright crazy. Watching videos of people on youtube just doing insane shit.

Merrith

Post teh links breh.

Pretty sure I posted a video or two in this thread months back, but here's this one again, mostly endgame stuff

This one is more building from early game

There's tons more all over youtube and elsewhere that do not take much time to find.

• 1Like

Merrith

Same dude has a pretty in depth advanced shit, too. Fuck he has stuff for every character as well, guess I'll have to watch these before I do another replay.

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
At the part with aeris now. When we were sitting on a slide she told me she used to love zack. Was that in the old one? I don’t remember the zack reveal until late in the first game. I know they’ve changed some shit but I don’t really remember the original well enough to know exactly what changed.

Malakriss

At the part with aeris now. When we were sitting on a slide she told me she used to love zack. Was that in the old one? I don’t remember the zack reveal until late in the first game. I know they’ve changed some shit but I don’t really remember the original well enough to know exactly what changed.
You got snippets of Zack through Cloud backstory in original FF7 but the meat of the Aerith x Zack story was FF7: Crisis Core on PSP which was a prequel. Zack was coming back to Midgar and his flowergirl.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
You got snippets of Zack through Cloud backstory in original FF7 but the meat of the Aerith x Zack story was FF7: Crisis Core on PSP which was a prequel. Zack was coming back to Midgar and his flowergirl.
Oh, ok. I never played or watched anything ff7 related other than first game and advent children. I just remember cloud had a bunch of zacks memories as his own. And that cloud wasn’t really soldier, just remembering zacks life as his own. It seems like he would have remembered Aeris, but he only remembered a few battles and riding in a truck and stuff.

Chris

Potato del Grande
In the original she mentions Cloud reminding her of her boyfriend who was in SOLDIER, in the remake she actually says the name but Cloud's subconscious censors it.

After that there's multiple hints from Aeris and Tifa.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Alright finished this, bought it along with my PS5 and played through it, then 100%'d the rest(including all the play log stuff that doesn't have achievements). Pretty fun game. The visuals are amazing(other than shitty textures here and there), the music is amazing, nothing surprising here it's FF.

The story is alright I was never a huge FF7 fan I liked it a lot but only played it once, back in the days, so my memories of the original stories were minimal unlike say FF6 which I played half a dozen of times when I was a kid so even though it's been even longer since I played it, I could probably write most of the story off the top of my head. Still I liked the current one, it is a lot longer and there's some additions but I liked what they did with some of the side characters and just the main character when voiced having small talk stuff and what not makes them a lot more endearing.

From my understanding however the ending means they're basically scrapping the whole rest of the story and remixing it however they want, which is a weird design decision after going through the first game like this. Feel like they could have done that from the start instead of pretending like there's a "reason" for it, it's just some weird ghosts. It also feels like it means Aerith won't die, which on one hand, I really like her as a character, but on the other hand it was a large part of what made FF7 memorable, one of the main character dying so early, and for real(unlike Shadow in FF6 for example).

Still as someone who doesn't care too much about the original I'm fine with changes as long as the story stays interesting.

In terms of gameplay, this is probably the best action FF they've done. It's however still not Tales, imo. Like Tifa plays well and is probably more fun than most Tales characters, but the rest is kinda meh. Part of it is the weird ATB restrictions, where you have to spend a bunch of time autoattacking to build ATB to use your proper stuff. Tales doesn't do that, you can attack but it's mostly meant to extend combos or regenerate TP(which is basically mp just it works on non magic stuff too) slowly when you're out. In return it means they can make casters fun by letting them combo spells, instead of casting one spell then attacking for a while before you can cast another spell and so on. The fact they also couldn't balance items at all so they removed them entirely from Hard Mode is weird, since in Normal I barely used any item at all(spending an ATB bar on an item is generally a waste of time, besides the first 15mins of the game).

Still it was pretty enjoyable to play, each character plays fairly uniquely and has a nice variation of skills and there's some interesting things you can do with materias and weapon skills, and again Tifa is just very fun, largely because she gets ATB so much faster you can actually use your skills unlike other characters, plus her skills are just really cool.

Difficulty was on the low side for the first playthrough imo, could use a higher difficulty inbetween NG+/Hard Mode and the current stuff. On hardmode though near the end of the game there were some pretty challenging fights, the VR stuff and the last boss were somewhat challenging for example and a bunch of bosses I just kinda finished with some people dead. Felt like Hard Mode was about right difficulty wise, sucks it was only for NG+.

Metalhead

Blackwing Lair Raider
I bet they don't kill Aerith this time around due to some time manipulation fuckery, or she dies but comes back later due to the same.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I bet they don't kill Aerith this time around due to some time manipulation fuckery, or she dies but comes back later due to the same.

Yeah, they've basically gone "nothing matters anymore lol" with the Whispers bullshit. They're Kingdom Hearts-ing FFVII.

• 1Picard
  • 1Barf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Cybsled

one of the main character dying so early, and for real(unlike Shadow in FF6 for example).

Shadow only died if you didn’t wait for him for like 30 seconds on the floating island. Most of the major character deaths were 100% easily avoidable, like Mog and Cid.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I hope they kill her again but more brutally like decapitation. Her head rolls into clouds feet. Make it traumatizing.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Droigan

Trakanon Raider

Last thing Sephiroth says in the remake is "Seven seconds till' the end, time enough for you perhaps, but what will you do with it? Lets see"

From the time Sephiroth starts falling to the point he stabs her takes seven seconds in the original cut scene.

Malakriss

Wow it's almost like you went back in time and reposted a debunked reddit theory there

• 2Worf
  • 2Like
Reactions: 3 users